Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

$5. That’s the difference. Hardly worth a tweet, never mind any serious press.

If the venue is worth the entrance fee, I go in. If it’s not, I don’t. That’s the extent of my rights.

To those who insist that everyone pay the same price, be careful what you wish for.

If everyone had to pay the white guy price, there wouldn’t be hordes of locals paying a small fee, and covering a lot of the overhead. The place may go broke, or they may have to curtail services.

If everyone paid the discounted locals price, they’d have the hordes, but probably not the revenue to stay open and provide reasonable services and maintenance.

It’s about revenue required for overhead absorption and it’s a very common business practice throughout the hospitality industry. That’s why there are corporate rates at hotels and you can pay anywhere from $50 to $500 for the same seat on the same flight on the same airplane.

So, while I have the right to decide for myself, I don’t have the right to decide for everyone.

And if I ever get fed up with the “racism”, I’ll hop on a plane and head home instead of whining about the silly little brown people who happen to own the place, and decide how they want to run their country. Why anyone stays in a hotel where they hate the practices of the owner and the staff, I’ll never understand. Why anyone stays in a country where they hate the local customs, ditto.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

That this type of discrimination is becoming more commonplace is not a surprise. When economies go sour, and authoritarian governments flourish, nationalism comes into play, and inevitably racism as well.

The current dual pricing scheme has no rational basis. If it were related to cost, the differential would be much less. As a strategy for enhancing tourism, it is obviously counterproductive. Besides, as the customary practice is to not post foreigner prices, it is a deceitful scheme, officially sanctioned no less.

1.. of course i do not like to pay an inflated price..

2.. of course it may not be good for the tourist industry..

but.. i must admit that my country..australia...and most western countries also have dual pricing systems..

wait... wait.. before you shout me down..

when back in australia..i ride for free in the public transport system because i am over 60.. students and the unemployed also get reduced rates.

many other venues i get a reduced rate even at some coffee shops.

i.e. those whi have pay extra.

sorry..jyst pinting out a fact

I stopped going to double standard visitor attractions parks and temples years ago and if I have friend over on holiday I just let them go inside after telling them they are being ripped off with the entrance fees and I wait outside for them to finish their visit, best way is vote with your feet not that I am a greedy farang just a farang with principals and being made a fool of for an entrance fee is one I dont do.

• Like 2

It's his fault for looking foreign, obviously.

I refuse to take my boy to Thai national parks because of the dual pricing and I am certain I am not alone in boycotting their national parks. I am from the UK and everything at home is free or costs the same for everyone. I will not support what I see as Thai racism. I have traveled widely (26 countries and counting) and Thailand's dual pricing is not common elsewhere from my experiences, certainly not 10x the price.

This is not news but just another confirmation that Thailand is a deeply racist society and that is not going to change anytime soon.

• Like 1

Could you imagine putting up a sign in the UK foreigners pay double, you would have a protest of racism on the streets, But the same people who would protest, would never do it in Thailand, i guess people would say that we have come to expect the racism in Thailand as the norm, but the same could be said for the UK or USA, but we dont except it there why the difference

but.. i must admit that my country..australia...and most western countries also have dual pricing systems..

when back in australia..i ride for free in the public transport system because i am over 60.. students and the unemployed also get reduced rates.

i.e. those who have pay extra. Same with our taxatuon system.the more you earn the more you pay..no really anything to do with racism imo.

sorry..just pointing out a fact.

F@@@###ing Racism here. I am absolutely sick of it. Applies in every corner of this land. I refuse to pay the additional and if they insist I walk away.

Me too, If they wont accept my Thai driving license then I tel the to **** Off.

Please everyone if you get charged more than a Thai to enter somewhere then walk away, if enough people do it then they will have no choice but to stop it.

That's not necessarily the right response either -- I'm from Delaware in the US, and in-state residents pay less than out-of-state visitors to enter state parks and other state government-run facilities, perhaps by 50 percent. The rationale is, Delaware residents pay state taxes that help upkeep the parks, whereas out-of-staters don't. That seems fair to me, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that that's at least part of the rationale at play here. However, having to pay ten times the local rate is certainly excessive, and producing a national ID card should end any argument.

Foreigners have to pay 200 baht (last I checked) to visit the Grand Palace in Bangkok and other major sites, whereas Thais get in for free -- is that fair?

Perfectly fair!

• Like 2

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

You think it is ok to rip off tourists? I would love you to come to my country and be told you have to pay 10 times the price of a local. The only reason this story has been reported is because it happened to a Thai. A reality check is called for

• Like 1

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Dual pricing happens in many countries. In the UK adults pay more than OAP's and kids to enter many places. And sometimes locals get discounts.

BULLSHIT. Why stick up for the blatant rip offs in this country, you are always doing it >>>> Are you Thai?coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I have no problem with Thais paying far less to get into public attractions. Tourists should pay more, considering our average income is 10 times the average Thai. Thais should not pay anything to enter Wats, etc that are sacred to Buddhists, whereas tourists who are just there to gawk and snap selfies should pay. It is not racism, it is just logical.

It happens all over the world. Local residents of Southern California can get drastically reduced season passes to Disneyland not offered even to Northern Californians. Students from out of state or other countries pay much higher tuition at US universities, because local residents pay taxes to support the institutions, and they are there for the greater good of the US. Thais who have higher incomes pay taxes to fund national parks etc and Buddhists support their local and regional temples, wats, etc with donations of whatever they can afford, so they should not be expected to pay additionally to worship.

I am so sick of Thai Visa old farts complaining about such inequities, those who complain the most deserve to pay the most, to pay for your bad karma (no I don't believe in karma spiritually, but sociologically it works). We relatively rich bastards should be happy to spend more than Thais to live in the country.

Get over it!!!

Foreigners who live here and pay taxes are not tourists. And if we are going on average income, well then why don't they make different prices for Isaan residents, Bangkokians, or based on income? There are also plenty of Thais whose average income is well above 10 times the average Thai.

When you live in Southern California long enough to meet the requirements, you get discounts at Disneyland just like the other locals. When you meet residency requirements in states, you no longer pay higher tuition. Unfortunately, the same does not hold true here. You can have lived here half your life, be fluent in Thai, and be a full tax payer, and yet you will still be overcharged. What would be interesting to see is if a farang who has a Thai ID card and is a Thai citizen (yes there are the rare few) whipped it out and what response they'd come up with.

• Like 1

Wake up mate. It is not only tourists who visit these places, many of us living here are on pensions. About 6 yrs ago i went to a national park near Mukdahan with 4 Thais, they were allowed in free, but i had to pay. I was not really interested, so i stayed in the car. They were back within 15 mins that's how interesting it was. rolleyes.gif

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

If you have to ask about dual pricing then you probably qualify for a re-education camp somewhere (Obviously not in Thailand). Do you consider that a lot of the Thais that visit these national Parks etc are not better off financially. than farang Tourists (The filthy rich elite from Bangkok driving their luxury cars Vs The recently retired Farang Pensioner on a vacation..as an example. My point is that all Thais,.....rich or poor are charged the same price....therefore the dual pricing system is purely Racist and not about who can afford the prices.

• Like 2

You just don't get it do you,pricipal is at stake here.Yes i would visit if Thais paid the same.Luckily i have seen all of the good Nat Parks using the DL,but apparently that is not good enough now.Most Nat parks are pretty piss poor anyway.

• Like 1

<deleted> Racism here. I am absolutely sick of it. Applies in every corner of this land. I refuse to pay the additional and if they insist I walk away.

We don't do this in NZ and most other countries probably same, it's a shame, sometimes I have gotten away with it by my wife purchacing tickets while I stayd out of site them we all walked in together and they usually

say nothing , other than that I refuse to be ripped off and it is a shame on Thailand same as reward money for police is a shame.

• Like 2

i.e. those who have pay extra. Same with our taxatuon system.the more you earn the more you pay..no really anything to do with racism imo.

sorry..just pointing out a fact.

Wonder which state you live in, but in Queensland i had to pay for public transport, yes it was reduced because i am a O/A pensioner.

Well, he does look like a foreigner smile.png

Joking aside, the article didn't mention if he did show the ID card or not..

Just try to read the article again, slowly.

However, despite Mr Grittapohn, who has a Thai ID card, explaining to the attendant he was in fact Thai the attendant insisted on him paying the 200 Baht.

You read again,it says he has an ID card,not that he showed it.One would presume he did.

You think it is ok to rip off tourists? I would love you to come to my country and be told you have to pay 10 times the price of a local. The only reason this story has been reported is because it happened to a Thai. A reality check is called for

I think that in business people charge as much as they think their product or service is worth and that the consumer has the choice. Tourists get "ripped off" in every country.

If Thailand is pricing foreigners out of visiting these places they will soon know and will pay the consequences or change. My guess is that foreign tourists will still visit. 200 baht = $5. Is a tourist on holiday honestly going to quibble over such a small amount! Reality check back at you.

What is a local?

It's somebody who lives in a particular vicinity, NOT somebody who lives in a particular vicinity and matches the personal prejudices of some goon in a ticket booth.

My post referred to your comment about "locals", by which you meant UK locals - your post was clear on that, since the quote is from a passage about UK.

My "What is a local?" is not about Thais, but about 'locals' anywhere in the world.

As for the 'goon' bit - I'd use that description for anyone in a position of authority, however little that authority might be, who applies personal prejudices in the course of their work wherever in the world they might be.

So you're using a derogatory term to describe someone that appears to have been doing the job he's instructed and paid to do!

He has not applied prejudice. His job is to charge foreigners 200 baht and Thais 20 baht. Regardless of what you think of the pricing system you cannot accuse this attendant of being prejudiced when charging someone that looks western and can't prove otherwise.

Stop trying to introduce Thais into my post which didn't refer to Thais and had no connection with Thais.

(Edited - too many nested quotes)

coffee1.gif I am now in the US. I intend to 'educate' all the tourist places I can as to dual pricing. Next stop Vegas: I will not tip the Thai waiters there. Then on to Dizzy World where a ticket will cost minimum $60, so lets see, our Thai friends won't mind paying $300 I am sure. 5 5 5, . Let them eat cake.wai2.gifwai.gif The dual pricing will be publicized in major newspapers and other media.

How about a rational approach, and consider on what basis might there be any form of tiered pricing.

Some points to consider:

- modern world, modern values: no discrimination based on nationality; but ok to discriminate based on circumstance. For example, differentiate between "tourist" and "resident", or, as in some countries "OAPs" have various reductions, or free, for various things.

- tax paying residents subsidise nation subsidised bodies, like parks etc. So might be a case for non tax payers to pay more. On the other hand, tourist bring in foreign currency, which some economists would argue brings additional boost value to the nations economy, more than just the coin face value.

- there are mechanisms such as voluntary tiers (basic minimum, but encourage donations); engage third party business, such as shops, restaurants etc, and charge space rental for added income, ...many more!

Bottom line:

-Needs rational justified policy, consistent and enforced.

-"Circumstance" must be provable at the point of entry, eg non-Thai resident tax payer has to show their tax ID card.

-Balance the tier values; a factor of 10 is perhaps too much.

It's not rocket science.

Well, he does look like a foreigner smile.png

Joking aside, the article didn't mention if he did show the ID card or not..

Just try to read the article again, slowly.

However, despite Mr Grittapohn, who has a Thai ID card, explaining to the attendant he was in fact Thai the attendant insisted on him paying the 200 Baht.

No need to read it slowly - it says he HAS a Thai ID card - it doesn't say whether he showed it or not!