Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

I assure you that Elvira and I "get it".

It being the overuse and wrong use of racism and that it is often racists that perpetuate the problem.

Tourism = business = money. Businesses will charge as much as they can for whatever service they provide and often have dual pricing.

Those getting up tight about dual pricing are welcome to their opinions and choice not to pay, but linking it to racism is just wrong!

The OP's problem was that, pure and simple racism, that's how this thread started. Why does some people try to change the facts?

Interesting that the article makes no mention of racist claims by either the writer or Thai man.

Dear sweet someone, you didn't get the article, did you?

Please read again and maybe the coin will drop?

The underlying REASON for him to be 10 fold charged was that HE LOOKS like farrang, am Thai but that didn't matter, I might be wrong but if he had his ID card, he most certainly showed it to the 'gate keeper' and again, most probably the 'gate keeper' didn't believe him because he looks like a farrang so he can't be Thai and when he saw the white dude, he already had counted in that kickback of having a farrang visiting, nice value added corrupt money to put in his pocket.

Edited by KamalaRider

Double bullshit, since when does a poor farrang get any discount in Thailand, yeez, some people!

Poor Farang shouldn't be here in the first place. But my comment was sarcasm due to the ridiculous suggestion made by Thian.

What do you have against poor Thais visiting Paris? And please, don't continue the next sentence like above if you want us to catch your sarcasm, dude.

I wasn't aware I had anything against "poor Thais visiting Paris". In fact I'm championing for a discount, dude!

****Poor Farang shouldn't be here in the first place**** end quote

So you are telling poor Thais not to go to Paris and poor western people not to go anywhere in the world. What if they scraped up enough for a trip of a lifetime, anyone of them, nah, I'm so tired of people who don't use their brain. Sigh.

It being the overuse and wrong use of racism and that it is often racists that perpetuate the problem.

Tourism = business = money. Businesses will charge as much as they can for whatever service they provide and often have dual pricing.

Those getting up tight about dual pricing are welcome to their opinions and choice not to pay, but linking it to racism is just wrong!

The OP's problem was that, pure and simple racism, that's how this thread started. Why does some people try to change the facts?

Interesting that the article makes no mention of racist claims by either the writer or Thai man.

The underlying REASON for him to be 10 fold charged was that HE LOOKS like farrang, am Thai but that didn't matter, I might be wrong but if he had his ID card, he most certainly showed it to the 'gate keeper' and again, most probably the 'gate keeper' didn't believe him because he looks like a farrang so he can't be Thai and when he saw the white dude, he already had counted in that kickback of having a farrang visiting, nice value added corrupt money to put in his pocket.

Racism was inferred not explicit. There is a difference.

Duel pricing is discriminatory and seen to be a positive discrimination in Thai national parks. Positive discriminatory polices are common in every country. Whether this one is racial is the argument brought to this thread by the weight on Thaivisa posters such as yourself.

Personally I don't believe most thaivisa posters have enough to do nor the IQ capacity to fulfill the idea of something to do when they do hit on an idea.

• Like 1

Same goes for visiting Temples, during my 4 week stay l visited several Temples from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and each time entrance was free for Thai nationals but western visitors had to pay entrance fees, quite expensive sometimes, why?

This happened to me at the Playboy hotel in Bangkok in 2008, they had duel pricing I said charge me Thai price or I walk! They said no! so I walked and went else where, if everybody did the same they would soon get the message.

I've been part of the dual pricing scam for things like a museum near a national park. I sit outside and wait for everyone else to do their thing indoors. I've not experienced 10x price, but enough to feel bad enough to not give them anything at all. Had it with Tuk Tuks and other services too. A few weeks ago a journey I take once a week was 80 baht, and I gave 100 baht and said keep the change, the next week was 100 baht, so I paid and didn't tip (no difference to me). The week after that it was 150 baht, so I said no, I'll take a proper taxi which is a no fuss 200 baht with excellent drivers, more comfortable, aircon, real insurance etc. I can't get my head around the business model here. There are many other examples, but I'll stop there as I'll sound like even more of a whinging Pom.

Edited by Shiver

God help any Thai I ever meet lost in my country, I hand been scammed (trivial amounts usually) overcharged and other wise unfairly treated for being white so many times in all the years I can count that...... I would love some payback :)

Is a pity Thais don't generally travel Because I'd love to return the favour...

Well, he does look like a foreigner smile.png

Joking aside, the article didn't mention if he did show the ID card or not..

His ID card didn't look like a foreigner. And I assume he spoke fluent Thai without a farang accent.

Actually, I don't mind paying a little more, but 5X or 10X more? F--- that!

Edited by HerbalEd

Most punters here cannot respectfully pay their way in their country of origin.

I don't respect my home country, and I respect Thailand even less.

Bunch of corrupt & ignorant racists.

What exactly is there to respect?

There is a lot to respect in Thailand; I don't think it's possible to explain it to you any more than I could explain colours to a blind man.

Still haven't got an answer to my question - what has made you such a miserable human being? I used to think I was cynical; however, you are gold medal in the Olympics for negativity. Why are you still here?

I probably won't be here much longer, just need to walk out on my wife and children.

Anyways, good to see you can't think of anything here to respect.

Can I make a few suggestions .......

Thais selling their daughters either indirectly for Sin Sot or directly to brothels.

Thai police failing to pursue anyone with a few baht to hand out for any offence from killing police to murdering tourists.

Thai police running most of the people trafficking and drugs running.

Thai governments imprisoning anyone they like on trumped up LM charges.

Rice scam, school tablet scam, palm oil scan, rubber scam ...... don't matter what government, they are all busy with their snouts in the trough.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Children and senior citizens often get a reduced rate in the UK because they are fortunately subsidised by tax payers like me. There are no higher rates for non Brits and no-one is penalised because of race, colour or creed! There are very strict laws governing discrimination, which Thailand would do well to follow!

.... because they are fortunately subsidised by tax payers like me."

Do remember that most, if not all, senior citizens were paying tax before you ever came onto this earth - and are probably still paying it! They subsidised you when you were in your shorts pants!

Yes he was charged the Farang price because he (I think everyone would agree) looks like a Farang.

Saying he is Thai, even in Thai, when he looks faring isn't enough. He needs to show his ID to prove he is Thai.

You are assuming he showed his ID. If you read the article it doesn't say that. It says he has an ID card.

You are also assuming corruption on the part of the attendant without any basis.

So far this guy has been accused of being a racist and now a thief!

IMO the article is deliberately ambiguous about the ID card because admitting he didn't show it would justify the attendants actions and make this non story and even bigger non story. And people with poor reading skills will get sucked in to story.

From the article; "However, despite Mr Grittapohn, who has a Thai ID card, explaining to the attendant he was in fact Thai"

If he did show the ID card then, and only then, should the attendant be criticised.

<deleted> Racism here. I am absolutely sick of it. Applies in every corner of this land. I refuse to pay the additional and if they insist I walk away.

If you think like that, maybe you are better walking away from Thailand. Seven years and I have never found Thais racist. Nationalistic, yes. But I look at the country I came from, and find I agree far more with the Thai government's dealing with foreigners than Britain's.

I come from a very big European family and all of us like to travel. But when my familymembers want to come to Thailand i always warn them for the dual pricing and then mostly they won't come.

It's not about the 400 baht but the idea of being extorted. A waterfall is a natural thing, not even built by Thai, how do they dare to ask money for that?

Also when they hear about the safety and quality in Thailand they have to laugh a lot. They think i'm crazy to live here with my wife and not in Europe

One day i rescued a Thai man who was drawning, i did it for free ! Next time i first have to discuss the Thai price with him or his wife/kids.

The underlying REASON for him to be 10 fold charged was that HE LOOKS like farrang,

Just to point out, you can't look like a farang.

You either are white Caucasian, or you aren't.

Nationality is irrelevant.

Most punters here cannot respectfully pay their way in their country of origin.

I don't respect my home country, and I respect Thailand even less.

Bunch of corrupt & ignorant racists.

What exactly is there to respect?

There is a lot to respect in Thailand; I don't think it's possible to explain it to you any more than I could explain colours to a blind man.

Still haven't got an answer to my question - what has made you such a miserable human being? I used to think I was cynical; however, you are gold medal in the Olympics for negativity. Why are you still here?

I probably won't be here much longer, just need to walk out on my wife and children.

Anyways, good to see you can't think of anything here to respect.

Can I make a few suggestions .......

Thais selling their daughters either indirectly for Sin Sot or directly to brothels.

Thai police failing to pursue anyone with a few baht to hand out for any offence from killing police to murdering tourists.

Thai police running most of the people trafficking and drugs running.

Thai governments imprisoning anyone they like on trumped up LM charges.

Rice scam, school tablet scam, palm oil scan, rubber scam ...... don't matter what government, they are all busy with their snouts in the trough.

Phenomenal.

Perhaps there is an element of LCD in your choices?

There is an honesty which is abhorrent as it is rare in your post. The bitter pill you share with many others here does not make anything right. I am genuinely sorry for you and most others like you who find their situation guided by either a narcissism or a material desire in the unknown not available elsewhere.

Beggars the blame culture for many TV expats.

Life is meant to be happy you know! Sorry for you and those afflicted by you that you can talk so cheaply. Your kids!!! meh..

All the people who said dont pay the inflated price, walk away, they will bring the price down when they learn. I have to ask how long you have been coming/living in Thailand if you think you will make any difference they would sooner go broke than loose face and put the price down. I was in Hua Hin about 9 years ago, the guest house I stayed in was 16000 a month in Jan and Feb,coming to March I say lower season in March is that right, she say yes, so I say price come down, oh no she say , go up to 18,000. I was taken aback and asked how lower season could be higher price, she answered by saying, I have no

customer only you, so price have to go up. I said I would leave if she put the price up, so she said leave then. That is the Thai mentality or lack of it.

• Like 2

And sometimes locals get discounts.

What is a local?

It's somebody who lives in a particular vicinity, NOT somebody who lives in a particular vicinity and matches the personal prejudices of some goon in a ticket booth.

In my home town in Belgium I get discounts because I am a local.

My wife - Thai - gets the same discounts.

Belgians from neighbouring towns do not get these discounts.

Rich foreigners pay the normal price - even overpaid Eurocrats or visiting Thai officials...

All the people who said dont pay the inflated price, walk away, they will bring the price down when they learn. I have to ask how long you have been coming/living in Thailand if you think you will make any difference they would sooner go broke than loose face and put the price down. I was in Hua Hin about 9 years ago, the guest house I stayed in was 16000 a month in Jan and Feb,coming to March I say lower season in March is that right, she say yes, so I say price come down, oh no she say , go up to 18,000. I was taken aback and asked how lower season could be higher price, she answered by saying, I have no

customer only you, so price have to go up. I said I would leave if she put the price up, so she said leave then. That is the Thai mentality or lack of it.

Perfect example of Thainess. Thanks for sharing.

<deleted> Racism here. I am absolutely sick of it. Applies in every corner of this land. I refuse to pay the additional and if they insist I walk away.

I see exactly where you're coming from and completely agree with the sentiment but...

it's not racism. The dual pricing is for foreigners be they Asian, European, African, American or anywhere else.

There is an element of racism in Thai culture, they're not very keen on black Africans by all accounts, but their dual pricing is not racist. It's nationalism that is the crux of the matter.

IMHO :-)