Establishing a Representative office via a Service Centre?

Would appreciate some feedback on setting up a Representative office via a service centre in Thailand. They offer serviced offices and will arrange work permit and local contract, but would like some feedback from the forum on this route vs registering a foreign company name for one or two foreign employees to be based in Thailand.....appreciate any feedback on the subject please.... Cheers

I have observed a couple of companies trying to establish representative offices in Thailand. Both efforts were legit, and involved competent legal firms. Both were unsuccessful. The Thai authorities want to see demonstrable economic benefits to the country before they will issue a license. In both the cases mentioned, they ended up establishing limited companies with nominal Thai majority ownership instead. It is my impression that, unless "special arrangements" are made, there are conditions for establishment of representative offices that render it inapplicable in most cases.

I can't help much but suggest you have a look at this from the BOI.

Thanks, I have looked at the .pdf and it is aligned to the data I got from the BOI website. Its quite clear from the BOI how to set up and register for the appropriate business however cannot see the implications of working via this third party route and cannot get any hard facts on the internet either. It looks a quick route to fix a work permit but not sure its the best route..........?

It would be a good way if you have the foreign company to sponsor it.

Work permits should not be problem and their are special provisions that reduce the number of Thai employees needed.

For a one year extension only one Thai employee is needed per foreign employee. See: 2.1 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay

Anything on BOI site is not a quick route to a work permit. But it can solve some obstacles. BOI requires an approved line of work, application, approval and investment before any benefits appear. But for the right businesses (not necessarily big or special) it helps a lot.

But as a previous poster mentioned, benefits to the country is essential.