Loosing Thai Citizenship if....

Hi all. i'm a newbie here. i'm naturalised Thai and looking to take on UK citizenship. Was wondering will I loose my naturalised Thai citizenship? and what would happen to my assets in Thai name in Bangkok if citizenship is revoke?

There isn't much luck finding answers on www. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

thanks! 

3 minutes ago, kotw said:

Hi all. i'm a newbie here. i'm naturalised Thai and looking to take on UK citizenship. Was wondering will I loose my naturalised Thai citizenship? and what would happen to my assets in Thai name in Bangkok if citizenship is revoke?

You would not lose your Thai nationality.

There is nothing in the Nationality Act that states dual nationalities are prohibited.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not lose your Thai nationality.

There is nothing in the Nationality Act that states dual nationalities are prohibited.

Ubon Joe, I never want to contradict what you say as your knowledge is far greater than mine, but my UK based friend's Brit/Thai son was forced to renounce his Thai citizenship when he was chosen for military service in the lottery and refused to join. They immediately cancelled his passport and eventually, as I understand it, forced him to chose his status one way or the other, he then renounced his Thai citizenship. I hasten to add that I didn't personally talk to the boy, it was all reported by his Father.  

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Ubon Joe, I never want to contradict what you say as your knowledge is far greater than mine, but my UK based friend's Brit/Thai son was forced to renounce his Thai citizenship when he was chosen for military service in the lottery and refused to join. They immediately cancelled his passport and eventually, as I understand it, forced him to chose his status one way or the other, he then renounced his Thai citizenship. I hasten to add that I didn't personally talk to the boy, it was all reported by his Father.  

Not exactly the same situation as applying for another nationality.

To revoke a person's Thai nationality it has to be done by the minister of the interior after a very long procedure is followed (it could take years). I am sure there is a lot more to the story than what was told to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Which raises the question how trustworthy his father is. 

It depends  on the country you want to get citizenship from. 

Example, the Netherlands requires a legalized document of the Thai embassy that you give up your Thai citizenship before you can get dutch citizenship. However, if you have a dutch parent or are married to a dutch citizen this is not needed and you are allowed to keep the Thai nationality also. 

Probably the UK has the same rule. Some countries ask you to promise to renounce your previous citizenship, but do not require prove you actually did. Best is to get the information at the source, the UK embassy or a ministry. 

3 minutes ago, Paul944 said:

It depends  on the country you want to get citizenship from. 

Example, the Netherlands requires a legalized document of the Thai embassy that you give up your Thai citizenship before you can get dutch citizenship. However, if you have a dutch parent or are married to a dutch citizen this is not needed and you are allowed to keep the Thai nationality also. 

Probably the UK has the same rule. Some countries ask you to promise to renounce your previous citizenship, but do not require prove you actually did. Best is to get the information at the source, the UK embassy or a ministry. 

UK is accepts on dual nationality so I know UK isn't a problem. But with Thai I find mix information online. 

53 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Thank you, Ohng, for the links you gave in post #28. They will come in hand in future when the subject of the possibility of a dual Thai national losing his Thai nationality comes up again.

A Thai citizen will loose Thai citizenship if voluntarily acquires another citizenship by naturalization (which is different an by birth or marriage).

Section 22. A person of Thai nationality who has been naturalised as an alien, or who has renounced Thai nationality, or whose Thai nationality has been revoked, shall lose Thai nationality.

i'm confused. I just looked at #28 and so there's a chance I could lose my Thai citizenship?