No changes to Phuket beach rules – for now, says Governor

webfact

No changes to Phuket beach rules – for now, says Governor
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1444038055_1-org.jpg
Phuket Governor Chamreon Tipayapongthada will not make any changes to the beach rules until he has reviewed all the rules and discussed them with top military officers on the island, he told The Phuket News today (Oct 5). Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- There will be no changes to the controversial rules governing umbrellas and sun loungers on Phuket’s beaches until Phuket Governor Chamreon Tipayapongthada has discussed the issue with top-ranking military officers on the island.

Gov Chamroen revealed his stance on the pressing beach-management rules while attending a blessing ceremony at Jui Tui Shrine in Phuket Town this morning (Oct 5), held ahead of the Phuket Vegetarian Festival, which gets underway next Tuesday (Oct 13).

“First, I have to look at all the beach rules that are in place, as I have not been in Phuket for 10 months, and I must know all of the rules before any decision can be made,” he told The Phuket News. Gov Chamroen arrived on the island to take up the post of Governor last Thursday (Oct 1).

Of note, Gov Chamreon said he was surprised at the “10 per cent rule”, which allows vendors renting our umbrellas and sun loungers to tourists to occupy not more than 10 per cent of the beach area. The rule was one of many introduced by previous Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong in January

Asked whether any changes could be expected before the coming tourism high season, which starts next month, Gov Chamroen replied, “If any changes are made before the high reason, the changes must be for the better. It is the only way.

“I will consult with officers from the Fourth Army Area, the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, Region 8 Police and with the Vice Governors, but any changes must be lawful and fair.

“If a business is located on private land, then it will stay. But if it is not, then it will have to go.”

Gov Chamroen also called on the people of Phuket to take a united stand to preserve the island’s natural resources.

“Everyone needs to work together to preserve Phuket, I can’t do it all by myself,” he said. “We can all help, and do it fairly.

“I will not be silent about any wrongdoing by officials, and I will report any matters that are beyond my responsibility directly to the NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) myself.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-changes-to-phuket-beach-rules-for-now-says-governor-54402.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-05

“If a business is located on private land, then it will stay. But if it is not, then it will have to go.”

Gov Chamroen also called on the people of Phuket to take a united stand to preserve the island’s natural resources.

“Everyone needs to work together to preserve Phuket, I can’t do it all by myself,” he said. “We can all help, and do it fairly.

“I will not be silent about any wrongdoing by officials, and I will report any matters that are beyond my responsibility directly to the NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) myself.”

This sounds encouraging. But I'll have to wait as see as will he I suppose… Good luck Governor!

Yes of course the military have to have the finally say. The governor is not there for the people he there for the military.

Ah yes, things were so much better before the coup, NOT! Beach loungers down to the low tide mark, locals that acted like they owned the beach and wanted to charge you to go. A bunch of greedy thugs! To me things have dramatically improved! The governor has always been appointed here in Phuket, never elected, so Bangkok always had the final say on what went on here. It's their cash cow, that's not producing nearly as much milk money these days.

“I will consult with officers from the Fourth Army Area, the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, Region 8 Police and with the Vice Governors, but any changes must be lawful and fair.

Didn't know the military now rules the beaches also.

Yes the navy has for quite some time now. Much better than the local greedy people who acted like they owned the King's beach before.

This sounds encouraging. But I'll have to wait as see as will he I suppose… Good luck Governor!

Talking Baugwan (sweet mouth) to us. A very encouraging statement, now back it up. The Thai vendors push the envelope on a daily basis, what is needed is enforcement. They've got these cops on bikes riding around now, crime isn't the problem, vendor encroachment is.

Yes the navy has for quite some time now. Much better than the local greedy people who acted like they owned the King's beach before.

You mean the jetskis have gone ???