Thai bank card that can be used internationally without OTP

I am with Bangkok Bank and fairly happy with their iBanking service, phone app and chipped ATM card. However, where they really drop the ball in my opinion as an international bank is their OTP (one time password) procedure which sends a passcode to your phone, simple and effective procedure if you are in Thailand and use a mobile phone. The problem is if you are abroad its likely your Thai sim card doesn't work and you therefore cannot use the card for online purchases and transfers etc which means you can get caught out and unable to use your card online if outside the country.

Can anyone recommend a bank here that issues a card that does not require a OTP and can be used internationally without such issues?

Thanks

Is it likely you will be somewhere where it does not work? My Thai sim appears to work in the countries I have been to where I may have needed to use it. However as MadMac says this would not apply to online purchases. The bigger question may be whether the site accepted the card at all and there was a reasonably recent thread on here about this.

Edit - not the thread I meant but more recent - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/859988-why-bank-offers-debit-card-which-can-be-used-to-purchase-online/

Edited by topt

Just activate auto roaming for your thai sim card when you are overseas to receive the OTP.

I have the same problem with Krungsri Bank particularly when trying to pay for air tickets or hotels when abroad. My phone has global roaming and sms messages from other parties including AIS get through but not from the Bank. I have been told by an overseas Telco who investigated that the OTP messages are for domestic only and not forwarded overseas. I have raised the matter with Krungsri who are investigating.

Just activate auto roaming for your thai sim card when you are overseas to receive the OTP.

I have the same problem with Krungsri Bank particularly when trying to pay for air tickets or hotels when abroad. My phone has global roaming and sms messages from other parties including AIS get through but not from the Bank. I have been told by an overseas Telco who investigated that the OTP messages are for domestic only and not forwarded overseas. I have raised the matter with Krungsri who are investigating.

With Kasikorn OTP it works outside of Thailand. I use this OTP many times to manage my online banking.

One important thing with OTP is... never let someone know your mobilenumber which you use for OTP (easy to spoofe the number and then someone else receive the message)

I don't buy the excuse given by Krungsri Bank. The bank will not know whether you are in Thailand or overseas when you make purchases online. The only problem I see is that the Krungsri Bank CC is not accepted outside Thailand.

I don't buy the excuse given by Krungsri Bank. The bank will not know whether you are in Thailand or overseas when you make purchases online. The only problem I see is that the Krungsri Bank CC is not accepted outside Thailand.

I think you misunderstand, it is not a credit card problem the problem is getting the OTP transmitted overseas. On a recent occasion I was making an online payment within Thailand from an overseas location and the problem is that the OTP is simply not received overseas although other SMS messages are received.

I use krungsri online when abroad and mostly I've got no issues receiving OTP passwords. Try manually choosing different roaming operator, for example when using DTAC sim card in Singapore I was having trouble receiving OTPs when roaming with STARHUB but not with M1.

Not receiving the OTP abroad is a telco issue and NOT a bank issue. The bank sends you a STANDARD SMS with the OTP inside.

I receive the SMS from both Bangkok bank and SCB when abroad, just needed DTAC to activate international roaming on my phone.

Edited by Swiss1960

I spend a whole 20 baht to allow International roaming with my DTAC pre paid plan and never have a problem getting an OTOP or deposit notice SMS from Bangkok Bank in the US since they are free to receive overseas

I am sure that AIS has the same free system, but not sure about True

But the OP had better be sure that Bangkok Bank has the correct cell number for his account, some individuals forget that your cell phone number is tied to your bank account at all Thai banks, so don't let your number expire

Stan Chart credit cards don't use OTP once you've set up a password that is entered any time you make an online CC purchase.

Similarly for online payments via internet banking to beneficiaries that are already set up no OTP is needed. However to set up a new beneficiary it will generate an ETAC/OTP sent to your phone.

So set these 2 up while in Thailand and you can travel wherever you want without the need for an OTP sent to your phone.

For my TMB online banking and CCs it always generates an OTP sent to my phone. However, I find that most places I visit receiving an SMS is free. I can't actually make phone calls with this SIM card while overseas, as it's a local prepaid SIM card. However, I can receive SMS.

Cheers

Fletch :)