Why bank offers debit card which can be used to purchase online

I've used my Kasikorn debit card in various places like the UK and US over the internet.

It's just the ATM card that comes with a regular savings account, you need to specifically enable internet transactions with it or it won't work.

I believe airlines might have different rules and I've heard some people having issues with this type of card and some airlines in the past.

I've never used mine to book a flight, I use my 'real' bank cards for that kind of thing.

I have a classic debit card from KBank (classic means one that has my name actually embossed on it, and not one of their numerous "privilege" customer type cards that are stock issue at any branch) and a Rabbit BTS debit card from BBL.

I have used both for online purchases from a Thai based merchant (in THB), online purchases from non-Thai merchants (in foreign currencies) and used my KBank card physically overseas.

I did have to compete the one-time "verified by visa" process - but that's a one time shot and free..

Naturally, there can be foreign currency fees when the transaction is not done in THB's, but the transaction still was approved.

I would advise strongly against anyone using a debit card on line. The problem would be if the card number somehow got in to the hands of a scammer/thief through hacking or any other such means. Once the thief has this card details, he/she can clear out your bank account in seconds and there is no recourse through the bank so you would lose everything that you had, unlike a credit card where it's not your own money that the thief would be taking. My advise would be if you can't get a credit card, get a virtual credit card from you bank with a preset maximum spend.