Pain & the Relief of Pain

fang37

When we are ill or injured, we will feel physical pain.

It is sending a message?

Then, we rush off to the hospital or pharmacy for painkillers.

In doing so, we may feel better but we are cutting off messages which may be important eg the illness is over; it is getting more serious.

Comment?

Yes, pain signifies that there is a problem, but often people will just take an analgesic & not address the cause. Then the condition becomes very serious as it has not been investigated.

In TCM, pain is a symptom of blocked energy.

I remember a patient from many years ago, who didn't have Pain Receptors, & when her skin was pinched quite hard, didn't even flinch.

It was of great 'interest' to the Neurologists, who found it "quite fascinating"

Please note my use of quote marks...

faraday - great post!

I have utilised oriental medicine - never fast enough 555

"Modern medicine" is all into patchwork. Make me feel better QUICKLY!

In LOS, there is far more $$$ in prescribing medicine.

Further, patients assess a medico's ability by the medication he prescribes.

It may be time to return to the older ways - that may be real progress.

Yes, with modern medicine, which is driven in many cases by Pharma, & their primary aim is profit. But naturally, we want relief from our symptoms now - especially when we have pain. 30 years ago, so much of TCM, Reflexology, Meditation & etc, was sniggered at, especially by Clinicians.

But so many of these non - western treatments are effective, but they take longer to be effective.

40 years ago, there was a Pathologist who lived near my home, & every morning he'd go running. People thought the man was a nutter..

Just to go back to pharmaceutical industry,have you ever considered that they might want opposing, or non mainstream treatments to be suppressed..?

After all, a cheaper treatment would affect their profits - which as we know, are immense.

The pharmaceutical firms cannot afford to have well, contented happy people. Profits would go down.

They advertise fiercely - beautiful people are paid to market their products.

Acne, skin whitener products are in heavy demand in LOS.

Job well done Pharmas.

This topic is a good one right now for me... for several weeks now I have been suffering from Sciatica... extremely painful...w00t.gif I have been through 10 Physiotherapy sessions at Nathon hospital helped a little, pain killers (too many!) and have had little or no effect...

On Sunday, a BKK Thai doctor visiting his wife, Gai pharmacy Soi 4 Maenam on Samui, gave me 3.5 hours of reflexology and massage, coupled with herbal sauna three times for 15 minutes each time! .... and for the first time in weeks I have been able to walk without excruciating pain!

Today, I have some pain, but it has subsided by 80 to 90 % ... So I have to agree, some of the "old methods" do help...thumbsup.gif

By the way the doctor did this for free.... I offered to pay but he said no thank you....!.... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

This was the "home made" sauna unit... a converted rice cooker filled with a number of roots and leaves and a plastic tent... but it seems to have worked! wink.png

_MG_5972-5.jpg

YOU are indeed a lucky man.

Quality service & FREE!

This is a rare occurrence in this modern, selfish world.

Maybe an appreciation letter is in order.

I dropped down to the pharmacy after posting this and showed her... she was very happy thumbsup.gif (he was not there) .... but she's got a good following many of us "farangs" because she knows here stuff and does not over charge and her English is pretty good too....!

I have aways found if you are good to Thai's they are usually good back..... I get lots of free stuff.... two lettuce from the hydroponic farm on my way home! cos I just dropped in to say "hi".

I used to suffer from various pains, especially neck pain from a whiplash injury suffered on the 405 in LA. I took a lot of medicine and even was prescribed pure morphine. The solution for me was physical therapy and then a program of daily exercise doing cardio and weight training on alternate days. I worked with a fitness trainer for the first two years. Now I am mostly pain free so long as I hit the gym 5-6 times a week. If I slack off for more then three days, the pain comes back.

I wonder how much help pain pills are at getting to a specific area ,

I would think a gel with pain killer in it would work better when it is put directly on the painful area,

are there things like this ?

40 years ago there was a big thing here in the USA to use DSMO industrial solvent which went through your skin to deliver drugs.

I am not sure if anything was made that is safer than an industrial solvent !

It is 4am. Usually, I get up at 3am. By this time, the pain is just to much.

I have already prayed to a God (I do not understand) to take me OUT.

What is the purpose/benefit of living when racked with such a situation?

I would average 3 hours sleep per day.

I seek no sympathy - useless. I little empathy from my loved one would be welcome.

Today, same same. Hey world I want to get off.

Fang, I feel for you, truly.

Are there 'Pain Clinics' here? There are alot of meds available that can alleviate your 'suffering' without making you into a Zombie.

I have no experience with marijuana & do not advocate its use; but it is used by many people in small doses to address pain relief.

When I had cancer, I was on copious amounts of morphine. Detested the stuff - hallucinations & chronic constipation.

Broken leg - on painkillers. Effect - zero. Meds prescribed by hospital.

there's got to be very good acupuncture out there we are in Asia after all

Same as above, but thanks anyway.

Even had oil dripping on my body by some Indian dude, residing in CNX.

Personal opinion - he was a scam artist but I may be wrong.

Have you tried 'Tramadol'

Available over the counter (with pharmacist present) for about 40bht a strip of 10.

Works very well for pain from healing broken bones.

Only one side effect, you won't be having sex while you're on them.

Yes, nothing worse than excruciating pain, and no comfortable position to lie or walk.... sitting down has not been too bad....

I used both a hot water bottle and colds packs in the beginning, which helped a little...

But I can say that today my pain is down by 90 -95 % since the go with the doc on Sunday! as posted above... ^ I was darn lucky to get this doctor, but can imagine, not easy to find for most people...sad.png

I did see my regular doctor at the Gov Hospital today and he was pleased with the change... thumbsup.gif

A Doc friend in UK suggested looking into getting SOLPADOINE ... which is a combo of Codeine and Paracetamol .... it is available here under prescription, but read reports on Google before trying or using!

MG

Over time, I have tried all esp for cancer.

My latest - broken leg - is winning @ present.

On a "walker", my movements are limited & painful,

Some days (most days). the pain is too much too even move.

Night - 3 hrs sleep.

Get up - whole body aches.

Poor me!

We go to doctors and hospital for diagnosis and treatment which will often include painkillers. Even at the pharmacy I see people discussing their problems and I do myself.

Used properly they are an accepted and valid treatment option imo, and there are some chronic conditions where they are essential.

My comment, more a question, do any of them actually work?

Take paracetamol, for instance, does it do anything for anyone?

Tramadol is ok but even then I think the gain is more from its sedative effect.

We go to doctors and hospital for diagnosis and treatment which will often include painkillers. Even at the pharmacy I see people discussing their problems and I do myself.

Used properly they are an accepted and valid treatment option imo, and there are some chronic conditions where they are essential.

My comment, more a question, do any of them actually work?

Take paracetamol, for instance, does it do anything for anyone?

Tramadol is ok but even then I think the gain is more from its sedative effect.

Paracetomol does nothing for me, I don't notice a thing. But Paracetamol and Iprobrufen, now those two are a good combo. I had a killer migraine the other week, went to the pharmacist and she recommended those two and they really worked