SWIFT code for Thai banks

Hello guys,

I'd like to transfer a small amount of money (150 EUR) to Kasikornbank. I've only transferred money to Thailand once before about a year ago and used Western Union, but Transfer Wise is much cheaper for my purpose.

So I'd like to transfer with TransferWise to a Thai bank account and of course I have to specifiy the account number (which I have :) ) and the SWIFT code.

So I got a document of the recipient which has only the name and the bank branch name สาขาพัทยาใต้ Kasikorn bank / ธนาคารกสิกรไทย.

I found that online: http://www.theswiftcodes.com/thailand/

It lists different SWIFT codes, also for different departments of the Kasikornbank, non of those are related to the specific branch mentioned.

So my question is, some of you guys might have done it before and can point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated :)

Please no comments about the fact that the receiving bank is in พัทยา

Banks have only one SWIFT code each.The branch is irrelevant. They normally ask for the Branch Name, and possibly even a street address, though I think that these serve only as a verification procedure, which technically speaking, they do not actually need. In Thailand, and probably most countries, part of the account number is a branch identifier.

I have often used Tranferwise to send money to a Kasikorn account with no problems. Local branches in Thailand do not have SWIFT codes so transferred money goes to the main branch in Bangkok first and then gets sent to the relevant account number of the payee.

Also keep in mind that Thai banks do not use IBAN numbers (just in case your bank asks for one). I had an issue with that once as a Canadian bank wasn't willing to wire transfer my pay without an IBAN number and I had to print out and send them a notice (from Bangkok Bank) about it (and how it wasn't actually needed anyways). Surprise surprise, they suddenly were able to do the transfers and there wasn't any problems after that.

To KerryD:

Would you be good enough to explain what an IBAN number is ? As a Canadian, I may have this roadblock placed in front of me ? I have done regular transfers from Canada for several years, but had to fight tooth and nail to get the last one done.

allane,

I can only speak about Europe - we use the IBAN as an "international banking account number" (IBAN) - well not so "international" haha, to transfer money easily.

Within the country, I only need to specify the IBAN for a money transfer - the SWIFT / bank details are part of the IBAN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_Account_Number

Wikipedia says: "it has been implemented by most European countries and many countries in the other parts of the world, especially in the Middle East and in the Caribbean."

I've used it to make payments within the EU before.

I find it quiet convenient and I always thought it would be established around the world, until I transferred money to Australia and they told me "what is IBAN" :)

Thanks for that; I had never heard of IBAN. Now, I just have to figure out how to tell a Canadian bank that it is not required, if they aren't smart enough to know that, or willing to consult a list to determine for themselves.

Changing the subject , very slightly..

But hopefully somebody can answer

I have a Bangkok bank account , and transfer money many times using swift . My UK bank charge me £20 for every transfer regardless of amount .. Fair enough , but after a period of time , normally about 4-6 weeks , I then get charged again by my UK bank , when I called them to ask why they say it's the Bangkok bank commission charge and they are just moving it on .. Is there a Thai bank that doesn't do this ? .. My wife (Thai ) also sends money using kasikorn I think , and doesn't seem to get charged ' twice ' is it only Bangkok bank that do this maybe , btw it's never the same amount but always between £15 -25 , I guess maybe due to transfer rates ?

And suggestions/ ideas ?

I have a Bangkok bank account , and transfer money many times using swift . My UK bank charge me £20 for every transfer regardless of amount .. Fair enough , but after a period of time , normally about 4-6 weeks , I then get charged again by my UK bank , when I called them to ask why they say it's the Bangkok bank commission charge and they are just moving it on .. Is there a Thai bank that doesn't do this ? .. My wife (Thai ) also sends money using kasikorn I think , and doesn't seem to get charged ' twice ' is it only Bangkok bank that do this maybe , btw it's never the same amount but always between £15 -25 , I guess maybe due to transfer rates ?

And suggestions/ ideas ?

Why don't you transfer GBP from your UK bank account into the Bangkok Bank London branch? That should be a free transfer for you. After that Bangkok Bank do the rest and it ends up in your Bangkok Bank Thailand account.

And suggestions/ ideas ?

Could be they are using an intermediate bank in thailand. Nationwide do this using HSBC I've PM You.

And suggestions/ ideas ?

Why don't you transfer GBP from your UK bank account into the Bangkok Bank London branch? That should be a free transfer for you. After that Bangkok Bank do the rest and it ends up in your Bangkok Bank Thailand account.

That is what I often do. Here is a link to the information. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

I have often used Tranferwise to send money to a Kasikorn account with no problems. Local branches in Thailand do not have SWIFT codes so transferred money goes to the main branch in Bangkok first and then gets sent to the relevant account number of the payee.

Yes this SWIFT-CODE activity is well known, I have made transfers yearly to Thailand for 15 years and the SWIFT-CODE procedure went firstly to the main branch in BKK and then on the next day to my account holders branch.

And suggestions/ ideas ?

That is what I often do. Here is a link to the information. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

that's great guys cheers ...

Now this is going to sound very daft .. As I'm currently in Thailand and use my UK accounts online , ' I don't actually have to be in the UK to perform this function do I ? ' .. I mean there's no way of knowing , as long as I use the ' within the UK ' option .

Correct ?

And suggestions/ ideas ?

Somewhere in your request to transfer the money is 3 options, a) the remitter (you) pays all the charges B) your bank's charges are paid by you and the beneficiary pays his bank charges c) the beneficiary pays all bank charges. Clearly you are selecting a) and the beneficiary's bank is passing their charges back to you. If you choose B) then you would not be charges the bangkok bank's charges.If you choose c) the transfer is free for you but the banks will deduct their charges from the amount remitted.

And suggestions/ ideas ?

these are the charges (fees) from the "correspondence bank" your bank uses for the transfer and which are always debited a couple of weeks later. sometimes these fees are higher than the basic SWIFT fees.

correspondence banks are used when the sending bank has no direct connection with the receiving bank.

And suggestions/ ideas ?

Now this is going to sound very daft .. As I'm currently in Thailand and use my UK accounts online , ' I don't actually have to be in the UK to perform this function do I ? ' .. I mean there's no way of knowing , as long as I use the ' within the UK ' option .

Correct ?

Just log in to your online UK account, decide which of the two types of transfer you want to make (charges vary), transfer some money to the UK branch of BKK Bank using your Thai BKK Bank account number as the reference number, BKK Bank will transfer the money to your Thai account as soon as they receive it (usually takes just 1 or 2 working days).

And suggestions/ ideas ?

Correct ?

Just log in to your online UK account, decide which of the two types of transfer you want to make (charges vary), transfer some money to the UK branch of BKK Bank using your Thai BKK Bank account number as the reference number, BKK Bank will transfer the money to your Thai account as soon as they receive it (usually takes just 1 or 2 working days).

cheers , God I wish I'd done this a year ago , would have saved a good few quid

Thanks very much

• 2 weeks later...

And suggestions/ ideas ?

. Ok , I've just been on my nationwide account to try this , using the download given from bkkbank UK

But my nationwide only offers CHAPS or swift . And it doesn't follow the same pattern .. I'm confused as to how to complete it .. Anybody use nationwide for this function ?

And suggestions/ ideas ?

. Ok , I've just been on my nationwide account to try this , using the download given from bkkbank UK

But my nationwide only offers CHAPS or swift . And it doesn't follow the same pattern .. I'm confused as to how to complete it .. Anybody use nationwide for this function ?

I don't know anything about how the Nationwide works but I would be very surprised if you can't transfer money from your UK bank account to another UK bank account - which is all that you are doing.

First instruction: When you go online DO NOT CHOOSE INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER. (this is a transfer from UK to UK, Bangkok Bank will do the international bit). Just follow the normal procedure for making a payment in the UK.

Enter the amount you wish to transfer (in GBP).

Enter the sort code 60 93 98 (Bangkok Bank UK branch).

Enter the account number 92001000 OR 92002000 (the first uses UK exchange rates + total charges of 15GBP, the second uses Thai exchange rates + charge of 20GBP + Thai bank charges up to 500THB) For smaller amounts the first can be better, for larger amounts the second may be best - you decide.

Enter the first name and surname of the receiving party - the name which appears on your Bangkok Bank passbook (YOUR NAME - NOT BANGKOK BANK).

Under Special Instructions (Payment Reference or Payment Description)

Enter the ten-digit account number of your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, followed by BKKBTHBK.

Hope this helps.

Archived