Chula graduate's heartfelt message to his dad makes netizens cry

webfact

Chula graduate's heartfelt message to his dad makes netizens cry
By Coconuts Bangkok

dad-fb.jpg
Photo: Klanarong Srisakul

BANGKOK: -- The heartfelt message from a recent graduate of Chulalongkorn University to his father, who is a garbage truck driver, tugged on the heartstrings of netizens today after his Facebook post became one of the feel-good, most-discussed stories of the day.

Klanarong Srisakul, who recently completed his engineering degree, wrote a message to thank his father for his hard work to support his tuition.

"My father does not have a fancy job. He is a garbage truck driver. When I was a kid, many times I felt ashamed of my father. Why didn't he get to wear a cool soldier or police uniform like other people's dad?"

"As we grew up together, we shared a dream. My dad only got a Prathom 4 education, so his dream is to see me study. He told me our family doesn't have any fortune, but he could give me education. I wanted to be a soldier, but I did not pass the exam. I found out later that my father secretly cried. Back then, I never succeeded just once."

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/10/06/chula-graduates-heartfelt-message-his-dad-makes-netizens-cry

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-10-06

A truly heart warming story but probably marred later when the graduate findhe/she cannot secure a well paying job due to his education obtained thru a

" no fail" policy plus, Asean competitors, ( S.Korea/Japan/China), will be

arriving soon and make apparent his lack of real engineering knowledge.

Latest reports suggest that up to 50 % of Thai University grads.,who don't

have an influential family/friend/sponsor,( and he doesn't ), end up

stocking shelves in mini marts !

Edited by fred Kubasa

A truly heart warming story but probably marred later when the graduate findhe/she cannot secure a well paying job due to his education obtained thru a

I'm sorry to do this to you but, you're misinformed.

S. Korea, Japan and China are not ASEAN countries.

If you want the list of ASEAN countries use Google.

The clue is in the name: Association of Southeast Asian Nations

are you kidding, after that post he will be hired pronto!

I am extremely proud of my niece, now 24, who was the first person in our Thai family and in my UK family too, who went to university and graduated.

A short note to fred Kubasa, yes she DID get a job straight out from university, and her Dad, my brother in law drives a minibus.

Good for you, Dtai, we are all so proud of you.

Correct me if I am wrong. But a garbage truck driver in this country and my country is a government job. It has many many benefits such as free private health are for all family members including grandparents, free tuition for school and half tuition for private schools through to university.

Yearly paid holidays that increase with service and an annual salary increase. Retirement benefits after 20 years of service (for the rest of their lives).similar to the government street cleaners, these jobs are highly sought after. Too get a government job, you must have a family member or very good friend already working there and even then, it is difficult to get. I do not have sympathy for any of the government workers, no matter the position as they are very well cared for. I save my sympathy for the workers on the fishing boats and in the factories and the maids and guards. They have nothing.

Correct me if I am wrong. But a garbage truck driver in this country and my country is a government job. It has many many benefits such as free private health are for all family members including grandparents, free tuition for school and half tuition for private schools through to university.

Yearly paid holidays that increase with service and an annual salary increase. Retirement benefits after 20 years of service (for the rest of their lives).similar to the government street cleaners, these jobs are highly sought after. Too get a government job, you must have a family member or very good friend already working there and even then, it is difficult to get. I do not have sympathy for any of the government workers, no matter the position as they are very well cared for. I save my sympathy for the workers on the fishing boats and in the factories and the maids and guards. They have nothing.

Do you come from one of those South Asian countries where a dozen people are hacked to death during the campaign to elect a new village night soil collector?

Thai companies may ignore this man and continue to hire relatives, and relatives of business associates, whose degrees were bought with daddy's generous donations. Foreign owned companies will appreciate someone who gained his degree through his own efforts, despite the social and financial disadvantages. Lot of credit to his father, who has obviously made financial sacrifices. They are right to be proud of each other.

This is in Asian filial piety and is a cornerstone of the culture

I salute the man for thanking his dad and his dad who worked hard to put his Son through university

Some of the comments on this topic sickens me that humanity is not alive in some hearts

With the right attitude and hard work one can always be successful in your own rights

It is just about possible to succeed in Thailand despite a disadvantaged background. The owner of the school our children attend is in his 80's now. He is an ex Foreign Minister in a long ago government, and his full title is Dr. Professor. Very well known in KK. He started life as the eigth son of a street vendor.

It is just about possible to succeed in Thailand despite a disadvantaged background. The owner of the school our children attend is in his 80's now. He is an ex Foreign Minister in a long ago government, and his full title is Dr. Professor. Very well known in KK. He started life as the eigth son of a street vendor.

Well said ...not everyone who is successful was born into a rich family or something envisioned by the bitter keyboard pillies

There are people who have worked hard and deserve every bit of their success

Utterly amazing how some posters can find negativity with this story. What you see in the pic and what you read is a dying Thai culture. That pic could have easily been taken 50 years ago with Kodakchrome film. coffee1.gif

Kudos to the old man and a wonderful son. This article reminded me why I came here.