Nicked 3000bt at Korat imm?

This is the norm. They get an allowance to visit you at your home for any new application. However their expenses only cover the trip there by the cheapest means, ie; bus. In order for them to travel by pickup, they need money for fuel and food. This is similar to the BIB having to buy their own weapons, guns and transport.

The government doesn't pay enough for expenses, so this is the only way they won't be out of pocket.

I admit it's wrong but what does the government expect.

It's a one off and off-sets expenses. If however, the office is very close to your home then I would be pissed off as well.

Remember, this is the office you have to go to every year for re-newal. Don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that. Good luck.

Not excusing their behaviour sometimes,but i have been saying this about BIB for decades,since a captain had a sob on my shoulder,comparing his wage against a hooker.

I always enjoy posts from people complaining about spending less than $100 to deal with an official and then claiming "without us they'll be bankrupt". I'm pretty certain that Thailand would survive the loss of the cheap Charlie without any issues at all.

We are here to help or advise......If you are one of the many rich SAS guys that like being ripped off then bugger off......rolleyes.gif

So whats the difference.facepalm.gif

British Embassy Bangkok. Letter for income cost is now 2565 baht plus 100 baht for postage. Total of 2565 baht. RECIPT = Corruption = Theft. Get a receipt and you still get $%#@$%.gigglem.gif

Cos that goes in the UK's coffers, not pay for a scrotes beer bill.

After the coffers,it goes to MP's expense accounts,same same,but not different.

• Like 1

Never give more money at anytime, tell them to call the police and come they will give you the money ? back very very quickly

I HAVE been here for about 9 years and have went over my time limit quite a few times just paid my fine and that was it. Although my government of United States of America will not take any doodoo from them and they know it

5555,your countries doodoo is all over the place,half the reason the world is f...ed.How do you prove he took your money,ok,cameras in Immi office maybe.They are fellow officers,good luck with that.And good luck with your next visa.

An interesting conundrum.

Let's suppose corruption was wiped out in Thailand.

Let's suppose the education system here actually worked in terms of rewarding merit.

Let's suppose the divide between abject poverty and obscene wealth was reduced so most Thais had a decent standard of living.

IMHO, we falangs might find Thailand no longer needed us. Or we could no longer afford to live here.

Be careful what you wish for.

At my age, I'm pretty sure I'll be long gone, cremated, and ceremoniously poured into the River Ping well before that Utopian dream is realized in this country.

khwaibah, you must have a very brown nose from hanging around the Immigration office all day, come out & get a breath of fresh air.

I did and it smelled like shyt.bah.gif Same complaints going back 20 years and the complaints are still going nothing has or well change .sick.gif As i have said Kap Choeng Immigration got tired of all the complaining and stopped issuing CR's because of the constant complaints of the farang, this has been a year now, Keep it up and you it can happen to you. There is NO law that says they have to issue a CR. Some local cop shops in Buriram are now charging 1000 baht.

As for the transport money. most of the house calls in Buriram and Surin do not pay extra and remember at Kap Choeng even the retirement extension is now put under a 30 day review and that cavity search is doozy.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

I too have never had a problem there and felt that this was one of the good offices. The woman that has run the place for at least a couple of years was there and so was the woman that usually sits at the far left counter, This was a younger man, never seen him before. I know I will never see my money but again I would like to give a headsup to a higher power if this guy is playing games. If I had known the number of the head office in Bangkok, I would have called them as I sat there. My wife of course is worried that he could make trouble with my getting an attention.

Thai women are terrifed of Thai menfolk, and justfiably so. Listen to your wife, and just let it go! You will not win! Let a word to the wise be sufficient, sir. wai.gif

Poppycock! The 'they'll blackball me if i don't comply' brigade are responsible for this in the first place! Eligible applicants should politely but firmly stand their ground until these wrongdoers back down & believe me they will.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

khwaibah, you must have a very brown nose from hanging around the Immigration office all day, come out & get a breath of fresh air.

I did and it smelled like shyt.bah.gif Same complaints going back 20 years and the complaints are still going nothing has or well change .sick.gif As i have said Kap Choeng Immigration got tired of all the complaining and stopped issuing CR's because of the constant complaints of the farang, this has been a year now, Keep it up and you it can happen to you. There is NO law that says they have to issue a CR. Some local cop shops in Buriram are now charging 1000 baht.

As for the transport money. most of the house calls in Buriram and Surin do not pay extra and remember at Kap Choeng even the retirement extension is now put under a 30 day review and that cavity search is doozy.

As i said yesterday khwaibah,i got a CR 3 weeks and 1 day ago,and used it Friday to get my 5 year license.They can look up my crack any day,everybody else has been there lately.

I always enjoy posts from people complaining about spending less than $100 to deal with an official and then claiming "without us they'll be bankrupt". I'm pretty certain that Thailand would survive the loss of the cheap Charlie without any issues at all.

Yes it's easy to see that people with more money than brains might think that.

But when you consider that the poorest legal expat spends at least 5x what his Thai counterpart does, the story falls apart, and reveals itself as pernicious elitist bullshit.

Good for you that you can so easily be extorted for $100, one less session at the soapy, boo-hoo...

But there are people who live on a pension (gasp!), who spend it monthly, to the benefit of their community, who cannot afford to indulge the mismanagement and outright robbery by IOs.

Just because $100 means nothing to you doesn't mean you're better than them. In my book, you're nothong more than a pig.

So save your 'Cheap Charlie' rhetoric for the bargirls from whom it originated, oinker.

• Like 2

But when you consider that the poorest legal expat spends at least 5x what his Thai counterpart does, the story falls apart, and reveals itself as pernicious elitist bullshit.

Good for you that you can so easily be extorted for $100, one less session at the soapy, boo-hoo...

But there are people who live on a pension (gasp!), who spend it monthly, to the benefit of their community, who cannot afford to indulge the mismanagement and outright robbery by IOs.

Just because $100 means nothing to you doesn't mean you're better than them. In my book, you're nothong more than a pig.

So save your 'Cheap Charlie' rhetoric for the bargirls from whom it originated, oinker.

Yawn. If you can't afford $100, you're not spending enough in your community to count for anything to them. But keep on believing that your hamster size bundle is making a difference... it's all you have to cling onto isn't it?

Never give more money at anytime, tell them to call the police and come they will give you the money ? back very very quickly

I HAVE been here for about 9 years and have went over my time limit quite a few times just paid my fine and that was it. Although my government of United States of America will not take any doodoo from them and they know it

"Although my government of United States of America will not take any doodoo from them and they know it"

Priceless! facepalm.gif

We are all so much in awe of your 'government of United States of America', and I'm sure none more so than Thai immigration officials..

But please carry on - statements like that only help to confirm America's status as the laughing stock of the world.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

I always enjoy posts from people who think corruption is okay. Thanks for being part of the problem and keeping the wheel of corruption going. Unbelievable,

And I always enjoy posts from Westerner Johnny-come-latelies who think that the habits of millennia in Asia should be changed to suit their ideas of fairness.

Good luck with that.

Yeah, me and my crazy, western ideas of theft being wrong... If all thought like you we would still be stuck in the middle-ages, because why should anyone make an effort to change bad things?

Thais have accepted corruption for a long time because they've haven't had a choice, but the winds of change are blowing and we are slowly but steadily going towards a less corrupt society where people are getting less afraid of reporting injustice. You and your corruption-loving friends can continue to be a part of the problem if you so wish, but people with higher morals who won't stand for it won't.

It's not theft. The OP was asked to pay an extra fee. He had a choice as to whether he paid that fee or not. You can call that extra fee whatever you like, tea money, bribe or backhander. You could also describe it as corruption or very possibly at a push, extortion, but it is not theft.

Many countries in Asia work this way, not just Thailand but the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and surely many more too. It's no big secret, we as educated Westerners all know the score before we choose to settle in these countries - and choose is the operative word here - if you are not happy to accept such a way of life then don't choose to live in such places. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

In the meantime be careful up there on your high horse - it's a long way to fall...

• Like 1

I have been dealing with the Korat Immigration office for years on my Non Imm O visa and have never had any problems at all.

The officers have always been very helpful and honest.

One of them even went way out of her way to help me on her day off.

I have never before heard anyone with anything but praise for the Korat office.

I can not help but suspect something is wrong with this post.

The officers help you on their day off? What exactly do they help you with on their days off? Do they help you shopping or help you at the ATM? Please fill us in on the helpful immigration officers that help you out on their days off. They would be better off helping people at immigration on their DAYS ON and doing their jobs rather than messing about with their pets on a day off!

I considered not responding o your very negative comment, but decided instead to show you how wrong you are.

I had gone into the Immigration office on a Thursday to file for my Non O extension, the deadline for my extension was the following Saturday.

Shortly after I left the office, the officer discovered that the copy of my departure form was not in the packet I had turned in.

She attempted to phone me several times on both Thursday afternoon and on Friday.

I did not realize the battery on my phone was dead until I charged it on Saturday morning.

While the phone was still on the charger on Saturday morning, I received a call from her ( on her day off) informing me that if she did not have the missing form that day my extension could not be filed on time.

She volunteered to drive into the Immigration office and wait for me to fax the missing form to her there so I would not need to ride my bike 30 km in the rain to get it to her, in the office, ( on her day off).

I did fax it to her and she stayed in the office long enough to file my extension application on Saturday ( her day off) so it would not be filed late on Monday.

I hope this will squelch your negativity

P.S. You do not sound like the kind of person I would ever like to meet.

My immigration officer is a much nicer person than you are..

So in the first instance you were guilty of neglectfully not submitting a copy of your TM6.

In the second instance the IO was guilty of neglect by not checking your documents before you left the office.

The error was yours in the first place though and under such circumstances I hope you showed your appreciation.

• Like 1

I have been dealing with the Korat Immigration office for years on my Non Imm O visa and have never had any problems at all.

The officers help you on their day off? What exactly do they help you with on their days off? Do they help you shopping or help you at the ATM? Please fill us in on the helpful immigration officers that help you out on their days off. They would be better off helping people at immigration on their DAYS ON and doing their jobs rather than messing about with their pets on a day off!

I considered not responding o your very negative comment, but decided instead to show you how wrong you are.

I had gone into the Immigration office on a Thursday to file for my Non O extension, the deadline for my extension was the following Saturday.

Shortly after I left the office, the officer discovered that the copy of my departure form was not in the packet I had turned in.

She attempted to phone me several times on both Thursday afternoon and on Friday.

I did not realize the battery on my phone was dead until I charged it on Saturday morning.

While the phone was still on the charger on Saturday morning, I received a call from her ( on her day off) informing me that if she did not have the missing form that day my extension could not be filed on time.

She volunteered to drive into the Immigration office and wait for me to fax the missing form to her there so I would not need to ride my bike 30 km in the rain to get it to her, in the office, ( on her day off).

I did fax it to her and she stayed in the office long enough to file my extension application on Saturday ( her day off) so it would not be filed late on Monday.

I hope this will squelch your negativity

P.S. You do not sound like the kind of person I would ever like to meet.

My immigration officer is a much nicer person than you are..

So in the first instance you were guilty of neglectfully not submitting a copy of your TM6.

In the second instance the IO was guilty of neglect by not checking your documents before you left the office.

The error was yours in the first place though and under such circumstances I hope you showed your appreciation.

You are correct.

The problem was caused by my error.

It was solved do to her diligence and willingness to work extra to help me.

I did make a special trip a week later to thank her again, that time face to face.

This is why I am willing to step up and defentd the Korat office here on TV.

In five years of dealing with the Korat office, I have nothing but praise for the officers that work there.

I know some other immigration offices are a nightmare to deal with..

but all offices should not be painted with the same brush.

I am lucky to live where I live and have good officers to deal with.

• Like 2

I always enjoy posts from people who think corruption is okay. Thanks for being part of the problem and keeping the wheel of corruption going. Unbelievable,

And I always enjoy posts from Westerner Johnny-come-latelies who think that the habits of millennia in Asia should be changed to suit their ideas of fairness.

Good luck with that.

Yeah, me and my crazy, western ideas of theft being wrong... If all thought like you we would still be stuck in the middle-ages, because why should anyone make an effort to change bad things?

Thais have accepted corruption for a long time because they've haven't had a choice, but the winds of change are blowing and we are slowly but steadily going towards a less corrupt society where people are getting less afraid of reporting injustice. You and your corruption-loving friends can continue to be a part of the problem if you so wish, but people with higher morals who won't stand for it won't.

It's not theft. The OP was asked to pay an extra fee. He had a choice as to whether he paid that fee or not. You can call that extra fee whatever you like, tea money, bribe or backhander. You could also describe it as corruption or very possibly at a push, extortion, but it is not theft.

Many countries in Asia work this way, not just Thailand but the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and surely many more too. It's no big secret, we as educated Westerners all know the score before we choose to settle in these countries - and choose is the operative word here - if you are not happy to accept such a way of life then don't choose to live in such places. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

In the meantime be careful up there on your high horse - it's a long way to fall...

I don't disagree with the content of your post, but if you really believe that is not theft then your values are skewed!

• Like 1

Gees- sorry for the confusion, I lived here 4 years on a marriage extensions, Had to leave and came back on an 90 day non-imm O visa. I was at the office for a one year marriage extension. On a more constructive note---- I do live quite a ways from the office, it takes me 2 hours to drive north to get my bank letter and then south to Immigration. I have been told by the bank that many people are returned because the Immigration will not except day before letters. While at Immigration I asked two officers about this (including the one in question) and was told "Only for retirement extensions are the same day bank letter required. Marriage extensions have seven days before."

Back on topic. Because of all the news about bombers getting into the country without visas, and hearing that more and more people are getting house visits now, made me think that this fee was possible true. It was after I had giving him the money and he wrote the receipt for 1900bt did I question him and asked for a receipt for the added 3000. That is when he said there would not be one. Then I asked him to sign a paper saying I gave him the money for the "investigation fee" and he refused. At this point he had my money and as I said earlier, I didn't want there to be a "special problem" with my extension.

Well, I just got refused in Udon Thani Immigration for having a letter from my bank addressed the day before, and for a Marriage Extension, so I wouldn't trust what they told you too much. My Bank to is quite a distance from the Immigration Office like yours and in the opposite direction. .

But what might be helpful to you in the future, and others, as this time I went to the same Branch Bank as mine but close to Immigration, with my Bank Book and Passport, and they were able to retype me an Official Letter for the sum required and for that day. Saving me a long trip back to my bank. Still cost me another $10 but what the Hell.

It has been my experience that Bank Supervisors have no idea what Immigration wants, nor do they care or understand what their own bank does. I was told (or my wife anyway) that this letter has to be the day before as they don't update until evening, but Immigration will accept this. That was the third time she has been wrong about this or lied. I had no problem at another bank getting it for that day. I just had to tell them this is what I want.

Gees- sorry for the confusion, I lived here 4 years on a marriage extensions, Had to leave and came back on an 90 day non-imm O visa. I was at the office for a one year marriage extension. On a more constructive note---- I do live quite a ways from the office, it takes me 2 hours to drive north to get my bank letter and then south to Immigration. I have been told by the bank that many people are returned because the Immigration will not except day before letters. While at Immigration I asked two officers about this (including the one in question) and was told "Only for retirement extensions are the same day bank letter required. Marriage extensions have seven days before."

Back on topic. Because of all the news about bombers getting into the country without visas, and hearing that more and more people are getting house visits now, made me think that this fee was possible true. It was after I had giving him the money and he wrote the receipt for 1900bt did I question him and asked for a receipt for the added 3000. That is when he said there would not be one. Then I asked him to sign a paper saying I gave him the money for the "investigation fee" and he refused. At this point he had my money and as I said earlier, I didn't want there to be a "special problem" with my extension.

I was also charged 2,900 Baht. The regular 1,900 for a new visa and also since I had a new passport, when I went in, they also charged me another 1,000 Baht to transfer my old visa to my new passport. Even though it would only be good for a couple more weeks at best and until me new one is ready.

Since you left the country and came back on a 90 day, perhaps this was your extra charge to? To move your one year extension on to your passport while waiting for your new one? I don't know.

But before you start a fire in that immigration office I would be 100% sure of your facts first. As far as I can tell I have never been cheated by Immigration ever.

BTW, for my New Canadian Passport it cost me about 7,100 Baht ($260 CAD). If you want to talk about Highway Robbery then this is a far better example of that.

• Like 1

I was also charged 2,900 Baht. The regular 1,900 for a new visa and also since I had a new passport, when I went in, they also charged me another 1,000 Baht to transfer my old visa to my new passport. Even though it would only be good for a couple more weeks at best and until me new one is ready.

Since you left the country and came back on a 90 day, perhaps this was your extra charge to? To move your one year extension on to your passport while waiting for your new one? I don't know.

But before you start a fire in that immigration office I would be 100% sure of your facts first. As far as I can tell I have never been cheated by Immigration ever.

BTW, for my New Canadian Passport it cost me about 7,100 Baht ($260 CAD). If you want to talk about Highway Robbery then this is a far better example of that.

I wasn't charged to transfer stuff to a new PP...

Thailand is the land of paperwork and rubber stamps. EVERYTHING regarding immigration and handing over cash is covered by paperwork, a receipt, no receipt means beer money..

Get you head out of the sand read my last post from two days ago.

What would that post be and on what thread?

I do not see any other posts of your's on this topic.

A simple matter of looking up the guys posts, a post in a similar vein regarding Korat.

Sounds like there is a rotten apple.

I wasn't charged to transfer stuff to a new PP...

Thailand is the land of paperwork and rubber stamps. EVERYTHING regarding immigration and handing over cash is covered by paperwork, a receipt, no receipt means beer money..

I wasnt charged for that in Jomtien either.

In fact in Jomtien the only common rip-off seems to be the residence certificate "fee", which also never qualifies for a receipt and so, by definition, cannot be a valid fee.

This was just an extension to my 90 day visa. My last year extension ran out while I was away. For those that don't understand, you can't get a exit permit and then return after your extension has run out on that return permit.

This was just an extension to my 90 day visa. My last year extension ran out while I was away. For those that don't understand, you can't get a exit permit and then return after your extension has run out on that return permit.

There are no "Exit" permits only Re-Entry permits.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. And the only apparent choice he had was to pay or not have his extension renewed: ie leave the country.

I dont see that it makes a scrap of difference whether it is theft or extortion: either way it is illegal, dishonest, shameful and immoral. As long as things like that are allowed to continue Thailand will always be classed as a third-world country full of intrinsically untrustworthy people.

Nutshell

• Like 1

Yawn. If you can't afford $100, you're not spending enough in your community to count for anything to them. But keep on believing that your hamster size bundle is making a difference... it's all you have to cling onto isn't it?

So where do you draw the line on corrupt blackmailing officials?

$200, $300, $500.

What point do you complain and say enough is enough and become one of the 'cheap charlies'.

The issue isn't about money, it's about morals and decency.

You're right it's about ensuring that people on lousy government salaries can live a decent life. If you want to pay the government direct... petition for them to triple salaries and watch your actual costs go up by a factor of ten.

It only becomes an issue to people when they haven't allowed for it in their financial planning. Mainly because they're so delusional they think whining about the way Asia works and acting like they've been cheated will change things. And it won't.

It could be $1,000... which is the rough amount over the cost of a visa you pay for a 1 year Chinese business visa for example. It shouldn't matter if you've planned for it and if you haven't... well more fool you.

• Like 1

There are no "Exit" permits only Re-Entry permits.

so the op.must have been away for MORE than 45days to leave his yearly extension run out, also did he miss a 90day report.maybe he's not telling us ALL.

korat immigration has a list of charges on a board at the back of the seating area.didnt you ask the officer to point out what the 1,100bht.extra was for.

i have done 6 extensions at korat and have never been overcharged 1BHT.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. And the only apparent choice he had was to pay or not have his extension renewed: ie leave the country.

I dont see that it makes a scrap of difference whether it is theft or extortion: either way it is illegal, dishonest, shameful and immoral. As long as things like that are allowed to continue Thailand will always be classed as a third-world country full of intrinsically untrustworthy people.

"the only apparent choice he had was to pay or not have his extension renewed"

He had four choices actually, either to pay the fee or not pay the fee, and in both cases the added choice of raising the matter with a higher official in the immigration dept

"As long as things like that are allowed to continue Thailand will always be classed as a third-world country full of intrinsically untrustworthy people."

The definition of a third world country has nothing to do with corruption or being full of intrinsically untrustworthy people A third world country is quite simply one not allied with either the US or communist bloc.

What a bigoted view you have... There is plenty of corruption in western societies too - they are just better at hiding it.

If that is your real opinion and belief then why did you choose to settle in Thailand in the first place? why do you choose to continue to stay? and why do you have such interest in Thai Visa?

Do you see yourself as some knight in shining armour on a white charger come to save the Kingdom from itself? Or are you just a troll?

Edited by Shadychris
  • Like 1

Good luck with that.

Not really surprising that someone naming themself as Shady would condone theft.

Theft

"the action or crime of stealing."

Whatever method he chose this IO has stolen 3,000 baht from the OP because no such "extra fee" exists.

I choose to live here and I'm happy to pay any legitimate fees that immigration charge for me to do that!