Nicked 3000bt at Korat imm?

I just got back from applying for non im O at the Korat office. I have had two before but since I had to go back the my home country before the end of my last and was not going to be able to return before the time to renew, I had to started from the beginning. Had all my paper work in order and when it came time to pay I was told that I had to pay a new "first time fee" of an extra 3000bt. When he wrote the receipt, he put 1900bt. I asked for a receipt for the extra 3000 but was told that there would not be one for that since it was a "investigation" fee and said he would not process my app without it. I said I would write a note saying I gave him the 3000 but he said he would not sign. I am sure this is not right but what could I do? I have the number from his uniform. Is there a number I can call to ask about this "fee" and report him, or is this just another case of Thainess.

I have been dealing with the Korat Immigration office for years on my Non Imm O visa and have never had any problems at all.

The officers have always been very helpful and honest.

One of them even went way out of her way to help me on her day off.

I have never before heard anyone with anything but praise for the Korat office.

I can not help but suspect something is wrong with this post.

Get you head out of the sand read my last post from two days ago.

I have been dealing with the Korat Immigration office for years on my Non Imm O visa and have never had any problems at all.

Get you head out of the sand read my last post from two days ago.

What would that post be and on what thread?

I do not see any other posts of your's on this topic.

Sounds like he needed some lunch/dinner monies :-) However, only hearing from one side, who knows, maybe the extra new fee came in last night, things are always changing, not just here in Thailand, but all over :-) Can you imagine what is going on in Europe with all the migrants flooding in over the borders by the thousands :-) What was okay yesterday, may not be the same today/tomorrow......

I too have never had a problem there and felt that this was one of the good offices. The woman that has run the place for at least a couple of years was there and so was the woman that usually sits at the far left counter, This was a younger man, never seen him before. I know I will never see my money but again I would like to give a headsup to a higher power if this guy is playing games. If I had known the number of the head office in Bangkok, I would have called them as I sat there. My wife of course is worried that he could make trouble with my getting an attention.

This is the norm. They get an allowance to visit you at your home for any new application. However their expenses only cover the trip there by the cheapest means, ie; bus. In order for them to travel by pickup, they need money for fuel and food. This is similar to the BIB having to buy their own weapons, guns and transport.

The government doesn't pay enough for expenses, so this is the only way they won't be out of pocket.

I admit it's wrong but what does the government expect.

It's a one off and off-sets expenses. If however, the office is very close to your home then I would be pissed off as well.

Remember, this is the office you have to go to every year for re-newal. Don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that. Good luck.

No its not the norm. And the applicant is not required to pay more than 1,900 baht for an extension application. IF this IO has taken 3,000 baht without issuing a receipt to pay for "expenses" it's theft.

The OP's post needs to be taken with not a pinch of salt but a bucketful.

He claims "I just got back from applying for non im O at the Korat office."

If that is true how reliable is the remainder of his post?

• Like 2

I had the same thing happen to me at Nan immigration. I was making my first Non-O marriage application. When we were about all wrapped up the IO informed my wife that I should have 3,000 baht ready in an envelope for when the IO's did the house check. I did as asked but I was way from happy about doing it. Plus the fact I had to go all the way back to their office 30 days later to get the stamp, so more money and time just spent just to get the stamp these visiting IO's should be able to do when they are happy that everything is good. This is Thailand's goose that lays the golden egg, they don't won't us here but know that without us they will be bankrupt. The problem is some of the IO's just get greedy and want more, now look at what happened at the Cambodian border and what some ones greed has caused.

• Like 1

This is the norm. They get an allowance to visit you at your home for any new application. However their expenses only cover the trip there by the cheapest means, ie; bus. In order for them to travel by pickup, they need money for fuel and food. This is similar to the BIB having to buy their own weapons, guns and transport.

The government doesn't pay enough for expenses, so this is the only way they won't be out of pocket.

I admit it's wrong but what does the government expect.

It's a one off and off-sets expenses. If however, the office is very close to your home then I would be pissed off as well.

Remember, this is the office you have to go to every year for re-newal. Don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that. Good luck.

No its not the norm. And the applicant is not required to pay more than 1,900 baht for an extension application. IF this IO has taken 3,000 baht without issuing a receipt to pay for "expenses" it's theft.

The OP's post needs to be taken with not a pinch of salt but a bucketful.

He claims "I just got back from applying for non im O at the Korat office."

If that is true how reliable is the remainder of his post?

Agreed which is why I said IF.

But I'm assuming he means an extension of stay which as we both know people often call a visa. The fact that he mentions 1,900 baht would point to an extension application too.

He also mentioned he had to start from scratch, putting doubt again in the idea it is an extension of stay he is talking about

I had the same thing happen to me at Nan immigration. I was making my first Non-O marriage application. When we were about all wrapped up the IO informed my wife that I should have 3,000 baht ready in an envelope for when the IO's did the house check. I did as asked but I was way from happy about doing it. Plus the fact I had to go all the way back to their office 30 days later to get the stamp, so more money and time just spent just to get the stamp these visiting IO's should be able to do when they are happy that everything is good. This is Thailand's goose that lays the golden egg, they don't won't us here but know that without us they will be bankrupt. The problem is some of the IO's just get greedy and want more, now look at what happened at the Cambodian border and what some ones greed has caused.

Don't feel so bad Eddy, I just submitted a TOURIST visa application for a Thai to visit the UK and it cost more than 5000 baht. At least the op will get to stay a year. (Do you think if she is refused it will bankrupt the UK economy?) Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

Gees- sorry for the confusion, I lived here 4 years on a marriage extensions, Had to leave and came back on an 90 day non-imm O visa. I was at the office for a one year marriage extension. On a more constructive note---- I do live quite a ways from the office, it takes me 2 hours to drive north to get my bank letter and then south to Immigration. I have been told by the bank that many people are returned because the Immigration will not except day before letters. While at Immigration I asked two officers about this (including the one in question) and was told "Only for retirement extensions are the same day bank letter required. Marriage extensions have seven days before."

Back on topic. Because of all the news about bombers getting into the country without visas, and hearing that more and more people are getting house visits now, made me think that this fee was possible true. It was after I had giving him the money and he wrote the receipt for 1900bt did I question him and asked for a receipt for the added 3000. That is when he said there would not be one. Then I asked him to sign a paper saying I gave him the money for the "investigation fee" and he refused. At this point he had my money and as I said earlier, I didn't want there to be a "special problem" with my extension.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no legislation, rule or law that includes a home visit as a condition of obtaining an extension.

Home visits are made at the discretion of the Immigration office and while I sympathise that the IO's expenses may not be fully covered, that's an issue they should take up with the Government, not the foreigner.

Hypothetically, even if such a charge was introduced as a 'one off', 3,000 baht is absurd.

I travel 5 hours return trip to Immigration. Fuel 600-700 baht.

Allowing for a spot of lunch for 2, 1,000 baht would easily cover the expenses.

Yes, so in the OP's situation you would have refused payment?

i will second that.

i thought if you had to re-apply for a non.imm.0 visa you could only do it in bangkok.

the op.said he just came back to thailand,sounds like he didnt get a re-entry stamp there for he only got a 30day exempt stamp.

if that is the case he was very lucky it only cost him 3,000bht.

a trip to bkk plus overnight stay that would cost a lot more than 1,100bht.

i thought if you had to re-apply for a non.imm.0 visa you could only do it in bangkok.

the op.said he just came back to thailand,sounds like he didnt get a re-entry stamp there for he only got a 30day exempt stamp.

See bunnydrop's post below, he states he went to immigration with a single entry non-o for a 1 year extension:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861029-nicked-3000bt-at-korat-imm/?p=9936124

Edited by chrisinth

See bunnydrop's post below, he states he went to immigration with a single entry non-o for a 1 year extension:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861029-nicked-3000bt-at-korat-imm/?p=9936124

he does state in his opening post that he left the country and when he came back his non-o should be called extension had run OUT.THEREFORE he had to apply for a non-o visa NOT AN EXTENSION.

a mate of mine done this and had to go to bangkok to get it as he didnt get a re-entry stamp before he left thailand and yes he was on a MARRIAGE EXT.

Lol, corruption boo hoo hoo... it's how Asia functions. If it functioned like the West - you wouldn't want to be here. So you take the rough with the smooth and smile. Knowing full well that a similar service from a "non corrupt" Western government without a single bribe would still cost 3-10x as much.