Can you renew a 5 year motorcycle license from an overseas embassy?

JakeSully

Lol. Only doable onshore... but you realise you've got up to something like a year after expiry?

We didn't know that. That might actually be helpful!

They really don't want to do the 30 questions again and it's now something like 60 questions.

Really anti- wasting time.. not that I blame them!

There is a 1 year grace period to renew after expiry. Some say 90 days. Not sure what the current status is. I renewed my 1 year to 5 years more than a year after it was expired as I was not in TH. But that was 2010.

Lol. Only doable onshore... but you realise you've got up to something like a year after expiry?

We didn't know that. That might actually be helpful!

They really don't want to do the 30 questions again and it's now something like 60 questions.

Really anti- wasting time.. not that I blame them!

By they you probably mean your wife and her kid? Considering how Thai people drive, it may actually be a good idea to have them go through all the 60 questions and more, I think it should be mandatory for everyone since they reworked the licensing a little.

I recently renewed my Thai license- it was a one-year that had been expired for about eight months- I was required to take an on-sight color-blindness test, and to provide a medical certificate and a proof-of-residency certificate. I wasn't required to take a written test or watch a video, and I received a five-year license- the fact my original license had expired was no issue at all.

Your experience may of course vary.