Proof of residence, if living in Thai goverment, Police apartment.

In the past, I had no need to provide proof of residence due to short term stays.

Now that I am retired, I will be staying for longer periods of time that may be more than one year. I will enter Thailand on a retirement visa.

I have read some forum posts about providing proof of residence such as tambien books, rental contracts etc. I will have neither of these documents.

When in Thailand, before and after I married a Thai, I have stayed in a government owned police apartment. The police officer is a member of my extended family.

What can I or will I have to do when asked for proof of residence?

Edited by radiochaser

I am on a retirement extension. In the past when I applied I used my wife's ID, our Marriage certificate, her house book and her in person as proof of residence on the day of the extension. She passed away in March. When I was at the court getting the court order that now gives me the right to "acquire", not own, the property which is in her name I popped into immigration which is next door to the courthouse, explained the situation and asked what I should bring as proof for my next extension which is due at the end of this month. The first suggestion was "yellow book" which I don't have, another story, the second was a copy of my 5 year drivers license which has my address on the back. It seems too easy but I'll see at the end of the month.

I use Nakhon Sawan immigration and the lady that I talked to is the one that actually processes the extensions so I should be okay. When my wife was alive, I needed her, her ID, her house book and our marriage certificate. Now that she has passed all that I need is my DL. I guess the requirements are at the discretion of the office and officer that processes your extension.

If you are referring to getting an extension of stay when your visa expires in Bangkok I always take some paid bill receipts, rental contract, and this year I had the apartment manager sign I statement that I wrote and printed saying that I lived here and they signed it. I was asked for nothing from immigration as far as proof of residence in Bangkok when I got my extension a few weeks ago. I believe it really depends on which Immigration office you will be using in Thailand, they all seem to have slightly different requirements. I have read where some have asked for house owners documentation but like I said, in Bangkok recently I was asked for no proof of residence.

• Like 1

Update with more information. This is for my residence in Bangkok.

For the past 3 years, I lived by my self in the police apartment, except when my wife stays for two or three weeks.

When I stay in Thailand, my wife is, usually, in the United States. She rarely stays as long as I stay in Thailand. She owns a business in the United States.

" I have stay(ed) in a government owned police apartment. The police officer is a member of my extended family. "

The police officer does not live in the apartment, he has a house that he lives in.

I have never asked, but my assumption, not based on factual evidence, is that there is no "house book". Is this what a "yellow book" is?

There is no "landlord, tenant agreement" between the extended family member, the police officer and myself. I am a family member, so he allows me to stay in his apartment. If there is a landlord. tenant agreement, then it would be between the police officer and the Royal Thai Police/Thai Government, not me.

I do not know if there is or is not an "apartment manager"

There is no rent.

There is no water bill.

There is an electrical bill, but, that goes to the the police officer at his house. He shows me the bill, I give him money to pay the bill.

I have no internet bills, a different police officer allows me to connect to his wireless router. No charge.

Since 1988, I have only been asked two times, why I was within the police apartment complex. Both times I told the police officer that asked, I lived there. The officers basically said, OK and went on about his business. So, my assumption, at least with those that were interested enough to ask, there was no problem with me, a foreigner, living in the police apartment.

On another thread, someone asked and was answered:

Posted 2015-10-13 18:38:48

chris1010, on 13 Oct 2015 - 06:27, said:snapback.png

hi can anyone tell me what I need to take to immgration to do my one year retirement extention at jontiem . do I need to take proof of where I live. if so what? thanks

Copies of rental agreement.

Landlords ID card.

Landlords Tabian Baan.

Utility Bill.

Address pinpointed on map.

Not much more they can ask for as proof of address, unless you have your own Tabian Baan.

But, my assumption is that chris1010, does not live in a police apartment owned by the government of Thailand!

I will provide more information if asked.

Not sure exactly what you can supply in your case.

Perhaps just a statement from the police officer that you are staying in his apartment with some kind of proof it is his to use with his police ID attached. He could also complete a TM30 to go with it.