Windscreen washer fluid

Felt 35

Not seen screenwash here, but not really looked.

Tap water plus Sunlight washing up liquid stolen from Wifey works well enough for me. Apparently it can damage the paintwork but I've never seen any damage over the years I've been using it.

I used to use this stuff when I could get it FOC http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z281506?lang=en&region=TH very, very effective but it did tend to take off any wax too. Not really recommended.

All the major stores (Big C, Lotus, etc) sell wiper-washer fluid. Look in the car care sections it's a bluish liquid that look like windex but is formulated for car wiper systems. Or can just use a few drops of dishwasher soap or dilute windex 10-1 with DISTILLED water.

facepalm.gif na...have been to both and cant find anything else than car shampoo and wax.

All the major stores (Big C, Lotus, etc) sell wiper-washer fluid. Look in the car care sections it's a bluish liquid that look like windex but is formulated for car wiper systems. Or can just use a few drops of dishwasher soap or dilute windex 10-1 with DISTILLED water.

facepalm.gif na...have been to both and cant find anything else than car shampoo and wax.

Looks like this:

post-167660-0-91621800-1444287282_thumb.

See the little graphic of the hand pouring it it into the engine. All car care sections have it...even Foodland (next to Windex).

As mentioned by a few posters, dishwashing liquid is the most effective glass cleaner, but not for cars - it will strip your wax/sealant layer - if you have one...

The problem with Windex style products is, they're already diluted, and again not formulated (contain ammonia) to be wax/sealant safe.

For cars, you should use stuff designed for car finishes, and designed for dilution.

As pointed out, BigC / Tesco Lotus will always have something cheap in stock - if you've spent time or money on your car's finish, buy something like the Pinnacle Glassworks Booster from a TWCC vendor - it's made by a company that made their name with carnauba waxes, so you can be sure it's wax safe.

Edited by IMHO

Makro in Phit'lok sells a concentrated formulation specifically for use in automobiles. They also have a lot of car "shampoos." You have to look hard to see the glass cleaner. It is blue and in a rectangular plastic bottle. Been using it for years, and it seems okay.

Ive been using that stuff for years from Tesco - 55 baht or so for a 500ml bottle. I put half in the reservoir and top up with water.

Not happy with it - tends to have periods when it leaves a slightly greasy deposit on the screen. Nowhere near as good as proper screenwash I used to buy in UK - I'm also looking for cheap alternatives if they don't damage the bodywork.

Ive been using that stuff for years from Tesco - 55 baht or so for a 500ml bottle. I put half in the reservoir and top up with water.

Not happy with it - tends to have periods when it leaves a slightly greasy deposit on the screen. Nowhere near as good as proper screenwash I used to buy in UK - I'm also looking for cheap alternatives if they don't damage the bodywork.

Yes it can be tough and expensive to get high quality car care products in Thailand. However, if this guy has an old beater or is not so much into car detailing and just wants something to fill the reservoir these thai products are ok, cheap, and don't contain ammonia. I don't use my reservoir solution to "clean" the windshield (that I do properly when I wash the car) but to only lubricate the windscreen and blades when I turn them on during a downpour. The rain water takes care of any solution that ends up on the body finish.

Mine gets filled up by Ford every 6 months or so. I guess we don't use the washer system much.

My washer reservoir has also only ever been filled at the dealers during the regular service. They use tap water, as would I if I was doing it myself.

Mine gets filled up by Ford every 6 months or so. I guess we don't use the washer system much.

My washer reservoir has also only ever been filled at the dealers during the regular service. They use tap water, as would I if I was doing it myself.

They also put a windscreen fluid of some type in it.

Makro in Phit'lok sells a concentrated formulation specifically for use in automobiles. They also have a lot of car "shampoos." You have to look hard to see the glass cleaner. It is blue and in a rectangular plastic bottle. Been using it for years, and it seems okay.

Auto glass cleaner I buy at Makro is Sped. You can see the product here: http://www.spedcarcare.com/webpage/miscellaneous.html

I can't read the label and don't recall what my wife told me it said about dilution, but I don't worry about it. In its concentrated form, it is quite viscous like dishwashing detergent. I just dump some into the washer reservoir in the car or truck them top up with water, at least 2:1, H2O:Sped. It works great. No steaks or apparent residue and even takes off bugs with the wipers (with enough persistence). Great stuff; I'm very satisfied.

Here is what it looks like (front and back):

post-240396-0-47426400-1444453901_thumb.post-240396-0-76263000-1444453898_thumb.

Edited by PattayaClub

They also put a windscreen fluid of some type in it.

I dont think mine did. I was watching quite carefully and they just filled the reservoir from a hose. It's possible that they put something else in later whilst I wasnt looking.

Looks like this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20151008_130738.jpg

See the little graphic of the hand pouring it it into the engine. All car care sections have it...even Foodland (next to Windex).

I've using the wrong mouthwash it seems!

Plain tap water works just fine, free and everywhere.

No it doesn't. It's filled with minerals, organic matter, sand, and dirt. All that shitz will eventually clog up the water pump and hose lines and spout heads and will severely reduce their efficiency or they will become blocked altogether. Then you can either leave it like that or face a repair bill. Also, that sand and mineral mixture you're spraying on your windshield and then rubbing in with your wipers will scratch your windshield and reduce the life of your wiper blades.

No it doesn't. It's filled with minerals, organic matter, sand, and dirt. All that shitz will eventually clog up the water pump and hose lines and spout heads and will severely reduce their efficiency or they will become blocked altogether. Then you can either leave it like that or face a repair bill. Also, that sand and mineral mixture you're spraying on your windshield and then rubbing in with your wipers will scratch your windshield and reduce the life of your wiper blades.

You think there is more dirt and sand in tap water than there is in rain water or in the air? Judging by the colour of my car after rain, I dont think so.

The jets may become clogged, but a poke with a needle will sort that out. I wonder how many centuries it would take for the pipes and pump to become clogged at the rate of one reservoir-full of water every few months?

You think there is more dirt and sand in tap water than there is in rain water or in the air? Judging by the colour of my car after rain, I dont think so.

The jets may become clogged, but a poke with a needle will sort that out. I wonder how many centuries it would take for the pipes and pump to become clogged at the rate of one reservoir-full of water every few months?

I never said to use rain water, I advised using [bottled] distilled water...the same stuff one puts in batteries. What if the obstruction is somewhere in the lines and not at the Jets? And do you have a home filter system...do you have any idea how filthy the Pattaya tap [sewer?] water is?

You miss my point. I dont worry about the dirty rain water damaging my windscreen, yet my wipers are used to remove rain water hundreds of times more than they are used in conjunction with the windscreen washers.

So why should I worry about how much dirt there is in the few litres of tap water that goes on my windscreen every year?

As for my home water supply, my drinking water is delivered from a filtering company in those big blue bottles. My tap water (used for showers, dish-washing, washing machine etc) is not filtered at all.