How much should you be charged for repairing a flat tyre on a scooter on Samui?

Out of interest, how much do you guys pay a repair shop to replace the inner tube when you get a flat tyre on an automatic scooter/motorbike?

I assume that, as usual, there is the Farang price and the correct price and that Chaweng is more expensive than Llama ... or may be not.

To start the ball rolling, I got charged 150 THB in Lamai. It was by the garage that is in the street that runs from the One Way Pub on the Ring Road down to the Beach Road, where the Outback Bar is.

I know of someone who was charged 200 THB in Chaweng.

As I see it, they've got you by the 'short and curlies' if you have a flat tyre, and so there is no room for negotiation; you can't take your custom elsewhere if you think their price is too high.

I would be more than happy to pay 200 baht anywhere in the Kingdom.

It's a supply and demand thing,as you say your not going to trudge 3 kms to the next shop for the sake of 50 baht are you.

I can only imagine how deflated your friend may of felt due to the inflated price.

Did that include the cost of the tube?

Yes it did.

My Farang landlord, who speaks fluent Thai and has a Thai wife, seemed to think that he would have paid 80-100 THB.

Edited by silver sea

I would be more than happy to pay 200 baht anywhere in the Kingdom.

It's a supply and demand thing,as you say your not going to trudge 3 kms to the next shop for the sake of 50 baht are you.

I can only imagine how deflated your friend may of felt due to the inflated price.

Yes that is my feeling too. The next garage may quote a higher price.

Chaweng seems to be more expensive generally than Lamai, which is why I am interested to know what other people pay, and where, on the island.

I rented a bike from a lady owner once…the exhaust pipe cracked…i suspected she knew this but can't prove a damn thing so i sucked it up….i was shitting myself at the repair shop but the guy welded it together really well and charged me a 100B. This thai guy was called John…his garage is on lamai ring road….between the petrol station at the Lamai night market and the wat at the turning.

Edited by JHolmesJr

I rented a bike from a lady owner oncethe exhaust pipe crackedi suspected she knew this but can't prove a damn thing so i sucked it up.i was shitting myself at the repair shop but the guy welded it together really well and charged me a 100B. This thai guy was called Johnhis garage is on lamai ring road.between the petrol station at the Lamai night market and the wat at the turning.

Yes I have used that garage too, and would be happy to use them again. It was too far away to reach with my flat tyre though.

About 50% of my 'fails' are the Valve stem ripping out of the tube.

Which is a tube quality problem.

True too. Had that in BKK, happens when you hit some of the well leveled water drains on the street. In CNX it's mostly nails, but does not break nearly as often as in BKK.

Remarkably inexpensive when our local Yamaha shop that we have bought two bikes from sent 2 men to remove the front wheel because I wouldn't allow it to be driven flat to the dealer as they intended.

Wife: we do this in Thailand Honey

Me: not with my bike so please tell them what I said and we will pay accordingly

Total: MAYBE 150 baht (I actually forget but was stunned)

Tipped the manager as always and left smiling.

Wow, Phuket is actually cheaper than somewhere else in Thailand smile.png 120 baht last time I got a flat there...

I pay 20 baht in northern Chiang Mai, just repair, no new inner tube.

Actually goes faster than changing the tube, approx 5 min

Wow, Phuket is actually cheaper than somewhere else in Thailand smile.png 120 baht last time I got a flat there...

Not really a good comparison then smile.png

Running on same inner tube for 7 years.

... not had one in a while now! wink.png

Isn't it strange that half of repair shops shut down after they put tarmac on the road. (Maenam exempt)

When I live on Koh Phangan, I used to have frequent punctures..... but (don't know if he's still there) the was a man one could call and drive out to fix the flat on the side of the road....thumbsup.gif

Best story was in Pai, I got a flat on a bicycle I had rented, on my first visit to Thailand, got a flat out of town and lucky for me there was a repair shop after a short walk.... The guy ran into Pai on his motorbike, to get a patch and repaired the puncture...

He charged me 5 baht....

Next day I dropped by the shop and dropped off some beer! ....It dawned on my later they were Muslim facepalm.gifrolleyes.gif

Not really a good comparison then smile.png
Running on same inner tube for 7 years.

It's probably just a collection of patches now then :)

I pay 120 in Lamai but they know my face as local. Never in a real hurry, anytime that day is fine so they usually get one of the young lads to deliver it back to me when it's ready. These days I pay 150 and they throw a bit of grease on the chain and adjust the brakes. Great service.

Edited by notmyself

Did that include the cost of the tube?

Yes it did.

My Farang landlord, who speaks fluent Thai and has a Thai wife, seemed to think that he would have paid 80-100 THB.

You get diddly squat for 80b-100b .. Perhaps they are talking about being ripped off for a patch which is about 50b. This country is full of idiots like this.

I go fishing with a somchai mechanic, so I sit in the shop watching and talking, it's 120b but not on Samui, 50b for a patch. 150b is fair - he would never dream of charging 200b - I dunno how he makes a living, stuff like air and chain adjustment he usually does for free, relying on return custom.