Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

The showing of a Thai drivers license for a discount was wonderful, but gone for some time now. Still, anyone is allowed to charge whatever price they want if it is their business. The customer has the option of paying or not. I have already posted before that Disneyland in Orange County, California, gives a discount for those the live in Orange County. On my last trip to Mexico (2002) I was paying $10 a shot for Tequila. I am sure that the Mexicans were not charged this price. I could have said no thanks if I wanted to. My choice.....

ok a small item , but i bought water by my condo at thai shop for 52 baht,out yesterday with a thia lady,"oh i need water" she pops into the shop, me behind her "40 baht please" then i popped my head out from behind my friend, "Hi, remember me," her face was a picture, lol !!

Went to the Pra Viharn National Park today and enjoyed fronting up to the office with my Thai ID card to pay only 40 baht. Would have been very pissed off to pay the foreigner price of 400 baht since all you can do is squint at Pra Viharn through binoculars, if it is not shrouded in cloud. Mrs Arkady is even more please about my new ability to avoid dual pricing than I am, as she no longer has to listen to my noisy protests at ticket offices and deal with my refusals to go and see waterfalls etc. I sometimes managed to pay the Thai price by showing a lifetime DL and at Mini Siam I brought my WP, having been told correctly that would result in Thai pricing. But more often than not ticket sellers stuck to their guns when I asked to pay the Thai price shown clearly in Thai numerals with nothing to suggest that it was a price for Thai citizens only.

Dual pricing is an abhorrent, degrading policy and should be stopped forthwith.

Whatever I pay, I still think its cheap, try comparing to prices back home. If the UK government started to charge foreigners more than the its own citisens, would we complain?

It´s stupidity like this that destroys for all of us, stop comparing the prices with your homecountry, this i Thailand and here is thai price.

Baht it´s a currency and you should not convert it to GBP before you decide if it´s cheap or not.

One baht is one baht as the same as one pound is one pound

Ex tip is not in thai culture and 30 y ago tip did not exist here, it´s stupid tourist who brought this to thailand and ofcourse thais take advantage of it.

The culture in Thai is to bargain for almost everything not give tip.

Do you want Thailand to have the same prices as you have in UK?

With your behavior this will happen soon.

Another person who doesn't like anybody to have different veiws than themselves, you must be a delight to live with, if indeed anybody does live with you.

Whatever I pay, I still think its cheap, try comparing to prices back home. If the UK government started to charge foreigners more than the its own citisens, would we complain?

It´s stupidity like this that destroys for all of us, stop comparing the prices with your homecountry, this i Thailand and here is thai price.

Baht it´s a currency and you should not convert it to GBP before you decide if it´s cheap or not.

Ex tip is not in thai culture and 30 y ago tip did not exist here, it´s stupid tourist who brought this to thailand and ofcourse thais take advantage of it.

Another person who doesn't like anybody to have different veiws than themselves, you must be a delight to live with, if indeed anybody does live with you.

Maybe he came over a bit strong, but he's absolutley right

Maybe he came over a bit strong, but he's absolutley right

Not in my opinion Jinners, we are all entitled to an opinion, this is a public forum and we must respect each others views. If somebody does not like my opinion I would suggest they move on instead of dishing out insults, that kind of behaviour is not helpful to anyone.

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Your missing the point....it is a case of racial Discrimination. I am sure all the Thai luxury car drivers who visit the parks etc would share your point of view

Went to the Pra Viharn National Park today and enjoyed fronting up to the office with my Thai ID card to pay only 40 baht. Would have been very pissed off to pay the foreigner price of 400 baht since all you can do is squint at Pra Viharn through binoculars, if it is not shrouded in cloud. Mrs Arkady is even more please about my new ability to avoid dual pricing than I am, as she no longer has to listen to my noisy protests at ticket offices and deal with my refusals to go and see waterfalls etc. I sometimes managed to pay the Thai price by showing a lifetime DL and at Mini Siam I brought my WP, having been told correctly that would result in Thai pricing. But more often than not ticket sellers stuck to their guns when I asked to pay the Thai price shown clearly in Thai numerals with nothing to suggest that it was a price for Thai citizens only.

Dual pricing is an abhorrent, degrading policy and should be stopped forthwith.

Sure, but the thai "attractions" and points of interest are not really that great anyway.

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Your missing the point....it is a case of racial Discrimination. I am sure all the Thai luxury car drivers who visit the parks etc would share your point of view

Your point of view doesn't seem to be shared with The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination which is a UN convention.

• Distinctions made on the basis of citizenship (that is, between citizens and non-citizens) are specifically excluded from the definition of Racial Discrimination.

They apparently can appreciate the difference, it's a shame people like you can't.

Most Thais think Falangs should pay more because they have more money, however millions of Thais have a higher income/net worth than the average tourist. Let's have some fun and put a hidden camera behind the park admission booth and have the gatekeeper tell a rich Thai that he has to pay 400 baht each for him and his family because he is dripping with gold jewelry and drove up in a luxury car. That would make for some good reality TV.

tlcwaterfall, they will miss you dearly and will feel it in their coffersYou think anybody gives a shit if you accept dual pricing or not?

Watch tourist growth numbers.

What growth numbers?

As I live in Phuket and ALL of the people I know in the tourist business I know, both small as VERY LARGE, are complaining about the lack of tourists.

Both in numbers and amount of sale, there has to be a calculation error on TAT's part and if not, where are the torists then?

Most of the visiting tourists that are still coming are charged for park fees, zoo and other attractions packaged in the price for tours, which many times includes the bus/van fair and lunch.

They will never know the attraction fee as it's not specifically priced on their receipt.

I try to go around in Thailand as much as possible with my family, but as I'm being singled out as a 'tourist' nowadays, we simple don't drive to one of the numerous of waterfalls or other attractions that exists within one day driving range, which was between 10Km to 400Km.

Today I don't even bring my work permit if we feel like visiting one of the parks with fee, we have stopped completely as I get upset, my Thai wife and daughter equally upset, every time they try to impose me to pay the extra charge. First time my daughter (she was 9 years old that time) found out they charged me 10-12X, she cried and felt very embarrassed that I was singled out.

I never showed anger earlier when she was with us because of her, now we simply don't go anymore to any because of all of us HATE this discrimination.

At one time, we went to a cave in Phang Nga on the way to Krabi, the Elephant belly cave, I showed my WP but they still insisted I had to pay the 500THB fee, my wife and daughter 50TBH each.

My daughter took my hand and tried to pull me away but I paid, because I wanted for them to visit one historic and very interesting spot of Thailand.

Both my wife and daughter didn't enjoy the visit as they would have without this stupid price hike for me, the whole time during our hike inside the cave ny daughter couldn't talk about anything else but this stupidity and still today, when we talk about memories from our previous visits to different attraction, they talk more about how insulted they were on my behalf.

We DON'T go anywhere to parks etc. anymore because of all of us only get angered by the pure insult it is to be overcharged because I'm not Thai.

Your point of view doesn't seem to be shared with The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination which is a UN convention.

• Distinctions made on the basis of citizenship (that is, between citizens and non-citizens) are specifically excluded from the definition of Racial Discrimination.

They apparently can appreciate the difference, it's a shame people like you can't.

Paragraph 3 specifically states>

3. Nothing in this Convention may be interpreted as affecting in any way the legal provisions of States Parties concerning nationality, citizenship or naturalization, provided that such provisions do not discriminate against any particular nationality

Thailand don't discriminate against a particular country, they do them all in one sweep.

Most countries would also accept and allow people who lived in the country in question, with their wife and family for many years to become a citizen, but not Thailand.

If I cashed up 5 million Thai baht, I could become a VIP visa holder, Elite Card, but that would only be valid for 5 years or I could apply for a permanent residence.

The Thai government has set a rule that maximum 100 people per country can get Thai permanent residence status, they also state to apply you have to live in Thailand for many years and be able to speak fluent Thai but I only know a handfull of people getting it, never heard about anyone the last 5 years who got it though, must be someone out there but to my knowledge, not a single one has gotten it for years.

That's how Thailand can discriminate foreigners.

Stop being a bunch of cheap skates!

Thais on average earn 100 baht a day. What is 200 baht for us farangs??? $5US which we make in 10 minutes of work compare to a Thai its 2 days (24 hours of work).

Thailand is cheap enough where they need to fix their prices at bars and clubs cause booze is the same as back home! Totally rip off here for alcoholic beverages!!!

฿100 a day, dream on. That certainly isn't Thai's. Cambodians & the like maybe when not being extorted with threats of deportation.

I know for a fact 10 years ago working in a sweatshop in Bangkok people would earn ฿300 on an average day, could push it to ฿400 but would work nearly 20 hours for that.

฿300 is the minimum wage for Thai's but most wouldn't work for that, unless young.

I know for a fact that people here in the Isaan area work on the field an entire day for 150 to max 200 Bath a day and they aren't Cambodians & the like but Thai

And I also know people in Issarn don't work for under 400 a day when asked by neighbours or friends to harvest the rice or anything else.

Kamalarider, nice written stories, I needed a tissue as I cried.

May be ask your tourism friends if they did a lot of business with Russians.

Thanks for your remark, but what I write isn't stories, they are real life events.

My "tourism" friends owns hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, bars, golf courts and other tourist related businesses and NONE of them are Russian or doing business with Russians, apart from having a few visiting their livelyhood.

Edited by KamalaRider

Time Traveller,

"Sure, but the thai "attractions" and points of interest are not really that great anyway."

I agree with, around Soi Cowboy or Pattaya, dual attractions are rare and to go to e.g. Wat Phra Keo or Emerald Buddha is an effort, not worthwhile because the entrance fee is close or equal to a barfine.

It might be interesting to find out if barfines have a dual pricing system.

Could be a nice topic for a new thread.

KamalaRider,

may be, just may be. that this years drop could had something to do with the political unrest in Thailand?

I wonder why you with your good connections can not explain it and your good friends also not.

So, the dual pricing system is a convenient explanation and fits perfect in this thread. You don't need facts, racism and discrimination is reason enough.

kamalarider,

you don't know what growth numbers are?

I don't want to explain to you to use your search engines on your computer.

You need a bit of effort and have to read a bit, not for somebody who is used to spoon feeding.

2 minutes and I found data on tourism in Thailand.

One example:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism.asp

The rising tourist arrivals are to do with the influx of the Chinese. Almost all other markets are down.

Your arguments are unpleasant and simplistic. Dragging in low end tourists for short stays won't save the tourist industry.

May I remind you of the saying....""There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics"?

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

only 2 thing to do if you want thai´s to change this

they need to feel it themself, so all outside thailand must charge 10 times the price to all thai and all going to thailand must turn there back to all places with dual pricing

perfect answer but you could not co ordinate all the other countries to section Thais pacifically. So the best answer is to bombard Facebook and all such media to say it is wrong. And to only visit the places who do a flat rate for everyone. Do not pay will be a fast indicator to the people in charge.

these parks and venues need money to survive but I don't feel like I want to subsidize Thai per say. just work out a flat rate for everyone and let it ride. Why phiss off any nationality other than Thai. And why don't the Thai complain about it being embarrassing for them........because it is not! Screwing foreigners is A OK to a Thai..........You ever hear a Thai complain its not fair to us ?

My research is thorough and up to date, somewhat differing from what you have posted.

post-25153-0-19486500-1444597979_thumb.p

In addition, those numbers alone don't tell the full story. How many of these zero-fee tourists invest in Thailand? Who actually believes that these kind of tours have been abolished when you see the quality of the Chinese tourist invading Thailand?

Perhaps bermannor should do some actual research instead of cursory searches on Google.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Do away with the farang tax? Sure ... Right ... Like Thais are ever going to give up this primary means of shamelessly exploiting foreigners, many of whom are so stupid and so naïve that they numbly equate it with "thainess" or "local culture" and can't even be made to realize they're just being pickpocketed! Thais have been doing this for so long now that it's in the DNA and some probably could no longer even make a living without being able to do this. "Land of Smiles" indeed. Now you know why they're smiling.

Let's put it in another perspective:

If the UK government charged 10 times as much for anyone who didn't have white skin, would you complain?