How's your condo management company?

KittenKong

Just wondering if anyone who lives, or has recently lived, in any of Saranchol Condo (Naklua) or Pattaya Klang Center Point Condo or Park Lane Condo (Jomtien) has any comments to make about their management company, WAM RoongRueang, and the way their building was/is run?

Comments about the management of other buildings in the greater Pattaya area are also welcome.

As feelings about management companies can sometimes run high, posters are reminded in advance about Thai libel laws. wai2.gif

Paradise Park , the same owner as Park Lane , Iguana, they did a good job with the management. We had several meetings when the bulding was new to sort things out. Israeli owners so they seem to know what their doing. But I sold my unit so not sure whats it like there today.

Paradise Park , the same owner as Park Lane , Iguana, they did a good job with the management. We had several meetings when the bulding was new to sort things out. Israeli owners so they seem to know what their doing. But I sold my unit so not sure whats it like there today.

That would be the developer, not the management company. Developers often do the management themselves until all units are sold, at which point outside management is often brought in (usually to save money). Some developers continue to do the management for many years and as long as the co-owners get good service and value this is fine.

As far as I know this WAM company does the management for Park Lane now.

We have 150 units in our Jomtien condo complex, we have a general manager/ Juristic person with 17 staff members, office/ reception, security guards, engineer, maids and gardeners, 5 committee members, including the chairman.

We are extremely lucky in having an excellent manager who runs the whole operation in an extremely professional manner.

We do not employ a management company , everything is managed "In House" including security guards.

I have been an co-owner and committee member ( one of a total of 9 ) of a 900 unit condo, that was managed by a company, with security guards outsourced from another company, it was actually a recipe for disaster.

Of course "Size Matters" but even taking this into consideration, if a condo complex can find a suitable professional manager and paying him/her a good salary and bonus, plus a relevant number of staff to run it, this in my mind is by far the best

option.

Of course "Size Matters" but even taking this into consideration, if a condo complex can find a suitable professional manager and paying him/her a good salary and bonus, plus a relevant number of staff to run it, this in my mind is by far the best option.

I'm inclined to agree, but it's a hell of a big "if". The level of corruption and incompetence here makes me suspect that in a large building this would be very hard to make work successfully, not least because the committee tends to change every 2 years, with little or no informed overlap, co-owners are extremely ill-informed in general and it's very easy for new members to be taken advantage of.

What do you think a "good salary and bonus" for a manager would be?

I live on Dhewee Park moobaan, Bang Saray. We formed a Juristic Entity seven years ago. We have a management committee of 6: 2 Brits; 2 Thais; 1 Norwegian; 1 Canadian. We employ 5 security guards; a team of gardeners; a poolman; part-time office manager; garbage collector 3 times a week; gym tech.. Our bank account shows over 1.5 million savings; up until last week 100% of owners had paid annual Maintenance fees of 18,000 pa average. Our web-site Dhewee Park.org shows what a lovely estate it is. There are 62 houses all maintained to standards laid down in our rules. There are no stray dogs; some feral cats; no crime reported in at least five years.

I have previously lived on an estate where no such management existed & over 50% did not pay. It showed in the overall fabric and was the prime reason I moved to Bang Saray - four minutes from a beautiful beach.

Of course "Size Matters" but even taking this into consideration, if a condo complex can find a suitable professional manager and paying him/her a good salary and bonus, plus a relevant number of staff to run it, this in my mind is by far the best option.

I'm inclined to agree, but it's a hell of a big "if". The level of corruption and incompetence here makes me suspect that in a large building this would be very hard to make work successfully, not least because the committee tends to change every 2 years, with little or no informed overlap, co-owners are extremely ill-informed in general and it's very easy for new members to be taken advantage of.

What do you think a "good salary and bonus" for a manager would be?

The absolute "Key" here is finding the right person to act as a manager, also combining this with the Juristic role.

Keep committee numbers as small as possible, in my experience, retired people with a business background are best, after all running a condo is ver similar to running a business, try to avoid any " Professional Trouble makers" also retain one existing member as an advisor, as this would be invaluable in providing continuity.

Salary and Bonus, well, this is a very demanding role and you get what you pay for, I would "Guessamate" around 60K plus up to 3 months bonus, for a dedicated and professional person.

The absolute "Key" here is finding the right person to act as a manager, also combining this with the Juristic role.

I think that would be a mistake. The JPM is (or should be) the manager's boss and is responsible for keeping him in order; I think the last thing you want here is for someone to be their own boss.

Keep committee numbers as small as possible, in my experience, retired people with a business background are best, after all running a condo is ver similar to running a business, try to avoid any " Professional Trouble makers" also retain one existing member as an advisor, as this would be invaluable in providing continuity.

This is fine in theory but the selection of committee members is done by vote, not by appointment, so it's not possible to include or exclude any particular person or type of person. Those who want to stand do so, and, like politicians, those who are good at talking will probably get the job, regardless of how competent or well-intentioned they are.

Salary and Bonus, well, this is a very demanding role and you get what you pay for, I would "Guessamate" around 60K plus up to 3 months bonus, for a dedicated and professional person.

Interesting. That figure is certainly a lot higher than anything I had in mind, and is a lot higher than what is paid in several buildings that I have had contact with (some of which are quite well run). Also I dont think that it is a particularly demanding role, though Thais do have a knack of turning any minor incident into a major event requiring hours of circular debate to find a solution, if indeed they do find a solution, which does make it appear on the surface that they are doing a lot.

What do you think the manager's salary/bonus should be as a percentage of the total building budget?

I live in Park Lane and my friend (now deceased) was the Chairman of juristic whilst I was there and he did a great job of keeping it going smoothly.

Now live in a condo in Sth Pattaya and Juristic is run by the residents, best run condo i have ever been in, safe, well kept and a pleasure to live in.

It has been some years since I sold my Condo at Jomtien Beach Condominium, probably one of the biggest condo complexes around Pattaya, over 3,500 units in 5 buildings, 2 of 18 floors and 3 of 15 floors. 2 swimming pools, 2 gyms, multi story carpark, 3 lifts per building, well maintained, 24 hour security.

Had an active committee of which there are a number of western names, AGM was a farce as it was never quorate (but that was not the fault of the committee as they tried their hardest to get as many co-owners to attend) but well managed and a mix of Thai and English spoken, excellent Juristic Person.

Having been an owner I see many ways that improvements could be made, but on a whole I was happy with my condo and the way the building was managed.

Thanks KittenKong for opening this topic as it gives me an opportunity to comment. I am a committee member of a rather small condominium where we frankly cannot afford one of those management companies, so we source our own managers over the years with mixed results (bad and good).

Considering a management company, I understand those companies will charge a huge amount of money and the actual presence of a qualified manager is rather minimal to say the least, am I correct in this assumption? I understand they will have some junior administrator at site most of the time and the actual manager will come by once or twice a week and not even stay for the whole day?

I am currently looking for a qualified manager so if anyone has any suggestions I would be happy?

Considering a management company, I understand those companies will charge a huge amount of money and the actual presence of a qualified manager is rather minimal to say the least, am I correct in this assumption? I understand they will have some junior administrator at site most of the time and the actual manager will come by once or twice a week and not even stay for the whole day?

How many units does your place have, and what is the annual budget (approximately)? From what you say your place could be ideal for having just a manager without a management company, as long (as others have mentioned) you can find the right person.

My condo management company, reportedly handling over 100 condos, sold me a 3 year lease on a lipsticked pig. Every week something fails and their

response is slow/weak/poor. They tried, and failed, to convert 2 studios

into a larger unit and used cheap materials, old bath appliances and

inexperienced workmen. Renters, and buyers also, have to check every damn

thing, EVERYTHING, before move in assome of these companies are expert

cosmeticians.

We used to have a good manager at the place I live now (I pm'd you Al). The crew we have now are actually OK too (cemco). Not great but moderately competent which is enough around here. Mostly the committee is the problem as they're never around. I was chairman myself for 2 years but its a thankless task tbh.

I would think Saranchol would have a pretty good management company, it's quite the exclusive residence.

My condo management company, reportedly handling over 100 condos, sold me a 3 year lease on a lipsticked pig. Every week something fails and their

cosmeticians.

I dont think you are talking about a condo management company. I think you are talking about an agent or a developer of some type.

A condo management company manages the finances and staffing of the entire building (ie the juristic person), on behalf of all the co-owners. They are directed by the elected committee. They are not a rental agency or renovator.

I live on Dhewee Park moobaan, Bang Saray. We formed a Juristic Entity seven years ago. We have a management committee of 6: 2 Brits; 2 Thais; 1 Norwegian; 1 Canadian. We employ 5 security guards; a team of gardeners; a poolman; part-time office manager; garbage collector 3 times a week; gym tech.. Our bank account shows over 1.5 million savings; up until last week 100% of owners had paid annual Maintenance fees of 18,000 pa average. Our web-site Dhewee Park.org shows what a lovely estate it is. There are 62 houses all maintained to standards laid down in our rules. There are no stray dogs; some feral cats; no crime reported in at least five years.

I have previously lived on an estate where no such management existed & over 50% did not pay. It showed in the overall fabric and was the prime reason I moved to Bang Saray - four minutes from a beautiful beach.

What would the break down of Nationalities be for the 62 houses?

I just feel that for say a condo building where 51% is local, and many owners may rent out or be mostly absent, the Maintenance Fee may not be paid 100%, and either the good residents make up the shortfall and give them a free ride, or standards start to slide.

cosmeticians.

I dont think you are talking about a condo management company. I think you are talking about an agent or a developer of some type.

A condo management company manages the finances and staffing of the entire building (ie the juristic person), on behalf of all the co-owners. They are directed by the elected committee. They are not a rental agency or renovator.

Although i think Fred might not actually be meaning to, i think his post does illustrate one of the problems some management companies have. That is that Co-owners do not, or choose not to understand the scope of the work they are engaged to do.

A property management company are engaged to oversee the Common areas and engineering of the building, alongside office/financial functions. There role is not to act as leasing agents, show perspective tenants/purchasers around rooms, deal with in unit malfunction which relate to personal equipment (although many do try and assist) etc

Their management fees and staff costs are paid by all Co-owners, not a handful who expect untolds amounts of addititionmal services. This is why the management companies need a strong Committee (mixed nationality) who undertstand their role to back them up and take action against other Co-owners and Renters if they are being pushed to do things outside their scope.

I would disagree that small committees are preferable. The current committee has only 3 members, which has proven to be a total disaster, which is not helped by our management company simply not being up to the job. Why co-owners voted for only 3 committee members is beyond me. The boss of the management company is also our JPM - never again!

The previous committee had 5 members and it was totally dysfunctional an highly unprofessional at times. The committee before that also had only 5 though that was down to a lack of volunteers and did not communicate well. They also did not monitor the activities of our then management company, which despite their faults was considerably better than our current one.

There was supposed to be an EGM towards the end of August but this was never called. Why? I don't know.

Alan

Kitten Kong,

Posted Yesterday, 11:12

fosseway, on 12 Oct 2015 - 10:39, said:snapback.png

I think that would be a mistake. The JPM is (or should be) the manager's boss and is responsible for keeping him in order; I think the last thing you want here is for someone to be their own boss

Fosseway

I think the board/ committee is responsible for major policy decisions, concerning expenditure / condo upgrades etc. and is in fact the manages boss, the JPM is responsible for all things legal, and to assure that the condo complies with the Thai Condominium Act. So basically, as I see it, if you trust your Manager you trust your JPM. We are quite happy in the fact they are under one umbrella.

Kitten Kong,

Thank you for introducing the topic, I have found it quite interesting, but we seem to have varying views here, my input has just been a personal opinion, and I think I would like to leave the matter there. Of course you have the right of reply, and probably will.

Best regards, Fosseway.

I think the board/ committee is responsible for major policy decisions, concerning expenditure / condo upgrades etc. and is in fact the manages boss, the JPM is responsible for all things legal, and to assure that the condo complies with the Thai Condominium Act. So basically, as I see it, if you trust your Manager you trust your JPM. We are quite happy in the fact they are under one umbrella.

The committee may be responsible but they have little direct real power, apart from refusing to sign cheques (and some committee members may be prepared to sign cheques even when other members are against it). The JPM has direct power. For this reason I think it is very unwise for management to also be JPM. In fact I can see no real advantage at all for the juristic person to have management act as JPM. It's a simple question of caution and prevention.

As for trust, this is not a word that would ever enter my head when I'm responsible for other people's money. For me my job as a committee member is to ensure that sufficient checks and balances are in place to protect the building and the co-owners' money to the fullest extent possible. 100% would be the goal. In my experience trusting people with money is not the way to achieve this, especially here.

The committee may be responsible but they have little direct real power, apart from refusing to sign cheques (and some committee members may be prepared to sign cheques even when other members are against it). The JPM has direct power. For this reason I think it is very unwise for management to also be JPM. In fact I can see no real advantage at all for the juristic person to have management act as JPM. It's a simple question of caution and prevention.

As for trust, this is not a word that would ever enter my head when I'm responsible for other people's money. For me my job as a committee member is to ensure that sufficient checks and balances are in place to protect the building and the co-owners' money to the fullest extent possible. 100% would be the goal. In my experience trusting people with money is not the way to achieve this, especially here.

If you have a well-run Condominium, the JPM should rarely have any involvement, other than signing legal documents, and ensuring the monthly financials are posted. I actually believe that having the JPM from the same company can be a good idea, albeit the JPM in the company should be separate and not involved with the day to day management of the individual Condominiums or the site staff.

The issues many condos have is that it is very difficult to find a JPM, and management companies typically don’t actually want to do it, unless the only way they get the management contract is to provide the JPM services as well. The JPM has very little reward for the risk, and other than a volunteer Co-owner it is difficult to find anyone to do the job for a reasonable price, and if it is a reasonable price I doubt they will want to be involved in 100’s of crappy little condo issues, and dealing with angry Co-owners which inevitably happens. You will very rarely find a JPM who would take direct action against anyone or anything unless they had a full resolution from the Committee, they are not going to step into individual issues, or for example block access to someone’s unit etc

For me the pros of having the JPM from the same company that provides the management outweigh the negatives, unless the building is lucky enough to have a local with time on their hands, the honesty and the will to do it.

You can have all the checks and balances in the world, but if someone on the management team, security etc wants to pilfer there are ways. Ironically the most common examples of money being stolen is when Co-owners refuse to follow the rules which provides the opportunity rather than the staff actively looking for ways around the system.

If you have a well-run Condominium, the JPM should rarely have any involvement, other than signing legal documents, and ensuring the monthly financials are posted. I actually believe that having the JPM from the same company can be a good idea, albeit the JPM in the company should be separate and not involved with the day to day management of the individual Condominiums or the site staff.

That might be acceptable if the management company is a large corporate body. But many management companies here are small (almost one-man-bands) and in this thread we are also considering buildings that have a manager without a management company at all. In both those cases I see massive disadvantages in these people being their own boss.

And of course you will only start to appreciate these disadvantages when things go wrong.

The issues many condos have is that it is very difficult to find a JPM, and management companies typically don’t actually want to do it, unless the only way they get the management contract is to provide the JPM services as well. The JPM has very little reward for the risk, and other than a volunteer Co-owner it is difficult to find anyone to do the job for a reasonable price, and if it is a reasonable price I doubt they will want to be involved in 100’s of crappy little condo issues, and dealing with angry Co-owners which inevitably happens. You will very rarely find a JPM who would take direct action against anyone or anything unless they had a full resolution from the Committee, they are not going to step into individual issues, or for example block access to someone’s unit etc

I wont say that it is easy to find someone to act as JPM. But I believe that a lot of effort should be put into finding one. A small salary could be paid to a co-owner for their time, and in Bangkok I think it is quite common for JPMs to be professional and salaried. I know of a couple of buildings here which also employ a professional JPM as well as a management company.

The JPM should not need to be involved in minor disputes between co-owners as this is the job of the building manager and, eventually, the committee, and I find it entirely normal that both a manager or a JPM should look for direction from the committee in case of disputes. This is what the committee is for. The JPM can advise the committee on any legal implications, eventually in consultation with a lawyer.

You can have all the checks and balances in the world, but if someone on the management team, security etc wants to pilfer there are ways. Ironically the most common examples of money being stolen is when Co-owners refuse to follow the rules which provides the opportunity rather than the staff actively looking for ways around the system.

True enough, but this is not a reason not to try and reduce it as much as possible. The more checks there are the less likely any fraud or theft becomes. The fewer checks there are the more likely fraud/theft (or even just loss through idleness or stupidity) becomes.

That might be acceptable if the management company is a large corporate body. But many management companies here are small (almost one-man-bands) and in this thread we are also considering buildings that have a manager without a management company at all. In both those cases I see massive disadvantages in these people being their own boss.

And of course you will only start to appreciate these disadvantages when things go wrong.

I wont say that it is easy to find someone to act as JPM. But I believe that a lot of effort should be put into finding one. A small salary could be paid to a co-owner for their time, and in Bangkok I think it is quite common for JPMs to be professional and salaried. I know of a couple of buildings here which also employ a professional JPM as well as a management company.

The JPM should not need to be involved in minor disputes between co-owners as this is the job of the building manager and, eventually, the committee, and I find it entirely normal that both a manager or a JPM should look for direction from the committee in case of disputes. This is what the committee is for. The JPM can advise the committee on any legal implications, eventually in consultation with a lawyer.

I agree if its a one man band then the manager should not also double as JPM. Most condos in BKK managed by large companies have the management company doubling as the JPM, because as i mentioned it is difficult to find a company to do it at a reasonable price level, and that they would put enough time/effort into it to do it properly to justify the outlay.

Many foreingers will not do the job of JPM due to questions over work permit, which would double should they actually recieve a salary for doing it. Although it is not the JPM's role to be involved with Co-owners, many Co-owners do see the JPM as some kind of higher authority and take to contacting them a lot.

I have active knowledge of about 25 higher end condo;s and i know one who have a salaried proffesional doing it, and last time i heard they were getting rid of him and requesting the management company representative company do it as part of the management fee as it was not worth the money. In addition if you have a lawyer as JPM, you must also remember you are paying them for providing the service of JPM, not to provide additional legal advice over and beyond that.

Many foreingers will not do the job of JPM due to questions over work permit, which would double should they actually recieve a salary for doing it.

I wont argue with this either. Immigration should make some specific written national exceptions for this sort of "work" so as to allow a farang co-owner to do this job, if no Thai candidate can be found. Obviously these exceptions would not extend to anyone acting as a professional JPM in a building in which they are not a co-owner, and any possible salary could be capped to a nominal level.

Similar (unwritten) exceptions already exist for committee members, based on verbal assurances given by local immigration officers, not that I put much faith in those.

So little clarity in Thailand. sad.png

Although it is not the JPM's role to be involved with Co-owners, many Co-owners do see the JPM as some kind of higher authority and take to contacting them a lot.

In our building I dont think that more than 1 in 10 of the co-owners know who our JPM is, let alone what he does. They mostly dont seem to know the difference between a manager and a management company either.

• 5 months later...

The committee may be responsible but they have little direct real power, apart from refusing to sign cheques (and some committee members may be prepared to sign cheques even when other members are against it). The JPM has direct power.

I think you are wrong there. The one who as power is the Committee. It takes decisions, more or less decided by owners at AGM, and give "orders" to the management.

// the JPM should rarely have any involvement, other than signing legal documents, and ensuring the monthly financials are posted. // the JPM in the company should not be involved with the day to day management of the individual Condominiums or the site staff.

Agree

Edit: Oops, old topic. Unsure why it showed up on my screen?

The committee may be responsible but they have little direct real power, apart from refusing to sign cheques (and some committee members may be prepared to sign cheques even when other members are against it). The JPM has direct power.

I think you are wrong there. The one who as power is the Committee. It takes decisions, more or less decided by owners at AGM, and give "orders" to the management.

In theory the committee's orders are supposed to be obeyed. But in practice the JPM can do precisely what he wants if he thinks that it is in the building's best interest. This does not mean that it actually has to be in the building's best interest, just that he needs to think that it is.

Section 36 of the condo act: "The manager shall have the following powers and duties:

(1) To carry out the work according to the objectives under Section 33 or resolution of the Regulations or resolution of the joint-owners General Meeting, however it shall not be contradictory to the law.

(2) In the case of necessity and urgency, the Manager shall have the power by his own initiative to carry out the business for the safety of the building as a prudent person should do to his own property."

Just another example of hopelessly vague and imprecise Thai law, I'm afraid.

Given that the JPM can always do what he thinks best rather than what he is told to, the committee has no real power at all apart from the ability to refuse to sign cheques, or to call an EGM.

Short of starting a civil action in court there is absolutely no way of penalising a JPM or forcing him to do anything, apart from withholding signatures on cheques or calling an EGM. And even at an EGM it may be tricky to force any action as the JPM is the one who reports the results of votes at the Land Office and arranges all the registrations. So he has a great deal of scope to falsify the returns, particularly if he is also the management company and can falsify proxy votes too.

In theory the committee's orders are supposed to be obeyed. But in practice the JPM can do precisely what he wants if he thinks that it is in the building's best interest. This does not mean that it actually has to be in the building's best interest, just that he needs to think that it is.

Section 36 of the condo act: "The manager shall have the following powers and duties:

(1) To carry out the work according to the objectives under Section 33 or resolution of the Regulations or resolution of the joint-owners General Meeting, however it shall not be contradictory to the law.

(2) In the case of necessity and urgency, the Manager shall have the power by his own initiative to carry out the business for the safety of the building as a prudent person should do to his own property."

Just another example of hopelessly vague and imprecise Thai law, I'm afraid.

Given that the JPM can always do what he thinks best rather than what he is told to, the committee has no real power at all apart from the ability to refuse to sign cheques, or to call an EGM.

Short of starting a civil action in court there is absolutely no way of penalising a JPM or forcing him to do anything, apart from withholding signatures on cheques or calling an EGM. And even at an EGM it may be tricky to force any action as the JPM is the one who reports the results of votes at the Land Office and arranges all the registrations. So he has a great deal of scope to falsify the returns, particularly if he is also the management company and can falsify proxy votes too.

This is all the more reason why the Manager should be distanced from day to day operation of the building, and engaged to stick to purely a legal role of executing the resolutions of the Committee.

Once they are allowed to, or they try and intergrate themelves into a day to day role, that is when problems occur as relationships are formed with Co-owners and issues become personalized.

Most proper JPM's will still no take action under Section 36 (2) unless they have a resolution of the Committee to protect themselves.

Archived