Renewing British Passport in Bangkok - a success story

Sounds like a text-book case.

I had one back in 8 working days as well, so that seems to have become the 'gold standard'.

Well done VfS and well done UKPA who have got their act together very successfully after a shambolic start.

• Like 1

I have a question.

I need to renew my passport only in a few years but I was thinking I had to send it to UK to renew now instead of go to the embassy.

Is the Trendy a new place where you can renew ?

Is it from the embassy or is it just a Thai office ?

Thanks

Great info! You have to pickup the passport in person?

No. You can appoint someone to collect it for you.

from their mail

Please note that passports cannot be couriered. You may however arrange for a third party to collect your passport on your behalf. If a third party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf, they will be required to bring the following with them:

i. Your previous passport(s) (for cancellation)

ii. Photo ID of the third party

iii. An authority letter signed by you giving the third party authorisation from you, stating his/her name and that you are permitting him/her to collect the passport on your behalf.

iv. If a third party representative is collecting a child's passport the letter of authority must be provided and signed by the person who has parental responsibility, and who signed the declaration when the application was made.

We must have done ours at the same time. I got the call yesterday saying mine was ready.

Less than 3 weeks from start to finish plus I was lazy & used 'Key Visa' service in Pattaya as I couldn't be bothered making two trips to BKK. They drop off your application & pick up your new passport plus they do all the necessary colour photocopies of your passport.

I had much the same as you mm888 , went a day early in Feb. to find Trendy and was told we could come in next day when it suited us . Everything went very easy next day and despite a sign saying only the applicant allowed in my TW came through , she had to take one form back out for photo copying but that was all..

Trendy went well but why oh why can't the passport be sent from Trendy to me ?. My wife got a plane back to BKK in March to pick up my passport ,we live north of C/Rai so one more plane journey out and one more return. Then she had a prob as she had to go to the British Embassy , this we were not told about in all the information we were given from TV and the passport office. Fortunately my wife was staying over to see her brother but if she wanted a return flight the same day as picking up my passport she would of missed the flight back here. Trendy in soi 13 is brilliant the BE is clap.

Madmonk888 ,

Thanks for some good info . I am in the position of running out of pages and this post was just what I needed . However there is just one thing that you have not mentioned and that is what happens to any existing and current visas that are in the old passport ? are they transferred to the new pp

Many thanks

Have to do mine next year as running out of spare blank pages....any advise on the Thai side of things, changing visa's etc, regards...

Don't forget that you can renew at ANY time. You will be 'credited' with up to 9 months unexpired term.

Either time the passport renewal a month or 2 before expiry of any extension or, immigration will transfer the stamps to the new passport on your next visit, Many immigration offices charge 500/1,000 Baht to do this.

Madmonk888 ,

Thanks for some good info . I am in the position of running out of pages and this post was just what I needed . However there is just one thing that you have not mentioned and that is what happens to any existing and current visas that are in the old passport ? are they transferred to the new pp

Many thanks

I haven't picked up my passport yet. Allegedly there will be a letter from the Embassy with my passport for the Immigration Office. I will report when I get my passport. As for transferring, most of us only have extensions not visas and we have to take both our old and new passport to the Immigration Office where they are supposed to stamp the new passport with the information from your old passport. Will let you know how that part goes.

there are so many conflicting reports on the renewal of a british passport I/e how many photos , colour photos of passport [ pages]? can anyone give me specific details .

All the information needed in the link

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I got two passport sized photos done before I went, I was paranoid about the size of my head in the photos as they have to be I think 29cm-35cm and then the colour of the background must be grey or beige. Anyway, there were obviously no issues with my photos as my passport is back. In the Trendy office building there are a few companies who will do your colour copies, or your translations ( I think 500 THB a pop) and even your photos if you want them too though you would have to allow time or go there on a reckie before your appointment. I also took a full colour copy of every page of my passport and again as I wasn't sure even the outside cover. For my proof of address as stated above I took a residency letter from Immigration and a verified translation

The link given to you above has all the information about how many photos, what size etc. and what is needed

We must have done ours at the same time. I got the call yesterday saying mine was ready.

Less than 3 weeks from start to finish plus I was lazy & used 'Key Visa' service in Pattaya as I couldn't be bothered making two trips to BKK. They drop off your application & pick up your new passport plus they do all the necessary colour photocopies of your passport.

And what was the total cost using Key Visa please?

Sounds like a text-book case.

I had one back in 8 working days as well, so that seems to have become the 'gold standard'.

Well done VfS and well done UKPA who have got their act together very successfully after a shambolic start.

I am so happy to hear that some of the applications are going so efficiently, however (isn't there always a however or but), my experience was completely different. Yes, when I took the application to Trendy, the people were efficient, polite and quite sociable. Was in and out in no time. Three months later.............no new passport, so got my tracking slip out and did the bit on the internet. Input detail.. ERROR. Input detail.. ERROR. input detail.. ERROR. Did this ad infinitum still with ERROR. Sent email to Trendy, who said, "We only respond to requests for appointments". Then went on to UK Passport website and sent them an email saying........"hello, remember me, who has no new Passport" and explained about the tracking number saga and the "we can't answer you" from Trendy. Lo and behold, two days later, a very nice lady phoned to say "yohoo, we have your new Passport, come and get it!" I also had an email of apology from the UK Passport Office saying they would investigate what went wrong with the application. So despite the hiccup, all's well that end's well, but just to let peeps know that things can go wrong.

• Like 1

And what was the total cost using Key Visa please?

5K Baht for their service of submitting your application, collecting new passport & providing any relevant photocopies.

You need to give them the completed application form, 2 x PP photos, completed payment form for whichever size PP you require. I wanted a jumbo size which costs £114 all in.

My application was for a second passport which was requested by my employer, so I have no need to cancel my current passport.

Edited by DMC1

Hi madmonk888,

What a coincidence, I was there at the same time as you, 10:05am 30th September :-)

I had an email from the passport finance office saying my card had failed to go through and to call them asap. I did that today and they tried again and this time it worked, a nice easy resolution.

Now just waiting for it to come back to Bangkok so I can collect it. Will you need to transfer your visa to the new passport?

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by mattk1

Hi madmonk888,

What a coincidence, I was there at the same time as you, 10:05am 30th September :-)

I had an email from the passport finance office saying my card had failed to go through and to call them asap. I did that today and they tried again and this time it worked, a nice easy resolution.

Now just waiting for it to come back to Bangkok so I can collect it. Will you need to transfer your visa to the new passport?

Cheers,

Matt

hi Matt

Our paths must have crossed. I will need to transfer my extension into my new passport. I asked them when I applied if I got a letter from the Embassy and they said when I pick up my passport . Let's wait and see , I will pick it up soon.

• Like 1

Hi madmonk888,

It's a pain that we have to go back to collect the new passport isn't it (unless you live in Bangkok that is), I have to make long bus ride..

Please let us know on here if you got the letter you mention above.

Cheers,

Matt

• 8 months later...