Police drop guard on Julian Assange at Ecuadorian embassy

webfact

Police drop guard on Julian Assange at Ecuadorian embassy

LONDON: -- London’s Metropolitan police will no longer be stationed outside the Ecuadorean embassy to catch Wikileaks founder Julian Assange who has been holed up inside since 2012.

Police have been on guard since he sought asylum to avoid extradition to Sweden over a rape allegation which he denies.

The cost of the police operation is estimated at around 15 million euros.

But the Met said the operation to arrest him would continue.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-13

The police not going to let his get away from them so easy and be ridiculed, they probably have

other surveillance equipment in place of a costly manpower and he's going to get nicked

the minute he steps outside...

Edited by ezzra

It is the US that wants to get their hands on Assange...

Assange arranged for Edward Snowden to receive safe passage to Russia...

The US does not forgive or forget...having been exposed to the world for spying on private citizens and foreign officials...

The police not going to let his get away from them so easy and be ridiculed, they probably have

other surveillance equipment in place of a costly manpower and he's going to get nicked

the minute he steps outside...

Still watching him, surreptitously

post-40497-0-06230300-1444704128_thumb.j

It is the US that wants to get their hands on Assange...

Assange arranged for Edward Snowden to receive safe passage to Russia...

The US does not forgive or forget...having been exposed to the world for spying on private citizens and foreign officials...

The US wanted him long time before Snowden even came into the picture.

I hope he make it to a country that isn't a brown nose for the US.

Victory for Julian, and for justice.

Why is this a 'victory for justice'?

He is avoiding an arrest warrant.

Does this mean that everyone in the world should just walk into any embassy and say 'keep me up in your Embassy (free hotel) because I do not want to fight this legal case in a court of law because I might get extradited to another country because I have broken their laws'.

Does this mean that everyone in the world should just walk into any embassy and say 'keep me up in your Embassy (free hotel) because I do not want to fight this legal case in a court of law because I might get extradited to another country because I have broken their laws'.

Let's settle for a victory for common sense.

Yeah, something like that wink.png

No, he was wanted for questioning. He had already been questioned in Sweden. We all know this had nothing to do with the allegations and all about Wikileaks. He would have ended up in the next cell to Chelsea Manning for 30 years.

No, he was wanted for questioning. He had already been questioned in Sweden. We all know this had nothing to do with the allegations and all about Wikileaks. He would have ended up

in the next cell to Chelsea Manning for 30 years.

NO. He was not just wanted for questioning. He had an arrest warrant and fully approved extradition against him. Please see the following timeline!

14 August Assange invited to Stockholm to address seminar by the Social Democrats Brotherhood Movement, staying at apartment of Miss A. The two reportedly have sex that night.

17 August Assange reportedly has sex with Miss W, a woman he met at the seminar on August 14.

17-20 August Both women share concerns over their sexual encounters.

20 August The Swedish prosecutors office issues an arrest warrant for Assange, for two separate allegations of rape and molestation.

18 November Stockholm district court approves a request to detain the WikiLeaks founder for questioning, on suspicion of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion.

20 November An international arrest warrant for Assange is issued by Swedish police via Interpol.

30 November Interpol issues a red notice for Assange.

8 December Assange presents himself to London police. He is remanded in custody after an extradition hearing.

14 December Protesters demonstrate outside Londons City of Westminster magistrates court, where Assange is appearing on an extradition warrant. He is granted bail on security of £200,000 to court and guarantee of two sureties of £20,000. Two hours later, Swedish authorities challenge decision to grant bail. Assange is kept in custody.

16 December Granted bail after supporters pay £240,000 cash and sureties.

7 February An extradition hearing begins at Belmarsh magistrates court. Later in the month the court rules for extradition to Sweden.

3 March Assanges lawyers say they have lodged papers at the high court for an appeal against the ruling.

12 July Assange launches his appeal. His QC, Ben Emmerson, argues the European arrest warrant that led to his clients arrest contained fundamental misstatements of what had occurred in Stockholm last August.

13 July Judges reserve judgment on the appeal.

2 November Assange loses his appeal. He says he will consider his next steps in the days ahead.

30 May UK supreme court upholds the high court decision, rules that extradition is lawful and can go ahead.

14 June The supreme court rejects a move by Assange to reopen his appeal against his extradition, saying it was without merit. He has until 28 June to ask European judges in Strasbourg to postpone extradition on the basis he has not had a fair hearing from the UK courts.

19 June Assange enters the Ecuadorian embassy in London, requesting political asylum.

No, he was wanted for questioning. He had already been questioned in Sweden. We all know this had nothing to do with the allegations and all about Wikileaks. He would have ended up

NO. He was not just wanted for questioning. He had an arrest warrant and fully approved extradition against him. Please see the following timeline!

14 August Assange invited to Stockholm to address seminar by the Social Democrats Brotherhood Movement, staying at apartment of Miss A. The two reportedly have sex that night.

17 August Assange reportedly has sex with Miss W, a woman he met at the seminar on August 14.

20 August The Swedish prosecutors office issues an arrest warrant for Assange, for two separate allegations of rape and molestation.

18 November Stockholm district court approves a request to detain the WikiLeaks founder for questioning, on suspicion of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion.

20 November An international arrest warrant for Assange is issued by Swedish police via Interpol.

8 December Assange presents himself to London police. He is remanded in custody after an extradition hearing.

14 December Protesters demonstrate outside Londons City of Westminster magistrates court, where Assange is appearing on an extradition warrant. He is granted bail on security of £200,000 to court and guarantee of two sureties of £20,000. Two hours later, Swedish authorities challenge decision to grant bail. Assange is kept in custody.

7 February An extradition hearing begins at Belmarsh magistrates court. Later in the month the court rules for extradition to Sweden.

3 March Assanges lawyers say they have lodged papers at the high court for an appeal against the ruling.

12 July Assange launches his appeal. His QC, Ben Emmerson, argues the European arrest warrant that led to his clients arrest contained fundamental misstatements of what had occurred in Stockholm last August.

2 November Assange loses his appeal. He says he will consider his next steps in the days ahead.

30 May UK supreme court upholds the high court decision, rules that extradition is lawful and can go ahead.

14 June The supreme court rejects a move by Assange to reopen his appeal against his extradition, saying it was without merit. He has until 28 June to ask European judges in Strasbourg to postpone extradition on the basis he has not had a fair hearing from the UK courts.

19 June Assange enters the Ecuadorian embassy in London, requesting political asylum.

Do you believe that any old Joe Bloggs would have had the UK police wasting 11 million quid on waiting around uselessly outside the embassy for years?

The supposed crimes do not warrant such, therefore there is much more to the case that we have not been informed of.

It wa a classic honeytrap, the first woman arranged for the trip , invited Assange to stay at her flat, agreed to have sex, then after the alleged rape, she arranged a party for him and let him stay at her flat for another week ! The allegations of the complainants are not credible and were dismissed by the senior Stockholm prosecutor as not worthy of further investigation.

It wa a classic honeytrap, the first woman arranged for the trip , invited Assange to stay at her flat, agreed to have sex, then after the alleged rape, she arranged a party for him and let him stay at her flat for another week ! The allegations of the complainants are not credible and were dismissed by the senior Stockholm prosecutor as not worthy of further investigation.

That sums it up very well.

It was indeed a classic honey trap.

Hard124get posted the following earlier;

"It wa a classic honeytrap, the first woman arranged for the trip , invited Assange to stay at her flat, agreed to have sex, then after the alleged rape, she arranged a party for him and let him stay at her flat for another week ! The allegations of the complainants are not credible and were dismissed by the senior Stockholm prosecutor as not worthy of further investigation."

Unquote

My comments are;

I think you are being a little bit selective in your comments.

The honeytrap comment is pure conjecture! The agreement to stay in the first womens flat is not in dispute. The rest is

Yes one charge was dropped back in Aug 2010 but was re-applied 11 days later. Please see more time lines below;

1 September 2010

1. Ms Nye says she is reopening the rape investigation against Mr Assange, eleven days after a chief prosecutor announced the arrest warrant had been dropped. Ms Nye is also head of the department that oversees prosecution of sex crimes in particular.

"There is reason to believe that a crime has been committed," she says in a statement. "Considering information available at present, my judgement is that the classification of the crime is rape."

Ms Nye says the investigation into the molestation claim will also be extended. She tells AFP that overturning another prosecutor's decision was "not an ordinary (procedure), but not so out of the ordinary either".

13 August 2015

Swedish prosecutors drop their investigation into one accusation of sexual molestation and one of unlawful coercion against Mr Assange because they have run out of time to question him. A time limit on a further allegation of sexual molestation is due to run out on 18 August. The more serious allegation of rape is not due to expire until 2020.

Mr Assange says he is "extremely disappointed".

12 October 2015

1. Scotland Yard announces it will no longer be sending officers to stand guard outside the Ecuadorean embassy in Knightsbridge, central London. Officers have been there since 2012, at an estimated cost of more than £12m.

In a statement the Met Police said: "Like all public services, MPS resources are finite. With so many different criminal, and other, threats to the city it protects, the current deployment of officers is no longer believed proportionate."

However it also said it would be deploying "a number of overt and covert tactics to arrest" Mr Assange.

PS I agree the whole guarding of the Embassy is a fiasco.

But this man should face justice and stand trial according to the facts as laid out by the Swedish and UK authorities at present.

His alleged leaking offences should and must be dealt with on their own merits in the appropriate court(s) otherwise all accused persons can do the same as him and avoid their day in court

Edited by scottiejohn

"It wa a classic honeytrap, the first woman arranged for the trip , invited Assange to stay at her flat, agreed to have sex, then after the alleged rape, she arranged a party for him and let him stay at her flat for another week ! The allegations of the complainants are not credible and were dismissed by the senior Stockholm prosecutor as not worthy of further investigation."

Unquote

My comments are;

The honeytrap comment is pure conjecture! The agreement to stay in the first womens flat is not in dispute. The rest is

Yes one charge was dropped back in Aug 2010 but was re-applied 11 days later. Please see more time lines below;

1 September 2010

1. Ms Nye says she is reopening the rape investigation against Mr Assange, eleven days after a chief prosecutor announced the arrest warrant had been dropped. Ms Nye is also head of the department that oversees prosecution of sex crimes in particular.

"There is reason to believe that a crime has been committed," she says in a statement. "Considering information available at present, my judgement is that the classification of the crime is rape."

Ms Nye says the investigation into the molestation claim will also be extended. She tells AFP that overturning another prosecutor's decision was "not an ordinary (procedure), but not so out of the ordinary either".

13 August 2015

Swedish prosecutors drop their investigation into one accusation of sexual molestation and one of unlawful coercion against Mr Assange because they have run out of time to question him. A time limit on a further allegation of sexual molestation is due to run out on 18 August. The more serious allegation of rape is not due to expire until 2020.

12 October 2015

1. Scotland Yard announces it will no longer be sending officers to stand guard outside the Ecuadorean embassy in Knightsbridge, central London. Officers have been there since 2012, at an estimated cost of more than £12m.

In a statement the Met Police said: "Like all public services, MPS resources are finite. With so many different criminal, and other, threats to the city it protects, the current deployment of officers is no longer believed proportionate."

However it also said it would be deploying "a number of overt and covert tactics to arrest" Mr Assange.

But this man should face justice and stand trial according to the facts as laid out by the Swedish and UK authorities at present.

His alleged leaking offences should and must be dealt with on their own merits in the appropriate court(s) otherwise all accused persons can do the same as him and avoid their day in court

The whole point is that Assange is not an ordinary suspect, and that the US want to lock him up forever. That takes everything into the political realm. The US can easily end the whole fiasco by giving a written assurance that he will not be extradited to the US on that matter. The fact that they won't speaks to the heart of the case.

BTW, I believe that Assange was only wanted for questioning in Sweden. How difficult would it be for someone to travel to London to do so. The British government could have saved 11 million quid by paying Sweden for someone to do so.

Unquote

My comments are;

1 September 2010

13 August 2015

12 October 2015

Yes, as I said before a classic honeytrap.

Unquote

My comments are;

1 September 2010

13 August 2015

12 October 2015

The whole point is that Assange is not an ordinary suspect, and that the US want to lock him up forever. That takes everything into the political realm. The US can easily end the whole fiasco by giving a written assurance that he will not be extradited to the US on that matter. The fact that they won't speaks to the heart of the case.

BTW, I believe that Assange was only wanted for questioning in Sweden. How difficult would it be for someone to travel to London to do so. The British government could have saved 11 million quid by paying Sweden for someone to do so.

Nice try. No indication the US wants him.

He's his own worst enemy, as are many cowards.

Seen in a London restaurant with Lord Lucan and Elvis last night... gigglem.gif

On hindsight should have stopped the uniformed police presence a long time ago...

In actual fact I am sure there will be a few agencies watching the Ecuador Embassy so why should the MET even do covert surveillance.

And if he does manage to get out out of the UK... Good riddance to the ______ .clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Unquote

My comments are;

1 September 2010

13 August 2015

12 October 2015

Nice try. No indication the US wants him.

He's his own worst enemy, as are many cowards.

No indication the US wants him.

Would Chelsea agree with you? I think not.