Thai Songstress Seeks International Fame

britmaveric

Thai songstress seeks international fame

Tataelninyo1.jpg

BANGKOK, Thailand - Tata Young is Asia's version of Britney Spears: Catchy pop tunes you hear once and can't get out of your head, stiletto heels and a dash of scantily clad, gyrating naughtiness. Tata's 2004 debut English-language album, "I Believe," won her fans throughout Asia, placing her among a small circle of Asian pop stars to grow beyond their nation's borders.

But Tata, the only daughter of an American father and Thai mother, hopes her second English-language album released in September, "Temperature Rising," will propel her to worldwide fame, and her determination is backed by the songwriters and producers behind the sounds of Spears, Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera.

"People who represent me have made a lot of people famous... like, come on,

Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, you name them all," the 25-year-old Bangkok native said in a thick midwestern American accent that mimics her father's.

But some have criticized Tata's racy songs and steamy music videos, including the conservative former senator and culture watchdog Rabiabrat Pongpanich.

"People who go to her concerts don't go to listen to her music but are wasting a lot of money to see breasts, hips, a belly and a butt that can dance," Rabiabrat said in a report on the Thai-language Web site Daily News.

-AP

30 Sept 2006

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai songstress seeks international fame

BANGKOK, Thailand - Tata Young is Asia's version of Britney Spears: Catchy pop tunes you hear once and can't get out of your head, stiletto heels and a dash of scantily clad, gyrating naughtiness.

So does this mean in a couple of years she will get pregnant to a "dancer" and return to an upmarket trailer like Britney.

Or have the Las Vegas wedding like some only to have it annulled in under a week.

Well her music and might be crap but her PR group seems to be earning their pay. I was at B2S at world trade (flows better than central world) and her cds was every where, seemingly every 20 cds in the Thai section hers popped up again and also in the international section. There different displays all over the store, even a bathtup like in she is pictured in.

I can understand some Thais negitive reaction as her photos are racey, suited more for america that thailand which is more conservative. It is just too much.

What is interesting is to look at the cover of her album The "best" of Tata Young, you can see the progression of her face after plastic surgeries.

Edited by lingyai

If she's still under with Grammy, she's doomed.

Hasn't been with Grammy since, er, 2000 I think. Grammy has connections in Taiwan and a few links regionally, but you have to be with one of the big inter firms like Sony to make a hit abroad; looking at how few non American/American based artists can strike it big in the USA boyband/girlband/solo eye candy category; I am not sure she will be able to tap USA; but maybe she can make some impact in some other major markets. To date Coco Lee & Utada Hikaru are the two Asian singers i can think of who have sold to some aclaim; however both were USA based.

Given that American mass music is possibly the worst most limited form of music worldwide, she still does stand a chance though, her music certainly lacks any creativity or quality, and thus meets the criteria to compete against Paris Hilton, Jennifer Simpson, etc etc.

Mint is the other one trying for this market; however I cannot see her doing it; doesn't have the looks or the ambition of Tata.

I totally support her, good enough or not. I just can’t believe how in this global society, a country of 60 million can’t produce a single internationally know artist. Countries like Thailand need to step up and demand their place in the global arena... there is no reason US and UK artists should disproportionately dominate international music.

You go Tata!! Put Thailand on the map!

I haven't liked her songs since she started modeling her music to be Britney Spears. Recent songs like dhoom dhoom and el ninyo don't do anything for me. She was so much better when she had her own identity. I really like some of her older songs so much and one of her Thai language songs is among my favorite songs of all time.

I think she has what it takes to make it in the US and worldwide, although she wont reach quite the same level as Spears and Aguilera by doing the same thing, she's a bit late to jump on that train.

But yeah, reasonably good looks, a decent singing voice, lots of self confidence and a great team of marketing people and song writers.

Most people like simple, repetitive songs such as her recent stuff.

If she wants to go that path, good luck to her. To me it seems a lot like selling what identity and dignity you have for stardom though... but we all make our choices.