Motorbike yes or no?

I'm in Kammala now. Been here a month. Be here another month.

I'm 71.

I motocrossed 250 and open class CZ's.

In 69 I raced a Kawasaki Triple.

In 70 I raced a Dunstall Norton.

All FIM sanctioned.

I did the last FIM Le Mans start in the USA.

Rode Harley long before helmet laws and electric starters.

Have owned half a dozen BMW boxer twins.

I want to try riding a motorbike here.

Kammala and Patong.

Surin and Karon.

I am absolutely scarred shitless.

Terrified.

If I try it possibly I'll find I worried needlessly.

I cannot afford repeated taxi fares.

So I'm really limited in what I want to do.

Am I the only one apprehensive about riding here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, I swore blind I wouldnt get a bike here despite wanting one............it took me about 8.5 years before I gave in, having said that Im only 51 and the worst problem Ive found is the state of the roads by me especially effin great holes.

The Thai drivers are predictably unpredictable if you know what I mean, corners cut, red light running, blind bend passing no lights on at night...... the normal stupidity

Probably be ok if you just pootle along slowly.

Am driving a bike in / around Pattaya.. would not want to miss zhe flexibility, freedom, time saving.. and feel safe

.. neither drive drunk nor crazy (enough others doing that) nor do I race, drive pretty defensiv

I got my PCX 150 about 2 months after I arrived here. Motorbike-licensed, but very little experience back home. I found that, just like crossing the road in Ho Chi Minh City, riding here is a matter of your own confidence and knowing (trusting) that all the experienced locals will avoid you and your following of all the road rules. They will avoid you, they will track around you...they will also cut in front of you, overtake you on the right just to turn left in front of you....but if you concentrate on what's in front, and avoid the idiots in front of you, let the people behind you do the same.

Go for it. Get a bike. Just don't speed, and always follow the rules, regardless that the locals don't.

And remember to keep the left lane clear at traffic lights so left-turning cars can get through.

Riding a bike gives freedom flexibility in a way a car never can. It is less safe but still its worth the risk in my opinion.

When I was a kid it was, no helmet, wind through the hair....Now, no freedom with one of those lids on, with a slot to see out of....smile.png

Do you wear your seatbelt ?

Riding a bike gives freedom flexibility in a way a car never can. It is less safe but still its worth the risk in my opinion.

When I was a kid it was, no helmet, wind through the hair....Now, no freedom with one of those lids on, with a slot to see out of....smile.png

Not talking about that trans, talking about how on a bike you get past traffic easy, and don't have the parking problems a car has. I use a helmet always and often other protective gear too.

I ride my bikes all the time. Seldom use the car. i dislike using the car. thais have driving habits that are hard to deal with in a car. But with a bike can get around no matter how bad the other drivers are. Easier to park and so much faster to get around. Never an accident with my bikes and 3 with the car.

Not saying yes or no to the idea of riding a bike in Thailand. When fear is running through your veins that's when your mostly likely to get into trouble and make a mistake. If you do decide to take the plunge of riding a bike in Thailand, be very very careful, no amount of experience can prepare you for the way the Thais ride and drive cars. Good luck if you do decide to head out on the roads. Just remember Phuket being a tourist area, equals alot of drink drivers.

In some ways it is easier riding/driving in Thailand than in the west, the pace is slower and people are a lot more forgiving, but I do exclude BKK from this comment.

Practice in an area that is not too busy until you get used to the mentality here. I am a Honda Wave fan, big wheels, gears and really easy to ride, best suited to a biker with legs astride. Then move up.

Don't take anything for granted on the roads though, "officially" they drive on the left, assume anyone will pull out in front of you, keep your wits about you and you will be fine. If in doubt back off, there is no hurry.

I cannot imagine living here without wheels and bikes are both a cheap and easy way to get around.

If you like a drink or two, ignore everything I have just said and use a gf, songtow, tuktuk or taxi.

Even though you have loads of experience you have to put your age into account.Maybe rent A small one ride it in your area where you live and see how it feels before you go all out.

Um I rented in Chiangmai Mai,to much traffic.Rented in Udon Thani,it was sort of ok.Rented in Koh Phangan that was ok.

I would definitely not ride in Bangkok,Pattaya,Phuket.And wouldn't ride in Chiangmai Mai again.

Maybe dip your toe in and see if it feels like fun,or not.To me to many crazy drivers out there.

The clip below is very graphic. Accidents like that can happen anywhere, but the evidence is that they happen more often in some places than others. I've been saved by the generally high standard of driving in the UK when I've been on two wheels. powered and pedals. I'd be killed in Thailand. Your man JC from retirecheapasia has a recent clip of him riding his scooter and he pauses it to comment on all the dangers (second link below). The behaviour's mental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwARyvFjdwk

Do you still have hair?

I have been riding bikes outside of thailand for about 30 years, mostly superbikes (more than 150hp). I recently discovered the Stallions brand bike (Thai manufactured). They are normal shifting, real bikes that let me scoot through traffic like a scooter, but they ride like actual bikes (scooters took me some time to get used to the semi auto shifters and the strange rake of the front forks. They are not expensive (around 65k baht) and just a pile of fun to ride. I had mine fixed up so the total cost has more like 180k baht. Below is a pic of my brothers (stock) and mine.

I can't say enough about how fun and relativelyt safe they are. They come stock with about 14.5hp. If you are looking for an alternative so some fat clunky automatic scooter you should really look at one of these:

post-30837-0-73536700-1444757858_thumb.j

Edited by smccolley

Go for it ! I had absolutely NO bike experience before coming to LOS. Got my first ever bike license here. With your experience you've little to worry about.

Oh, I'll be 67 next week. Got my license this year.

Cheers..... Mal.

I have been riding bikes outside of thailand for about 30 years, mostly superbikes (more than 150hp). I recently discovered the Stallions brand bike (Thai manufactured). They are normal shifting, real bikes that let me scoot through traffic like a scooter, but they ride like actual bikes (scooters took me some time to get used to the semi auto shifters and the strange rake of the front forks. They are not expensive (around 65k baht) and just a pile of fun to ride. I had mine fixed up so the total cost has more like 180k baht. Below is a pic of my brothers (stock) and mine.

I can't say enough about how fun and relativelyt safe they are. They come stock with about 14.5hp. If you are looking for an alternative so some fat clunky automatic scooter you should really look at one of these:

You could have bought a Yamaha R3 for that price. That's an awful lot of turd polishing you've done there.

Just buy a bike and go for it. When I first came to Thailand I would rent bikes in Chiang Mai and Go all over the place. Just drive and be aware.Just go with the flow and donot assume anything or drive by rules..Forget all proper driving rules they donot apply here. Being too courteous can be a problem also. In close quarters at slow speeds Thais give way easily to the most aggressive drivers.like at intersections. so be aggressive and get your way.Do not drive at high speeds to many variables here. Have fun and enjoy the road.

You could have bought a Yamaha R3 for that price. That's an awful lot of turd polishing you've done there.

I guess if everyone agreed with you there would only be one motorcycle for sale in the entire world. That "turd" as you refer to it happens to be a fun toy and is relatively unique. Luckily people other than you find enjoyment riding uniqiely "polished turds".

But in the future if I decide to make any major purchase I will be sure to ask everyone in the world what then best and only product is to purchase. We can all have the same and to hell with anything different or unusual.

You don't say what bike you're interested in. If looking for a scooter go the PCX route or Forza which is more comfy and has more power, especially for longer runs.

On the other hand if you have motocross experience, riding a bike with an upright position such as the Versys, Triumph etc has its benefits if you can stand on the pegs for a little peep over traffic and cars pulling out.

71-year-old guy.

Can you see okay and do 10 push-ups?

If so I clear you to ride.

Or just stay home and await death.

...or just stay home and await death...well there is a choice.

Just hire a bike, a 110cc Wave, which is a sit astride with gears, which is what you are used to, find somewhere quiet and spend half a day buzzing around.

Stop, have a coffee and find somewhere a little busier, by the end of the day you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Then post another thread about what bike to buy.

Age is a state of mind......

By the way, I remember you, Rawhide wasn't it? How is Clint these days?

Yes, go for it.

It's actually safer in Thailand than most other countries like Australia, USA, Canada, etc. (in my opinion) because the traffic is slower and everyone on the road knows the existence of motorcycles.

If you think you've become a bit older (mentally) than you were before, then a scooter like a PCX would be good, you don't have to worry about clutch and shifting gears, more attention on the road and you only need to move your hands while riding.

Stay away from scooter with basket, weird how you turn but the basket stays straight, and besides it looks gay...whoops sorry. For Auto's I love the Scoopi. If you're used to clutch, then the auto scooters will feel strange, and they balance differently.

Bloody cheek, you "love" the "Scoopy" and call me gay for having a basket on my extremely masculine Honda Wave 110i in Ferrari red. How else I am going to carry all my skin products home?cowboy.gif