Motorbike yes or no?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stay away from scooter with basket, weird how you turn but the basket stays straight, and besides it looks gay...whoops sorry. For Auto's I love the Scoopi. If you're used to clutch, then the auto scooters will feel strange, and they balance differently.

Bloody cheek, you "love" the "Scoopy" and call me gay for having a basket on my extremely masculine Honda Wave 110i in Ferrari red. How else I am going to carry all my skin products home?cowboy.gif

cheesy.gif Myself I ride Suzuki Raider, old lady has the scoopi, But I still like it. Good luck with the facials.

I have been riding ducati's for near on 30 years now, did club racing in my younger days, had a few off's but always had the right gear on....

Jumped on a scooter first week here beginning of the year

found out the hard way that they do not go round corners like ducati's - thongs/boardies/t-shirt/no gloves lol you can guess the result.

you will be fine as long as you ride defensively and keep your wits about you re what everyone else is doing

Oh and they don't go round corners like ducati's….and maybe wear shoes as a starter at least lol..

Stay away from scooter with basket, weird how you turn but the basket stays straight, and besides it looks gay...whoops sorry. For Auto's I love the Scoopi. If you're used to clutch, then the auto scooters will feel strange, and they balance differently.

Bloody cheek, you "love" the "Scoopy" and call me gay for having a basket on my extremely masculine Honda Wave 110i in Ferrari red. How else I am going to carry all my skin products home?cowboy.gif

cheesy.gif Myself I ride Suzuki Raider, old lady has the scoopi, But I still like it. Good luck with the facials.

You bloody liar......you got caught admitting you ride a girl's bike and then try to tell us all, "cough cough!" "well actually I ride a RAIDER hit-the-fan.gif That other bike, it's not mine at all it's my wife's.

Followed quickly by JPB adding, I have been riding a huge Ducatti for 30 year, ever since I was 5 ....... ermm.gif

You bloody liar......you got caught admitting you ride a girl's bike and then try to tell us all, "cough cough!" "well actually I ride a RAIDER hit-the-fan.gif That other bike, it's not mine at all it's my wife's.

Followed quickly by JPB adding, I have been riding a huge Ducatti for 30 year, ever since I was 5 ....... ermm.gif

wow - not once did i say it was huge, and for the record my first ducati was purchased when i was 20, the last one when at 51

the point was more about scooters don't go round corners the same - you end up with bark off

was meant to be funny - guess that got lost on you

Are you talking 'boot fried pork skin, condoms, or Estée Lauder ?

I'm in Kammala now. Been here a month. Be here another month.

I'm 71.

I motocrossed 250 and open class CZ's.

In 69 I raced a Kawasaki Triple.

In 70 I raced a Dunstall Norton.

All FIM sanctioned.

I did the last FIM Le Mans start in the USA.

Rode Harley long before helmet laws and electric starters.

Have owned half a dozen BMW boxer twins.

I want to try riding a motorbike here.

Kammala and Patong.

Surin and Karon.

I am absolutely scarred shitless.

Terrified.

If I try it possibly I'll find I worried needlessly.

I cannot afford repeated taxi fares.

So I'm really limited in what I want to do.

Am I the only one apprehensive about riding here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem riding here as long as you ride at a sensible speed, stay out of the way of mini vans, coaches, pick up trucks and cement trucks, because of the poor road surface you need to concentrate 100% looking out for ruts and Holes, avoid driving at night mainly because you can't see the road condition ahead, love driving here!

Just come back from a 2000km trip on my Honda Click, not one problem apart from the awful seat.

Edited by Badrabbit

wow - not once did i say it was huge, and for the record my first ducati was purchased when i was 20, the last one when at 51

the point was more about scooters don't go round corners the same - you end up with bark off

was meant to be funny - guess that got lost on you

I'm just messin' widg you........... biggrin.png

But I do agree, if you are used to a bike, which this young lad is, he needs a "sit astride" bike, not a wobbly scooter which you ride with your legs tight together. I can't believe even after all this time he can't change a few gears.

Riding a bike, is like riding a bike...you never forget.

When I came out here 8 years ago, I made a bee line for a Wave (100cc manual clutch), having ridden scooters on holiday in Europe and seen people fall off. I rode a push bike for years and changing gear on a Wave was just as easy.

We need to get this fellow biker back where he belongs, with something hot and throbbing between his legs.clap2.gif

Edited by AllanB

A rider that is 'scared shitless' has no business being on the road as he is a danger to himself and others. Assuming that is an exaggeration and you're more trepidatious than frightened, an experienced rider can adapt to any conditions, and that certainly includes worse than can be found in Phuket. As has been recommended, start off during times of day that are less busy (early mornings are best, a bit after 6am when most of the drunks are home, hospitalized, or on ice) to get a feel for the roads, and then progressively test out busier periods.

With your experience, you should be able to instruct newbies rather the feel fear that (what should be) your considerable skills will not be enough to ride with a reasonable margin of safety in Thailand. Were you a new rider I would advise way more caution and perhaps not venturing out on two wheels at all, but you are someone who likely can handle himself and his machine, and that's what goes the furthest toward keeping you from injury here.

To answer your question

Yes go for it without any more dilly dallying

I too am 71 and ride my 2010 Yamaha 135 cc nouveau around Pattaya all the time and also my Cycle an 29er Hybrid

One poster mentioned your fear and I must say that when I started driving a motor cycle around here many years ago I used the "defensive driving techniques" because I too was scared shitless but they didn't work over here

The only safe place on Pattaya roads is to be on the front line which means a slightly aggressive driving style

Now before all the posters start to give me grief for that last remark you and all the experienced riders in Thailand will understand what I meant which is nothing to do with being an aggressive rider!

You have to be in control and ready for any event and there will be millions of them (events that is) but if you do have an accident then make sure that it isn't your fault, the Thai courts can be sometimes a bit biased in favour of the poor Thai when it comes to equating responsibility or blame in the event of an "accident" which clearly may not have been your fault

Oh and in this edit some info that is absolutely essential

be vary careful when there is any sand on the road especially in braking or just going on a gentle bend the thin tyres on my Yamaha are notoriously unstable and maybe on other scooters as well

Edited by n210mp

To answer your question

Yes go for it without any more dilly dallying

I too am 71 and ride my 2010 Yamaha 135 cc nouveau around Pattaya all the time and also my Cycle an 29er Hybrid

One poster mentioned your fear and I must say that when I started driving a motor cycle around here many years ago I used the "defensive driving techniques" because I too was scared shitless but they didn't work over here

The only safe place on Pattaya roads is to be on the front line which means a slightly aggressive driving style

Now before all the posters start to give me grief for that last remark you and all the experienced riders in Thailand will understand what I meant which is nothing to do with being an aggressive rider!

You have to be in control and ready for any event and there will be millions of them (events that is) but if you do have an accident then make sure that it isn't your fault, the Thai courts can be sometimes a bit biased in favour of the poor Thai when it comes to equating responsibility or blame in the event of an "accident" which clearly may not have been your fault

Oh and in this edit some info that is absolutely essential

be vary careful when there is any sand on the road especially in braking or just going on a gentle bend the thin tyres on my Yamaha are notoriously unstable and maybe on other scooters as well

The perfect post as to why NOT ride a bike in LOS......laugh.png

I agree 100%.

What makes you think it matters who's fault it is if you have an accident, a) you are probably going to get hurt and, B) it WILL be your fault, even if you not on the bike at the time, or not even in the country? You are a farang, that's it.

I think you have used the wrong phrase in "a slightly aggressive driving style" the phrase should be "alert at all times" and avoid accidents at all cost. IMO there is no place for any form aggressive driving in LOS.

Ensure that you have a common blood group. Your blood may be in the street.

A bit morbid.....

...but anyway that doesn't work here, most locals are group AB, whereas most Farangs are O...... and the real bad news is that they can use our blood, but we can't use theirs.

So if you did have an accident find a bucket quickly.licklips.gif

I am O neg!

The universal donor.

But, I am very expensive.

Me too...what what what.....I can't give blood in the UK as I visit Thailand.....

Maybe we should carry two bottles on our bikes, one for drinking water and one for blood, forget the engine oil as O neg is interchangeable with that too......fine lubricating properties.

We should exchange phone numbers just in case, start a club......

Edited by AllanB

I have been riding bikes outside of thailand for about 30 years, mostly superbikes (more than 150hp). I recently discovered the Stallions brand bike (Thai manufactured). They are normal shifting, real bikes that let me scoot through traffic like a scooter, but they ride like actual bikes (scooters took me some time to get used to the semi auto shifters and the strange rake of the front forks. They are not expensive (around 65k baht) and just a pile of fun to ride. I had mine fixed up so the total cost has more like 180k baht. Below is a pic of my brothers (stock) and mine.

I can't say enough about how fun and relativelyt safe they are. They come stock with about 14.5hp. If you are looking for an alternative so some fat clunky automatic scooter you should really look at one of these:

Quite a pretty bike. I seem to remember that one of the East European manufacturers tried to hang on after the collapse of communism with a single cylinder cafe racer. China makes all the old Japanese stuff, like Honda's CG125. Buying the tools for something pretty straightforward - given the amount of two wheel transport in Thailand - has to be a good idea. Whatever happened to the Kawasaki GT550 with shaft drive - the dispatch rider's favourite? If Thailand made that it could be an export earner. Brazil tried to make the Yamaha YPVS 350, but somehow they couldn't follow the instructions.

.. I recently discovered the Stallions brand bike (Thai manufactured).. .I had mine fixed up .

Called Zues. They will make /sell you anything you want. Suit optional(sic)

Even a Yamaha SR400

http://zeus-custom.com/

10461771_783632818327158_1462392922_n-96

Zeus does nice work for sure, but I live in Pattaya so I go to Rudy at MaiThai. By BIL uses another one on Pattaya Thai but they never seem to have the parts he wants convenient and has to wait, but he pays less.

Nope, I swore blind I wouldnt get a bike here despite wanting one............it took me about 8.5 years before I gave in, having said that Im only 51 and the worst problem Ive found is the state of the roads by me especially effin great holes.

The Thai drivers are predictably unpredictable if you know what I mean, corners cut, red light running, blind bend passing no lights on at night...... the normal stupidity

Probably be ok if you just pootle along slowly.

As a reasonably experienced rider here in Thailand, I would say that the state of the roads are the thing to most look out for

if you want to stay safe, and no, I have never come off my bike because of the roads.

Common sense will tell you the best ways of keeping safe riding your motorbike.

I ride my bikes all the time. Seldom use the car. i dislike using the car. thais have driving habits that are hard to deal with in a car. But with a bike can get around no matter how bad the other drivers are. Easier to park and so much faster to get around. Never an accident with my bikes and 3 with the car.

If you use common sense and ride defensively, you can stay reasonably safe riding your motorbike.

Forget about whether you should ride on the hard shoulder, 1st or 2nd lane or whatever, use whatever

lane is safe at the time according to road and driving conditions etc,etc, and don't break the speed limit.

Thais give way easily to the most aggressive drivers.like at intersections. Do they???? Just try and be aggressive and see how long before your first accident.

Don't use aggression, use common sense and keep safe.

Do not get involved in any sort of road rage here you will come off worse, drivers here have no fear of the police and they have no comprehension of the consequences of there actions, most carry weapons and are not afraid to use them, turn a blind eye and drive on safely.

Thais give way easily to the most aggressive drivers.like at intersections. Do they???? Just try and be aggressive and see how long before your first accident.

Don't use aggression, use common sense and keep safe.

To be fair, I can see where this was going. Perhaps "agressive" is not the right word, but if you sit waiting for a Thai driver to give way at a junction (even if they should) then you will be sat there for ever, especially in BKK.

If you are not a little bit forceful, or assertive, you will go no-where. Literally.