Complaint to Ombudsman over Wissanu's brothers' appointment to NRSA

webfact

Complaint to Ombudsman over Wissanu's brothers' appointment to NRSA
The Nation

30270836-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE ASSOCIATION for the Protection of the Thai Constitution filed a complaint with the Office of the Ombudsman yesterday calling for a probe into Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and his deputy Wissanu Krea-ngam for appointing members of Wissanu's family to the National Reform Steering Assembly.

Srisuwan Janya, the association's secretary-general, said Wissanu might have acted with a conflict of interest in appointing Air Vice Marshal Chalermpol Krea-ngam and Dusit Krea-ngam, his brothers, as NRSA members.

He said the appointment of the two could be deemed to violate Article 13(2) of the Ombudsman Act and PM's directives on political office-holders' ethics.

He said the prime minister had appointed 77 police and military officers - up to 38 per cent of places in the Steering Assembly. The NRSA should have more diversity of professionals and not people from the same families.

He said that if the Ombudsman's Office found that his petition has grounds, it should forward the complaint to the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Complaint-to-Ombudsman-over-Wissanus-brothers-appo-30270836.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-14

Another complaint that will essentially fall on deaf ears as this is how things work here, those in power look after family, friends and cronies.

Whatever happened about the situation of NCPO members employing relatives as ' aides and advisors ', in one case an Admiral found jobs for four of his family.? After the initial ' kerfuffle ' ( just had to giggle.gif ) it was claimed a suitability for employment test would be applied and anyone deemed not qualified would have to give up their job but ... ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

These people have no shame. How they have stood there and told the Nation about reform,end corruption, nepotism etc.

Its no suprise as it has always happened, but to openly preach about good governance etc and then to so publicly go against it in such an open way goes some way to explain actually how serious they are about reform or how much contempt they have for the public. But again to many this is no surprise.

This is all before they appointed the geriatric head of the NRSC committee.

If it’s good enough for the PM's brother to be a member of the National Legislative Assembly, then the precedence has already been set for others.

Today, CDC Mark II Chairman Meechi tells us that, “Thai society needs to think seriously about its own democratic style that fits its norms, tradition and culture”. (http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/crisis-management-must-be-part-of-charter-meechai/117330/)

From this one can infer that nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai tradition and culture. This includes the complete rejection of the radical western notion of “appointments by merit alone”.

The problem is that these appointments are done intentionally, to reinforce the power of the person making the appointment, and without any transparency or regard for the interests of Thai citizens. And these are the people who are telling the world that this is a “reformist” government intent on stamping out corruption!

THE ASSOCIATION for the Protection of the Thai Constitution ??

Is this a joke?

Where were they when Prayut violated Article 68, "Right to Protect the Constitution" of the 2007 Constitution and Article 113 of the Criminal Code? Are they now protectors of the NCPO's 2014 Interim Charter as there is no longer a people's constitution.

But ask the Ombudsman for a probe. Maybe Prayut-appointed Ombudsman former Deputy Permanent Secretary for Defense General Wittawat Ratchatanan will give the matter careful consideration. wai2.gif

Another complaint that will essentially fall on deaf ears as this is how things work here, those in power look after family, friends and cronies.

Whatever happened about the situation of NCPO members employing relatives as ' aides and advisors ', in one case an Admiral found jobs for four of his family.? After the initial ' kerfuffle ' ( just had to giggle.gif ) it was claimed a suitability for employment test would be applied and anyone deemed not qualified would have to give up their job but ... ?

........................................."Another complaint that will essentially fall on deaf ears as this is how things work here, those in power look after family, friends and cronies."......................................

Congratulations NKK, you just described every regime that has ever been in power in Thailand. biggrin.png

When there is no vision, no plan and no strategy for the future, which engenders natural support, rulers resort to blind loyalty, to stay in power.

Everyone know where this is going. Increased oppression, brutality, crackdowns, propaganda and nepotism.

Capital, talent and entrepreneurship are packing their bags.

If it’s good enough for the PM's brother to be a member of the National Legislative Assembly, then the precedence has already been set for others.

Today, CDC Mark II Chairman Meechi tells us that, “Thai society needs to think seriously about its own democratic style that fits its norms, tradition and culture”. (http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/crisis-management-must-be-part-of-charter-meechai/117330/)

From this one can infer that nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai tradition and culture. This includes the complete rejection of the radical western notion of “appointments by merit alone”.

The problem is that these appointments are done intentionally, to reinforce the power of the person making the appointment, and without any transparency or regard for the interests of Thai citizens. And these are the people who are telling the world that this is a “reformist” government intent on stamping out corruption!

............................."From this one can infer that nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai tradition and culture. This includes the complete rejection of the radical western notion of “appointments by merit alone”......................................

I doubt if too many Thais would be at all surprised if this was the case, most of them have been brought up under these conditions.

It only seems to be the outspoken farangs, who comment from the safety of their computer room, or a cheap-charlie internet cafe off Sukhumvit, who complain about the way things are done in Thailand. The same ones probably complain about Thai driving habits, the weather, and anything else they can think of.

......................."And these are the people who are telling the world that this is a “reformist” government intent on stamping out corruption!".....................

Once again, previous governments have blown that horn as well, did you complain then that nothing was done about it ?

30182356-01_big.jpg

Edited by mikemac

mikemac

In response to your question, yes I did complain! As a matter of fact I took part in many of the marches against the previous government!

But, previous government actions are not the subject of this forum. Regardless of what they may have done, they are now history, and we should learn from that history.

Even the PM is telling us that, if this paragraph from his UN speech is to be believed:

“What we do today will become tomorrow's history. Therefore, we must make the best of today, so that ten or twenty years from now we will be remembered for our actions”.

Unfortunately, it would appear the reformist ideals the PM espouses don’t seem to apply to junta family members.

So, let me repeat my observation, nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai tradition and culture. And that, my friend, is what this forum is about!

There was a huge outcry when the last elected government wanted to amend the Constitution and make the Senate wholly elected in stead of half-elected and half-appointed. The Constitutional Court did strike the amendment down because 1.it would undermine Democracy with the King as Head of State 2. because a wholly elected Senate would have too many family as members.

Sometimes I don't know if I want to cry or to laugh.

THE ASSOCIATION for the Protection of the Thai Constitution ??

Is this a joke?

Where were they when Prayut violated Article 68, "Right to Protect the Constitution" of the 2007 Constitution and Article 113 of the Criminal Code? Are they now protectors of the NCPO's 2014 Interim Charter as there is no longer a people's constitution.

But ask the Ombudsman for a probe. Maybe Prayut-appointed Ombudsman former Deputy Permanent Secretary for Defense General Wittawat Ratchatanan will give the matter careful consideration. wai2.gif

So the Ombudsman is now a former General appointed by PM Prayut.

Do you think he will follow up with Yingluck and cousin number 1 Surapong on the outstanding, three years outstanding, Ombudsman's questions regarding their illegal issuing of new passports to their criminal brother / cousin?

Yingluck asked for several extensions to prepare her answer and then simply never bothered to give one.

Perhaps he'll follow her precedence.

Doesn't having a family member in the inner circle qualify you? Brains or the lack there of could run in the family circle. Even if your a blood relative as in the above case would you still have to pay an entry fee into the inner circle or does being a blood relative give you a pass? Just wondering. Maybe the whole deal is run like a Ton Teen pyramid scheme.

mikemac

In response to your question, yes I did complain! As a matter of fact I took part in many of the marches against the previous government!

But, previous government actions are not the subject of this forum. Regardless of what they may have done, they are now history, and we should learn from that history.

Even the PM is telling us that, if this paragraph from his UN speech is to be believed:

What we do today will become tomorrow's history. Therefore, we must make the best of today, so that ten or twenty years from now we will be remembered for our actions.

Unfortunately, it would appear the reformist ideals the PM espouses dont seem to apply to junta family members.

So, let me repeat my observation, nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai tradition and culture. And that, my friend, is what this forum is about!

Nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai culture but somehow the law are subjected to much interpretation depending on political expediency. Perhaps you can explain why was Yingluck found guilty for nepotism and ask to step down by the constitutional court if nepotism as you said is an accepted part of Thai culture. I like to learn from you.

Eric Loh

I don’t dispute that Yingluck engaged in nepotism. But, since you have asked, I can’t explain why Yingluck was found guilty (of abuse of power) at the time when the opposition were seeking to bring down her government by any means. That was the decision of the Constitutional Court, which was certainly no friend of the Shinawatra clan or their followers, and neither am I, may I add.

In fact some argue that the court was a tool for the Bangkok Traditional Elite’s control of Thailand. Attacking her through the Constitutional Court was just another part of what critics had called the “rolling silent judicial coup” that continued for months against her elected government.

As you correctly observe, Yingluck did pay the price for her abuse of power, but the junta now controls the country and we need to focus on what they have done to change the culture (rather than let this forum become a debate about For or Against Yingluck).

Unfortunately, it would seem that the junta haven’t done too much to change things. Prayut hand-picked the NLA, and they in turn repaid the favour and elected him as PM! It has been reported that since then, more than a quarter of the NLA’s members have appointed family members or relatives as personal aides, paid for by taxpayers. Forum rules prevent me from including a link to this report (but, I’m happy to email it to you if you wish)!

So, apart from the Yingluck-example that you have mentioned (which unfortunately, seems to be a one-off), I still have to stand by my claim that nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai culture.

Eric Loh

I dont dispute that Yingluck engaged in nepotism. But, since you have asked, I cant explain why Yingluck was found guilty (of abuse of power) at the time when the opposition were seeking to bring down her government by any means. That was the decision of the Constitutional Court, which was certainly no friend of the Shinawatra clan or their followers, and neither am I, may I add.

In fact some argue that the court was a tool for the Bangkok Traditional Elites control of Thailand. Attacking her through the Constitutional Court was just another part of what critics had called the rolling silent judicial coup that continued for months against her elected government.

As you correctly observe, Yingluck did pay the price for her abuse of power, but the junta now controls the country and we need to focus on what they have done to change the culture (rather than let this forum become a debate about For or Against Yingluck).

Unfortunately, it would seem that the junta havent done too much to change things. Prayut hand-picked the NLA, and they in turn repaid the favour and elected him as PM! It has been reported that since then, more than a quarter of the NLAs members have appointed family members or relatives as personal aides, paid for by taxpayers. Forum rules prevent me from including a link to this report (but, Im happy to email it to you if you wish)!

So, apart from the Yingluck-example that you have mentioned (which unfortunately, seems to be a one-off), I still have to stand by my claim that nepotism and patronage will continue to be an accepted part of Thai culture.

You have given me a fair and balance comment. Thanks. Nepotism and cronyism of the current government are well reported and many in the mass media were braved to criticize the blatant double standard. That sad one-off fact is not a minor event that people can easily forget especially when the same practices still happen with impunity. Yes we all have to move on and hope that the promised reforms will ensure that history will not be repeated. IMHO that's a big ask.