Little scams make big money

Thaijack2014

Today I went with my girlfriend to Hua Hin on our motorbike with sidecar. We nearly ran out of gas and went to the fuel station on our way back home, . <deleted>

They are one little gang of small thiefs. What they do is not so obvious, but if you come there more often, you will notice that they always overcharge by one or two baht. A little scam, and normally one wouldn't even think about it. Me as a Dutch citizen am used to live without cents and all the amounts are rounded up or down, depending on how much you have to pay.

But this little scam is getting on the nerves of my girlfriend, who hates it when people are so greedy. Now, I understand that they don't earn much money and I would have given a small tip (I would round up the amount).

But the boy who gave my change said: here is two baht and put a one baht coin in my hand.

Yes, again, I know it is not much, but do this a few hundred times and the amount is nearly as much as the daily income.

So, if you have been there and experienced this kind of thievery, think about it, put yourself in the shoes of a Thai who also has to work for little money. A baht is money and to get it stolen from you is for a Thai a very bad behaviour.

It happened to us at this tankstation three times: the first time when my girlriend went to get fuel there, the second time a few weeks ago, when the amount was overcharged and today they tried it again.

I know I will get to hear that there are bigger things to worry about, but it doesn't feel right to be treated like a stupid farang who doesn't see the difference in the coins and who doesn't know how to count. For them it is way bigger money than it is for us, That's why we should make them aware that what they are doing is wrong...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I have had to check my change and point out that I was light was on the buses in Bangkok.

I was just thinking today, I'm quite lucky, not to live in a tourist destination - the police here are too busy directing traffic and smuggling Rohingyas, it doesn't occur for food vendors to overcharge and when I speak to a moto-taxi he's so shocked that he's not quick enough to rip me off.

I just rode a 5,000km trip round Laos, the only place I was stopped was outside Hua Hin police station, the last time I was stopped 4 years ago; outside Hua Hin police station ..

It's a simple solution - move away from The tourist destinations.

OP I wish I wish i wish I had your life.... to be so free of time and bereft of problems that afflict us common laymen, so that you can devote a decent chunk of paragraphs to a 1 or 2 Baht scam..... my my how I wish my life was so simple that I would be vexed so by this evil plot.

Buy a good scale and weigh everything you buy from the market. You'll see that they cheat you EVERY time you buy something there.

This is Thailand, nobody cares for it.

It is nothing to do with Thailand, it does not happen any more here than in other countries.

On the other hand Thai also except 1 baht less if you have to pay.

Many times i have to pay like 20 or 30 baht and just grab my coins out of my pocket. Then when i 'm 1 baht short in coins they accept it.

I don't like to carry many coins so always try to pay with them first before reaching to my wallet.

Also i hope they stop with the satangs soon, get tired of those.

one baht ....... two baht ........... five baht !!! welcome to honest Thailand whistling.gif

I never seen it advertised as "Honest Thailand" ...........or any other country for that matter.

Wouldnt work calling another country honest Thailand

He ruined your day for a baht...think about that

You mean at least a couple of days. The day it happened, then a nights sleep, and now he has to blog about it to try to get it out of his system. Maybe it has something to do with wooden shoes!