Thailand scraps unpopular Internet 'Great Firewall' plan

webfact

Lets hope that this puts an end to this matter, although this Government with its draconian self appointed powers can't be trusted. I would like Prayuth to come out himself and categorically state that the idea has been totally abandoned.

Yingluck lied when she promised the Amnesty Bill had been terminated - all versions had apart from the most controversial one that had been amended in her brothers interests.

However, she did say they would scrap their similar attempt to police negative social media comments, and even "likes" of those comments, through the Cyber police. That was then scrapped.

So, politicians lie, and sometimes tell the truth.

Why would anyone expect any government to be different?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if indeed it has been scrapped and that is the end of it, why is my internet still utter cack?

My internet was crack before too.

Changing providers made it a bit more reliable. Upping the speed, sort of made things a bit faster, sometimes, but not always.

I doubt they've done anything different to what's always been happening. The worrying thing is we don't really know what does happen, only what we're told.

Didn't 'they' scrap the plan to buy 3 submarines also? I bet a free One Gateway System will come with the 3 subs.

Yep. They scrapped the submarines purchase more than once when it was criticised.

"We will not talk about this any more. If we say we won't do it, we won't do it," Somkid said

until the next time......

We'll see what happens. What these guys say doesn't have much meaning at this point. But it doesn't sound like the single gateway idea was feasible from the get go.

I'm sure they will continue to work to develop some other way to get tighter control over the internet and that they could get much help from the Chinese towards those ends if they aren't already. And that we won't know what hit us for awhile if they do it correctly. Seems pretty daft that they come out announcing what they will do.

Define control,

I come from Europe, Belgium

All the ISP's (ISP = internet service provider) must keep a record, a log, from all the website's you visit, all the people who you contact, al the msg's you post, from the last year. Your ISP always can see what you do on the internet. (or you must use TOR or Darknet or ...)

Lawyers try now to fight this system. And if my info is up to date, they are winning the case.

But always keep in mind, your ISP already keep al log from all your activity on the internet.

I see it's being reported the new chairman of CAT is going to be General Thaweep Netrniyom who's currently secretary-general of the Office of the National Security Council.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/NSC-chief-tipped-to-be-new-CAT-chairman-30271124.html

More than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by Stocky