New car tax to be effective in Thailand next January

webfact

Wow.

The previous rebate scheme has damaged the car industry for years to come, then they add this double whammy on top.

Say goodbye to more car factories.

Are there any affordable eco cars? Well, they will be relatively affordable compared to the newly expensive regular cars.

Pickups change slightly. Regular cars change a lot!

I am not crying about less car factories, and would jump for joy with more bicycle factories.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kelboy, on 16 Oct 2015 - 10:46, said:snapback.png

So 200000 more for a new pick up,well done.no more new cars for me.

that is just what the car market needs....not

while the price of pickup trucks will rise by about 10,000 baht.

What is a large car if a e.g Ford Ranger Pick-Up is not one of them +200,000thb

OK I get it.10,000 555

So 200000 more for a new pick up,well done.no more new cars for me.

that is just what the car market needs....not

while the price of pickup trucks will rise by about 10,000 baht.

That is for eco friendly cARS...

For small cars, price will increase by about 85,000-160,000 baht, and the price of larger cars will be 200,000 baht higher or more.

I'm offering affordable reading classes for TVF members. Or was it reading glasses? Or both? facepalm.gif

• 2 weeks later...

OK many friends going out to buy cars now before the big hit

So is there a list of ECO cars that are being pushed

or is it any car that is E85 or CNG or LPG?

List of Eco cars:

Honda Brio

Mazda 2

Mitsubishi Attrage

Mitsubishi Mirage

Nissan Almera

Nissan March

Suzuki Celerio

Suzuki Ciaz

Suzuki Swift

Toyota Yaris

Note that all of these will be going down in price next year - so not advised you rush out and book one ;)

As for E85 cars - the list is too long for me to post here.. Over 40 different models now support this.

Wow.

The previous rebate scheme has damaged the car industry for years to come, then they add this double whammy on top.

Say goodbye to more car factories.

Are there any affordable eco cars? Well, they will be relatively affordable compared to the newly expensive regular cars.

Pickups change slightly. Regular cars change a lot!

Boy they sure know how to kill an industry. Kick it when its down. The economy is in rough shape and this will only hasten its demise. The part that makes me laugh as how this will help clean up pollution yeah sure. Try cracking down on all these oil burning tuk tuks first. Bring in a workable bus service not this Mickey Mouse red truck proposal. Set up a diesel testing station where people must get their pollution checked every 2 years no pass no license plate. Try tackling the scrub burning here in the hills of Chiang Mai first now that would impress the H out of me.

Surprise surprise, tuktuk's drive on lpg grandpa...since a decade or so.

It's the citybuses and dumptrucks who blow large black fumes. They are classic vehicles but we'll get brand new ones from China soon.

But it's weird that pickups are so cheap and get taxdiscount because they are "company"cars. That's why every somchai needs a pickup and then alters everything to be cool. Sure they drive less then 10 km a litre while a new smaller sedan car can do 20 easy....not in BKK probably but on long distance they can.

Fortuners are also pickups no matter how many options or seats are installed.

They should ban the diesels in the city, my friend even wants to buy a Pajero sport..if you hear the dieselengine of those you think a John Deere tractor from 1970 is approaching.

Don't quite get this figures. So a small car goes up by a substantial amount and a pick up by the equivalent of a night out in Nana plaza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if I a right about that, some one please correct me if I am not, but thik PickUp trucks are taxed differently because of their utilitarian capacity. Out in the country everyone uses a pick up truck for work and farm,

Reading the new tax regs it's a combination of engine size, co2 and type of vehicle. For what I can tell there's a fixed rate of 25% below 150g emission(which nowadays covers a lot of mid size cars)

So there's really no incentive for small hatches at all.

What is the current tax rate on say an HRV compared to new one?

Edited by Cook my sock

Reading the new tax regs it's a combination of engine size, co2 and type of vehicle. For what I can tell there's a fixed rate of 25% below 150g emission(which nowadays covers a lot of mid size cars)

So there's really no incentive for small hatches at all.

What is the current tax rate on say an HRV compared to new one?

Old tax: 25%, new tax: 35%

From another thread on the subject:

14448142641444814311l.jpg

Source: http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1444814264

I can't see how people think it will "kill" the market. People will still drive/buy cars.....the home-built vehicles are still way cheaper than imports due to protective duties and Thailand produces largely pickups and eco cars......so I would have thought that will boost the industry.

The market is already in the doldrums. Have you not seen the buying figures? The one area that's doing v well is the suv market which Honda pretty much own.

But who will want to pay nearly 100,000 baht extra for this HRV? I wouldn't be surprised by 25% less new car sales in 2016.

Thanks ! That's very clear and easy to understand now.

I wonder how popular this new tax is with Japanese companies who invested in factories .. I mean, the idea that this will raise more revenue when it kills the market is .. very Thai

It's not about revenue, it's about clean air and less pollution.

Just look how many huge cars are stuck in traffic all day long in BKK and how many problems their size gives.

And they all drive pickups (also the fortuners are pickups) because they were cheaper in tax. (And huge cars so the Thai gain face if they buy one). A fortuner is not comfortable at all in case you didn't know.

The Japanese factory's also make small cars in Thailand so they will sell anyway.

When i lived in a condo next to a busy mainroad we had to mop the floor 2-3 times a week or have a dirty floor and black feet.

Thanks ! That's very clear and easy to understand now.

I wonder how popular this new tax is with Japanese companies who invested in factories .. I mean, the idea that this will raise more revenue when it kills the market is .. very Thai

It's not about revenue, it's about clean air and less pollution.

Just look how many huge cars are stuck in traffic all day long in BKK and how many problems their size gives.

And they all drive pickups (also the fortuners are pickups) because they were cheaper in tax. (And huge cars so the Thai gain face if they buy one). A fortuner is not comfortable at all in case you didn't know.

The Japanese factory's also make small cars in Thailand so they will sell anyway.

When i lived in a condo next to a busy mainroad we had to mop the floor 2-3 times a week or have a dirty floor and black feet.

CO2 regs are not about clean air and not likely to make the air cleaner. The black crud you cleaned of your floor is not CO2. CO2 is considered a greenhouse gas so this type of emissions regulation is aimed at global warming. The new emissions based tax system uses CO2 is an excuse to raise tax.

Emissions regulations limiting particulates and NOx would have some long term effect on respiratory issues and dirty buildings etc but these have not been adopted by Thailand. Even the existing regulations controlling emissions from cars, trucks and industry are barely enforced so it's hard to believe the government is serious about air quality improvement.

Edited by Jitar

Do you really believe that? I'd also love to see less traffic in Bkk

The only way that you reduce city traffic is to make a congestion charge.

Urban traffic is reduced by charging vehicles to enter the city, coupled with an integrated public transport system......I can't see BMA getting to grips with that in the near future.

Do you really believe that? I'd also love to see less traffic in Bkk

The only way that you reduce city traffic is to make a congestion charge.

Urban traffic is reduced by charging vehicles to enter the city, coupled with an integrated public transport system......I can't see BMA getting to grips with that in the near future.

It's a tax. plain and simple to raise revenue. Using a BS excuse like reducing green house gases proves it when they do absolutely nothing about the pollution from old buses, old and not so old trucks, and pick-ups.

I am looking at a Pajero Sports and I want to wait till the exchange rate improves. So, if I order late December and pay a deposit in December, but the car doesn't arrive till January or Feb, do I have to pay the extra tax?

I don't want to throw money away!

2 Nov 2015 05:10 UTC - 3 Nov 2015 05:17 UTC
AUD/THB close:25.60134
Edited by BSJ