Royal Enfields

jpb1963

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A viable alternative seems to be the Stallion 400. There was a thread on TV just a few weeks ago. 120,000 Baht

thanks for that - just googled and read about this model.

that certainly looks retro and is priced well, not as cool as the enfield but still a simple bike that has some old school about it and priced sensibly as well.

i don't get where they think the enfield is worth 3 times as much as this as it is well known that these are still a cheap bike to produce (the enfield)

any idea who sells these in thailand?

Anyone for a Hindustan Ambassador, AKA Morris Oxford?

Maybe there is a reason they don't sell them here... and the same goes for these cars......

The trouble is that now they have shut down the secondhand import market, this is what we have on offer instead.

A mate of mine in the UK bought an old "Enfield" (as it was then) years ago, paid £100 for it, now that makes sense.

agree totally - there is no way in the world that the new ones are a 9kUSD proposition, but then I guess there will be the people that don't care what it costs.

its a bit like going into town - we went to Paragon few weeks ago in BKK, the number Lambo/Porsche/beemer/benz etc was astounding

I test rode a Continental GT in India and it was a fun bike but there's no way it's worth 300k+. I'd have to think about it before even paying 200k. Over in India I seem to remember them being cheaper even than that - around 150k THB equivalent. If I was living over there then I'd buy one at that price, but for anything more I'd prefer to build a custom bike of my own (or stretch to a Thruxton).

The older carb Bullets are good bikes to ride, but nowhere near the quality of the original British ones (I spent some time this summer on a 1960 350, much better made). I also have an original 250cc Continental GT in bits which my dad bought as a project for me when I was a kid - I really ought to start building it...

Interestingly the guy I rented off last time I went to India pays the same price for used carb-era Bullets (I think mine was 2007) as he could pay for brand new EFI ones. Perhaps in his case though it's because the carb ones are more dependable/easily tunable for high altitude in the Himalayas.

I test rode a Continental GT in India and it was a fun bike but there's no way it's worth 300k+. I'd have to think about it before even paying 200k. Over in India I seem to remember them being cheaper even than that - around 150k THB equivalent. If I was living over there then I'd buy one at that price, but for anything more I'd prefer to build a custom bike of my own (or stretch to a Thruxton).

The older carb Bullets are good bikes to ride, but nowhere near the quality of the original British ones (I spent some time this summer on a 1960 350, much better made). I also have an original 250cc Continental GT in bits which my dad bought as a project for me when I was a kid - I really ought to start building it...

Interestingly the guy I rented off last time I went to India pays the same price for used carb-era Bullets (I think mine was 2007) as he could pay for brand new EFI ones. Perhaps in his case though it's because the carb ones are more dependable/easily tunable for high altitude in the Himalayas.

Indian prices in the link

http://www.zigwheels.com/newbikes/Royal-Enfield

A viable alternative seems to be the Stallion 400. There was a thread on TV just a few weeks ago. 120,000 Baht

that certainly looks retro and is priced well, not as cool as the enfield but still a simple bike that has some old school about it and priced sensibly as well.

i don't get where they think the enfield is worth 3 times as much as this as it is well known that these are still a cheap bike to produce (the enfield)

In Chiang Mai , Stallions are sold at the Keeway dealer on highway 11, near the junction with Charoen Muang Road , near Macro. This shop is just 1KM North of the Benelli dealer , also on HW 11. The 400,s are due to be on sale , or soon.

In Chiang Mai , Stallions are sold at the Keeway dealer on highway 11, near the junction with Charoen Muang Road , near Macro. This shop is just 1KM North of the Benelli dealer , also on HW 11. The 400,s are due to be on sale , or soon.

Do you know if the 400 has the same size frame, or is it bigger?..and is it a two seater or Cafe?

I believe they are "full" / farang size 2 seater. Havent seen one in the flesh yet. Search TV or Google.

KTM is a new model coming? i tried to google but the only english page i can seem to find refers to the existing model - do you have a link by any chance?

• 1 month later...

By far the most "Retro" of all the retro bikes currently on sale. I've always liked Enfields (inc the Indian made ones) and always will. Hand pinstripe lining of fuel tanks is a dying art, but still done in India. Being a Luddite, i personally prefer the earlier pre FI, seperate engine/gearbox models. But hey, Kudos to the Indians in keeping the name alive.

i personally prefer the earlier pre FI, seperate engine/gearbox models.

Me too.

It's great that they're here, but I wouldn't rush to spend that much on an Indian-made bike. I mean they're ok - I've ridden them in some pretty rough conditions - but they're inevitably nowhere near the build quality of the original ones. I'd rather fork out the extra for one of the new SR400s.

LOL. Re pinstripe hand lining of petrol tanks; reminds me of Monty Python's Holy Grail scene with "well, what have the Romans ever given us?".

-

Apart from Enfield and Triumph, who still lines a tank by hand...

Well not a tank and not even a bike, but Rolls Royce have one guy that does the pin stripes by hand. :)

I wouldn't mind owning a 500 Bullet in British Racing Green. A friend had one (Indian made) in the Middle East. Personally I thought the build was fine for the price and he was certainly happy with it. He did take his time breaking it in and had no issues with it that I'm aware of.

Edited by Garry

An Enfield with a sidecar, that is a huge people carrier. 15 seater in India, 30 with a roof.

I got a motorcycle licence in Madras.

This was in 1980. i had been told at the auto club i would be asked 2 questions.

they were right....

How many people can ride on a motorbike?

where does the passenger ride?

I gave them the correct answer and then asked them why the dealer when i bought my bike told me 8 could ride on it. They all burst out laughing and when they had recovered told me that because they had no answer for that i could get my licence wihout the road test.