When you lose weight, where does the lost weight go?

MaeJoMTB

I could be wrong (probably am) but I'm sure I read that you never actually lose fat cells, they just reduce in size and it's this reduction in size which results in weight loss.

You can of course also lose weight from loss of muscle mass and water weight etc

I think you are correct, you have a number of fat cells and you dont produce any more or lose any you simply inflate them when you consume food. If you consume too much they keep inflating and you get fat.

When you are losing weight you are eating less then your body needs to keep moving all day so it resorts to using the fat stored in your cells to make up the difference to give you energy.

So, it simply gets "burned" off (correct medical term of course) by your muscles.

Sounds logical but we could both be eating humble pie soon,,,

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 60 with a podgy belly and it just won't go.

I swim every day and do brisk walking in the water.

I don't understand this, because I was a swimmer and lifeguard until I was 45. Also a keen cyclist. I had a great body from 25-45.

Yes I do drink but not much beer. mainly dry red wine. What can I do?

Paul, is that your picture? It looks like an excellent impression of a gentlemans todger!

Joking aside some thing that worked for me. When I slipped a disc in my back about 5 years ago I needed physic to recover. I could not walk for about 6 to 8 weeks (part from short distances and in extreme pain). I have always been pretty big (110kg at the time) 5,10, broad build.

So the physic put me through a routine of stretching. Over time the stretching became more intense of course and frankly it hurt but I suddenly started to become much more flexible and gained a lot of leg and lower back strength. But the surpassing thing is despite my eating the same I lost a lot of weight very quickly.

The physic explained to me that although I wasn't doing cardio exercises I was stretching the muscles and creating small tears as I did so. Because the stretching was for 1 hour at a time my body had a lot of repairing to do after each session and it takes energy (calories) for my body to do this,he called it a slow burn where my body requires more energy then normal to repair itself and I carry on burning calories long after the exercises have finished.

I know Im going on a bit but if you go online and search for stretching techniques and discipline yourself to 45 minutes every other day I am willing to bet you will lose that belly,, and if you take it easy and not tear yourself apart the flexibility you gain will make you feel 10 years younger,,, no gym, no jogging, etc,, I suspect this is why people swear by yoga.

Good luck matey.

I could be wrong (probably am) but I'm sure I read that you never actually lose fat cells, they just reduce in size and it's this reduction in size which results in weight loss.

You can of course also lose weight from loss of muscle mass and water weight etc

You answered where did it come from.

The question was, where does it go.

Human fat cells store triglyceride—a type of fat in the blood—which is made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. These atoms are released through oxidation and when that happens, fat is burned off.

Scientists from the University of New South Wales in Australia did some math. When 22 pounds of fat is oxidized, 18.5 pounds leave the body through the lungs as CO2. The remaining 3.5 pounds becomes water.

The thing to remember here is that the oxygen needed to complete this metabolic process weighs nearly three times the fat being lost. So, to completely oxidize 22 pounds of human fat, 64 pounds of oxygen must be inhaled.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141216212047.htm

You answered where did it come from.

The question was, where does it go.

Human fat cells store triglyceride—a type of fat in the blood—which is made up of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. These atoms are released through oxidation and when that happens, fat is burned off.

Scientists from the University of New South Wales in Australia did some math. When 22 pounds of fat is oxidized, 18.5 pounds leave the body through the lungs as CO2. The remaining 3.5 pounds becomes water.

The thing to remember here is that the oxygen needed to complete this metabolic process weighs nearly three times the fat being lost. So, to completely oxidize 22 pounds of human fat, 64 pounds of oxygen must be inhaled.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141216212047.htm

And the bulk of it are chains -CH2-CH2-CH2-....CH3

That at the end get split in CO2 + H2O (as told before)....

The CO2 make it warmer (Global Warming) the H2O cause rain and flooding, so any global diet would be a disaster, Putin would come and force feed everyone to save the planet.

The lost weight is converted to energy and then temporarily becomes dark matter... until quantum mechanics dictates it is reconstituted as a miniature black hole manifest by the frequency and amplitude dependence of the fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) measured by WMAP sensitive to both the total matter density and the baryon density. The baryon density is also constrained by the nucleosynthesis models of the early universe. All of these methods suggest that normal baryonic matter can only account for a small fraction, about five percent, of the total matter density of fat on American cruise ship passengers. The other 95% is converted to bullshit.

it is all very simple where it goes ...... the fat fairy collects it , plants it and waits for harvest time . if you ask a question like "where does it go" then you deserve a answer like this . what I want to know is where in the world did your brain go ?

not sure where it goes, but i find a combination of healthy eating and exercise definetly looses the weight..

saying that, it does not help, that we live in a country where a good percentage of the Locals are mega slim, i would have to stop eating for about a month before i could even compete with there size...

not sure where it goes, but i find a combination of healthy eating and exercise definetly looses the weight..

saying that, it does not help, that we live in a country where a good percentage of the Locals are mega slim, i would have to stop eating for about a month before i could even compete with there size...

1 month: 30x2500/7000= about 11 kg. So if you loose 11 kg and than you are mega slim, than you aren't very overweight.

When I look at the Thai males of my age (office worker not construction worker), most are fatter than me. When I go in the shopping placa and see the young people, there are plenty super slim one, but there are also many that are super fat. And what surprise me is that they aren't a bit overweight, if they are overweight they are often super fat.

Either super slim or super fat.

1 month: 30x2500/7000= about 11 kg. So if you loose 11 kg and than you are mega slim, than you aren't very overweight.

When I look at the Thai males of my age (office worker not construction worker), most are fatter than me. When I go in the shopping placa and see the young people, there are plenty super slim one, but there are also many that are super fat. And what surprise me is that they aren't a bit overweight, if they are overweight they are often super fat.

i am 64 Kilos, and for European standards i am classed as Slim... but here, like i said, some people are just so so narrow, even in shorts, i never ever thought i looked as though i had fat legs, but compared to some Thais i am like an Elephant.. it aint fair... , but then when i see some ''Farangs'' with the Beer Gut, and the Red Face with the Booze, i do feel lucky....

never happy are we....

i am 64 Kilos, and for European standards i am classed as Slim... but here, like i said, some people are just so so narrow, even in shorts, i never ever thought i looked as though i had fat legs, but compared to some Thais i am like an Elephant.. it aint fair... , but then when i see some ''Farangs'' with the Beer Gut, and the Red Face with the Booze, i do feel lucky....

never happy are we....

But Thai men have little muscle mass and are generally very weak.

I noticed this in in my morning cycle trips up the mountain to Doi Suthep.

They're in their 20s & 30s and look slim and fit, I'm 60 and slightly overweight, and yet I race past them.

Amazing Thailand.

At 60 with a podgy belly and it just won't go.

I swim every day and do brisk walking in the water.

I don't understand this, because I was a swimmer and lifeguard until I was 45. Also a keen cyclist. I had a great body from 25-45.

Yes I do drink but not much beer. mainly dry red wine. What can I do?

Well before you could exercise and not be concened about what you ate, but now food intake is important for you.

Alcoholic drinks are a major cause of wait gain in as much as it is rarely a case of one glass a night. Alcohol also makes me hungry, I guess others too.

Try a mini fasting diet where you go without food for a few hours before or after bedtime. Then resume eating normally.

I go without food for many hours after bedtime every single day......often right up until I wake up in the morning.....can't seem to lose weight though.

I go without food for many hours after bedtime every single day......often right up until I wake up in the morning.....can't seem to lose weight though.

You're supposed to fast before exercise.

Best advice would be, sleep all night, wake up in the morning and eat nothing, 1-2 hours of extreme exercise, then lunch as your first meal.

Works for me!

never happy are we....

Here in the office in Bangkok are two that are slimmer than me. One muscular slim one without muscles. The other 5 all have a belly, some less some more. One is gaining so soon only 1 is slimmer. But as I told Bangkok office middle age. Southern Thai fishermen the statistics would look different.

never happy are we....

But Thai men have little muscle mass and are generally very weak.

I noticed this in in my morning cycle trips up the mountain to Doi Suthep.

They're in their 20s & 30s and look slim and fit, I'm 60 and slightly overweight, and yet I race past them.

Amazing Thailand.

Again: here in the office they are muscular, also the people I worked with in the south were strong, much stronger than their body size would let me estimate.

But no cardio vascular power.....walk quickly and they get complete overloaded. Maybe they try to avoid walking....motorbike or car even for 50 meter.

how much exercise for 29Kg of oxygen.

Normal respiratory rate = 20l of air/minute ..... 20% oxygen = 4l oxygen/minute.

Heavy exercise rate =120l of air/minute ...... 20% oxygen = 24l oxygen/minute.

Now as we all know, molecular weight of oxygen = 16, 22l of anything = 1 mole

So 22l of oxygen weighs 16gm .....

Heavy exercise uses 16gm oxygen/minute = 1Kg/hour

Normal breathing uses 3gm or oxygen/minute = 200gm/hour.

To lose 10Kg fat, you need to use 29Kg of oxygen so assuming 3 meals a day as normal

29+ hours of heavy exercise, or

150+ hours of not eating (6 days), or

300+ hours missing 2/3 daily food (13 days), or

450+ hours of missing 1/3 daily food (19 days).

Any errors in my calculations?

(all calculations are rough minimums)

Actually, the mass of oxygen is 32g/mol because oxygen is diatomic (O2)

So your calculated hours of exercising should be divided by 2.

(Assuming 100% utilization).

Normal respiratory rate = 20l of air/minute ..... 20% oxygen = 4l oxygen/minute.

To lose 10Kg fat, you need to use 29Kg of oxygen so assuming 3 meals a day as normal

I think you're right ...... half all my times.

But I doubt if O2 is 21% more than 5-8 % less will go out. Most air will be only moved in and out and not even get close to the exchange point. So you would breath out 13-15?

Mass and energy are related. Neither can be created or destroyed. The mass of your body is in effect stored or potential energy. You convert it by respiration into chemical and thermal energy thus adding to the state of entropy. If you were to say the weight went anywhere then it would be the atmosphere for the CO2 and thermal energy, and the toilet and atmosphere for the H2O.

30% of the energy needs must come from fat. That is food intake must include enough fat in order to satisfy the needs of the body, the brain mainly. If the fat intake is less than demanded by your constitution then this must be taken from the reserve fat you store on your body.

Normal cooking oil is fatty food, cheeses, butter fat on meat and other , all contribute to fat intake. The body needs a certain amount of fat and it utilizes the stored fat if not provided through eating. From what I read this is the commonest way the body loses fat.

Archived