Neighbor Built Rooster Shack 20 Meters Away. What's the Law?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not a thing you can do. In fact you should have realised what the outcome would be and not said anything as now he knows what his farang neighbor is like, as if anything happens to his prize rooster or hens who is he coming after ... ?

simple ....... get use to it or move ..

If his mindset is like Mexicans he will go out and buy more roosters to serenade you. By complaining you have exposed yourself as a complainer and he will feed off of that.

Thanks for the comments ( and I'm still alive ) but I am looking for a law on the books about this topic.

Is it on your property or his, is this "farmland " your living in ?..... if so forget about the "law" and get used to country living....and shut your windows and buy an aircon

Good advice.

It's often difficult to live near Thais. They and their animals can be very noisy.

That's why farang ghettos were built.

If it so difficult to live near Thais, what the heck are you doing here?

Thanks for the comments ( and I'm still alive ) but I am looking for a law on the books about this topic.

Is it on your property or his, is this "farmland " your living in ?..... if so forget about the "law" and get used to country living....and shut your windows and buy an aircon

Good advice.

It's often difficult to live near Thais. They and their animals can be very noisy.

That's why farang ghettos were built.

If it so difficult to live near Thais, what the heck are you doing here?

Thais are noisy. Disturbing others doesn't enter the equasion.

My neighbour on the right is from Norway. Never heard a peep coming from his place in years. So considerate.

The neighbour on my left is Thai, crushing aluminium cans next to my bedroom at 6AM, yelling into the phone meters away from my patio, blasting the home theatre so the neighbours 6 house down can enjoy. They are also now near deaf and yell at each other all day long...They are a noise factory.

I took a bag of donuts over and asked if they could close their door when that home theatre is unleashing it's sonic fury. No way... and now they hate me.

Well on behalf of the owner of the cockerel and hens, the idea of placing the henhouse away from the owner and friends residence is very simple, the birds forage and are fed near the hut and therefore are not foraging and shitting around the home of the owner. If they do look to forage around the home of the owner they have a 'home' across the paddy to be 'encouraged' to return to.

The placement of the Henhouse would be practical with no intention of aggravating the nearby property owners. However a considerate owner would be contemplating relocation at this point if feasible.

Buy a BIG piece of land outside the village.................Wife did 15 rai no neighbours and if any do come they will be far enough away...........until one decides he wants a big fooook off stereo

I'm foreigner, I cannot own land, I cannot afford to buy land and I have no interest in circumventing Thai laws. Even if I could, and did, that does not answer my query.

What's the law?

Laws protecting people are for Thais. Farang not concerned.

You're lucky, our roo goes off at about 4.45.

Everyone around has chooks, guineas and/or geese so nobody to complain, they don't complain about me mowing the lawn at 6AM either (I do wait until I hear another small engine fire up somewhere).

In reality, not a lot you can do, keeping chickens is a fact of life in rural Thailand, roosters are a fact of life in keeping chickens, cock a doodle do is what roosters do.

Believe me, you will get used to them and the day he doesn't go off you will wake up.

If your neighbour starts selling eggs, buy them, your taste buds will love you forever tongue.png

Or you could move.

Nonsense Im afraid about getting used to it. You can not get used to noise

As far as I know there is no law about this. Property owners can do what they want on their property except have the rainwater from their roof fall directly into the neighbours property. Donot expect anything to happen to change this. Thais have lived like this for centuries. They arenot going to change because some foreigner moves in and wants laws made to protect his lifestyle. you knew it was rural Thailand when you bought and built . It is still rural Thailand and you need to change not them. Either you werenot aware of the reality or you feel you want to live in Thailand with too many laws same as the country you came from. This isnot a nanny state.

My neighbours chickens come in my yard I have to chase them out before the dog gets them. In rural Thailand you have to live and let live..

also most Thais are up at 4 am so noise after that means nothing to them.

I think you will find you are wrong on this one, people cannot do what they want on their own property. A lot of even small Moo Baans have restrictions on keeping things like pigs within the village limits. Both Moo Baans either side of me bans the keeping of pigs within the village - However, whether it is enforced or not is a different matter. You will also find that your land is open to locals gathering grass, plants etc. - it is a right! You also will find that you have to ensure that anyone (Even trespassing) on your property has freedom to cross it - i.e. you cannot dig a pit with spikes in it and cover it over with grass or something to catch trespassers.

Sadly, I do not know the laws regarding chickens but I would be likely to soak some delicious grains in something like Chaindrite and scatter it liberally. (are there foxes in Thailand? I'd buy Brer Fox and assist him in getting in the pen.)

Good luck, you will never get used to those damn things as they go off randomly, they are a damn nuisance.

If you have ever stayed in Thailand a while in a hut or house in the Jungle or surrounded with a lot of greenery and water ponds etc... you will soon realize that the nightly sounds of the woods in Thailand is ear shattering, There are the frogs, lizards, night birds, all the bugs, a westerner will certainly not be able to sleep the first few days.

One have to consider this when living in Thailand, a rooster is nothing compared to the sound of the woods. Many Thais are so used to the constant ear shattering nightly noise they can sleep out a heavy metal rock concert. This is the key to why you can see Thais sleep almost in any environment.

Try to get used to it as a first strategy.

What I mean is, the thought of the noise bothering anybody would not even enter the mind of a Thai, being so used and "unbothered" by noise themselves.

Edited by AlQaholic

If you really feel you MUST complain, the proper way is to go to the phooyai ban, not the kamnan or the TAO/PAO. If he feels your complaint might be justified he will then take it up with your neighbour. If you now start approaching your neighbour directly then you become the one who is causing a problem, not your neighbour. That's the way it's done. Having said that, there are chickens and roosters galore wandering around this village, and through our garden, crowing and clucking at all hours. You'll get used to it. Better than having a neighbour with a humungus great stereo who wants everyone to know it at 6am.

I have just this moment come into the house having spent most of the day building a chicken coup for 50 chicks. It abutts my neighbours wall. There will be no problem whatsoever, Most people in my locality have a chicken or 2.

This is Thailand. i came here to embrace Thai ways. I have stayed, but always have the freedom to move elsewhere as does everyone.

Are there laws re chickens and location?. Maybe, but unlikely. And even if there were, it is unlikely they would ever be enforced. A few hundred baht settles legal problems.

It could be worse. You could live on a busy road, which has been turned into a dual carriage way in recent times, or has been found to be an excellent shortcut. Just imagine 24 hour traffic and the kids racing their motorbikes during the night.

If I were you and adopting the stance you have taken i would be rather worried. Thais can be very nasty when things dont go their way. Take great care.

You're lucky, our roo goes off at about 4.45.

Everyone around has chooks, guineas and/or geese so nobody to complain, they don't complain about me mowing the lawn at 6AM either (I do wait until I hear another small engine fire up somewhere).

In reality, not a lot you can do, keeping chickens is a fact of life in rural Thailand, roosters are a fact of life in keeping chickens, cock a doodle do is what roosters do.

Believe me, you will get used to them and the day he doesn't go off you will wake up.

If your neighbour starts selling eggs, buy them, your taste buds will love you forever :P

Or you could move.

You Will Never Ever get used to them, go to Boots or DIY and get some earplugs.

Interesting that several members state 'you'll never get used to it', my experience is very different.

We used to live in Corsham, Wiltshire, right at the end of the Box Tunnel (by Brunel). When we first moved in we were constantly awakened when an Intercity 125 came hammering out of the tunnel accelerating up the hill, the first burst of noise was followed shortly after by a second (the 125 had an engine at each end).

After a few months we stopped waking up when the trains passed, indeed we awoke when there were none (rail strike).

If you really feel you MUST complain, the proper way is to go to the phooyai ban, not the kamnan or the TAO/PAO. If he feels your complaint might be justified he will then take it up with your neighbour. If you now start approaching your neighbour directly then you become the one who is causing a problem, not your neighbour. That's the way it's done. Having said that, there are chickens and roosters galore wandering around this village, and through our garden, crowing and clucking at all hours. You'll get used to it. Better than having a neighbour with a humungus great stereo who wants everyone to know it at 6am.

I think this is the best answer to your problem. Phooyai Ban sorts things out.

not a thing you can do. In fact you should have realised what the outcome would be and not said anything as now he knows what his farang neighbor is like, as if anything happens to his prize rooster or hens who is he coming after ... ?

Reason #733 never to buy property in Thailand.

"Not everyone has a Thai wife ( or even wants one ) yet I have gotten fake doctors charged, noxious fires put out, an impromptu sawmill shut down, ( and neighbors criminally charged for processing protected trees.) Dogs shut up, rooster fights stopped and have lived through all."

People with Dysthymia are often thought of as being overly critical, constantly complaining.

Perhaps its you that needs help.

Not true. The answer to this problem lies in the law of nature and not Thai law.

Be a falconer. Those roosters will shut their traps...

can you raise foxes or raccoons in Thailand ? Does Thailand have animal equivalents. Can you rig up a speaker system to mimi the sound of hawks or eagles or such ?

If you have ever stayed in Thailand a while in a hut or house in the Jungle or surrounded with a lot of greenery and water ponds etc... you will soon realize that the nightly sounds of the woods in Thailand is ear shattering, There are the frogs, lizards, night birds, all the bugs, a westerner will certainly not be able to sleep the first few days.

One have to consider this when living in Thailand, a rooster is nothing compared to the sound of the woods. Many Thais are so used to the constant ear shattering nightly noise they can sleep out a heavy metal rock concert. This is the key to why you can see Thais sleep almost in any environment.

Try to get used to it as a first strategy.

What I mean is, the thought of the noise bothering anybody would not even enter the mind of a Thai, being so used and "unbothered" by noise themselves.

This is a good reply, I'm one of the lightest sleepers around and when we built our house and first moved in I struggled to sleep because of the noise from chickens and dogs. The chickens are from 3 houses directly behind my bedroom where they breed fighting cocks free range and they are noisy all the way through the night and their families have lived in the area from long before foreigners moved here. At first I struggled even with ear plugs to sleep but as a few people have pointed you do get used to it. At the moment because of the rains the most disturbing things are toads and crickets, most of the local dogs were young when we moved in but now seem calmer as they've got older but obviously if something sets them off the whole neighbourhood erupts in barks or howls. Most of the people in our part of the village are friendly and most of them are in bed early as they all seem to be getting ready for work from about 4am and my wife gifted some fighting cocks from her home to the people behind us after a visit home. We eat at a beach restaurant run by a daughter of one of the women living behind us and get treated very well whenever we spend the afternoon with our dogs at their restaurant so it is give and take from all parties.

Not true. The answer to this problem lies in the law of nature and not Thai law.

Be a falconer. Those roosters will shut their traps...

can you raise foxes or raccoons in Thailand ? Does Thailand have animal equivalents. Can you rig up a speaker system to mimi the sound of hawks or eagles or such ?

Pack of soi dogs is the equivalent:)

"What's the law?"

If you insist on knowing "the law" I strongly suggest you consult a legal professional, instead of entering into pointless argument.

Questions could be asked here but I'm not sure if this link is allowed.

If it breaks the rules, please delete it Charlie.

http://www.thailandpropertydoctor.com/doctor/

Interesting that several members state 'you'll never get used to it', my experience is very different.

We used to live in Corsham, Wiltshire, right at the end of the Box Tunnel (by Brunel). When we first moved in we were constantly awakened when an Intercity 125 came hammering out of the tunnel accelerating up the hill, the first burst of noise was followed shortly after by a second (the 125 had an engine at each end).

After a few months we stopped waking up when the trains passed, indeed we awoke when there were none (rail strike).

It is possible that the posters who suggest he will never get used to it are in fact right.

It sounds like he does not want to try to get used to it.

He wants to impose rules/laws instead.

I thank goodness that he is not a neighbour of mine, I couldn't stand the sound of his whining!

As a person who spends half the year in Spain and the other half in Thailand, I am amazed at how similar these two countries are

regarding noise, litter and general consideration for others etc.

We live in a walled and gated Moo Ban in Thailand.

Next to the wall is a frozen fish factory.....

EDIT

Forgot to mention the Wat 600m away.

When the wind is in the right direction we can easily hear their morning devotions.

A lovely sound, (but I will admit that I'm glad we do not live closer).

Edited by laislica

Sorry but only read page 1. We had our house built a year ago and now on the plot next door they have fighting chickens. I asked the wife if we/I could complain about the 'kin noise at 5am. She said it is the local plod that owns and take bets on the outcome of all the 'kin noise they make. But now after after a year I am used to the noise. Better than blasted karaoke at least.

I have neighbors that had 2 dogs that would bark at 5:30am every morning when they left for work.After sending over some polite notes and trying to discuss it civilized to no avail, what I did was at 8pm when they went to bed I cranked up my stereo with a12 hour youtube video of dogs barking and then would go out for dinner for a few hours. It didn't take them long to get the point. The dogs are now gone and i sleep much better.

Edited by ldiablo