Tourist Visa, Proof of Residency

Hi,

I attempted to apply for a 30 day extension on my 60 day Tourist Visa which expires tomorrow. They said I needed proof of where I'm staying here. I'm staying in a friend's apartment, so I don't pay rent, so I don't have any proof or documentation. And the owner of the apartment is out of the country, so i cannot get him to draft up a letter saying I'm staying there.

Suggestions?

And also, they gave me a form to fill out called, NOTIFICATION FORM FOR HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED.

Do I need to get the owner of the condo to fill out this form? If so, and this impossible for me to do by tomorrow, would it just be easier in my situation, to book a hotel for tomorrow when I go back to immigration to apply for the extension, and have the hotel fill out the required form?

Thanks!

At this time last year, to renew my retirement extention it was necessary for my wife to complete a statement that I was residing on her property. Blue book and ID cards were produced in support.

Today, I went to renew again only to discover that my registered address in the computer had been changed to Buhmrungrad Hospital Bangkok because I stayed there for one night in July this year. The address was changed by the hospital on my admittance without my knowledge. Since that date I've made one 90 day report and one re-entry via Suvanaboom. Now I must go through the registration procedure again and probably lose another day of my dwindling life. How bizzare is that when a hospital can make the change, presumably on-line but I must go throough the paper chase again.

• Like 2

It seems checking into a hotel might be the best option.

They should do the extension without a form since a hotel should be doing it online. That is why they make copy of your passport when you check in.

I spoke to the administration of the condo I'm staying at and they took a copy of my passport, and says they'll register me with immigration or whoever and claim that I just arrived yesterday. Then they'll give me some form which they fill out, which they say is in lieu of the form immigration gave me.

So hopefully this satisfies immigration as tomorrow is when my visa expires.

At this time last year, to renew my retirement extention it was necessary for my wife to complete a statement that I was residing on her property. Blue book and ID cards were produced in support.

Today, I went to renew again only to discover that my registered address in the computer had been changed to Buhmrungrad Hospital Bangkok because I stayed there for one night in July this year. The address was changed by the hospital on my admittance without my knowledge. Since that date I've made one 90 day report and one re-entry via Suvanaboom. Now I must go through the registration procedure again and probably lose another day of my dwindling life. How bizzare is that when a hospital can make the change, presumably on-line but I must go throough the paper chase again.

The hospital reported your presence in accordance with Thai law, so no need to notify you- same as checking into an hotel.

When you returned home, your wife should have filed the requisite form with immigration/ police as required, thus returning your address to your residence.

• Like 2

The hospital reported your presence in accordance with Thai law, so no need to notify you- same as checking into an hotel.

When you returned home, your wife should have filed the requisite form with immigration/ police as required, thus returning your address to your residence.

So I've been in Thailand for over a year, using Tourist Visas. I've never before given my passport to anyone to register... I was unaware of this requirement. And I've never stayed in any hotels..

Will I get in trouble or fined?

So I've been in Thailand for over a year, using Tourist Visas. I've never before given my passport to anyone to register... I was unaware of this requirement. And I've never stayed in any hotels..

Where have you been staying ?

The person providing your accommodation could be fined.

Where have you been staying ?

The person providing your accommodation could be fined.

I'm staying in a condo owned by my family. I suspect my family also wasn't aware of this requirement. And the administration of the condo, wouldn't even have known I've been staying here.

Should I just be honest and plead ignorance?

I've never had any problems previously.. I've just written the address where I've been staying on the extension application. But this time, they are wanting me to fill out more documentation as to where I'm living.

Pleading ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

Have the condo management resolve the issue.

OK, Sounds like a huge hassle. Perhaps easier to just fly out of the country.. and get a new tourist visa.

Then upon my return, submit my passport to my condo.

• Like 1

Could you tell which immigration office this happened?

Thanks

Pattaya.

I've done the extension multiple times in Bangkok, and I'd just write down my address and nobody said anything.

But in Pattaya there is some form they gave me which I need to have filled out, to prove where I live.. and the form doesn't make sense to me.

that mean all time u go at the hotel they change adress for you ? because in novem i need to go chiang mai , krabi and bangkok but my adress is in chiang mai

Correct. Every time an hotel complies with the law and registers your address it goes on the computer, and that won't be changed till you send in a new and different address using the form for the purpose.

I suspect that they have only recently started using the computer for such, and so it was possible to get away with not registering every change of address in the past. When I lived in the village the police didn't know about the form ( neither did I ) and just wrote my address in their big book.

I must have been lucky last time I did the extension, as my address in the computer would have been different from the address I gave.

Thanks

Pattaya.

I've done the extension multiple times in Bangkok, and I'd just write down my address and nobody said anything.

But in Pattaya there is some form they gave me which I need to have filled out, to prove where I live.. and the form doesn't make sense to me.

The form is not your responsibility. That lies with the owner of wherever you are living.

Correct. Every time an hotel complies with the law and registers your address it goes on the computer, and that won't be changed till you send in a new and different address using the form for the purpose.

When I asked the Immigration officer about this matter last year, she told me, my wife does not need to register me again every time because I was registered with Mukdahan Immigration already.

When I did my "90 days" report 2 weeks ago, the officer (not the same one as last year) realized that my latest registration had been done by a hotel in Khon Kaen, where I stayed for a night some months ago. He asked me politely: "Have you been to Khon Kaen recently?". "Yes", I replied. "O.k." he said, smiled and that was it. He did NOT ask for a new registration at my wife's house.

• Like 1

Similar happened to me. I stayed one night at a little g.h. months ago, and somehow that address got entangled in my data stream. I'm single, so I don't have a Thai wife to go and jump through hoops on my behalf. Getting annual extensions on my type-O non-Imm (I'm over 49, retired) visa has just been a minor hassle and expense during the previous 10 years here. This time it's become a major hassle. I'm getting the visa I want, but the bureaucratic morass I've had to wade through is ridiculous on several levels. Here's just one: I went and got the letter from my bank (3rd time for this one renewal, because of time-outs on the 7 day requirement). An hour later, I get to Imm Office. they say my bankbook wasn't updated at the same time. I say "here's my letter from the bank, it's an hour old." Of course Imm doesn't budge. So I go back to the bank. 3 bank managers tell me (like a Greek chorus) that my bank book was updated when I came in an hour earlier. I'm exasperated. The bank decide to print me a new passbook.

As crazy as that was, it's wasn't the nuttiest episode of my recent visa renewal process. I could elaborate, but it would take too much text. In sum: good luck to all my farang brethren trying to renew visas. the processes just got increasingly nutzoid since the Erawan bombing (Bkk generals are mega paranoid and are determined to make life harder for farang residents). You may have it easy, or it may be difficult (like mine), but good luck.

TBL, you're apprised of the visa laws, but that doesn't mean the laws aren't screwy to the 10th degree. A wife having to formally register her husband as residing in their house?!? ....and then re-register each time he comes back from staying at a hotel for a night. I wonder if N.Korea is as draconian.

• Like 2

On the subject oh hotels etc. reporting a foreigner in residence - in my 6 years here, I've NEVER been asked for my passport or any other ID when staying at a hotel. I might make a booking online but, at hotel reception, registration is always in my wife's name since she completes the forms and they don't ever seem to want to get involved with my presence - officially I don't exist as far as they're concerned and long may it stay that way. Most recent hotel stay was last week.

Maybe it's the same with multiple Thai guests - only the person registering is of any interest to them.

One advantage of this is that my registered address doesn't get altered simply because I stay away from home for a couple of nights.

No doubt there are potential problems with this scenario but, since it's the hotel's obligation to inform of foreign residents, I won't worry about it too much and my TM30 is always up-to-date at the local copshop.

• Like 2

OK, Sounds like a huge hassle. Perhaps easier to just fly out of the country.. and get a new tourist visa.

More money than sense.

that mean all time u go at the hotel they change adress for you ? because in novem i need to go chiang mai , krabi and bangkok but my adress is in chiang mai

I suspect that they have only recently started using the computer for such, and so it was possible to get away with not registering every change of address in the past. When I lived in the village the police didn't know about the form ( neither did I ) and just wrote my address in their big book.

I must have been lucky last time I did the extension, as my address in the computer would have been different from the address I gave.

When i do my 90 day report,they just turn the screen toward me and say"same address,same phone number",yes and yes,see ya in 3 months.

what happens if you are the condo owner and have a yellow tabian bahn book ? Do you register yourself ? I've never been asked to prove address before even after staying in a hotel here but my 90 days is coming up

and everytime I go to stay in a hotel here I have to re-register myself ?

Logic would say I don't have to register myself but take my tabien bahn book with ... but :-)

• Like 1

On the subject oh hotels etc. reporting a foreigner in residence - in my 6 years here, I've NEVER been asked for my passport or any other ID when staying at a hotel. I might make a booking online but, at hotel reception, registration is always in my wife's name since she completes the forms and they don't ever seem to want to get involved with my presence - officially I don't exist as far as they're concerned and long may it stay that way. Most recent hotel stay was last week.

Maybe it's the same with multiple Thai guests - only the person registering is of any interest to them.

One advantage of this is that my registered address doesn't get altered simply because I stay away from home for a couple of nights.

No doubt there are potential problems with this scenario but, since it's the hotel's obligation to inform of foreign residents, I won't worry about it too much and my TM30 is always up-to-date at the local copshop.

I've always been asked for my passport in every hotels, even thought its my wife completing the forms too. (just saying)

what happens if you are the condo owner and have a yellow tabian bahn book ? Do you register yourself ? I've never been asked to prove address before even after staying in a hotel here but my 90 days is coming up

Logic would say I don't have to register myself but take my tabien bahn book with ... but :-)

Yes you can complete and submit the TM30 yourself.

I think you will find that is the responsibility of the owner of the condo NOT the management of the Condo as the owner is the one who rented you the room.

• Like 1

Yes you can complete and submit the TM30 yourself.

easier said than done... you seen the form ? :-)

what goes in for relationship on page 2 and do you then have to lie to say the date as it's your first time of doing it .... all seems quite un necessary , and I just present this to my local Immigration when I do my 90 days or before as it has to be registered. Then if I go away for a couple of days to say Phuket, when I return I have to go straight back to Immigration within 24 hours and register again ? to register myself as living in my condo ?? :-)

Thanks

Happened in korat too. A friend of mine went to extend his tourist visa and it was refused unless she came back with the owner himself, along with proof of ownership etc. He was staying in a condo Edited by Jay1
  • Like 1

So I've been in Thailand for over a year, using Tourist Visas. I've never before given my passport to anyone to register... I was unaware of this requirement. And I've never stayed in any hotels.. Will I get in trouble or fined?

It would not be your fine - it would be the property-owner's fine. But if the condo-information you present shows you have been there since yesterday, I would not volunteer any information about what transpired before that date. I also would not lie, if asked a direct question about it.

I would show up, hand them all the documents, not say a word about your last visit, and maintain a relaxed and pleasant facial expression and tone of voice ... or you could go for that unplanned visa run.