installing air conditioner myself

fry30

By the time you buy a bottle of gas and the apparatus required I think I would get someone to do it. It ain't going to cost fortunes. Plus they will guarantee their fixture.

and sadly this is what i dont like, theyll leave your house walls , ceiling, floor , etc covered in black handprints, hit the ceilings with there ladders also door frames doors etc............Ive found 99% of workmen clumsy careless, reckless and using bodges at every possible step also dont forget many like to smoke....I keep workmen well away, dont forget any lunchbreak will be spent with them lying on your house path surround with their head up your walls also.....................I used to be a painter and they really p**S me off here.

Not my experience here in deepest Isaan.

Lucky you

Inzman is correct.

New AC's come pre vacuumed and loaded with Freeon. You connect the pipes and open the valves on the outside unit.

Easy enough to fit but you need the following tools.

1. Electric drill

2. Hole saw big enough to cut a 2" hole in the wall

3. Assorted sized masonry drill bits

4. Screwdriver

5. Step ladders

6. Length of 3 core 2.5mm cable

7. Socket set or spanner set. Wrench set if your American

8. Allen key to open the valves or Hex keys if your American

How do I know? I used to fit them when I worked in Ethiopia.

My inverter aircons came preloaded, as came the unit that Daikin themselves replaced under warranty, and I recall that with each installation the tubes needed to be vacuum sucked before the gas was released from the compressor.

Naa, not possible. The valves and connectors are on the outside unit.

The vacuum sucking happens at the valves of the outside unit.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?108650-ac-installed-without-pulling-a-vacuum&p=1148133#post1148133

Originally posted by jlg/austin

we had new ac systems installed at 70 unit apartment complex. 15 months later we have 7 compressors go out, unfortunately its 3 months after the labor warranty ran out.What happens to the comp.when you don't pull a vacuum and is this a fluke or should I expect more comp.to go out?

More lost compressors will follow. A system evacuation at the time of installation is essential. Evacuation serves two functions.

1) It removes the air (non-condensibles) from the system. Air contains oxygen which serves to chemically react with the refrigerant and oil which is constantly heated and cooled as well as subjected to high and then low pressures in the system. The heat and pressure are enough to make a chemist jealous!

2) An evacuation also removes water vapor from the system. The water vapor helps ensure the chemical breakdown as per number 1 above.

All HVAC manufacturers require that a 500 micron evacuation be performed on their equipment. It is in their installation instructions and taught by all factory instructors.

If you have an R-22 system the air and moisture produces hydrochloric and hydroflouric acids. Two of the most potent acids possible.

Norm

Expect more. I guess you now know what happens.

Moisture is the most harmful enemy of the air conditioning system. If there is any moisture is in the system, it will combine with the refrigerant to form hydrochloric acid which is extremely corrosive to metal components and will eventually affect the sealing surfaces, components and joints resulting in internal or external leaks. Almost all of the moisture is removed by evaculation with a vacuum pump.

The system becomes contaminated and the mechanisms in place to remove some of the contamination gets overloaded. You want no water, no air, no bugs, no metal filings, no crusty silver soldered connections in the inside of the pipe and for purists no fingerprints. It takes forever to pump down a fingerprint in a high vacuum chamber. Long life and good performance requires squeeky clean cleanliness.

Edited by TheCruncher

By the time you buy a bottle of gas and the apparatus required I think I would get someone to do it. It ain't going to cost fortunes. Plus they will guarantee their fixture.

and sadly this is what i dont like, theyll leave your house walls , ceiling, floor , etc covered in black handprints, hit the ceilings with there ladders also door frames doors etc............Ive found 99% of workmen clumsy careless, reckless and using bodges at every possible step also dont forget many like to smoke....I keep workmen well away, dont forget any lunchbreak will be spent with them lying on your house path surround with their head up your walls also.....................I used to be a painter and they really p**S me off here.

That's precisely why I want to do as much as possible things myself.

I know I won't be saving much on the cost of the work itself, but I won't need to repair everything around the work area once it's done.

It's even not guaranty that they will do the job properly.

Inzman is correct.

New AC's come pre vacuumed and loaded with Freeon. You connect the pipes and open the valves on the outside unit.

Easy enough to fit but you need the following tools.

1. Electric drill

2. Hole saw big enough to cut a 2" hole in the wall

3. Assorted sized masonry drill bits

4. Screwdriver

5. Step ladders

6. Length of 3 core 2.5mm cable

7. Socket set or spanner set. Wrench set if your American

8. Allen key to open the valves or Hex keys if your American

How do I know? I used to fit them when I worked in Ethiopia.

My inverter aircons came preloaded, as came the unit that Daikin themselves replaced under warranty, and I recall that with each installation the tubes needed to be vacuum sucked before the gas was released from the compressor.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?108650-ac-installed-without-pulling-a-vacuum&p=1148133#post1148133

we had new ac systems installed at 70 unit apartment complex. 15 months later we have 7 compressors go out, unfortunately its 3 months after the labor warranty ran out.What happens to the comp.when you don't pull a vacuum and is this a fluke or should I expect more comp.to go out?

More lost compressors will follow. A system evacuation at the time of installation is essential. Evacuation serves two functions.

1) It removes the air (non-condensibles) from the system. Air contains oxygen which serves to chemically react with the refrigerant and oil which is constantly heated and cooled as well as subjected to high and then low pressures in the system. The heat and pressure are enough to make a chemist jealous!

2) An evacuation also removes water vapor from the system. The water vapor helps ensure the chemical breakdown as per number 1 above.

All HVAC manufacturers require that a 500 micron evacuation be performed on their equipment. It is in their installation instructions and taught by all factory instructors.

If you have an R-22 system the air and moisture produces hydrochloric and hydroflouric acids. Two of the most potent acids possible.

Norm

Moisture is the most harmful enemy of the air conditioning system. If there is any moisture is in the system, it will combine with the refrigerant to form hydrochloric acid which is extremely corrosive to metal components and will eventually affect the sealing surfaces, components and joints resulting in internal or external leaks. Almost all of the moisture is removed by evaculation with a vacuum pump.

The system becomes contaminated and the mechanisms in place to remove some of the contamination gets overloaded. You want no water, no air, no bugs, no metal filings, no crusty silver soldered connections in the inside of the pipe and for purists no fingerprints. It takes forever to pump down a fingerprint in a high vacuum chamber. Long life and good performance requires squeeky clean cleanliness.

oh dear from what Ive seen squeaky clean has never been present

Norm

So you can look inside a meters long 5/8" tube?

But I agree that many times installations are messed up, and that explains why so many aircons aren't functioning as required.

cleanliness.

So you can look inside a meters long 5/8" tube?

But I agree that many times installations are messed up, and that explains why so many aircons aren't functioning as required.

Im still waiting to meet a clean tidy worker in Thailand................only been here 9 years though

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a few air conditioning units installed in a couple of homes by the staff of Buriram Supply. The owner speaks English, and he has sent good staff to the small town I live in near Buriram. I've also had air conditioning installed by Power Buy for a village home, but I did not see the work in progress. I am aware that some stores both chain stores and family owned stores, take the effort to have repair and installation staff trained by manufacturers. Experts is a strong word, but I'll go on record as stating some techs, even up country, are well worth the money paid. No need to have many pipes exposed if you have the air conditioning team place the pipes and cables inside the AAC Hebel wall blocks PRIOR to rendering. No need to pay for the plastic protective cover on the exposed pipes and wires, if the air conditioning is hidden i the Hebel blocks.

post-20604-0-63259200-1447855752_thumb.j

post-20604-0-71417000-1447855939_thumb.j

look like an easy and very profitable job in Thailand, 2000 bahts in 2h, I'm making a bit more in a full day. Time for a career re-conversion

You will find that the 2000 Baht involves at least 3 people, transportation, and their tools.

And no they don't install an aircon, including pulling the wires and mounting the tubes, in 2 hours.

look like an easy and very profitable job in Thailand, 2000 bahts in 2h, I'm making a bit more in a full day. Time for a career re-conversion

You will find that the 2000 Baht involves at least 3 people, transportation, and their tools.

And no they don't install an aircon, including pulling the wires and mounting the tubes, in 2 hours.

Indeed, 5 persons came, however it took 2 hours only, I wasn't there but it seems they did a correct job. Still I'm planning to learn how to do it myself for the next AC and to change the gel when necessary.