US soldier dies in hostage-rescue operation in Iraq

webfact

US soldier dies in hostage-rescue operation in Iraq

606x341_315691.jpg

HAWIJA: -- The US military says an American soldier has died following an operation to rescue hostages near Hawija, in northern Iraq.

A special operations team reportedly rescued around 69 people who were being held captive by the self-styled Islamic State, or ISIL.

The soldier becomes the first American to be killed in ground combat with the militant group.

The mission was a joint operation with Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga forces, aimed at rescuing hostages from an ISIL prison.

According to Reuters, the Kurdistan region’s security council reports an initial evaluation shows no Kurds were among those freed.

More than 20 ISIL militants were killed and six detained during the raid.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-23

rip.

Russians could have done better. now they(russians) are fixing this mess that could have been fixed years ago.

I don't understand why we pay so much in tax and we do nothing. Russia is conducting now 7 times more missions than the USA.

God bless Russia

Edited by VIPinthailand

rip.

Russians could have done better. now they(russians) are fixing this mess that could have been fixed years ago.

I don't understand why we pay so much in tax and we do nothing. Russia is conducting now 7 times more missions than the USA.

God bless Russia

Russia would have just carpet bombed the whole place and trumpeted killing 26+ IS terrorists.

Edited by Chicog

rip.

God bless Russia

Thank you so much for pointing out that this young man could have lived if the Russians had indiscriminately carpet bombed the place.

Im sure his parents will be heartened by your message in their time of grief, albeit mixed with pride for their heroic son.

Do you have any respect?

God bless Russia??

Do you know Russia and its people??

I lived there and had a Russian wife, believe me, Bless Russia, whoever your imaginary creator is, is inappropriate, to say the least.

U.S. Commandos Made Last-Minute Decision to Fight in Hostage Raid

American commandos made a last-minute decision to jump into a firefight between Kurdish special forces and Islamic State fighters during a raid in northern Iraq that freed dozens of hostages but left one American dead.

The 30 American special operators — thought to be from the U.S. Army’s Delta Force — were only supposed to be operating in support of Kurdish forces near the town of Hawijah, south of Kirkuk, on Thursday morning, but “in the heat of combat they saw their friends taking some casualties” so they “made a decision to go in and assist,” a U.S. military official told Foreign Policy. In the ensuing firefight, one American service member was killed, the first U.S. combat death in Iraq since 2011.

The raid kicked off after midnight on Thursday after U.S. officials saw intelligence indicating that mass graves had been dug at the site and that the prisoners were going to be executed en masse at dawn.

American and Kurdish commandos landed at the walled compound aboard helicopters flown by the U.S. Army’s elite 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, known as “Night Stalkers,” after which the Americans took up concealed positions behind a wall to observe the Kurdish assault.

More here - Yahoo.com

If you accept the casualty figures stated I would observe that a 20:1 ratio of Isis terrorists to special forces personnel is in line with what I'd expect. It does demonstrate what could be done to ISIS if the political will were there.

I would like to see a politician leading the next assault, but, I wont hold my breath waiting.

If you accept the casualty figures stated I would observe that a 20:1 ratio of Isis terrorists to special forces personnel is in line with what I'd expect. It does demonstrate what could be done to ISIS if the political will were there.

Sorry to disappoint your expectations, but the Kurds, who were the main force of attackers, suffered casualties.

Also, your kill ratio does not take into account weaponry or force of numbers. Nor does it take into account that this was a midnight surprise attack.

Edited by Seastallion

rip.

God bless Russia

Really? And who is it the Russian missions are being conducted against? Do you think the Russians have no interest in the area and only the Americans do? whistling.gif

rip.

God bless Russia

...cut down on your meds. plz. crazy.gif

you are confused on your grid coordinates. This was in Iraq.

Edited by slipperylobster

rip.

God bless Russia

blink.png

rip.

God bless Russia

Utter nonsense.