Police road bloke, third road (max @ xcyte)

rws85

I don't know how it is in Pattaya, but when I got my ticket in BKK I gave it to one of the scooter taxi guys that I use regularly. He came back about 30 minutes later with my DL and a receipt for the 400 baht.

I waited for him in a chaise lounge at the apartment swimming pool. It really wasn't too bad... Just a little warm until I moved the chaise into the shade. I'll probably do that sooner next time.

Excellent.

I will now stand by for the "Motorbike Taxi Stole My Identity" thread.

I've said Hi to the guy every day for 4+ years, I have his name and scooter license number and his vest patch number, and I put my life in his hands every time I ride on his scooter.

Trusting him with my (easy to replace and good for virtually nothing except driving) Thai DL didn't seem like a big risk.

Edited by impulse

was this at 2nd and Klang, there's a sign saying u cannot, they make a ton of money that intersection

Pattaya Tai and Klang, coming from Sukhumvit and turning left on 3rd.

I believe its a fairly new sign.

No been there long time now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does it make any difference if its new or old,

you need to look at the signs as you drive or ride. wai2.gif

they are stopping more thais than farangs

You know that how? I don't think many of us are sitting there and counting numbers, but at the Soi 9 police station the foreigners paying fines outnumbered Thais 10 to 1. Perhaps they go to a different police station to pay their fines, or most end up being let off with a warning, giving people like you the impression foreigners aren't being singled out. I only base my assessment on the people I see at the Soi 9 police station paying fines.

Understand, when replying, that I'm referring to a few select police road checks fairly close to the Soi 9 police station. I was stopped at another check point the day before and sent on my way.

Also it has been reported many times that you should have the green book (or at least a copy) when out on the bike. I have been stopped a number of times and politely waved on after producing said documents.

I didn't read these many reports you've read here, but I have never, in 10 years, been asked for my green book or copy thereof.

I have always had a copy of it under my seat, but never been asked to show it. A flash of the registration sticker and insurance has always been enough.

they are stopping more thais than farangs

You know that how? I don't think many of us are sitting there and counting numbers, but at the Soi 9 police station the foreigners paying fines outnumbered Thais 10 to 1. Perhaps they go to a different police station to pay their fines, or most end up being let off with a warning, giving people like you the impression foreigners aren't being singled out. I only base my assessment on the people I see at the Soi 9 police station paying fines.

Understand, when replying, that I'm referring to a few select police road checks fairly close to the Soi 9 police station. I was stopped at another check point the day before and sent on my way.

If you want to know why there are more foreigners than Thais paying the fines at the police station, ask them to have a look at that wall of small lockers behind the counter.

There are thousands of Thai driver licenses in there, all from people who had their license taken and yet have failed to come pay the fine, and i doubt those are from foreigners.

If you want to know why there are more foreigners than Thais paying the fines at the police station, ask them to have a look at that wall of small lockers behind the counter.

There are thousands of Thai driver licenses in there, all from people who had their license taken and yet have failed to come pay the fine, and i doubt those are from foreigners.

If the fine hasn't been paid, the licence is kept in one of those side rooms. I know this because I had to go there to collect mine after a lengthy non-payment period. I haven't paid my fine yet from 3 days ago, so I'll find out when I go to pay next week.

More Thai but plenty of foreign licences as well, I know cause I had to spit through hundreds of them cause I lost mine and went there to see if anyone found it and delivered it at the police station or something. Later on a bar employee found it in the toilet sewer as the toilet didn't flush properly anymore, must've fallen out of my pocket or something lol.

I was pulled over for a left turn on red. Tried to bribe the cop but nooooooo, had to go to the police station. Standing room only, place packed with tourists paying fines.

A few Thais too but a majority, farang.

The police office staff were churning out receipts about every 3 minutes. Maybe 10,000Bt an hour being collected.

Pretty good racket. Rent motorbikes to unlicensed, uninsured tourists, then pounce on them when they turn the first corner.

I believe the Soi 9 Police Station is in the top 5 places visited by tourists.

Thought it was legal to do a left turn on a red.

papa saw sign:

Left turn

Waiting light

Well I was 'waiting light '

so did 'left turn.'

400baht fine.

Something lost in translation I guess.

Edited by papa al

I was pulled over for a left turn on red. Tried to bribe the cop but nooooooo, had to go to the police station. Standing room only, place packed with tourists paying fines.

The police office staff were churning out receipts about every 3 minutes. Maybe 10,000Bt an hour being collected.

Pretty good racket. Rent motorbikes to unlicensed, uninsured tourists, then pounce on them when they turn the first corner.

papa saw sign:

Left turn

Waiting light

so did 'left turn.'

400baht fine.

I think that sign is fairly new because I recall a couple years ago, I was in my friends car and he stopped here waiting for the light.

The cop actually came out of that police box,tapped on the window and instructed him to turn left on red as we were holding up traffic turning left.

papa saw sign:

Left turn

Waiting light

so did 'left turn.'

400baht fine.

I think that sign is fairly new because I recall a couple years ago, I was in my friends car and he stopped here waiting for the light.

The cop actually came out of that police box,tapped on the window and instructed him to turn left on red as we were holding up traffic turning left.

The ones on Third and Klang say - "Turn left waiting light" in English - they missed out the No..........They actually changed the notice for the left turn one on Second and Klang so it is clearer.

I was done nearly 3 years ago so they have been up at least that long.

I have seen the police at times on Third and Klang wave traffic through when they have stopped but not often - normally too busy writing tickets..............

clap2.gif

I don't get it what is so difficult to understand about that sign.

To me it clearly says Turn left waiting light ( the green one that is)

... means: No left turn, wait for light.

Understand now?

I understood that from the very moment they introduced those signs, now about 2 years ago, but it seems you didn't as I read your post #38.

You can turn left on a red light except when there is a sign telling you to wait for the light. Only problem the sign is in Thai so foreigners will have to learn the hard way....

Edited by balo

Understand now?

I understood that from the very moment they introduced those signs, now about 2 years ago, but it seems you didn't as I read your post #38.

Got it now.

Turn left = no turn left.

I wish I were smarter.

The ones on Third and Klang say - "Turn left waiting light" in English - they missed out the No..........They actually changed the notice for the left turn one on Second and Klang so it is clearer.

I was done nearly 3 years ago so they have been up at least that long.

I have seen the police at times on Third and Klang wave traffic through when they have stopped but not often - normally too busy writing tickets..............

Yes, the signs have been around for years. When they first came out it was very dangerous to obey them if you rode a motorcycle as the cars would mow you down in anger if you didn't get out of their way. I had to wait in the right lane to avoid any problems. It's getting better now, but you still have to be careful you don't inconvenience impatient car drivers behind you.

Even the new English versions of the sign are still ambiguous. Some countries have rules you can turn left/right after first stopping at light before making the turn. Wouldn't "no left turn on red" be an easy solution?

Understand now?

Got it now.

I wish I were smarter.

Turn left waiting ( for the red ) light

Got it now.

I wish I were smarter.

Yes, the signs have been around for years. When they first came out it was very dangerous to obey them if you rode a motorcycle as the cars would mow you down in anger if you didn't get out of their way. I had to wait in the right lane to avoid any problems. It's getting better now, but you still have to be careful you don't inconvenience impatient car drivers behind you.

Even the new English versions of the sign are still ambiguous. Some countries have rules you can turn left/right after first stopping at light before making the turn. Wouldn't "no left turn on red" be an easy solution?

Meanwhile maybe slightly off topic and a repost from about one year ago for a possible, more obvious and language independent solution:

post-208463-0-47179400-1411900460_thumb.