Wall anchors

I want to put a roof over a patio on one side of my house. I want to build with wood and then metal roofing.

I need to attach a 2x4 to the block wall first. I did this on the other side of the house by just drilling a hole and bolting the 2x4 to the wall. I wasnt concerned about the bolts showing on the inside because it was in a store room. but this new roof will be outside of a bedroom so I dont want to drill allthe way through.

Any ideas?

What is the wall made of?

If brick there are plenty of different styles of expanding anchors that will do the trick.

img21p71.jpg

I've also seen ones which you can screw studding (threaded rod) into so there's no limit on the thickness of the stuff you want to attach (your 2x4).

Like this:-

post-14979-0-73715000-1445583849_thumb.j

Loads of pictures on this site http://www.confast.com/products/thunderstud-anchor.aspx for you to take you your local DIY emporium.

Any particular reason you want to use wood, it's expensive and attractive to the wildlife? You should be able to get a steel structure put up for less than you'll spend on decent timber.

There are special fixings to screw into hollow blocks.post-186435-14455845581364_thumb.jpg

They will hold but they only as good as the block, since it's load bearing you may want to reconsider how you support the wailing plate your screwing to that block wall.

That pic is what I have used in the past, readily available in AU I would expect it to be available there.

My house is all concrete, tile, steel. It was cheap to build but not what I call attractive. Ive tried to add as much wood as possible. Furniture,windows, sala, etc.

Everything Ive built out of wood, Ive treated with Chaindrite and never had a bit of rot or a single insect.

I just think wood gives a warmer feeling.

Ps not a good idea to use expandable bolts, in many cases they will shatter the block or at least not hold well, the bolt above is especially designed for the pourpose of bolting to a block wall...drill size is size for size , 10mm for 10mm bolt, as an example.

There is no limit to what you can find in Thailand in the building trades. Now the cost and willingness of a local shop to source the item is a different issue. But most anything you used to build in Farangland is available in Thailand. Might be a different company imports what you need, but think about the foreign owned factories and major chain hotels that have to be built to a certain standard. Buriram has a sporting venue and two hotels that had to be built to a world class level. I've noted for fixing problems in concrete, masonry and natural stone that occur in the construction industry, from light to heavy duties, Ramset, has an anchor specifically designed to suit the application. Mechanical anchors such as the Fix series, DynaBolt, Sleeve Anchors, TruBolt, Stud Anchors, Triga Z Heavy Duty Anchors are proven products that are of high quality and meeting international standards are available in Buriram so certainly other parts of Thailand. While I could not find Simpson StrongTie which is owned by Bosch, in Thailand I did find Ramset, Buildex and Boustead Fasteners at a family owned local builders merchant store in Buriram. That might not be the exact item for the OP, but it has proven worthwhile for me to ask around and see which store will source special items. I sat down with the manager of the Buriram Thai Watsadu store this Friday morning and while he seemed pleasant and spoke English he was not keen to special order some specific Cotto floor tiles. He was quite candid and stated that Cotto did not support his store and he did not even have a single Cotto tile catalog in the store.