Went to purchase my own Fiber Modem today - Cant do!

thhMan

I went to as many shops as I could, to find a qood quality Fiber Modem (billion is my choice)

All shops, one after the other said that its impossible to buy Fiber Modems from retail shops in Thailand and the only ones I will be able to get are supplied by ISP's

2 shops said its a problem as the ones the ISP's supply are cheap and run hot and are not good at delivering constant speeds....

This was my suspicion and the reason I went to get another modem today, but I was not aware of the laws governing the sale of Fiber Modems....

So I will have to do what they all suggested and import one.....

PS...
I dont know if this is true, but the lack of any shops carrying any stock, seems to indicate it might be true...\

PPS...

I also found this utility for chaecking DNS https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

You should first check with your ISP to see what 3rd-party FO 'modem' Routers they support.

Unless you have a dedicated line, I believe you'll find that most all FTTx installations are shared distribution (similar to how a Cable DOCSIS distribution functions), with up to 16 or 32 users on the same fiber optic line sharing speed capacity and passively being split off via drop lines to each residence. Because of this passive/split delivery each FO Router needs to be pre-approved/registered on the system and provisioned to handle encryption and coordinate uplink time slice allocation.

The ISPs usually will utilize only one or two FO manufacturers in a built-out deployment to cut down on cross-platform incompatibility issues.

The short answer is, I doubt they won't let you.

Maybe a better approach would be to ask then to sell you something simple they can put into 'Bridge Mode' and then connect your own Ethernet Router equipment to do WAN-side authentication and whatever LAN/WLAN distribution you need. Swap in/out out as needed.

Be interested to hear any resolution of this.

Had the same issue for a long time with the combo router-modems issued by True Online and the others. Many times wanted to replace the ones they handed out with my own purchased cable modem-router. But from everything that was posted in various threads here over the years, people seemed to be saying that you couldn't actually get a privately purchased cable-modem router to work with their system, or, that the ISP wouldn't support/help you with the required configuration. Not sure which.

You are not going to have any luck in getting a personally bought fiber optics modem/router to replace the fiber optics modem/router provided by your ISP provider because the ISP strictly controls what equipment can be utilized on their fiber system...it's basically married to their system. Ditto for DOCSIS/cable systems.

Night and day different from ADSL.

Unless you have a dedicated line, I believe you'll find that most all FTTx installations are shared distribution

I have a dedicated line.

Its connected to some optical/electrical converter (little black box) which connects with an ordinary LAN cable to the (WiFi) router.

Exchanged the supplied router with one of my own.

Originally it was an ADSL modem/3G/router (access point) cut down to WiFi router mode.

Seems untypical?

Forget replacing the router, always best to keep the supplier provided device. If you change it then any minor issue will go unresolved since staffs immediate scapegoat will be 'your router not support'.

Better option, keep the tried tested and supported router but switch it into modem (bridge) mode.

Then buy a decent ethernet router and hook your newly converted router to wan port and configure pppoe on your own router.

That way all works well, ISP device does the simple task and you control the router fully.

I have 3BB fiber with their supplied FiberHome brand router. The router has 4 ethernet ports, WiFi, WPS and WPS switches and USB port. Have had no problems. Went inside the software to check the settings and make some adjustments, all very common and working well. Don't see what benefits would be from any aftermarket router especially in view of possible 3BB service problems if I did not have their approved router.

Archived