Thailand back to the booze ban future

webfact

Why can't Thailand pass a law requiring ID to be shown when purchasing alcohol?

No more "300m from school" nonsense, and shops could start selling alcohol between 2PM and 5PM again. It isn't rocket science.

But, but, but - that's what farang countries do. God only know that the Sun, Moon, and Stars revolve around Thailand, and never, ever, will they take the lead of something that works in another country. Now, if they could take credit for thinking of the idea - maybe - but Thailand uber alles, they couldn't fathom using common sense and practical ideas used successfully in other nations. Anyway, it's difficult to collect tea money if a law is too specific; it needs to be vague and open to interpretation. TIT.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No more "300m from school" nonsense, and shops could start selling alcohol between 2PM and 5PM again. It isn't rocket science.

That would be too simple plus someone has a point to make, who do you think the hackers are that are threatening government websites

It seems Thailands mighty military have gone to war with their university students

and are slowly going off the rails

There are lots of things that need fixed here - a few students having a piss up ain't one of them

The problem I see here is that those in charge are taking stuff personally, it is a failure to think that way, nobody is perfect - governments get things wrong - people let them know, take it on the chin and move on

The whole thing is quite childish

University students are change agents, and this wouldn't be the first time the Thai government has gone to war with them, plus the government has firearms so they feel invincible; well, until the Ministry of Whatever web site is hacked.

The fact that there is dissent with the universities tells me that there may actually be hope for the future of this country. The 'why of it' you'll have to figure out on your own.

Many people in Thailand carry fake IDs.

Name 5

Many people in Thailand carry fake IDs.

When I was under 21 many of my friends carried fake ID. Nothing new there.

Regarding entertainment/nightlife, I miss the 1990's. That was the decade of my twenties; and I am glad I spent most of that decade in Thailand. There was no 2 am curfew and it was fun to be able to go bar hopping and clubbing sometimes till early morning. Also, there was no 2 pm to 5 pm alcohol-selling ban for stores and some other venues, back then.

When the 2 am curfew came into effect in the very late 90's (1999 I think), most people had thought it wouldn't last long but sadly, it has lasted till now. Yes, there are some venues that manage to stay open till morning but anyway, there are very few of them; and that means lack of choice.

Anyway, nightlife is still not too bad in Thailand but a lot less fun than it was in the 90's.

Many people think this new ban wouldn't be enforced effectively or wouldn't last long; however, the sad fact is that it will be enforced to some degree at least, and that it is probably here to stay.

Edited by JemJem

Looks like a makeshift drinking corner in someones attic. 4 people and a dog around a table with a cop standing there watching.

Actually, what immediately came to my mind was, "Man! That looks posed. Like a poster for the Sobriety Police to place across Uni campuses."

You people are not fooling us hll thgese little things you add are simply decoys to the real issues that really matter

Understand the decoy part EJK

Now....listen to me....watch my mouth....concentrate...good boy....what are the real issues that matter?

You people are not fooling us hll thgese little things you add are simply decoys to the real issues that really matter

Understand the frustration EJK

Now..listen closely....watch my lips...concentrate hard.....what are the real issues...tell us all.

Understand the frustration EJK

Now..listen closely....watch my lips...concentrate hard.....what are the real issues that really matter...tell us all.

As a resident of Muang Ake which is the housing estate that surrounds Rangsit University I can understand the law on the alcohol ban and the discretionary enforcement upon certain establishments.

IMHO many posters are missing the point and I can understand that to them the law seems frivolous and somewhat unreasonable.

This law has been brought about because of the number of fatal shootings of students this year.

The infamous Bungalow venue is closed now - there have been 2 fatal shootings here that I know about this year.oo

These have not been shootings of student on student but on the dek weng gangs who also go to the bars. Rich UnI kids angry with the dek weng kids on their turf and dek weng kids jealous of the guys who seem to have it all. Alcohol, testosterone and jai ron don't mix and tempers flare quickly.

This is the problem that I see here and it is this the police want to stop.

It sounds like Natural Selection to me. Let them have at it. It's better if they are removed from the gene pool.

"This law has been brought about because of the number of fatal shootings of students this year"

How about radical idea of enforcing existing laws regarding possession of firearms and underage drinking? Oh, but people walk around or ride around (which makes the distance factor so inane, imho), so involves a little walking and effort. Businesses aren't mobile, so can squeeze them at leisure.

The laws regarding the possession of a firearm in Thailand is incredibly strict. It's just the fact that a connected Hi-so can kill someone and get off because they have the money and connections, whereas the average Somchai will see serious jail-time or a intravenous injection. The Hi-sos probably have legal guns and license because they can afford them; the average Somchai is probably carrying an unregistered firearm, primarily because the average price of a handgun is 5 times the retail price of the same handgun purchase in the US from a US manufacturer. Needless to say the average Somchai has no license. Actual concealed carry permits are rare from my understanding. People aren't suppose to be carrying them around except in very specific situations, like a businessman who routinely carries around large sums of money between his business and the bank, or deals in gold, diamonds, etc, and VIPs who are sans their bodyguards.

So, don't confuse the US with Thailand. Large areas of the US allow ownership and legal carry, and handguns are a fifth of the price that they are here. Gun ownership is highly regulated here. So for the anti-gun lobby who love to spout, "If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns." The latter statement is the norm here in the LOS. It has little to nothing to do with enforcement. If you're caught with an unregistered gun, you're going to jail, unless your rich, or otherwise can buy your way out.

This all comes down to the health permanent secretary, Saman Futrakul, pushing his own personal policy. Seems to me he is a rampant prohibitionist, determined to get his own way by whatever means. Why should a civil servant be allowed to set extreme policy? I have no problem with Health officials advocating moderation, or even abstinence. But forcefully pushing a personal policy of prohibition is not his right as a supposed servant of the people.

" leaving authorities to enforce the law at their own discretion."

and that is exactly how they like it...... perfect Thai lawmaking.

"The spokesman added that Prayuth expects security officers to strictly enforce the law but not so zealously that honest businesses are affected."

mmm so entirely at the discretion of the honest law enforcers and government officials. What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by bangon04

As usual the police seem to have a lot of time on their hands attending to social issues that are agreed upon to be ....... unimportant matters..... while certainly not urgent as compared to many other far more important matters needing their expert attentions.

Their sense of priorities always seem to be askew.

What is up with that??

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

The laws are there, people under 20 are not allowed to buy alcohol.

It's the enforement that is not there and won't be there for whatever law they make......unless there is money to be made.

Yes, a new law requiring ID checks is needed. I have never seen anyone ID checked in Thailand when buying alcohol.

The current law only says:

No person may sell an alcoholic beverage to the following:

(1) A person under twenty years of age;

(https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Alcoholic_Beverage_Control_Act,_BE_2551_%282008%29)

It should actually say:

It is forbidden to sell alcoholic beverages to a person unless they show identification proving that they are at least 20 years old.

This identification must take the form of a Thai National ID card for Thai Nationals, or a passport for foreigners.

It wouldn't solve anything. People would just get fake IDs...

I don't live in Thailand anymore so I couldn't care less. I do get tired of all the bleating expats who complain about everything yet still continue to live there. It is a stupid law but whatever, Thailand pass stupid laws all the time and after being enforced for a month things will go back to how they were before.

So why bother entering a discussion on it?

Maybe because a fake ID is easier to obtain than a fake Rolex at MBK.

There will always be a way to buy alcohol for determined "lawbreakers". It doesn't mean that ID checks are a waste of time, if your aim is just to reduce underage drinking.

Same story, different day and time....why can't the pissheads go one day without a crutch???

Sober up lads and enjoy the day and your life?

How about people like me, who have a beer 2-3 times a week and prefer to do the shopping in the mornings. What do you say to that.

Regarding entertainment/nightlife, I miss the 1990's. That was the decade of my twenties; and I am glad I spent most of that decade in Thailand. There was no 2 am curfew and it was fun to be able to go bar hopping and clubbing sometimes till early morning. Also, there was no 2 pm to 5 pm alcohol-selling ban for stores and some other venues, back then.

When the 2 am curfew came into effect in the very late 90's (1999 I think), most people had thought it wouldn't last long but sadly, it has lasted till now. Yes, there are some venues that manage to stay open till morning but anyway, there are very few of them; and that means lack of choice.

Anyway, nightlife is still not too bad in Thailand but a lot less fun than it was in the 90's.

Many people think this new ban wouldn't be enforced effectively or wouldn't last long; however, the sad fact is that it will be enforced to some degree at least, and that it is probably here to stay.

Ditto.

The good old days JJ!

I don't live in Thailand anymore so I couldn't care less. I do get tired of all the bleating expats who complain about everything yet still continue to live there. It is a stupid law but whatever, Thailand pass stupid laws all the time and after being enforced for a month things will go back to how they were before.

Haven't you forgotten something?

"If you don't like it leave."

The laws are there, people under 20 are not allowed to buy alcohol.

It's the enforement that is not there and won't be there for whatever law they make......unless there is money to be made.

Yes, a new law requiring ID checks is needed. I have never seen anyone ID checked in Thailand when buying alcohol.

The current law only says:

No person may sell an alcoholic beverage to the following:

(1) A person under twenty years of age;

(https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Alcoholic_Beverage_Control_Act,_BE_2551_%282008%29)

It should actually say:

It is forbidden to sell alcoholic beverages to a person unless they show identification proving that they are at least 20 years old.

This identification must take the form of a Thai National ID card for Thai Nationals, or a passport for foreigners.

It wouldn't solve anything. People would just get fake IDs...

Worse, they won't be asked for ID's as there will be no enforcement of any law.

And the definition of " Honest Businesses " ?

What else can it mean, except business owned by prominent people or those with links to police or politician are exempt?

They either sell alcohol or they dont. How can two places sell, but one is honest and one isnt?

Its just getting more obvious, there are rules for rich and rules for poor here.

The laws are deliberately made obscure so it can be acted on either way, depending who is on the recieving end and who pays.

So much said about justice by Prayuth, but i watch his speech and hear nothing about Kho Tao victims or that whole disgusting affair.

And since the big backlash on social media, foriegners demanding justice and exposing the Thai justice ''system' for what is is, for all and sundry to read worldwide....

NEXT---a crackdown on the visa system and ending the method whereby most foreigners remain in the country.

co-incidence?

I see it as a clear statement 'farang, shut up or go home'

the next will be a crackdown on sites like this where people are known to voice some rather extreme viewpoints

And the definition of " Honest Businesses " ?

Somebody that pays their tea money.

It could also be referring to those who have a license to sell alcohol.

It's very easy to get a license to sell alcohol if you have a registered business and a real legitimate address.

Any law which is shrouded in ambiguity is unenforcible as it is wide open to misinterpretation. It is the rightful and responsible duty of those who legislate to ensure that there is no possibility of doubt, misrepresentation or uncertainty. This law does not comply with those parameters and is thus illegitimate. Back to the drawing board and draft something that is simple and comprehensible. The suggestion of the use of the universal ID card has the most merit, in my opinion, because surely it achieves quite simply those objectives which are totally obscured by the current legislation

Care to quote love, or are you just that original everytime you post?

M.eh TV, and standards....