Name a SET listed company that interests you.

And please include a ticker symbol.I'm closer than ever to making the plunge and opening a brokerage account here, especially with a stronger Dollar. It seems like over the long haul, getting paid dividends here would have a lot of advantages, one being that you always lose a little on the transfer/exchange.

They don't have to be recommended "buys," but just something you follow, have traded, or have a hunch you would like to share.

I've been looking at BECL. It's listed as an infrastructure/engineering company...basically they operate and build toll roads in BKK. Yielding about 6.5% right now.

Any others?

Edited by bangmai

I like TASCO but was lucky to get them earlier this year - think they are fair value now but have reasonable dividend so will hold on.

Looking at DEMCO and MC at the moment.

Have a couple that i am hopeful of decent gains with over the next year which are HANA - plenty of cash, benefit from a depreciating baht and look ready should electronics pick up with decent div and also SPCG who should be able to capitalise on the renewable energy push going on at the moment.

Incidently, i have an account with Maybank Kim Eng and find they provide useful research/pointers with a decent website for english speakers and an even better ios app. A lot of research is Thai only if you can read it but fair amount in english as well.

A useful little free website/blog that gives small updates on Thai companies in the news daily is thaicapitalist.com - would be interested in hearing of any others that can be recommended as not being able to read Thai does put me at a disadvantage here.

Edited by Orac

Incidently, i have an account with Maybank Kim Eng and find they provide useful research/pointers with a decent website for english speakers and an even better ios app. A lot of research is Thai only if you can read it but fair amount in english as well.

A useful little free website/blog that gives small updates on Thai companies in the news daily is thaicapitalist.com - would be interested in hearing of any others that can be recommended as not being able to read Thai does put me at a disadvantage here.

What are the fees with Maybank Kim Eng and how do they compare with others?

0.1578% + 7% VAT - not sure about others but i don't do enough to make it worth shopping around - recall there was a thread about this a few months back.

I've heard good things about May-Kim-Eng, too. They have an office by CNX. Question: Do they with-hold 15% for taxes on dividends? like the banks do on Fixed Deposits? Are dividends any less taxable than interest like in the US?

I've heard good things about May-Kim-Eng, too. They have an office by CNX. Question: Do they with-hold 15% for taxes on dividends? like the banks do on Fixed Deposits? Are dividends any less taxable than interest like in the US?

15% tax is deducted automatically.

0.1578% + 7% VAT - not sure about others but i don't do enough to make it worth shopping around - recall there was a thread about this a few months back.

So a trade worth 100,000 THB would be 157.8 THB + 11.046= 168.846 THB? That's a great deal for smaller investors (100K per trade or less). No way in hell you gotta pay 7% on the 100,000 though, is there? That would really be a deal killer for me.

Actually, it's 10% for dividends.

Do some research stick with utilities. If the S hits the fan people always need electric, water etc. Personally I think the market is treading water you might be able to buy in at a better price after the new year or after a certain event transpires.

Broadly I'd agree, but without knowing the OP's attitude to risk it is difficult to give specific recommendations. From his post, he appears to consider dividend yield more important than capital growth, in which case I'd add one or two of the better property funds (and possibly property stocks). His eventual broker will be able to advise.

Other factors to consider include exchange risk - are profits to be used in-country or re-exchanged? And, as you allude to, events of a political nature, domestic and international micro- and macro-economics should also bear on the OP's timing, which is crucial.

Dividends in Thailand are automatically taxed at 10%, though BoI-sponsored companies, usually in their early growth stages, are exempt.

Edited by asdecas

LH is risky as it is pretty much only real estate and mortgage loans.

I'm not sure that is going to be so wonderful in a few years but then again, LH sells to the upper middle class and if anyone makes it, it will be them I guess.

Just buy bitcoin and gold I say but LH does look like an interesting play.

So a trade worth 100,000 THB would be 157.8 THB + 11.046= 168.846 THB? That's a great deal for smaller investors (100K per trade or less). No way in hell you gotta pay 7% on the 100,000 though, is there? That would really be a deal killer for me.

If you sell or buy B100,000 in stocks it will cost you B169. The 7% is on the broker's fee not on the profit. Secondly, there is only a 15% withholding tax on dividends which you can claim back from the inland revenue here. Thirdly and more importantly, there is no capital gains tax. I have had an account with Maybank Kim Eng for 20 years. They may be of interest to you as they also have an office in New York. I invest in high dividend stocks with preferably 5 to 10% dividend and a 20% of more upside to brokers consensus on valuation. These include BTS (Div 6.8%), Advanc (Div 5.4%) Intuch (Div 6.8%) MFEC (Div 7.4%) PTTGC (Div 5.2%) AP (Div 5,2%). If you do not want to pay the withholding tax on dividends, you should sell just before the share price peaks and goes ex-div, as 90% of the time the share price drops by the amount of the proposed dividend, giving you a chance to make more than the dividend on increase in share price. You can find the Analysts Consensus here: http://www.settrade.com I have recently traded PTTGC(Div 5.2%) twice, buying at B53/55 and selling at B61. Also IFEC (Div 32.%), buying at B9.90 and selling at B11.00. There are a number of stocks with high dividends but very low trading volumes which should be avoided as it is easy to get you money stuck until the share price recovers.

Actually, it's 10% for dividends.

My mistake - getting it mixed up with US shares. Thanks for the correction.

JAS could be considered in term of share trading and dividend,

I have seen in above messages saying that the 15% tax deducted from dividend can be claimed from in land department?

If so, can do the claim for several years ago if provide the evidences of that? What about the process? Or can claim only the 15% within each calendar year that the dividend accured?

My Thai wife is a Currency Trader and SET Day trader.

I analyze "Sectors" ... and let her pick her individual stocks.

(I do that with Fidelity in the USA -- analyze Market Sectors".

She's doing well and I encourage her to invest SET with:

- Banks

- Medical Delivery & Medical Supplies

- Pharm. Anything to do with Pharmaceuticals, from distribution to manufacturing.

- Major infrastructure (construction).

She has two brokers and is part of two groups of investors that meet regularly.

Both groups are active with Twitter and IM and other forms of constant communication.

She totally supports herself (has for 18 years before I came along) and now sits at the flickering monitor from 5:30pm to midnight Hawaii time. (one day behind Thai time)

Best of luck.

Hydro, CPN, BDMS.

But I've been continuously selling some positions such as infrastructure and telecom where I have good profits.

My recommendation is to be cautious if you start investing now. If I'd be in this situation, I would wait for a more significant correction before buying. Whilst dividend yield in a stock might be attractive, if you loose 20% on your investment, it still hurts.

JAS could be considered in term of share trading and dividend,

I have seen in above messages saying that the 15% tax deducted from dividend can be claimed from in land department?

If so, can do the claim for several years ago if provide the evidences of that? What about the process? Or can claim only the 15% within each calendar year that the dividend accured?

The same question came up, when we were talking about getting our fixed deposit interest tax with-holdings back. You can do it for previous years, but there is a few hundred THB penalty. Somebody went back three years. Might be difficult to get the form from the bank for much older than that. I was issued a tax ID number at the revenue office, but already had a Yellow Book.

Dividends are fine , but don't look so good when the share price drops 20% or more...I know several people who have been collecting 6-7% for the last several years and they think their doing good until I ask them "what price did you buy at"...The share price is down 30% , so that wipes out the last 4-5 years dividends...Be careful and Good Luck.

And if they had been in gold for the last several years, how would they have done?

Bought in gold in a big way in 2000. I'm pretty happy with 400% gain in 15 years. With the money printing going on I don't see this stopping. Then again I don't see stocks going down much either, once every one prints prints prints.

And if they had been in gold for the last several years, how would they have done?

Bought in gold in a big way in 2000. I'm pretty happy with 400% gain in 15 years. With the money printing going on I don't see this stopping. Then again I don't see stocks going down much either, once every one prints prints prints.

I've done better than 400% on MO...since 2008. Everyone should own a little gold; I have been buying some of the miners lately. GDX and GLD were on Fidelity's top 10 list at the beginning of the year...GDX (gold miners ETF) dropped another 30%+, but ii down about 10% for the year...GLD is down about 3-5% YTD. Gold has limited industrial use, and there are storage costs involved with buying bars or coins. The coins are a boiler room favorite, and have you noticed how many fewer ads there are now for them than there were at 18-1900 per OZ. range? There is more gold under the Nevada desert, than has been mined in the history of mankind.

Dividends are fine , but don't look so good when the share price drops 20% or more...I know several people who have been collecting 6-7% for the last several years and they think their doing good until I ask them "what price did you buy at"...The share price is down 30% , so that wipes out the last 4-5 years dividends...Be careful and Good Luck.

As long as the dividend isn't impacted..prices go up and down..personally if you are getting 6-7% stay with it for the long term.

Notice how all the liars on CNBC were talking about the big oil companies cutting their divs. They loved Chevron at 135.....but hated it at 72....they've been increasing their dividend for 27 years. Shell didn't even cut its dividend during WW II. A high yield can be a sign of a company that is going to cut; that is why you look at their payout history. Like in real estate....find a good solid yield, and the appreciation often takes care of itself.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-26/oil-investors-betting-on-dividend-cuts-ignore-decades-of-history

Barclays and Wells Fargo preferred shares are both paying over 7%.

Notice how all the liars on CNBC were talking about the big oil companies cutting their divs. They loved Chevron at 135.....but hated it at 72....they've been increasing their dividend for 27 years. Shell didn't even cut its dividend during WW II. A high yield can be a sign of a company that is going to cut; that is why you look at their payout history. Like in real estate....find a good solid yield, and the appreciation often takes care of itself.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-26/oil-investors-betting-on-dividend-cuts-ignore-decades-of-history

Barclays and Wells Fargo preferred shares are both paying over 7%.

And where do you buy Barclays and wells fargo preferred stock, because I can't find a listing for it.

I can find ordinary shares Wells fargo, which pay 2.74% dividend and have declined 10% in the past 12 months, and Barclays ordinary stock who don';t pay any dividend at all.

Same with Chevron. Hey great dividend at 4.69%, but the stock has declined 30% over the past 12 months.

Edited by TheCruncher