PM Prayuth to decide on tough new penalties for foreigners who overstay

Jonathan Fairfield

Good!

When stay in a country as a foreigner, it is your obligation to know the visa rules. Follow them, even if they're a pain, and you'll be fine and legal. Don't follow the visa guidelines and overstay, then pay the price. It is simple. Don't like it, don't overstay. Don't like it, don't come here.

People who break the rules make it much harder for the ones that stay within the rules. Don't complain, just don't do it.

Man, you need to start a PR company in the United States and "spread the word".

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are hundreds of foreigners here that have wives and children. They cannot get workpermits as they are not degreed up. They do not have 400,000 baht floating around in the bank. They usually support an entire thai family, including parents on around 30,000 baht per month. They cannot afford to do the visa runs at 2 or 3 thousand baht a month. I have met many in this situation. They are not criminals, boose heads, or here for sex tourism. Not only foreigner will suffer from this, but many thai as well. Look what happened in the last purge. All the Russians went home. They had to think many months on how to get them back. Hookers n all.

All those 9 thousand people spend money, in the cheap guest houses, eating street food, in the taxis, and at a guess maybe half are supporting thai families. The rich only think about I want, I want, I want, without a care for the poor that their decisions will effect.

You appear to be proposing unlimited right to stay for any foreigner able to show marriage to a Thai partner and n dependents? Is this correct?

Long term family relationships with Thai nationals should count for something.

So you would no problem with say large numbers of Africans, Indians and Arab gentlemen travelling to Thailand for sole purpose of shacking up with Thai ladies and given unlimited stay with no visible means of support ?

How many farang are supporting Thai families, long-term, with no means of support???

So any foreigner regardless of their nationality who is here with a means of support, and who are supporting a Thai family long-term should be given consideration and a means to stay, like permanent residency.

If they are here free-loading and just living with some Thai woman, or their 'means of support' is illegal (pimping out the tiirak, selling drugs, trafficking, human trafficking, etc), then hell no.

There is a huge difference between the two.

To the grumpier and more right-leaning members posting here regularly, I'd just like to say -

....I overstayed a YEAR last year, and it ROCKED!

I did have a good reason for doing so, however - I was feeling really sentimental, was totally skint, and had decided to. And also, I'd had the realization that my thoughts about Thailand were immeasurably cooler than most of the people I saw posting here. So, I figured it was ok because I was different, and...it was !!! smile.png

All of this was made more complicated, of course, by the fact that I was totally broke most of the time. That's because at 50 years old, I've hardly ever had a job in life. But then again, I have so much talent, that I've managed to coast through wild adventures by being invited all over the world by institutions and theaters. Without any exaggeration, I'm usually paid to smoke weed and make intersting observations about the world, because people call me a genius all the time. Really. OH!...and I smoked a HECK of a lotta' weed, in Bangkok, also. ANYWAY...

I hadn't planned at all, and came back to Bangkok for the one-thousandth time, and when Prayuth (may his authority be short) took over, I just decided I didn't feel like jumping through all the hoops he was demanding (the hoops that old, crabby boring guys have to, I mean), so...what happened, is the landlord of my building let me get away with going MONTHS AT A TIME, in trust. It certainly wasn't the policy at the luxury building, I can tell you that. BUT, I was considered more special by the Thai people who knew me, somehow. And, the staff at my building, took care of me. Each night they invited to have BBQ with them, and insisting on buying the whiskey each night, because they loved me, and they knew I loved them so. They wouldn't do that for most of you, is the thing. And, at the end, all the women in the building (god BLESS them) even got together and brought me several new suits to wear, as I kept touring the world. They loved me, is what I'm saying. They probably wouldn't love most of you grumpy old guys, that way - and, you wouldn't deserve them to, either. You're a cash cow, in return for the rotten and reeking souls your carry around, imposing onto Thailand. Me, they felt I was different, and told me so. And for that, I'll just say, I consider you failures in life, you angry old men who post your right wing nonsense here each day. You're unable to see how small your views are, compared to the country you're in. And, you never will.

One thing I definitely did NOT do, was work illegally in Thailand though. I honestly felt that would be wrong (plus boring). SO...I just lived from people sending me money, over facebook. I can't explain exactly how that happened, I certainly never told lies or cheated anyone - lots of people just started writing that they didn't want me to give up, and to be ok, so many people from around the world, just started sending money each month. Really! So, I spent the year basically walking around, thinking, and being supported for that. And, finally, a whole bunch of theaters and producers around the world got together; paid immigration, paid all the rent I'd owed, and arranged for me to go flying around the world again, smoking pot and having fun. I think I'll roll one up right now in Glasgow, actually.

Now...over the last 6 months, I've done just that: toured all over the world again, doing crazy performances people on this forum wouldn't be able to understand, smoking weed, getting paid for it, and getting compliments for all of it. I tell this story to audiences, and they cheer.

AND...all the people from my building in Bangkok (not the stuffy, jealous Brititsh ones, of course...I mean the cool people, like the landlord, the manager and the people who work there) still write everyday to say they miss me. And, I dearly miss them too. Now I've met the sweetest girl half my age from Russia, and we're getting married. I dont' have to pay her for this, of course - I'm not an old Britsh guy in Thailand, you understand. It's that I'm called a genius all over the world, and that makes a huge difference in what comes to a person in life. Plus, my soul is actually alive, unlike many of yours. I met this wonderful girl when I had free rent in a beautiful neighborhood of Amsterdam the other month. She wrote that she'd been looking for me, beacause of my art, and is running away from Russia to find me in Germany soon, and wants to travel with me from now on. I had to choose between that, and running off with a beautiful professor from Tokyo. So, I made the choice based on which decision would be the most beneficial to another, and I chose the Russian girl.

So anyway, this is just to say - to the people talking about how you wish things to be harsher on others all the time here - I just want you to know: it's YOUR fault that you have such boring, angry lives biggrin.png YOU'RE the ones who are average, and who don't understand the possibiltiies of adventure that you squandered. I know: many of you here consider having moved your fat butts somewhere else once, and then say there drinking beer to be 'exciting'. But to me, it's child's play. You're still slaves to paperwork, and the boring ideals driled into you by your parents. You complain, because you're angry at yourselves, in the end. You hope everyone to suffer from the same lack of imagination and life that you do. And, guess what...NO THANKS! smile.png

LONG LIVE THAILAND! And may the poor one day rise up, and kick ALL you empiralists out on your asses, as you deserve!

If you stayed in any of the buildings I manage and you didn't pay your rent on time you would have been homeless and philosophically smoking weed outside 7-Eleven. Quick time.

To the grumpier and more right-leaning members posting here regularly, I'd just like to say -

I did have a good reason for doing so, however - I was feeling really sentimental, was totally skint, and had decided to. And also, I'd had the realization that my thoughts about Thailand were immeasurably cooler than most of the people I saw posting here. So, I figured it was ok because I was different, and...it was !!! smile.png

All of this was made more complicated, of course, by the fact that I was totally broke most of the time. That's because at 50 years old, I've hardly ever had a job in life. But then again, I have so much talent, that I've managed to coast through wild adventures by being invited all over the world by institutions and theaters. Without any exaggeration, I'm usually paid to smoke weed and make intersting observations about the world, because people call me a genius all the time. Really. OH!...and I smoked a HECK of a lotta' weed, in Bangkok, also. ANYWAY...

I hadn't planned at all, and came back to Bangkok for the one-thousandth time, and when Prayuth (may his authority be short) took over, I just decided I didn't feel like jumping through all the hoops he was demanding (the hoops that old, crabby boring guys have to, I mean), so...what happened, is the landlord of my building let me get away with going MONTHS AT A TIME, in trust. It certainly wasn't the policy at the luxury building, I can tell you that. BUT, I was considered more special by the Thai people who knew me, somehow. And, the staff at my building, took care of me. Each night they invited to have BBQ with them, and insisting on buying the whiskey each night, because they loved me, and they knew I loved them so. They wouldn't do that for most of you, is the thing. And, at the end, all the women in the building (god BLESS them) even got together and brought me several new suits to wear, as I kept touring the world. They loved me, is what I'm saying. They probably wouldn't love most of you grumpy old guys, that way - and, you wouldn't deserve them to, either. You're a cash cow, in return for the rotten and reeking souls your carry around, imposing onto Thailand. Me, they felt I was different, and told me so. And for that, I'll just say, I consider you failures in life, you angry old men who post your right wing nonsense here each day. You're unable to see how small your views are, compared to the country you're in. And, you never will.

One thing I definitely did NOT do, was work illegally in Thailand though. I honestly felt that would be wrong (plus boring). SO...I just lived from people sending me money, over facebook. I can't explain exactly how that happened, I certainly never told lies or cheated anyone - lots of people just started writing that they didn't want me to give up, and to be ok, so many people from around the world, just started sending money each month. Really! So, I spent the year basically walking around, thinking, and being supported for that. And, finally, a whole bunch of theaters and producers around the world got together; paid immigration, paid all the rent I'd owed, and arranged for me to go flying around the world again, smoking pot and having fun. I think I'll roll one up right now in Glasgow, actually.

Now...over the last 6 months, I've done just that: toured all over the world again, doing crazy performances people on this forum wouldn't be able to understand, smoking weed, getting paid for it, and getting compliments for all of it. I tell this story to audiences, and they cheer.

AND...all the people from my building in Bangkok (not the stuffy, jealous Brititsh ones, of course...I mean the cool people, like the landlord, the manager and the people who work there) still write everyday to say they miss me. And, I dearly miss them too. Now I've met the sweetest girl half my age from Russia, and we're getting married. I dont' have to pay her for this, of course - I'm not an old Britsh guy in Thailand, you understand. It's that I'm called a genius all over the world, and that makes a huge difference in what comes to a person in life. Plus, my soul is actually alive, unlike many of yours. I met this wonderful girl when I had free rent in a beautiful neighborhood of Amsterdam the other month. She wrote that she'd been looking for me, beacause of my art, and is running away from Russia to find me in Germany soon, and wants to travel with me from now on. I had to choose between that, and running off with a beautiful professor from Tokyo. So, I made the choice based on which decision would be the most beneficial to another, and I chose the Russian girl.

So anyway, this is just to say - to the people talking about how you wish things to be harsher on others all the time here - I just want you to know: it's YOUR fault that you have such boring, angry lives biggrin.png YOU'RE the ones who are average, and who don't understand the possibiltiies of adventure that you squandered. I know: many of you here consider having moved your fat butts somewhere else once, and then say there drinking beer to be 'exciting'. But to me, it's child's play. You're still slaves to paperwork, and the boring ideals driled into you by your parents. You complain, because you're angry at yourselves, in the end. You hope everyone to suffer from the same lack of imagination and life that you do. And, guess what...NO THANKS! smile.png

LONG LIVE THAILAND! And may the poor one day rise up, and kick ALL you empiralists out on your asses, as you deserve!

You'd be surprised at how little difference there is between the far far right and anarchists.

The political spectrum is like a big wheel. Go far enough left or right, and you end up back at where you started. Lol.

I recently applied for my Retirement Visa annual renewal at Changwattana facility, but due to my fault, was just one day late and paid the 500 fine. Then they reminded me that the prior year I was 3 days late, this due to my Embassy being on holiday for one of these days and had to make an on line appointment (US) which all of their appointment slots were completely filled up days in advance to get my notarized income statement prior to going to Immigration. This year they warned me if I am an overstay even by one day next year, I will be invited to remove myself from Thailand for a period. I cannot find in any Thai Immigration website or otherwise information to back up this warning as received. Therefore, it is only meant to scare me or it is really the truth. Does anyone else know more about this issue?

I am a Brit living in Thailand on a retirement extension which is due on 23rd August annually.

I contact my pension providers in May every year to update my pension income letter. That can take up to 1 month.

In June after all the letters are here I contact the UK Embassy with all the paperwork they require to issue me with the letter confirming that they have seen my pension income letters and confirm the amount.

I go down to the Immigration office in Nakhon Sawan just after 23rd July annually to renew my extension and this then gives me a month of leeway just in case there is a problem which there has not been for the last 6 years,

At 71, I don't consider this as rocket science but common sense.

I have had only 2 problems with an extension in the 20 odd years I have been coming to Thailand and both of them were my fault and I had to fix it.

One of the reasons I joined Thai Visa years ago was to learn and take advice form others who have gone through all this crap over the years and it has worked well for me.

I am sure if I can do it, most people who are legal can do it also.

So overstaying by 2 days, arrested for it = barred for 5 years.

Seems a bit harsh.

It says after 90 days overstay

If you turn yourself in. If you do not, it is 5 years for any overstay under 1 year. Stopped at a police check on 2 days overstay and you are banned for 5 years.

You should have enough sense to know if you have overstayed even be accident i.e. reading the date wrong

Probably been mentioned earlier but too many pages to read, Immigration is really cracking down at the moment. Backhander deals for extensions are off the table at the moment. Many of the visa agents who depend on the Indian and African community (among a few others) for their living are feeling the pinch at the moment.

Good riddance, throw them all out. Along with the useless drunkard farang mongers loitering all over Pattaya, Nana, Cowboy.

One day overstay: 10,000 baht fine, 30 days jail, 1-year banned

More than 10-day overstay: 100,000 fine, 60 days jail, 10-year banned

You CANNOT enter LOS if you owe debt....why travel if in debt????!?!??!?!

All backpackers banned...they have no money!!! 100,000 baht bank balance per month....

Obese banned!!! They are never good for anything!!!

MI6, FBI, etc.... full background check.....

Let's do this crackdown properly!!!!

I've seen your ventriloquist act and very entertaining it is, too.

I never realised, though, that the dummy could write as well as speak.

That's some talent, my friend.

Hmmm there are a number of reasons a person over stay's in a country and not all are simply people trying one on.

So in case of illness or accident as often happens and still have the 20,000 baht fine, now they want to have a bigger crack,

Welcome too LOS..............

I my self just forgot my 90 day check in, normally on the calendar but this time no'p, paid the fine all good,

if you sick you can get an extention, so no reason

Everyone keeps saying this.. But I know for a fact its not that simple..

Yes if you are actually in a private western type hospital, they can usually arrange a medical extension (often only a few days) while your an inpatient.. However they cant help when discharged and immigration doesnt give a shit about any 'doctors notes' I know I had one..

I recently broke some bones.. operations.. plates pins and the usual.. I was discharged but was in no fit state to travel. At that point immigration would accept nothing. Despite me being in agony, with rods and pins sticking out of me.. I should just get on the bus and head to the border (I doubt any airline would have let me fly in that state) to walk across the friendship bridge on a broken leg ??

The only time you seem to be able to get a medical extension is while as an inpatient at the hospital.. There are times you are unable to travel but are not also an inpatient.

I have seen the same with a patient who had a multi day hospital stay.. get discharged and the next day come to immigration with all his pospital paperwork asking for just a 7 day extension.. No go to the border pay your fine.. No discussion, simply officer discretion not given.

Those constantly saying how easy it is.. maybe should try it some time..

WRONG! I had emergency surgery and then was laid up at home for a couple months and had an entry expiry coming up and I was able to get two 30 day extensions from Pattaya immigration for medical reasons no problem. All that was necessary was a note in Thai from my hospital attending physician stating my condition and that I was unfit to fly. There must other reasons they wanted to see the back of you.

You`re sooo wrong in being so certain in your statement.I was myself admitted to Bankok Phuket hospital for more than 2 weeks just before my planned trip to Cambodia to get a visa.So the hospital managed to get an 6 days extension to my visa excempt,but when I tried to get the international coordinator to assist me in a new extension it was refused from immigration.Instead I was told to meet in person at Phuket immigration the day before my extension expired.Still hospitalized I managed to do so and was given a 2(two) day extension and that was it.

End of story I was finally released from hospital and with a 4 day overstay I managed to get over to Burma from Rayong for another visa excempt.Everyone knows that Phuket immigration is bonkers and have their own interpration of the visa regulations,but to for those who says that you are guaranteed to get an medical extension,you`re talking BS !!

! smile.png

If you stayed in any of the buildings I manage and you didn't pay your rent on time you would have been homeless and philosophically smoking weed outside 7-Eleven. Quick time.

Are you actually this easily trolled ... or are you trolling back.

BTW, do us a favor with some netiquette and trim very long posts like the one you've responded to.

You'd be surprised at how little difference there is between the far far right and anarchists.

The political spectrum is like a big wheel. Go far enough left or right, and you end up back at where you started. Lol.

Now THAT is a truth! smile.png Have a good one, ha

And..incidentally, I only posted that incredibly arrogant post today - while pretty factual, just phrased as annoyingly as possible - because I'm so annoyed at the older guys here, who get off on calling for the harshest punishments possible all time. Never for themselves, of course! ha

In truth, I would never walk around thinking 'i have this, and you don't!' I feel very blessed in life, and I do manage to get through ridiculous scrapes often. I don't take advantage of people, either. They tend to trust me a lot at times - I don't really know why - and I make sure that every baht is paid in the end. And, I did before leaving Thailand. And I did everything I could to help, at the same time each day. To me, that's a better form of responsibility, than these guys telling everybody else what to do on a visa forum smile.png

Edited by No Apologist

Overstaying a visa is a pretty minor thing compared to overthrowing a government. Just sayin....

Quite true.

So is state sponsored terrorism to try and scare protesters off the streets after you committed the most disgusting abuse of power.

30 counts of murder and gross abuse of power for personal benefit - yet they didn't get any punishment at all for that : kind of makes the overstay penalties look harsh.

Just sayin ... whistling.gif

So is state sponsored terrorism to try and scare protesters off the streets after you committed the most disgusting abuse of power.

30 counts of murder and gross abuse of power for personal benefit

still just making this up and repeating it - or do you want to support such a claim?

On the other hand, in 2010, no one is denying that the military killed well north of 60 people, ...

well, no one besides the military and their supporters, that is...

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

far-right fascist government playing to the home-crowd with measures to punish foreigners when they could be reforming their visa requirements to make it easier for visitors to stay legally and allow them to properly support the local economies...

Fits right in with their moralistic views on drinking, films about monks, and scantily clad motorshow dancers...

what a BS

There are tourist visa's for visitors and if you have enough money to support the local economy you can get an investment visa.

hardly utter BS. But what would you know about other people's visa issues?

Long story short, it is easier to get a permanent residency visa for my family in my own country than it is for me to one in Thailand. Now that is saying something...

This article reeks of sensationalism and prejudice against the western foreigner whereas there may only be a few from western countries that have been charged for entering Thailand illegally. I am more inclined to think that the majority are from other Asian countries.

For all these people who got arrested you could be right. But having said that, you can't Overstay if you came here illegally in the first place. So this news article would be worded wrong then. It would also be wrong if these people were here legally, did not Overstay, but where all caught working without a Work Permit.

So I question why they would want tougher laws for an Overstay when most of these people you claim would have been here illegally to begin with, or working without a permit. Wouldn't they want tougher laws against that instead?

This article reeks of sensationalism and prejudice against the western foreigner whereas there may only be a few from western countries that have been charged for entering Thailand illegally. I am more inclined to think that the majority are from other Asian countries.

For all these people who got arrested you could be right. But having said that, you can't Overstay if you came here illegally in the first place. So this news article would be worded wrong then. It would also be wrong if these people were here legally, did not Overstay, but where all caught working without a Work Permit.

So I question why they would want tougher laws for an Overstay when most of these people you claim would have been here illegally to begin with, or working without a permit. Wouldn't they want tougher laws against that instead?

I expect most of these people did enter legally and then lapsed into overstay.

The majority of African people , for example, can only obtain visas in their own countries .

Four pages of people complaining that the rules for OVERSTAY their visa are too harsh.

Seems like a lot of people came here with intention to break the immigration laws.

I doubt many people here are breaking any rules or planning to. What I think it is from people who have to jump through all these hoops every year to get a one year extension, and to be frank are getting full up with that. That through personal experience they know what it is like having to do this year after year with each new coming year more difficult then the year before. That question why it has to be this way.

Sure! Easy to say that if you don't like it here, or these rules, then go home. If all you were leaving behind was a hotel room I would agree with you. But many have property here, a family, and a life here, and because of that it is not so easy to do. In fact I would venture to say that because of this people don't just pull up the tent stakes and move on to another country. Which I am sure some have.

The truth is that living in Thailand as a Foreigner on a extension, you are treated no better then a guy out of jail on Parole. With the Police coming to your residence to check on where you live. With the 90 day reporting to the Probation Officer (Immigration). With the notification of a change in address so they know where you are living at all times (like a Sex Offender). Having to apply each year no matter how long you have lived here and been a good citizen. Yet left wondering each time if your Parole will be extended or cancelled. That any violation of these strict rules can lead to a violation of your Parole and having your right to stay here removed in an instant.

So it isn't really from people wondering if they should break any rules. It is just from people asking the question if they really need to be treated this way just to live here for another year? This news won't cause a mass exodus of foreigners here. It just poses the question "What Next?". Do they want us to stay or go?

Four pages of people complaining that the rules for OVERSTAY their visa are too harsh.

Seems like a lot of people came here with intention to break the immigration laws.

I doubt many people here are breaking any rules or planning to. What I think it is from people who have to jump through all these hoops every year to get a one year extension, and to be frank are getting full up with that. That through personal experience they know what it is like having to do this year after year with each new coming year more difficult then the year before. That question why it has to be this way.

Sure! Easy to say that if you don't like it here, or these rules, then go home. If all you were leaving behind was a hotel room I would agree with you. But many have property here, a family, and a life here, and because of that it is not so easy to do. In fact I would venture to say that because of this people don't just pull up the tent stakes and move on to another country. Which I am sure some have.

The truth is that living in Thailand as a Foreigner on a extension, you are treated no better then a guy out of jail on Parole. With the Police coming to your residence to check on where you live. With the 90 day reporting to the Probation Officer (Immigration). With the notification of a change in address so they know where you are living at all times (like a Sex Offender). Having to apply each year no matter how long you have lived here and been a good citizen. Yet left wondering each time if your Parole will be extended or cancelled. That any violation of these strict rules can lead to a violation of your Parole and having your right to stay here removed in an instant.

So it isn't really from people wondering if they should break any rules. It is just from people asking the question if they really need to be treated this way just to live here for another year? This news won't cause a mass exodus of foreigners here. It just poses the question "What Next?". Do they want us to stay or go?

I and I expect many others jump though no hoops and yet manage to remain, legally, in Thailand year after year.

Those "full up" should find somewhere better to live.

I am fed up with the constant , unjustified, whinging of the disaffected few.

I think the overstay fine should be increased to 1000 Baht per day with a maximum fine of Baht 100,000 (100 days) and anything over 100 days should be prison and the banning from Thailand for up to 5 years.

why? How does it affect you so much? How would you benefit from this? Because it sounds like you're not benefiting or something right now so you are upset about things that really don't affect you...maybe you feel upset that you do everything they tell you, and some people don't...big deal...and goodie for you...that's YOUR choice. If a good person overstays, who are they hurting?...and i mean a person who is not a pedephile, or thief, or a 'real' criminal. Really...not hurting a soul.

The penalties are not harsh enough ! But it is about time. Thousands of dodgy foreigners are crapping in their pants right now. GOOD!

And what is a dodgy foreigner? And why do you think the penalties are not harsh enough? When i left THailand last year( 3 years overstay), how did that affect you in any way whatsoever? There are really much worse things going on in this world to worry about, really.

As a foreigner, what you do in Thailand reflects on all foreigners in Thailand, even if they would rather not be associated with people like you.

when i was in Thailand i was very polite, had many Thai Friends and students, held the door open for people, waited patiently in line, smiled at strangers and so on. Yes, i agree how a foreigner's behavior(especially in public) reflects on all foreigners. Overstaying a visa is not in that category. Some of my friends knew that i had overstayed and some didn't. We talked about it and they didn't care because they said they liked me and it didn't affect them. If you feel that someone overstaying a visa affects you, i'm sorry you feel that way, but you have a choice to leave as well if you don't like it.

The penalties are not harsh enough ! But it is about time. Thousands of dodgy foreigners are crapping in their pants right now. GOOD!

And what is a dodgy foreigner? And why do you think the penalties are not harsh enough? When i left THailand last year( 3 years overstay), how did that affect you in any way whatsoever? There are really much worse things going on in this world to worry about, really.

As a foreigner, what you do in Thailand reflects on all foreigners in Thailand, even if they would rather not be associated with people like you.

when i was in Thailand i was very polite, had many Thai Friends and students, held the door open for people, waited patiently in line, smiled at strangers and so on. Yes, i agree how a foreigner's behavior(especially in public) reflects on all foreigners. Overstaying a visa is not in that category. Some of my friends knew that i had overstayed and some didn't. We talked about it and they didn't care because they said they liked me and it didn't affect them. If you feel that someone overstaying a visa affects you, i'm sorry you feel that way, but you have a choice to leave as well if you don't like it.

You're right! Being a decent guy and doing your best to contribute to a good feeling in your surroundings, is far more respected by locals than anything Petchabun Man is shouting. Friendships and caring are valued deeply in Thailand, shouting mean things, not so much smile.png

Edited by No Apologist

You know, I don't think there is any conscious policy of wanting us to stay or go, the whole rigmarole you so accurately describe has grown out of beaurocratic desire to justify status, face, and accumulate minor power. It doesn't really control or monitor us effectively.

Every time I have any contact with the local immigration office I have to fill in the same form explaining where I live, marital status etc, which is presumably then filed with the previous one.

I have never overstayed a visa and I never will. 0.2% of westerners who overstay have no effect on my life in Thailand. Buying a house using a scheme through setting up a company and dodgy lawyers is also illegal. I think general should go after those people. It's a more serious crime :-)

buying a house is a crime? wow

I think the overstay fine should be increased to 1000 Baht per day with a maximum fine of Baht 100,000 (100 days) and anything over 100 days should be prison and the banning from Thailand for up to 5 years.

why? How does it affect you so much? How would you benefit from this? Because it sounds like you're not benefiting or something right now so you are upset about things that really don't affect you...maybe you feel upset that you do everything they tell you, and some people don't...big deal...and goodie for you...that's YOUR choice. If a good person overstays, who are they hurting?...and i mean a person who is not a pedephile, or thief, or a 'real' criminal. Really...not hurting a soul.

Because its done in Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei etc. and the laws in Thailand are just to lax. How long have the 20k max fine been in place? 30+ years and it was never updated?

If the fines and penalty are higher a lot of peoples will not overstay their visa.

I have never overstayed a visa and I never will. 0.2% of westerners who overstay have no effect on my life in Thailand. Buying a house using a scheme through setting up a company and dodgy lawyers is also illegal. I think general should go after those people. It's a more serious crime :-)

I reckon tgfaf is confusing house purchase by a foreigner which is legal with land purchase by a foreigner which is mostly done via illegal means.

Buying a house as a foreigner certainly is legal but not the land so if a company owned by a foreigner buys a house with land it is illegal.

Edited by MobileContent