PM Prayuth to decide on tough new penalties for foreigners who overstay

Jonathan Fairfield

The Thai Govt should give Frau Merkel a call.. Pretty sure she'd take in all of Thailand's overstayers.. why not ? She's already invited the rest of the so00ing World to go live in Europe bah.gif

Edited by Pdaz

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many overstayers are from 3rd world countries which is why the fine is 20,000baht.

Or perhaps many of the members on this site would prefer another 2 tier system in this country based upon skin color?

The fine was set 30+ years ago.

Isn't it 500 baht a day with a maximum of 20,000 ?

Many overstayers are from 3rd world countries which is why the fine is 20,000baht.

Or perhaps many of the members on this site would prefer another 2 tier system in this country based upon skin color?

The fine for overstaying is a maximum of 20,000 baht. But anyone, even with a 1 day overstay, could be fined 20k. It is immigrations choice to charge it in 500 baht daily increments, not law.

Oh, I forgot how rich SEA was 30 years ago. Silly me.

I doubt many 3rd world overstayers would have afforded 20k 30+ years ago, which would have been the equivalent of 80k+ in todays money, any more than they can afford 20k now.

The fine for overstaying is a maximum of 20,000 baht. But anyone, even with a 1 day overstay, could be fined 20k. It is immigrations choice to charge it in 500 baht daily increments, not law.

So why doesn`t IO charge overstayers more often for 20.000 baht ?

So why doesn`t IO charge overstayers more often for 20.000 baht ?

Because immigration officers are bound by the "settlement rule or any conditions as the Settlement Commission my deem proper" issued under section 84 of the Immigration Act.

Seems fair enough.

I would not want to see the first category (90 days) change more than that. The longer overstays have no excuse...so go for it.

As posted before...no sense in harshly coming down on people who overstayed a few days/weeks because of unforeseen illness, accidents, travel mix ups, family issues (thai wife/kid)...etc.

supporting the local economy, lol. start buying visa's and paying tax

far-right fascist government playing to the home-crowd with measures to punish foreigners when they could be reforming their visa requirements to make it easier for visitors to stay legally and allow them to properly support the local economies...

Fits right in with their moralistic views on drinking, films about monks, and scantily clad motorshow dancers...

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm trying to book a flight back to the states and I want to get the maximum time allowed here. My triple entry visa stamp says I must enter before March 9.I'm currently into one of my 30 day extensions.The extension stamp date expires on March 7,In the past(correct me if I'm wrong) it seems I lost a couple days in between boarder runs and extensions.If I do a boarder run on the 5th of March. Knowing that I will have another 60 +30 .What day in June will I have to leave by?

Hi, I'm trying to book a flight back to the states and I want to get the maximum time allowed here. My triple entry visa stamp says I must enter before March 9.I'm currently into one of my 30 day extensions.The extension stamp date expires on March 7,In the past(correct me if I'm wrong) it seems I lost a couple days in between boarder runs and extensions.If I do a boarder run on the 5th of March. Knowing that I will have another 60 +30 .What day in June will I have to leave by?

Count 90 days from the 5th. The 5th being day 1. You will need to leave before midnight on the 90th day. Edited by elviajero

Count 90 days from the 5th. The 5th being day 1. You will need to leave before midnight on the 90th day.

Oh! So that would bring me to June 2, March 5 + 90 days. Can I apply for a 7 day extension at the end of the 30 day extension? There is a flight leaving on the 8th of June.

Count 90 days from the 5th. The 5th being day 1. You will need to leave before midnight on the 90th day.

Oh! So that would bring me to June 2, March 5 + 90 days. Can I apply for a 7 day extension at the end of the 30 day extension? There is a flight leaving on the 8th of June.

There is no 7 day extension as such. You can apply for another extension but it will be denied/refused and the IO will, almost certainly, give you 7 days to leave the country.

elviajero can I do another boarder run ?

Yes, no reason why not. Visa exempt entries (VEE) are only a problem for people with back to back or many previous entries VEE's.

• You could do a border hop at the end of the 60 days and get a 30/15 day visa exempt entry. You'll get 30 days if you're from a G7 country. That 15/30 day stay could then be extended legitimately by 30 days.

or

• Wait and do the border hop on June 2nd for the visa exempt entry.

You should have no problem getting the extra 7 days but just be aware that it isn't what people believe it to be and is at the IO's discretion.

Edited by elviajero

No way!

Seems to be a lot of these short nonsense posts in many threads these days.

I've seen such on many forums. They're prospective spammers testing their abilities to post and making their post counter turn so that they reach whatever number is required to post links. They use this kind of short random phrases in their posts.

Edited by Lannig