Settling down in Bangkok - which Neighbourhood?

qpgwmh

75-100k per month, however we don't need to spend that much if we can meet our criteria more cheaply, so all suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

With that budget you have an almost unlimited choice of places that will fit all your requirements.

For even half that you have a wide range of options.

Otherwise I'd be thinking about a really nice riverside apartment with a view, somewhere off Charoen Krung or maybe on the west side of the river off Charon Nakhon.

I live in a condo off Charon Nahon called Urbano Absolute. It is about 30K for a one bedroom, which would be too small for you guys. But for sure there are two bedrooms within your price range. You could check out airBnB for rentals, just to give you an idea. Urbano has many positives, including a really amazing pool with a great view of the River, and a gym, and even a bowling alley. Good security.

This area, Thonburi, seems super safe. I've never seen a bar girl, but I haven't really looked. There is a small mall very near the condo, with a good supermarket inside. There are some good restaurants nearby, but I don't think that many. BTS is very close, but the bad thing, in my opinion, is that you have to cross the Taksin bridge each time you really want to be in Bkk central. On a scooter it isn't bad. But if you have to load up your family and cross in a taxi, it might get annoying.

Just across the street is another beautiful condo called The River. They are actually on the Chao Praya, and a cool thing, especially for your kids, is they have their own boat that takes you across the river. Again I think in your price range. I don't like the bathrooms in the River. But if you liked, maybe you would like the River better than Urbano.

You might want to look at this thread, which was about good condos in Bkk. Good luck.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862828-which-is-the-best-condo-in-bangkok/

It will be a pain for your family. But maybe you should rent for one month somewhere and see how you feel, via airBnB or similar. Instead of getting locked in somewhere that you find is not suitable.

I pay 50,000 for a nice condo above Petchaburi MRT. It is a quiet area and very safe. You definitely pay a bit for the location here and if that isn't as important I might try something on the river. I think Watermark looked pretty good but opposite side of the river makes logistical issues. You get more bang for your buck though. If you look at the condos in this area look at The Address Asoke. It has the best facilities of any of the 6 or so condos in this area.

I would say this building is luxurious enough but not over the top. There are nice pools, sauna gym etc. I looked into places slightly more but the difference between 50,000 and 60,000 wasn't that great. If you are spending your maximum of 100,000 you will get a very nice duplex condo. I could have got this place cheaper but didn't know how long i would be here. I also noticed that it seemed that places that were more were sometimes not furnished. So that was part of my consideration here.

You will pay more for places directly above the BTS or MRT and for your budget I wouldn't accept anything that isn't. That last little courtesy shuttle or ferry after getting off the MRT is completely a pain in the butt.

The down side to the Petchaburi MRT area is although it is quiet there is utterly nothing here. You need to go one stop either direction, although if you do there is anything you could want. This is what makes it so safe I suppose. On the bright side you can find an honest taxi here almost anytime of day or night.

Edit: sorry when I mentioned duplex condo it isn't in this spot just other places. Also the bathrooms in this building are some of the best I have seen when viewing condos. Most condos here have really funky kitchens and bathrooms.

Edited by anotheruser

Everyone has their favourite areas in Bangkok, which is part of it's appeal.

Of course everyone has different reasons for liking each area and different requirements for where they want to live.

I don't drive and I don't use motorbike taxis, so for me walking distance to a BTS station is absolutely a necessity.

I cook at home so I need a good supermarket within walking distance.

A good gym and a good pool where there is plenty of sun is critical. Some condos have covered pools or the pool location means almost no sun, so forget being able to sunbathe and get a nice tan.

Aside from that location really doesn't matter as the clubs and bars I go to are scattered all over Bangkok.... if I lived in Thonglor I guess I could walk to some of the bars I like, and likewise if I lived in Sathorn or Silom.... ultimately though you can't live close to all the places you might want to go out to.

Of course depending on your age you might not want to go to the upscale bars and clubs anyway.

It really is practically impossible to recommend an area without really knowing every possible thing a person wants, expects and is willing to be flexible on.

Like others have said, Phrom Phong would be your best choice, with your budgets apartments are only 2-5 minute or less from the BTS station, two shopping malls Emporium and Emquartier (both of have supermarkets, movie theatres, etc) connected to Phrom Phong BTS station. It is pretty safe overall in Bangkok at night especially if you are in the city center. 2 Bedrooms (70-80 sqm) usually go for 65,000 / month around that area. If you want to splurge, 250-300 sqm 3-4 bedrooms can be had for around 100k. If you want to save you can go as low as 30-40k per month too.

Most apartments around the area are fairly new, lots of mini marts around, etc etc.

I would avoid Sathorn, as its more of a business district, she will end up going to Sukhumvit most of the time anyways, short 5 minute drive with no traffic, but 30-40 during rush hour.

Your problem will be finding people who wants to rent for only 6 month, you will need agent to sign up for internet and tv for you as you will not be able to do that on your own, and most renters won't do that for you. So the key now is to find agent who can assist you for those basic needs.

To avoid all those hassle, you can always just look at service apartments, 2 Beds can be had for around 65k and up. There are a couple around Sukhumvit, well managed and well maintained, service apartments here are run like hotels. That may be your best option.

Service Apartment:

Centre Point

Emporium Suites

Oakwood

Capehouse

Mayfair

Just to name a few, there are many more.

Edited by mike324

I guess your Thai wife can sign up for the internet and cable tv, but I believe they normally want you to do 1 year contracts.

Forgot to add that you can look at Chidlom and Ratchadamri area as well. Many apartments and service apartments too.

Edited by mike324

I'm on Soi 59 in Thonglor. It's a nice residential area and about a 7 minute walk to the BTS station. Thonglor/Ekkamai are probably going to be your safest bets. I found my place by sending out requests to random real estate agents.

Yep, Ekkamai is quiet. Close to On-Nut (for shopping).

If you use BTS, watch out for the BTS extension fare if you use the BTS rabbit card Trips option. its not much about 10 bhat per journey, but can add-up. The worse thing about it is that the fee is not advertised on the Rabbit card leaflets or the posters.

The Journey from Ekkamai to Chitlom takes about 30 minutes, much quicker than by road, but due to the number of stops, not quick By BTS standards.

I'm on Soi 59 in Thonglor. It's a nice residential area and about a 7 minute walk to the BTS station. Thonglor/Ekkamai are probably going to be your safest bets. I found my place by sending out requests to random real estate agents.

If you use BTS, watch out for the BTS extension fare if you use the BTS rabbit card Trips option. its not much about 10 bhat per journey, but can add-up. The worse thing about it is that the fee is not advertised on the Rabbit card leaflets or the posters.

The Journey from Ekkamai to Chitlom takes about 30 minutes, much quicker than by road, but due to the number of stops, not quick By BTS standards.

Ekkamai- Chidlom is 6 stops i think, it takes about 10 mins.

Ekkamai- Chidlom is 6 stops i think, it takes about 10 mins.

Correct. I was thinking of Punnawithi. (18 minutes to Chitlom/ 10 stops). Ekkamai is good for public transport. MRT connection available at Asok/Sukhumvit, which is 3 stops from Ekkamai.

Huge Big C (for shopping) in Ekkamai if i remember correctly.

Edited by meltingpot2015

no low class people anywhere

.... I don't know what you referring to as low class people but it doesn't sound good. I hope not one of that low class people has to save your ass one day.

I'm Happy to be under low class people in huay kwang (Thais) because they more feel like family and help each ither than the high nosed snobs who think they can buy everything with money.

Edited by Saenchai

Everyone has their favourite areas in Bangkok, which is part of it's appeal.

Of course everyone has different reasons for liking each area and different requirements for where they want to live.

I don't drive and I don't use motorbike taxis, so for me walking distance to a BTS station is absolutely a necessity.

I cook at home so I need a good supermarket within walking distance.

A good gym and a good pool where there is plenty of sun is critical. Some condos have covered pools or the pool location means almost no sun, so forget being able to sunbathe and get a nice tan.

Aside from that location really doesn't matter as the clubs and bars I go to are scattered all over Bangkok.... if I lived in Thonglor I guess I could walk to some of the bars I like, and likewise if I lived in Sathorn or Silom.... ultimately though you can't live close to all the places you might want to go out to.

Of course depending on your age you might not want to go to the upscale bars and clubs anyway.

It really is practically impossible to recommend an area without really knowing every possible thing a person wants, expects and is willing to be flexible on.

I wasn't really recommending my area so much as saying what is on offer. It occurred to me to start a condo review thread. We have them for restaurants so why not condos?

Example of a review thread would go something like this...

Condo name:

Price: (optional)

Rent or own:

Age of building:

Number of bedrooms:

Number of bathrooms:

Number of floors:

Facilities: pools, gyms parking etc.

Then a general opinion of what it good and bad about that condo. Not sure if it would get overwhelmed by people trying to sell condos though.

For that kind of cash I'd look around the Sathorn / Ratchadamri areas... Lots of really nice luxury condo type places on Soi Lang Suan, for example, which is close enough to the BTS but a bit removed so it's clear of the noise and annoyances of lower Sukhumvit. Lumpini Park (IMO Bangkok's best park) is an easy walk away. A lot of embassy staff live around there (American, British, Swiss and other embassies are close by) and that's where you'll find some of the swankiest hotels in Thailand (St. Regis, Four Seasons, etc.).

Agree and the Baan Rajprasong building have great facilities and a view over the American embassy residence and Lumpini park.

post-119133-0-71871200-1446160623_thumb.

For that kind of cash I'd look around the Sathorn / Ratchadamri areas... Lots of really nice luxury condo type places on Soi Lang Suan, for example, which is close enough to the BTS but a bit removed so it's clear of the noise and annoyances of lower Sukhumvit. Lumpini Park (IMO Bangkok's best park) is an easy walk away. A lot of embassy staff live around there (American, British, Swiss and other embassies are close by) and that's where you'll find some of the swankiest hotels in Thailand (St. Regis, Four Seasons, etc.).

Agree and the Baan Rajprasong building have great facilities and a view over the American embassy residence and Lumpini park.

I am not knocking the area at all, as its very central, but out of interest what benefit or appeal does being around specific embassies, living near their employees or having a view of the US Ambassador residence bring, other than the latter being a talking point perhaps?

I am not knocking the area at all, as its very central, but out of interest what benefit or appeal does being around specific embassies, living near their employees or having a view of the US Ambassador residence bring, other than the latter being a talking point perhaps?

The whole US residence is flat, green and quiet so it is like having a view of a big park. You can of course also see Lumpini Park and The Royal Sports club from some units of Baan Rajaprasong. Other than that, I agree it doesn't matter a flying fok whoes residence it is.

NB: Now that I think about it, maybe it is a nice feeling that you can look down at the US ambassador.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1382244-Reviews-Anantara_Baan_Rajprasong_Serviced_Suites-Bangkok.html

This looks more like a hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1382244-Reviews-Anantara_Baan_Rajprasong_Serviced_Suites-Bangkok.html

This looks more like a hotel.

It is a condo shared with a hotel, in this case Anantara. There are lots of building like that around Bangkok.

http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=150

You can get a 168 m2 condo for 95K

http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1208631

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't live anywhere that involves needing the BTS. That's one disastrous bit of transit on so many levels.

I like my area a lot. So much so, I'm not sharing. No hi.so flats so no worries.

While I agree the BTS was not planned very well to accommodate future growth (and its current state), it's the only efficient way to move around downtown during rush hour. I personally would not live in a place where I couldn't walk to a BTS station! (Within 1.6 kM anyways)

Why will you be here for 6 months? Work... Live close to that..

Sathorn is very nice... Lived here most of my time in bkk.. Have moved and always come back to this area.

Some very nice condos.. And traffic isn't always bad. Weekends are ok.. Public transport is very good. Everything you want in 1 area.

Edited by wow64