Alternatives To Thailand ?

rexall

Thanks for the good luck rikpa.She always has nice things to say about Cambo,she goes there alot for shopping,and also says people are very nice.Will be coming in Nov,for 28 days.looking forward to the country life again.Maybe take small trip to cambo,she would like that.Anyway thanks for the info and kindness to a Newbie.

regards,Nevada2

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the good luck rikpa.She always has nice things to say about Cambo,she goes there alot for shopping,and also says people are very nice.Will be coming in Nov,for 28 days.looking forward to the country life again.Maybe take small trip to cambo,she would like that.Anyway thanks for the info and kindness to a Newbie.

regards,Nevada2

Hey, there are no newbies (unless we all are in one way or another :o )

I hope you two have great time visiting Cambo. But... there is life beyond Poipet! :D hahaha

All the best, you are a lucky guy to be happy as you are! :D

We are talking about other countries to live in, but what about alternate companies for establishing a new company?

I live in Phuket and have a new business within the mobile internet sector which has customers throughout the south-east Asia region. I will be doing no work in Thailand, but will simply fly to meetings with overseas clients etc.

I need to establish a 'company' for this new business.

I can't see any advantages of setting up a Thai company for this venture. It is a lot of hassle and I can't see any benefits for either the company or me. So maybe I will establish a company in Malaysia or Singapore or where??

Does anyone know if establishing a company in another country, and receiving company income into that country and paying taxes in that country can give any benefit to the company or it's director (me)?

Eg - If I establish a company and bank account in Malaysia, can this enable me to get some sort of residency visa in Malaysia?

FYI, the company will receive monthly revenues of about 1 million baht. (Revenue that Thailand will miss out on....)

Simon

We are talking about other countries to live in, but what about alternate companies for establishing a new company?

I know someone who started an off-shore company in Hong Kong in order to more easily set up a company in Thailand. Sorry, no details, and most of that stuff is over my head. I do know that it is quite a bit more difficult to start a company in LOS these days because you have to have 51% actual Thai partners who can prove where their investment capital came from. Heretofore, the Thai partners were just a "bookkeeping device" that your lawyer handled for you. No more.

Americans have an option to fully own a Thai company. Again, over my head, but talk to Greg at Sunbelt Asia if you are serious about it.

Finally, Malaysia is easy, if you have money! http://www.imi.gov.my You need to show arond US$80,000 in the bank (half of that if you are over age 50) or can prove $2,700 per month in off-shore income. If you qualify as I have described, you can buy a home (or is it two?) and get other attractive incentives. Best of all, it gets you a 10 year (Ten years!!!) residence permit.

BTW, I don't have any more use for KL than for Bangers or any of the other big, ugly Asian cities. However, Penang is sweet. Mai sanook, and no sex industry like Thailand or the Philippines, but a really attractive, nice, modern, civilized and inexpensive place to live. I have not spent much time there, but I intend to soon with an eye on staying longer term. If Thailand continues to make me nervous and live in an atmosphere of uncertainty about visas and long-term stay, it may no longer seem worth it, even though I have been 10 years now!

Aloha,

Rex

Wed 04 Oct 06, 11:01 a.m.

Hi all,

I started this thread, and I appreciate all the interesting and useful replies about the culture and lifestyle and livability in other countries. However, I originally posted this thread in the visas forum among the 20 pages of reaction to the new "shakeup" in visa regulations effecting expats in Thailand. Unfortunately, I think, the moderator felt my post was "off topic" and chose to move it here to "General Topics." Fine. But my point was that there there are 20 pages of long-stay expats freaking out because they fear this "shakeup" may adversely effect their ability to remain in the country. Whether this is mostly hysteria or has actual substance is debatable and remains to be seen. Nonetheless, it raises an important and relevant question for a lot of expats: If it becomes increasingly difficult or impossible to remain in Thailand on a long-term basis, what are the options?

We have already heard a little about the relatively simple procedures for the Philippines and Cambodia. I just posted something about Malaysia. What about Laos? Are there other countries worth looking at that don't make immigration into a form of harassment, and don't have financial requirements the preclude average people who do have a lot of money? It would be great to see some comparisons.

Aloha,

Rex

could some one please tell what is so good about cambodia besides ankor wat. ?

ive travelled through that country and to say that its better than los is beyond me. :D

maybe i missed something. :D

cheers :o

Hi Terry, if you have a big enough smile and and an accommodating enough heart, the answer is obvious, mate :D Cambo is great for human beings with a good heart!

very nice answer , :D

thats exactly what i think about thailand, big smile, good heart, bit of respect and you cant go wrong.

its only the drunk'in, hoe mongoring losers that go down in los and then cry about it. :D

there pathetic mate. :D

Does anyone know if establishing a company in another country, and receiving company income into that country and paying taxes in that country can give any benefit to the company or it's director (me)?

Singapore - Singapore is open for business.

----------

Back to General Alternative Countries. Kenya gets rave reports.

I've just bought a new build apartment with pool in Turkey for £20,000. It's cheap, but not as cheap as thailand. I'm single and live on about £200 per month. There's lots of rip-offs and scams but generally if your attitude is good and you take your time there are lots of genuine people about. Perhaps the Turks can be a bit over-friendly. There are very few Turkish women for western men to date (unless you want your throat cut) but an abundance of young men who want to take us women out, even if you're 80 and have no teeth and smell of wee.

:o:D

I lived on the island of Cebu, in the Philippines for a year, splitting time between Cebu city and the little divers tourist town of Moalboal.

The armed guards with shotguns everyhwere add to a perception of violence - but they are not a sign of violence. I felt safe in the Phils. The baggage checks for weapons as you enter shopping malls and the armed guards in front of burget joints are not violent. Several times I would walk the streets of Cebu City, in the middle of the night, alone, even through poor areas. During my year there I read of one armed robbery crime in the city. No shots were fired.

On the other hand I was told that one should have a weapon while there. Boats can expect to be pirated, and people get killed at sea. Prostitutes can expect to be shaken down by local gangster toughs if they wander to a disco in a new town. Foreigners are treated in sly ways; what we don't know won't hurt us. Women are far too available. The upper and middle classes are too small a percentage, and are not yet bored with wealth. A party atmosphere burbles below all surfaces. It is the wild wild west, latino style. Dangerous, musky, sexy.

Some of my happiest days were spent in Moalboal. Wake up in the morning, make love with my incredibly attractive and romantic girlfriend, feed from offered plate of eggs and mushrooms and tomatoes. Snorkle in the fantasmic psychedelic reefs that stretched all around as far as I could swim. Read and write and work. Drink at the local pub, play pool, thrill to the electricity in my spine that my mate always provoked. Be too wasted. Sleep. Repeat.

On Saturdays the little village attracted many locals and people as far as from Cebu city for the Disco night. Some Cebuanos can shake.

The main reasons I'd not want to go back have to do with the Jeepnies. Incredibly loud horns, and incredible volumes of soot belch from them, making any place with roads unbearable.

I'm i Bali now. I prefer the sly Filipinas, and the undercurrent of Latin passion of the Philippines, but when I dream of being in an airplane, it is always of coming to what feels like my safe home, Bali. This is the most beautiful place.

I will likely bring my little girl/daughter/wife type woman here.

mmm, how about new zealand? seems easy to get in, I heard.

might have to have a bit more in the bank than the equivalent of 800K baht.

very expensive boredom from what i've heard :o

I spend almost exactly the same (if not more) in Thailand as I do back home in NZ.. as for the boredom... well you get out what you put in. I wouldn't go to NZ if I was after drink and women.

True.

At the moment there are flowers and spring growth everywhere and it is really something to see.

There are many days that the sky lookes as though it has been wiped with window cleaner, it is so clear.

You can drink the water everywhere and the people are generally friendly to any nationality.

Summer can touch 30 degrees in some parts and nobody lives more than a stones throw from the ocean or major river. And. It is all free!

There is a mojor skill shortage.

However, the government leaves a lot to be desired and for me the winter is the pits.

I crave Thailand.

I've just got back from a five day trip to Phnom Penh and thoroughly enjoyed it. It jumped ahead of PI as my number one thai alternative.

Very friendly welcoming people. Decent food (both western and local), a good nightlife and - for the record - the introduction of ANZ Royal means it now has around a dozen international ATM machines scattered around. I used them to access funds from various accounts in NZ, Australia and Thailand, no problem at all.

I been to india and I think its a hel_l hole.

The place is dirty and wouldnt live there is I had too.

The peopel are much worst then in Thailand IMO Although i didnt go to there beaches so I cant comment on that,

For me India is an amazing country and I just love going there. But you will either love it or hate it. Yes it is dirty but look beyond that and it truly is the best counry the world.

There seems to be some confliciting information about the Malaysia 2nd Home scheme on the internet at the moment.

See the following, which doesn't agree with the info a few posts above.

Applicant above 50 years of age

Applicant and spouse (either one must be above 50 years of age) will have the privilege of choosing EITHER to have a fixed deposit of RM 150,000.00 (for 5 years) from any bank in Malaysia; OR derive a fixed monthly income of not less than RM 10,000.00 (from abroad). The fixed deposit account must be active during applicant’s permitted length of stay under this programme. A Multiple Entry Visa is given together with the Visit Pass (Social) of 5 years period (for those nationals who require a visa).

Single (individual) applicant will have the privilege of choosing either to have a fixed deposit of RM 100,000.00 (for 5 years) from any bank in Malaysia ; OR derive a fixed monthly income of not less than RM 7,000.00 (from abroad). The fixed deposit account must be active during applicant’s permitted length of stay under this programme. A Multiple Entry Visa is given together with the Visit Pass (Social) of 5 years period (for those nationals who require a visa).

Applicant below 50 years of age

Applicant and spouse MUST POSSES a fixed deposit of RM 150,000.00 (for 5 years) from any bank in Malaysia ; AND derive a fixed monthly income of not less than RM 10,000.00 (from abroad). The fixed deposit account must be active during applicant’s permitted length of stay under this programme. A Multiple Entry Visa is given together with the Visit Pass (Social) of 5 years period (for those nationals who require a visa).

Single (individual) applicant MUST POSSES a fixed deposit of RM 100,000.00 (for 5 years) from any bank in Malaysia ; AND derive a fixed monthly income of not less than RM 7,000.00 (from abroad). The fixed deposit account must be active during applicant’s permitted length of stay under this programme. A Multiple Entry Visa is given together with the Visit Pass (Social) of 5 years period (for those nationals who require a visa).

The Social Visit Pass given for a period of five (5) years period is given subject to the validity of the passport

All new applications or renewals in this programme are required to have a fix deposit account in any bank in Malaysia OR any foreign banks as long as the foreign banks have a branch in Malaysia.

From http://www.imi.gov.my/ENG/im_MalaysiaMy2Home.asp

Anyone have recent application experience to report ?

Edited by WaiWai

Singapore - Singapore is open for business.

----------

With limitations - they are quite choosy when it comes to handing out Employment Passes, and quite rightly so. Singapore may be business-friendly, but it is also quite business-strict.

(There is a new scheme underway where they want to foster business creation and the Employment Pass (called EntrePass) is valid for one year initially. You need capital, a business plan etc . . . Again, the criteria are quite strict but if you are serious then why not try this)

Malaysia - -hahahaha

Life here in Italy is good. Lots of Brits and Americans retiring here.

Great weather (absolutely whacks the weather in Thailand)

Great culture- probably the greatest on the planet.

Great food

Fantastic looking women (and fantastic looking men, maybe not a good thing if you can't stand the competition)

Cheap land and housing (that you can own)

Free Medical and Social Services for all EU citizens

The list goes on.

Of course its not as cheap as Thailand, but then you get what you pay for.

When it looked like Thaksin was going to be in power forever, then in the first few moments of the coup that it may be a 'Thaksin-Coup'. I thought quite a bit about alternatives. Italy, South of France,Portugal and Greece/Cyprus etc. They cannot match Thailand on costs. If I were to become rich, which is highly unlikely I would spend most of my time in Southern Europe.

If the rumoured Thaksin-Coup had happened I don't think I would have had to much trouble choosing an alternative, it would just be the costs involved.

Brasil looks interesting, but oh the crime ? :D

Sadly England, apart from the awful weather, expense, dirt etc. Has become a Third World dumping ground for economic migrants etc. That could be a political time-bomb? :o

The armed guards with shotguns everyhwere add to a perception of violence - but they are not a sign of violence. I felt safe in the Phils. The baggage checks for weapons as you enter shopping malls and the armed guards in front of burget joints are not violent. Several times I would walk the streets of Cebu City, in the middle of the night, alone, even through poor areas. During my year there I read of one armed robbery crime in the city. No shots were fired.

On the other hand I was told that one should have a weapon while there. Boats can expect to be pirated, and people get killed at sea. Prostitutes can expect to be shaken down by local gangster toughs if they wander to a disco in a new town. Foreigners are treated in sly ways; what we don't know won't hurt us. Women are far too available. The upper and middle classes are too small a percentage, and are not yet bored with wealth. A party atmosphere burbles below all surfaces. It is the wild wild west, latino style. Dangerous, musky, sexy.

OK, let me ask you this, "would it be possible for security guards to protect the people, the community, and themselves if they aren't allowed to carry guns?" (Do you really think that a flashlight and a stick would help?) It is common knowledge that criminals carry weapons - knives, guns, bats, pipes, etc. I don't seriously think that they would commit crimes without arming themselves. Can you imagine what would be the scenario if the security guards aren't equipped with the necessary gadgets?

You said, you were told that you should have a weapon? By who? Do you even know the laws about carrying firearms in my country?

Boat pirates? Believe me man, I grew up near the ocean and no boat has ever been attacked by pirates! There are no pirates in the Philippines! OK...... when the Spaniards came to Mactan Island on March 16, 1521, (that's near Cebu! In fact, most newbies confuse this place as part of Cebu.........) the native chieftain of the island fought against the conquerors. ***That's where the pirate stories came from!

Yes, we do have prostitutes in my country. I admit that until now, my gov't hasn't completely put a halt to prostitution practices, despite of the information campaign drives and programs that my gov't is actively pushing. But am I wrong if I say, "prostitutes exist all over the world, and they can be found in every country!"

Yes, there's a scattering of gangs and mafias here and there, but come on, they exist in almost every country! Are am I wrong?

Yes, you are right about the uneven destribution of wealth in my country! It is unfortunate, but true. (Is this what happens when you embrace democracy????) :o This has always been the problem of 3rd world countries, I believe.

Sly ways? They'll call you JOE back there, and would even offer you food and sometimes, even shelter. ***If you want to experience this next time, try visiting areas that are not in the tourist maps, for a change.

You will truly feel welcome! You might even notice the degree of innocence that people have back home. They are quiet a trusting, forgiving, easy-going and friendly bunch!

OH btw, the smoke coughing jeepney machines you were talking about are very important to low-mid class people because it provides them a cheap form of transport! And yeah, it can be a bit noisy, but it has become distinctly a characteristic of my country. You will never ever see a jeepney all your life, unless you visit the Philippines! Besides, such transportation economizes the use of gasoline, so why not?

Did you see the horse-drawn carriages that are still used for transportation in Cebu? They are called Kalezas. If you have ridden one, you will know that the horses really smell bad, but it comes with the territory! Doesn't it?

Edited by GracelessFawn

OK, let me ask you this, "would it be possible for security guards to protect the people, the community, and themselves if they aren't allowed to carry guns?" (Do you really think that a flashlight and a stick would help?) It is common knowledge that criminals carry weapons - knives, guns, bats, pipes, etc. I don't seriously think that they would commit crimes without arming themselves. Can you imagine what would be the scenario if the security guards aren't equipped with the necessary gadgets?

You said, you were told that you should have a weapon? By who? Do you even know the laws about carrying firearms in my country?

Boat pirates? Believe me man, I grew up near the ocean and no boat has ever been attacked by pirates! There are no pirates in the Philippines! OK...... when the Spaniards came to Mactan Island on March 16, 1521, (that's near Cebu! In fact, most newbies confuse this place as part of Cebu.........) the native chieftain of the island fought against the conquerors. ***That's where the pirate stories came from!

Yes, we do have prostitutes in my country. I admit that until now, my gov't hasn't completely put a halt to prostitution practices, despite of the information campaign drives and programs that my gov't is actively pushing. But am I wrong if I say, "prostitutes exist all over the world, and they can be found in every country!"

Yes, there's a scattering of gangs and mafias here and there, but come on, they exist in almost every country! Are am I wrong?

Yes, you are right about the uneven destribution of wealth in my country! It is unfortunate, but true. (Is this what happens when you embrace democracy????) :D This has always been the problem of 3rd world countries, I believe.

Sly ways? They'll call you JOE back there, and would even offer you food and sometimes, even shelter. ***If you want to experience this next time, try visiting areas that are not in the tourist maps, for a change.

You will truly feel welcome! You might even notice the degree of innocence that people have back home. They are quiet a trusting, forgiving, easy-going and friendly bunch!

OH btw, the smoke coughing jeepney machines you were talking about are very important to low-mid class people because it provides them a cheap form of transport! And yeah, it can be a bit noisy, but it has become distinctly a characteristic of my country. You will never ever see a jeepney all your life, unless you visit the Philippines! Besides, such transportation economizes the use of gasoline, so why not?

Did you see the horse-drawn carriages that are still used for transportation in Cebu? They are called Kalezas. If you have ridden one, you will know that the horses really smell bad, but it comes with the territory! Doesn't it?

hello miss fawn,

and the first thing id like to say is, your looking cracking bloody gorgeous today and should be the frigging queen of the philipines. :D

if i was the boss cocky over there you'd be straight in the top job, no sweat at all . :D

next thing id like to say is thats its a real low act dishing the dirt on your home country and im on your side forever. :D

cheers terry :o

If I can offer my two Euros worth on life in the Philippines.

I spent just over a year working in on a project in the Philippines my experience of life there was on the whole very favorable.

I met lots of very friendly people, staff in the office where hard working and professional. Working in the Philippines was very very much easier than working in Thailand, and it's not just the language (I'm a Thai speaker anyway), its more than that, it is about a work ethic that most Filipinos seem to have and Thais seldom have.

However, security is a real issue.

The front of the provincial hotel I was staying in was shot up by thugs with automatic rifles. Several colleagues were robbed at gun point and there were a number of instances of people taking pot shots at our office block from a wooded area over looking the compound.

More than that violence is far more into the areas where you might never expect it in other countries. I was in the Glorietta shopping center (Makati) when an explosion went off. The reports in the press where that this was a gas cylinder - It was not, I was there and witnessed the victims of what was a grenade attack being carried of.

On another occasion I was, like hundreds of other people, trying to stay out of a riot that suddenly started in downtown Manila when only yards away a guy had his head shot apart.

I understand wholly Gracelessfawn's eagerness to defend her country, it is truly a wonderful place with some wonderful people, but there is no getting away from the fact that it is also extremely violent.

OK, let me ask you this, "would it be possible for security guards to protect the people, the community, and themselves if they aren't allowed to carry guns?"

OK, let me ask you this: do they really have gun-toting security guards in front of places like McDonald's?

I worked in a place last year where they had machine-gun toting stormtroopers out front (it is a bank HQ), and I certainly did not feel more secure going there to work every day. I can only imagine that if there are a lot of security guard types with loaded weapons it would be pretty unnerving and spoil the party for me.

hello punters,

ive never been to the philipines so i would not have a clue whats going down over there. ?

a few of you are saying its a dangerous place.

is it dangerous for a backpacker or tourist or is it dangerous because you could be caught up in local problems.

in other words the wrong place at the wrong time. ?

cheers :o

It's dangerous because, like I say above, grenade attacks in shopping centers.

But There's a Bigger Danger

It is widely believed that there is one single difference between the Philippines and Thailand that no man can ignore.

Look into the eyes of a Thai girl and you'll see dollar signs.

Look into the eyes of a Filipino girl and you'll see wedding bells...... YIKES! :o

hello punters,

ive never been to the philipines so i would not have a clue whats going down over there. ?

is it dangerous for a backpacker or tourist or is it dangerous because you could be caught up in local problems.

cheers :D

It is the kind of place that the hotel staff tell you not to carry more than $10 dollars outside because there is a pretty fair chance that you will be robbed.

It is the kind of place that the hotel staff tell you not to carry your passport around with you because the police might stop you and confiscate it until you pay them a lot of money.

It is the kind of place that the hotel staff tell you that if your taxi doesn't go straight to your destination, you should jump out at the first opportunity because the taxi driver is going to rob or shoot you.

It makes Vietnam look like the most honest place on the planet! :o

hello punters,

It is the kind of place that the hotel staff tell you not to carry more than $10 dollars outside because there is a pretty fair chance that you will be robbed.

It is the kind of place that the hotel staff tell you not to carry your passport around with you because the police might stop you and confiscate it until you pay them a lot of money.

It is the kind of place that the hotel staff tell you that if your taxi doesn't go straight to your destination, you should jump out at the first opportunity because the taxi driver is going to rob or shoot you.

Im planning on going on holidays there with my friend, thats not what I want to hear, surely it cant be that bad.

My maye never mentioned anyhting like that and he is from there

hello punters,

Im planning on going on holidays there with my friend, thats not what I want to hear, surely it cant be that bad.

My maye never mentioned anyhting like that and he is from there

If your friend is Philipino he is not as much of a target as an Anglo and he knows how to handle himself there.

I will admit that I haven't visited there for a while, but I don't imagine that it's changed all that much.

A few years ago, a buddy went over to Angeles City with a bunch of cash to buy used watches. I told him that it was dangerous, but he kind of sneered at me because he is a big tough expat who lives in Pattaya and he used to be in the SAS and "loves danger". Anyway, the day after he went, I saw him walking down the street in Chiang Mai and he told me he had gotten robbed of all his money on the very first day.

All the SAS stuff hadn't helped much against a sawed off shotgun. :D

Philippines:

I lived in the Philippines for 5 years, and generally had a good time. I lived in Olongapo (Subic Bay)

Yes all the stores have their own security guard with shotguns, but I did not see any one shot. There are ATM machines, but you may have to wait in line for 30 minutes to use it. Often when there were 40 or so people in line, i just said to myself another day. When I first got there I mailed 6 packages to friends, some in u.s.a. some in p.i. Three of them got delivered. Within 10 minutes of arriving, (we got ride from my buddies wife's brother) we were shaken down by a cop, who surprised me by climbing into the front seat with me. The people are friendly but I doubt they would be as friendly if they didn't think you had money.

English is very widely spoken, but just because they can pronounce a word, does not mean they really now what it means. That can be a basis of a lot of misunderstanding.

The food I found to be unvarying in it's monotony, 300 miles north, or 300 miles south, it seemed every local restaurant had the same 10 dishes, and they were all colored brown.

But what I was really glad to leave behind was the garbage and pollution. In the city, Manila included, you can walk an hour before finding a trash barrell. The exhaust is unbelievable most of the cement buildings are a dirty grey. If you go for a walk in flip flops your feet are very dirty in an hour. Your boogers will be black. The tricycles are more annoying than the jeepneys as they are all extremely loud (2 cycle engines) As to jeepneys saving gas ? give me a break. The beaches at least where I was were pretty dirty. The locals would clean them up by digging a hole and burying it. When the next storm came all the buried garbage would come up again.

Everyone burns their garbage. Including all the plastics. Trying to explain to them about dioxins was pointless.