Apartment Owner asks for my passport

I got fined once for not filing a TM30 after requesting a ceritficate of residency.

The next time I entered I printed the form off, and gave to my wife to complete. She was totally confused with the wording, but we struggled through it. I produced it at the immigration office, the photocopy of my passport wasn't needed, certainly not the departure card - but I did have my passport with me.

What they did need was a copy of her ID and a copy of the tabian baan / housebook .. The form mostly consisted of her information, my details were compiled on the back of the form, from what I can remember.

I think, photocopy your details, hand them to him and advise him it's his duty as the housemaster, if he tells you your wife is the housemaster then give the documents to her, everyone smile, file them in the trash and have a great holiday.

The whole thing is a joke, I never carry my passport, my 5 year license has the necessary info which I use to check in if I have to and my wife always registers if we need to check into a hotel.

Edited by recom273

Whats the fuzz? Looks like the owner follows the rules but being little lazy and tells you to report yourself. Maybe he wants it to be done properly. If all would do that it would be harder for criminals to hide. Easier for the government to get some taxes in future, which this country really needs etc. Same rules apply in Serbia, Sweden, Romania etc. Serbia you have to report directly to police. Sweden asks same in visa application. Writing this and reading all reviews i think you would already been done reporting:)

Edited by sead

That owner's just being a typical prick, (under-handed manner, as usual) expressing his opinionated disdain toward foreigners. However, you are legally required to provide a copy of your ID upon request. The burden of reporting your presence @ that location (to Immigration), is the owner's responsibility. Not your's. Just give the jerk the copy he requested, and then lie to him about having reported yourself to Immigration, should he pursue the issue, past that point. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, in the LOS. Cheerscoffee1.gif

Why lie,just tell the truth.

That owner's just being a typical prick, (under-handed manner, as usual) expressing his opinionated disdain toward foreigners. However, you are legally required to provide a copy of your ID upon request. The burden of reporting your presence @ that location (to Immigration), is the owner's responsibility. Not your's. Just give the jerk the copy he requested, and then lie to him about having reported yourself to Immigration, should he pursue the issue, past that point. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, in the LOS. Cheerscoffee1.gif

"That owner's just being a typical prick, (under-handed manner, as usual) expressing his opinionated disdain toward foreigners."

There's a lot of "opinionated disdain" going around.

"Dont ever think such law exist on earth"

Ah but you are not in the real world here - this is Thailand....

By the way there is a 5 star hotel in central Bangkok which no longer checks my passport - I just flash my hotel chain platinum membership and they check me in automatically. My passport number on their computer must be at least 2 passports out of date by now...

There is a requirement to notify your address in Thailand.

It starts for the foreigner when you complete the TM6 Arrivals card on your flight.

Once you are at your destination the hotelier/house master is required to advise Immigration of your arrival using a TM30 (notification of alien staying at residence). Hotels/apartments should be able to complete the online application, but they do need copies of your passport and TM6.

The law has always been the same although it was rarely enforced until last year when the new PM started to remove some heads.

For those who say 'I never', I say for the future 'you may'.

Your a foreigner in a foreign Country and complain about having to report your whereabouts!

If you want to remain problem free and no fines, just follow the simple rules........easy.

Your choice, your money, your time.

If hoteliers don't want to report your residence, their choice, their money, their time when the BIB come knocking.

Yes, the apartment owner needs to get a copy of your passport's main page and the page with latest arrival stamps plus a copy of your arrival card. In accordance with Immigration Act B.E. 2522, Section 38, he, like any house master, must report any 'alian' staying in apartment.

And yes, you are oblige to report your new address, even if it is a temporary one, within 24 hours after arrival from abroard, or within 48 hours if moved inside Thailand. This obligation is also stipulated inte Immigration Act, Section 37 (3) or Section 37 (4) respectively.

You are actually writing about two different situations. You first paragraph refers to filing TM30, which is often enforced but without any consistency.

You second paragraph refers to filing form TM28, which is entirely the responsibility of the alien, This regulation insists that the alien report his location within 24 hours of going anywhere, either to immigration or the local police. In my years here, I have oohly once been asked for a TM28 - that in Chiang Mai. Thank goodness they do not enforce this reg as they do in Russia; I lived and worked in Russia for some time, and there, the first thing you do after arriving in a new place is go and stand in line at the police station, to report yourself. It brings a whole new meaning to 'going away for the weekend', when you need to include 2 police reports.

i just arrived in fang and at the hotel they didnt ask me anything 350b and finish ahahaha

i love this thailand

The hotel did not wish to see your passport or take a copy of it ?

Me & Mrs M had a few days break at Pattaya recently and my wife handled the checking in process @ the hotel. I didn't have to show my passport at all. Last time I did at the same hotel.

I've NEVER been asked for passport or any other form of ID in my 6 years of living here permanently & visiting numerous hotels/resorts.

While the online booking is usually in my name, my wife does the actual check-in at the hotel while I seem to remain a non-entity so far as the hotel is concerned.

Long my it stay that way.

So in 6 years I guess you've never opened a bank account or applied for a Thai driving licence.

And if you did, perhaps you can enlighten us all as to how you did it without a passport.

What about your extensions and 90 day reports. Does the wife check you in?

• Like 1

Me & Mrs M had a few days break at Pattaya recently and my wife handled the checking in process @ the hotel. I didn't have to show my passport at all. Last time I did at the same hotel.

I've NEVER been asked for passport or any other form of ID in my 6 years of living here permanently & visiting numerous hotels/resorts.

While the online booking is usually in my name, my wife does the actual check-in at the hotel while I seem to remain a non-entity so far as the hotel is concerned.

So in 6 years I guess you've never opened a bank account or applied for a Thai driving licence.

And if you did, perhaps you can enlighten us all as to how you did it without a passport.

The posts you quote - including the post from thai006, which I had to delete because of nested quote limits - are all quite clearly about hotel bookings - each one specifically mentions the word 'hotel'.

How stupid do you have to be to try imply they're referring to ID requirements for banks, DL, extensions of stay, 90-day reports etc.?

I have literally stayed in a hundred resorts or more, now renting a house away from where I am registered and never once been questioned. I have registered vehicles in different provinces than which they have plates from.

I have never carried my passport or a copy, other than the bank or immigration. I have been asked but I say I left it at home. End of story. I have a Thai license for bikes and cars and use both regularly. The PPW for the car is always in it. The PPW for the bike depends if I have my bag with me. I use a DL for ID at the hotels that require it. They ask for a PP but don't produce it.

Of course,being white and American, probably helps. Not dragging down other races nationalities but it does seem Americans are more welcome. I don't know why, we have morons too.

I have lived in many places in Thailand over the years (38). Surat, Pattaya and now, Isan and it has always been that way. It seems some people make a bigger deal out of this than is needed.

If a visit from immigration police and you have not been registered there it is a 4000bht fine. If you go to immigration to sort something and you haven't been registered there it is an 800bht fine.

I have a yellow book where I live but Mrs.Trans had not informed immigration I lived there...800bht fine with a receipt...

It sounds normal at this point with the surge of immigration requirements as per law all foreigners place of stay must be reported. The landlord is aware of the crackdown but probably doesn't understand how to report it.

My landlady make it a point to give me a new lease paper as required and 2 days ago while sitting in a bar 3 immigration officers came in and checked visa's and asked where we lived legally. The owners wife did not do a 90 day report on her husband and was fined 1000 baht.

So, be legal or beware.

Hi all,

I stay at my girlfriend's condo. I was not aware of this rule. Either was she.I stay here already 1 month, still 2 month to go. Any suggestions what we have to do now? And will I get problems when entering the country again?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I stay at my girlfriend's condo. I was not aware of this rule. Either was she.I stay here already 1 month, still 2 month to go. Any suggestions what we have to do now? And will I get problems when entering the country again?

Thanks in advance

She must report to immigration you NOW live there.

I had been in and out of the country many times with no problem, even with my address on the arrival card.

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I had been in and out of the country many times with no problem, even with my address on the arrival card.

Thanks Transam for the quick reply.

So she have to go to immigration and fill in the form I stay with her now? She or me not get fined for the past?

Thx for the help mate

i just arrived in fang and at the hotel they didnt ask me anything 350b and finish ahahaha

i love this thailand

I have stayed in many, many places that did not want to see or copy my passport -- and recently, too. In fact they also usually don't even have a sign in procedure or take my name.

Generally inexpensive places upcountry.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Thanks Transam for the quick reply.

So she have to go to immigration and fill in the form I stay with her now? She or me not get fined for the past?

Thx for the help mate

If she says you have been living there, 800bht fine..

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Whether or not your girlfriend submits a TM30 you will not have any problems entering the country again.

Technically, she should submit a form TM30 to immigration within 24 hours of your arrival (it can be done by post). If she doesn't the worst case would be a fine. Typically 800 baht but it can be as much as 2,000 baht. Beyond the fine there is no other consequence.

i love this thailand

I have stayed in many, many places that did not want to see or copy my passport -- and recently, too. In fact they also usually don't even have a sign in procedure or take my name.

Generally inexpensive places upcountry.

I have had similar experiences when cheeking into smaller hotels or just my wife's ID card.was enough.

When I checked into a large hotel in Bangkok on Saturday they wanted both my passport and my wife's ID card.

• Like 1

That owner's just being a typical prick, (under-handed manner, as usual) expressing his opinionated disdain toward foreigners. However, you are legally required to provide a copy of your ID upon request. The burden of reporting your presence @ that location (to Immigration), is the owner's responsibility. Not your's. Just give the jerk the copy he requested, and then lie to him about having reported yourself to Immigration, should he pursue the issue, past that point. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, in the LOS. Cheers:coffee1:

There is no law that says you have to provide a copy of your ID upon request.

This is what the immigration website says:

Please fill in all requested information according to the foreign national's passport, as often arriving passengers do not fill in the correct data on the arrival card. The form can be typed or handwritten in clear block letters. Leave a space between name, middle name, and surname.

• If the passport number is preceded or followed by a letter, fill in the letter too.
  • Write the arrival card number (TM. 6) in the respective field. The arrival card is stapled into the passport. Both letters and numbers of the arrival card number must be filled in.
  • Arrival date means the date of arrival in Thailand. Date of accommodation must be filled in on the front page of the notification sheet.

After the officer in charge has verified the information on the notification sheet (TM. 30), he accepts the notification and hands over the lower part of the form to the person making the notification. This part must be kept for further checking.

A copy of passport is not required when submitting the form although the immigration office will likely ask for it.

It's not always only the owners responsibility. It's the house-master, owner, possessor. It can be the foreigners equal responsibility if they qualify as any of those three entities.

• Like 1

That owner's just being a typical prick, (under-handed manner, as usual) expressing his opinionated disdain toward foreigners. However, you are legally required to provide a copy of your ID upon request. The burden of reporting your presence @ that location (to Immigration), is the owner's responsibility. Not your's. Just give the jerk the copy he requested, and then lie to him about having reported yourself to Immigration, should he pursue the issue, past that point. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, in the LOS. Cheers:coffee1:

There is no law that says you have to provide a copy of your ID upon request.

This is what the immigration website says:

Please fill in all requested information according to the foreign national's passport, as often arriving passengers do not fill in the correct data on the arrival card. The form can be typed or handwritten in clear block letters. Leave a space between name, middle name, and surname.

• If the passport number is preceded or followed by a letter, fill in the letter too.
  • Write the arrival card number (TM. 6) in the respective field. The arrival card is stapled into the passport. Both letters and numbers of the arrival card number must be filled in.
  • Arrival date means the date of arrival in Thailand. Date of accommodation must be filled in on the front page of the notification sheet.

After the officer in charge has verified the information on the notification sheet (TM. 30), he accepts the notification and hands over the lower part of the form to the person making the notification. This part must be kept for further checking.

A copy of passport is not required when submitting the form although the immigration office will likely ask for it.

It's not always only the owners responsibility. It's the house-master, owner, possessor. It can be the foreigners equal responsibility if they qualify as any of those three entities.

Foreigners no nufink about Thai law stuff, hotels, renters do.

GF and wives don't until they get fined..

The posts you quote - including the post from thai006, which I had to delete because of nested quote limits - are all quite clearly about hotel bookings - each one specifically mentions the word 'hotel'.

How stupid do you have to be to try imply they're referring to ID requirements for banks, DL, extensions of stay, 90-day reports etc.?

You made two statements in one sentence. I took the symbol '&' as an introduction of an additional comment or interjection.

If you had used the word 'when' then there would have been only one implication to your statement

So before you criticise my comment, read your own first.

Mama used to say 'Stupid is as stupid does'.

Yes, the apartment owner needs to get a copy of your passport's main page and the page with latest arrival stamps plus a copy of your arrival card. In accordance with Immigration Act B.E. 2522, Section 38, he, like any house master, must report any 'alian' staying in apartment.

And yes, you are oblige to report your new address, even if it is a temporary one, within 24 hours after arrival from abroard, or within 48 hours if moved inside Thailand. This obligation is also stipulated inte Immigration Act, Section 37 (3) or Section 37 (4) respectively.

You are actually writing about two different situations. You first paragraph refers to filing TM30, which is often enforced but without any consistency.

You second paragraph refers to filing form TM28, which is entirely the responsibility of the alien, This regulation insists that the alien report his location within 24 hours of going anywhere, either to immigration or the local police. In my years here, I have oohly once been asked for a TM28 - that in Chiang Mai. Thank goodness they do not enforce this reg as they do in Russia; I lived and worked in Russia for some time, and there, the first thing you do after arriving in a new place is go and stand in line at the police station, to report yourself. It brings a whole new meaning to 'going away for the weekend', when you need to include 2 police reports.

The filing of a TM28 is only to report a 'change of address'.

In the OP's case he should be entering the address he is staying on the TM6 Arrival/Departure card.

Unless he 'changes address' there is no requirement for him to do anything more.

The only requirement left is for the 'house master' to file a TM30 when he arrives.

In his case it should be his g/f in my opinion as it is her apartment. She is the possessor of the apartment.

• Like 1

Weird. I didn't see anything here from ubonjoe. He'd know or ask the lawyer.

Best of luck. Get married and or give him a bonus and maybe that will clear it up.

There are scads of odd posts on TV, in living and traveling all over the world, money talks nobody walks.

Pay, smile and get on with our lives. I've always eneterd Thailand and had an address to clear immigration of where I would be.

I'm not aware of when I was staying with friends of anybody reporting my visit to immigration. I'm sure they didn't .

However, who knows?

Bon Voyage.

Edited by nithisa78
  • Like 1

No need to show anybody anything. For one, how does the landlord even know you're coming? and what business is it of theirs?

Sounds like plans for some illegal doings.

I would be careful. It just doesn't seem right on how he/or she would know you're coming, unless your "Girlfriend" tolded them and that just don't make any sense.

I have many friends in Thailand that hold office, like

lawyer, government workers, police and more,

i have often visited them and stay with them in

their house, nothing has ever been done, no

forms, passport ? didn't know anything about

that? I hold Aussie passport.

• Like 1