Can you buy decent and safe house for 2,500,000 B?

what2do

Pardon my ignorance but I always wanted to move to topical beach and consider Thailand as a viable option. I know 2,500,000 will not get me anything on the beach but can I at least get something safe and secure for that price? I being living in China for last 6 years in a matchbox aparment and I find the sound proofing very what is the word... "awkful". Anytime my upstair neighbor move his chair the entire apartment shakes, so the dream is own detach house. If anyone can offer advise it will be very much appreicated.

On who's name you gonna register the land? The options I know are: on a local girls name (not a good idea, especially when you never saw the dark areas behind the sweet smiles), on a local 'friend' his/her name (the fastest way to end a friendship) or b: legal trickery with a company construction with vague or non existing shareholders (also not a good idea)

The first years of expatting in Thailand usually are VERY expensive lessons. You can buy an apartment on your name, that's much safer, but no land.

Guess you want to avoid the common nightmare like this: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346620

Do the smart thing and rent first!!!Yes you can buy a good house for 2.5 m baht,i do not know what you mean by safe.The house itself or the area it is in?Also the price would depend on the size and of course the location.

It all depends where you want to live and you do need to look around first.

Lots of land for around 1 million per rai and 1.5 million can build you a very nice house.

Look around first!!!!

There have been a lot of reports about poor soundproofing in some condos. The only way that I know to check the sound level is to spend time in the apartment or condo at different times of day. You must be aware of any nearby clubs that play loud music late into the night and any construction projects that might be noisy. Be wary of neighbors that may be noisy at certain times of the day. Some older high quality buildings have good soundproofing. Double-glazed windows can reduce outside noise. Good luck.

On who's name you gonna register the land? The options I know are: on a local girls name (not a good idea, especially when you never saw the dark areas behind the sweet smiles), on a local 'friend' his/her name (the fastest way to end a friendship) or b: legal trickery with a company construction with vague or non existing shareholders (also not a good idea)

The first years of expatting in Thailand usually are VERY expensive lessons. You can buy an apartment on your name, that's much safer, but no land.

Guess you want to avoid the common nightmare like this: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346620

Listen to the above advice its free and will save you a ton of money. The first few years in Thailand being an expat can be a very expensive life lesson and I should know I paid my dues. Especially if your here on limited funds and a medium size pension. Don't do a Las Vegas and bet it all on one roll. Buy a condo its in your name its yours. Where you choose to live is another important decision. Health care water availability location location location all matter. PM me or the above poster if he would be so kind and play 20 questions no make that 100. TV guys/posters have all paid their dues and are the kind that will steer you through the landmine of living here. Then after 5 years you will get your diploma and be able to minister to others just arriving to listen to the siren's song that is Thailand.

There are plenty of houses awailable i Hua Hin for around 2.5 million baht, but in that price range we are talking of a very basic Thai style homes. Whether a house is safe or not depends on many factors such as the house itself, its location, your life style, and whether someone occupies the house on a permanent basis.

Generally, almost all houses built in Thailand have poor to very poor sound insulation, but probably not as bad as the Chinese condo you are referring too. In Thailand there are a few sourses of noise that can be difficult to stay away from; 1) soi dogs, 2) the Thais themselves, and 3) if the house is located close to a tempel.

Do the smart thing and rent first!!!Yes you can buy a good house for 2.5 m baht,i do not know what you mean by safe.The house itself or the area it is in?Also the price would depend on the size and of course the location.

It all depends where you want to live and you do need to look around first.

Lots of land for around 1 million per rai and 1.5 million can build you a very nice house.

Look around first!!!!

"Do the smart thing and rent first!!!"

Yes, always a good idea to rent first. Most condo buildings have rentals available for short or long-term. It will give you time to figure out whether you're happy with the environment, in terms of a specific building or the area and also it will give you time to do some house searching. House rentals tend to be offered for longer term, but even that might be a better option for you than committing to purchase (not easy for foreigners) and it will offer you an easier escape if you decide that isn't what you were really hoping for.

Most likely, with a 2.5M baht house in Hua Hin, you'll be going from noisy Chinese apartment to Hua Hin barking dogs, noisy neighbors, and a loud bar in the distance. Otherwise, I love living in HH ... although I live inside a very quiet golf course.

A major word of advice: Never, never buy this house right away. Come rent in HH for awhile and make sure you'll like living in Thailand in general and HH specifically.

I rent (been renting this for over 5 years now) a great 2 bedroom x 75m² condo in a somewhat quiet area in Chatujak (near Major Ratchayothin) for 10k/mo or 120k/yr or 1.2MTHB per 10 years.

Calculate that out over the time you have left on this crazy planet and decide if it's worth it for you to buy or better to rent.

Thanks all, sorry off topic a bit but would Malaysia be a better choice since it allow ownership of land?

Not for a mere 2.5 million Baht. The *minimum* value of a house that can be owned by a foreigner in Malaysia varies by state from 5 million to 20 million Baht.

The upside is that acquiring a 10 year visa is relatively simple with the MM2H programme. Basically you need proof of liquid assets for at least 5million (below 50 years old) or 3.5million (above 50 years) plus 100 000/month in overseas income or pension.

Thanks, and I must ask how is sound proof in the apartments? Can you hear neighbors moving their chairs?

I rent and the sound proofing between apartments is good but, like you, the movement of furniture or anything dropping on the floor upstairs is deafening.

I live in Saphan Khwai, like the place so will move to top floor.

Archived