Phuket policeman killed in big bike crash

webfact

Phuket policeman killed in big bike crash
Phuket Gazette

bike.jpeg
Police believe that Lt Col Nattachai Huahin was unfamiliar with the area and hit the curb at high speed. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A Karon Police officer was killed after he lost control of his Honda big bike in Rawai early this morning.

Police believe that Lt Col Nattachai Huahin was unfamiliar with the area and hit a curb at high speed just after midnight.

“At the scene, we found the body of Lt Nattachai with a broken neck and severe head injuries. His damaged motorcycle was nearby, as well as four other damaged bikes that were parked by the curb,” confirmed Lt Cholada Chokdeesrijan of the Chalong Police.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-policeman-killed-big-bike-crash/62232?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-10-28

When did the police force issue big bikes to officers on duty?

Likely his own bike. Never see any big police bikes at Chalong. Article does not say that he was on duty.

Good to hear that blood tests came back negative for alcohol and drugs. Saves more speculation on an after midnight crash.

Thai joke in Chiang Mai - "If you see 2 cops on a CBR 150, they're both paying for it." Hey, don't flame me, my Thai wife told me that one.

Ok, so no drugs or alcohol, which is good, but also no mention of a helmet. So you never know.

In the full article it mentions the helmet and the fact that the test for alcohol was negative. RIP

Actually - you're wrong Nemesis.

Just FYI.

Read the teaser then the full article.

I hate sloppy reporters and lazy sub-editors.

From the teaser excerpt:

Police believe that Lt Col Nattachai Huahin was unfamiliar with the area and hit the curb at high speed. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A Karon Police officer was killed after he lost control of his Honda big bike in Rawai early this morning.

From the full article:

Police believe that Lance Corporal Nattachai Huahin was unfamiliar with the area and hit a curb at high speed just after midnight.
- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-policeman-killed-big-bike-crash/62232?desktopversion#ad-image-0

Edited by Evilbaz

Thai joke in Chiang Mai - "If you see 2 cops on a CBR 150, they're both paying for it." Hey, don't flame me, my Thai wife told me that one.

Ok, so no drugs or alcohol, which is good, but also no mention of a helmet. So you never know.

Well he did have a helmet,but it broke on impact.When i bought my helmet from Oz,the missus asked why.I said,broken leg or arm,i stay here,broken head i go home,if i live.Doesnt cost much more to save your best asset.

Well he did have a helmet,but it broke on impact.When i bought my helmet from Oz,the missus asked why.I said,broken leg or arm,i stay here,broken head i go home,if i live.Doesnt cost much more to save your best asset.

you are overstating the value of a helmet in an accident, they are all tested for impacts up to about 30kmh anything over that on a solid object and you are not going to fair well, it seems he was going too fast and lost it hitting something solid and breaking his neck, a helmet would likely have made no difference, come of a bike at anything over 30kmh hitting something solid your chance of survival is minimal with any upper body impact

you are overstating the value of a helmet in an accident, they are all tested for impacts up to about 30kmh anything over that on a solid object and you are not going to fair well, it seems he was going too fast and lost it hitting something solid and breaking his neck, a helmet would likely have made no difference, come of a bike at anything over 30kmh hitting something solid your chance of survival is minimal with any upper body impact

Oh, I don't know, Smedley. Some years back, I was doing about 115 MPH (185 kph) on my Ninja 650, when a truck I was passing suddenly blew a tire right beside me. I went down HARD, slamming my head onto the pavement. It cracked my $650 DOLLAR Bell helmet, but I suffered no damage, other than a headache for a couple of days. And my full riding kit also kept me from suffering any broken bones or serious road rash. I seriously believe in good helmets, and in FASTENING them as well. Yes, they can save your life.

Oh, I don't know, Smedley. Some years back, I was doing about 115 MPH (185 kph) on my Ninja 650, when a truck I was passing suddenly blew a tire right beside me. I went down HARD, slamming my head onto the pavement. It cracked my $650 DOLLAR Bell helmet, but I suffered no damage, other than a headache for a couple of days. And my full riding kit also kept me from suffering any broken bones or serious road rash. I seriously believe in good helmets, and in FASTENING them as well. Yes, they can save your life.

I am not going to get into the physics but hitting the ground from a height of about 5 feet is a downward impact from that height, the downward speed is not 115mph, if however the bike throws you in the air then that distance increases , and the downward speed increases as it is from a greater height, forward velocity only becomes a factor (excluding road rash) if you hit something solid while moving forward, motogp is a fine example - add a tree wall lamppost to a race circuit and all bets are off, if you had hit something solid at 115mph (forward motion) it wouldn't matter what you are wearing you would not survive

When did the police force issue big bikes to officers on duty?

Likely his own bike. Never see any big police bikes at Chalong. Article does not say that he was on duty.

Good to hear that blood tests came back negative for alcohol and drugs. Saves more speculation on an after midnight crash.

I though all police had to buy their own bikes, guns and uniforms. I remember seeing probably this guy and another RTP on big white bikes at a roadblock in Rawai/ Naiharn near the Sai Yuan turn as you head up to Kata over a year ago. I was coming down a back road without my helmet and turned around and went home when I saw them!

Your helmet and riding kit protected you as you were sliding down the road. Had you hit the truck or a solid object at 115 mph or 30kmh as stated by smedley, you would most likely be dead. It the speed to zero in no time that kills you

Your helmet and riding kit protected you as you were sliding down the road. Had you hit the truck or a solid object at 115 mph or 30kmh as stated by smedley, you would most likely be dead. It the speed to zero in no time that kills you

correct, a lot of people don't understand this concept, it has to do with understanding vertical and horizontal velocities, the vertical velocity is the speed you achieve as you descend to the ground from the sitting position on the bike, horizontal velocity is the forward speed you were doing which has little influence on the ground impact speed, your vertical impact speed to the ground will be less that 5mph unless the bike throws you into the air, the most simplistic way I can think of describing it is an aircraft landing.

It seems this policeman was riding on a road he was not familiar with and was riding too fast, at least that is what the report is indicating, I can think of many other situations I have encountered in Thailand that could also have contributed, Thais have a habit of overtaking on a blind bends (extremely dangerous), I have been behind many and often said to myself - thank god I wasn't coming the other way banked into that bend although I always leave myself some margin and never 100% committed to a corner unless I can see all the way round, I remember once being banked over into a bend and half way round there was a tour bus overtaking and on my side of the road, I managed to avoid him with a couple of feet to spare - my margin was used to the max that day