Prayut warns he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting

webfact

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The country has been running better than when under Yingluck & prior"democratic" Gov'ts & PM Prayut has & is doing a good job.

Realistically,there has been little change to day to day living & in some respects has improved.

Yes, I know, the "naysayers" will say,"keep taking the medicine" !!

But the acid test - has he made the trains run on time?

and is he frightened of lamp posts

He is right....better than having some red mob burning downtown Bangkok again.

Better less democracy than deads on the street.

I don't care which color the mob on the BKK-streets is wearing but we don't need any of them here.

Protesting is OK but not when they occupy streets and carry weapons with them.

We have to work here in BKK to keep the systems running, i guess that's too hard to understand for some folks on this forum.

Do you hear that noise? Guess the kwai is hungry, or maybe he's sick?

Edited by Thian

His definition of peace is for the general Thai populace to give up fighting for democracy and their human rights.

As one of the elite posted earlier : "Better less democracy than deads in the street."

But I prefer the quote of Ben Franklin offered by another earlier poster: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Prayut: I'm serious about cracking down on my political opponents... Oops I mean Mafia figures. I will retire in September but I don't know the year; I will step-down after elections but can't tell you when elections will be held; I will stay until all corruption in Thailand is eradicated.

What is true is about Prayut is... His Facts Come Through Jokes

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

Being implacably opposed to military juntas as a matter of principle, I think the good PM should carry on doing exactly what he's doing.

I am puzzled though - in general, people don't say stuff without some kind of emotional prompt, though Thais love to talk so it may not apply. But I wonder what prompted the good fellow to day this and also that he might close down the country. I mean, the whole UN loves him, Obama seeks him out for a handshake, everyone understands him, Obama is visiting Thailand (oops. sorry, that's next door in Malaysia) and so on.

I wonder what could possibly have rained on his parade for him to be so visibly angry since he got back from NY? Maybe the (now arrested) Mor Doo saw something not to the General's liking - a noose perhaps? Or a firing-squad? A nice couch with straps and a long needle?

Edited by Joe Brennan

A false,ignorant and hateful alternative.A proper democracy in Thailand would remove the conflict between the privileged few and the majority.In any case it is the military and their backers who have been primarily responsible for the deaths of those fighting for democracy.It is a constant theme of Thai history since the 1970's.

PM warns he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting

12212-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha called on members of the “five rivers” to help overcome decades-long internal political conflict as he half-jokingly said that he might have to stay longer in power if there is no peace in the country.

The prime minister on Wednesday chaired the first meeting of the “five rivers” which include the National Council for Peace and Order, the cabinet, the National Legislative Assembly, the National Reform Steering Assembly and the Constitution Drafting Committee.

In his address to the “five rivers” the prime minister urged politicians of different political shades to join hands with the other stakeholders to drive the country forward to free itself from middle-income trap and from democratic trap if they do not want the junta to stay longer in the office.

The prime minister said that he had never entertained the idea of staying longer in the office but just wanted to stay on as necessity warrants. Being prime minister is not at all a comfortable job and yet there are people accusing him of aspiring to spend longer time in the job, he added.

He admitted that some government leaders disliked him “but they have manners which is different from some Thai people who do not show respect for him. He said that even if they do not like him, he is ready to shake hands with them and to smile at one another.

Touching on the Monarchy issue, the prime minister said he had never involved the Monarchy to get involved in politics and called political rival groups to spare the Monarchy from politics.

Regarding trouble-plagued state enterprises, the prime minister warned that they must restructure and take bitter pills to solve their own problem otherwise the government will step in and do at its own way.

He said he had faith in the “five rivers” to resolve the protracted political divide and warned political opposing groups to resolve their conflict, failing that he may have to stay longer in the office.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-warns-he-may-stay-longer-in-office-if-opposing-political-groups-refuse-to-stop-fighting

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-10-29

"In his address to the “five rivers” the prime minister urged politicians of different political shades to join hands with the other stakeholders to drive the country forward to free itself from middle-income trap and from democratic trap if they do not want the junta to stay longer in the office."

Middle income trap? I guess it means that some Sino-Thai people are not yet rich. The democratic trap needs no explanation, we've all seen the horrors of democracy where brown skinned peasants actually think they can have a say. Unacceptable!

"The prime minister said that he had never entertained the idea of staying longer in the office but just wanted to stay on as necessity warrants."

Well, necessity now warrants you to eff off and to let the electorate decide who shall lead Thailand.

"Being prime minister is not at all a comfortable job and yet there are people accusing him of aspiring to spend longer time in the job, he added."

Boo effin' hoo!

"He admitted that some government leaders disliked him “but they have manners which is different from some Thai people who do not show respect for him."

Aaaaaw, poor man! Are there people out there who don't grovel the moment they see you? This might blow your mind but it might have something to do with the fact that you overthrew a government elected by the majority of the voters and then took away their voting rights, and all to perpetuate the rule if the old elite.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

Laws need to be enforced not tilted towards the privileged few.

And there was liberty under the Shinawatras? I have missed that.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, and Safety for some temporary handouts, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety nor the handouts. h90

He said he had faith in the five rivers to resolve the protracted political divide and warned political opposing groups to resolve their conflict, failing that he may have to stay longer in the office.(Quote)

It might help to explain what the PM means by conflict if he gave some relevant examples of the so called 'fighting'. I've not read anywhere of political groups fighting in the streets, so maybe he's talking about verbal or even idealogical conflict. If the PM is wishing to remove all opposing political opinion, then he's well down the road to a one-party state eg North Korea

Someone asked me the other day why I think the RTP and the RTA do more damage to Thailand than anything else.

I don't know of course, but they must have something in common... apart from them not being the political party the good ex-General was referring to.

Edited by Joe Brennan

There is no pleasing some people. When Bangkok was locked down and burning, the economy was in tatters and corrupt rice schemes were raping the coffers, this column was full of complaints. Now it is relatively peaceful and it s still full of whinging readers! At least he has brought some stability and if he stops waffling on about corruption, mafias and the economy and gets on with it, I really don't care how long he stays. Democracy is not for all countries and I have a business to run.

A false,ignorant and hateful alternative.A proper democracy in Thailand would remove the conflict between the privileged few and the majority.In any case it is the military and their backers who have been primarily responsible for the deaths of those fighting for democracy.It is a constant theme of Thai history since the 1970's.

There is no choice between military and proper democracy....that was tried last time already.

The choice is between Prayut and some privileged few bring stability and property without democracy.

Or the Shinawatra clan and its cronies take everything into their pocket with minimal democracy.

No one ever claimed that the army burned down the houses in Bangkok. They protected them and got shot at...enough army died.

yes in the 1970s it was different, but we are in other millennium and no one from the 1970 generals is anywhere near power (OK, Chavalit maybe but on the Thaksin side).

Have missed something?

There are still deads in the streets of Bangkok, not to mention in the South.

Better more democracy which gives a voice to everybody rather than having to kill to get noticed

There is no pleasing some people. When Bangkok was locked down and burning, the economy was in tatters and corrupt rice schemes were raping the coffers, this column was full of complaints. Now it is relatively peaceful and it s still full of whinging readers! At least he has brought some stability and if he stops waffling on about corruption, mafias and the economy and gets on with it, I really don't care how long he stays. Democracy is not for all countries and I have a business to run.

Quite right.

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

blink.png

Edited by Joe Brennan

A huge surprise, to- nobody!

He is merely telling people to behave themselves...........or else!! thumbsup.gif

They decide on how long he stays as it all depends on whether they continue to be naughty boys and girls and keep throwing their toys out the pram.

You have got to give him credit, he is doing a magnificent job regards taming corruption with the way he has gone after them.

So to stay in power he will further invent and instigate problems between opposing sides. With the way the Bangkok bombing has panned out, one cannot completely rule out that it was not a false flag. But as was stated by a previous poster, he is sticking around for the major event to come.

Wow! I was sitting here watching my dog lick his dog and scratch his balls which I thought was strange and asked him why does he do that. He just looked at me as if to say "because I can, because I want to and because you can't stop me" I can guess this news has a similar action and response.

He said he had faith in the five rivers to resolve the protracted political divide and warned political opposing groups to resolve their conflict, failing that he may have to stay longer in the office.(Quote)

It might help to explain what the PM means by conflict if he gave some relevant examples of the so called 'fighting'. I've not read anywhere of political groups fighting in the streets, so maybe he's talking about verbal or even idealogical conflict. If the PM is wishing to remove all opposing political opinion, then he's well down the road to a one-party state eg North Korea

With the lack of any visible political debate, I agree that this alleged 'fighting' is something of a mystery.

Someone earlier commented that the "...'5 rivers' consist of the junta, the junta and the junta's lackeys..." so he appears to be preaching to the choir here.

The fact that subsequent military 'classes' are still retiring annually, each with their own carefully cultivated, huge entourages of sycophants and coat-tail riders to feed, the classic, factional inter-army counter-coup cannot be discounted.