Prayut warns he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting

webfact

PM warns he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting

12212-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha called on members of the “five rivers” to help overcome decades-long internal political conflict as he half-jokingly said that he might have to stay longer in power if there is no peace in the country.

The prime minister on Wednesday chaired the first meeting of the “five rivers” which include the National Council for Peace and Order, the cabinet, the National Legislative Assembly, the National Reform Steering Assembly and the Constitution Drafting Committee.

In his address to the “five rivers” the prime minister urged politicians of different political shades to join hands with the other stakeholders to drive the country forward to free itself from middle-income trap and from democratic trap if they do not want the junta to stay longer in the office.

The prime minister said that he had never entertained the idea of staying longer in the office but just wanted to stay on as necessity warrants. Being prime minister is not at all a comfortable job and yet there are people accusing him of aspiring to spend longer time in the job, he added.

He admitted that some government leaders disliked him “but they have manners which is different from some Thai people who do not show respect for him. He said that even if they do not like him, he is ready to shake hands with them and to smile at one another.

Touching on the Monarchy issue, the prime minister said he had never involved the Monarchy to get involved in politics and called political rival groups to spare the Monarchy from politics.

Regarding trouble-plagued state enterprises, the prime minister warned that they must restructure and take bitter pills to solve their own problem otherwise the government will step in and do at its own way.

He said he had faith in the “five rivers” to resolve the protracted political divide and warned political opposing groups to resolve their conflict, failing that he may have to stay longer in the office.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-warns-he-may-stay-longer-in-office-if-opposing-political-groups-refuse-to-stop-fighting

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-29

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite a collection of BS offered there ' half jokingly ' said he might have to stay on, ' never entertained the idea of staying longer in the office ' and ' just wanted to stay in the office as necessity warrants '.

Let's try this again Mr. PM and this time with more sincerity. cheesy.gif

Terrible news. My only hope is that Gen P does not use the countries money to fund a personal PR campaign aimed at convincing the feeble minded/gullible that only Gen P cares for them, is good enough for them, and is the only one they will accept as ruler. This sort of machiavellian behavior has caused the country endless grief over the last 15 years or so.

If only Switzerland or Norway could annex Thailand and implement the necessary reforms. How sad there is not a single person living here that is capable of putting the country before himself.

Terrible news. My only hope is that Gen P does not use the countries money to fund a personal PR campaign aimed at convincing the feeble minded/gullible that only Gen P cares for them, is good enough for them, and is the only one they will accept as ruler. This sort of machiavellian behavior has caused the country endless grief over the last 15 years or so.

If only Switzerland or Norway could annex Thailand and implement the necessary reforms. How sad there is not a single person living here that is capable of putting the country before himself.

Too many people are apathetic. Only the rich and powerful fight - and that's for themselves.

At my work, the Thai staff hate one of their Thai bosses. They might say it to me quietly after a few drinks or to a close friend of theirs. They all feel the same way but won't talk about it as a group. The biggest fear apparently is if they started talking about a mutiny, there would be 'at the very least' 1 person who'd go the boss and grass them all up. Do whatever it takes to get to the top, right?

Loyalty and trust is a rare commodity these days. All over the world.

The country has been running better than when under Yingluck & prior"democratic" Gov'ts & PM Prayut has & is doing a good job.

Realistically,there has been little change to day to day living & in some respects has improved.

Yes, I know, the "naysayers" will say,"keep taking the medicine" !!

He is right....better than having some red mob burning downtown Bangkok again.

Better less democracy than deads on the street.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

Laws need to be enforced not tilted towards the privileged few.

He is right....better than having some red mob burning downtown Bangkok again.

Better less democracy than deads on the street.

I agree, but unless they actually try and resolve long standing issues, the tension will just grow and grow, and eventually come to a level where the public discontent becomes to great to be suppressed.

Daily platitudes and sound bites are not fooling anyone, and the longer it is all suppressed the more of a powder keg is being created.

The proposed Constitution made it clear to many that they are not even there to attempt to reform, reconcile, so unless they take an about turn in where they are aiming, unfortunately eventually the top is going to blow in a big way.

You can’t just keep kicking out elected Government who have millions supporting them, and then suddenly turn around and be surprised that violence erupts.

I may be missing something here, but I haven't noticed too much fighting between opposing political groups. I have heard lots of bullshit from Prayut about reconciliation, but I haven't seen to much action on that either.

His latest "unexpected" threat to stay on only goes to show what a liar and a thug he really is!

Thailand's agony continues.

The self elected one has never had any intention to leave his plum job , he was most probably planning to become PM two years before his retirement !

Just imagine, somewhere in the current ranks an officer, maybe more than one, is looking at his career with thoughts of reaching the top military job and BEYOND.

The country has been running better than when under Yingluck & prior"democratic" Gov'ts & PM Prayut has & is doing a good job.

Realistically,there has been little change to day to day living & in some respects has improved.

You spout about what the "naysayers" will say but in reality is this not exactly what P is sayin to everyone? Keep taking the medicine and it will get better soon?

Well the mention of the "five rivers" and pointing out that they are all part of the Junta says it all..........infighting and power play.......

And so it begins......the beginning of the end.....

Edited by AlQaholic

You spout about what the "naysayers" will say but in reality is this not exactly what P is sayin to everyone? Keep taking the medicine and it will get better soon?

Possibly, but ask yourself, is your life any worse since junta been in power? if yes, in what way?