Samui dead!

When you can walk up and buy a ticket in the first week of January off the island then it will be dead.

Samui will be packed again as usual...its a high end place now....not the tropical paradise it used to be.

Mostly its the taxi costs that keep me away...oh and the flight costs too.

No way I will get on a bike...lost too many friends on Samui that way.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get cheap flights including island transfer from Airasia, up in Chiang mai right now, return ticket from Samui, 3500 baht.

Not to Samui...don't care for ferries and all that <deleted>...other places I can just fly direct for that cost.

Not knocking Samui...but its the truth.

You can get cheap flights including island transfer from Airasia, up in Chiang mai right now, return ticket from Samui, 3500 baht.
Not to Samui...don't care for ferries and all that <deleted>...other places I can just fly direct for that cost.

Am flying in/out of Krabi/Trang in December for just over 4k Baht for two of us...to Samui with Bangkok Airways would be over 20k.

Its not worth the extra money...simple as that.

Telling it as it is is classed as negativity on here matey despite the fact that everyone i know here in business is having a very hard time of it. Thats the reality and ludicrous flight costs don't help one little bit. Oops there i go again....

Just say its great, never been better!! cheesy.gif

The calm before the storm of high season , its picking up and i can see another good year for samui,s smart operators as market demographics change businesses must adapt or fall by the wayside Thais will not adapt, westerners with business savvy will.

The calm before the storm of high season , its picking up and i can see another good year for samui,s smart operators as market demographics change businesses must adapt or fall by the wayside Thais will not adapt, westerners with business savvy will.

laugh.png

I know the OP & what business he is in, a very difficult & unique one on the island and I do feel for him, But for you other lot, look at yourselves, you know who you are, every year the same sarcasm, doom & gloom.

But hang on, you have been doing this for years, is it in your make up to just whine for the sake of it?

What does it say when you post the same thing year in year out?

If things have been in downturn since 2007, YES 2007 after you guys failed to see the false boom after the Tsunami, WHY are you still here?

Mind boggling. rolleyes.giflaugh.pnglaugh.png

Telling it as it is is classed as negativity on here matey despite the fact that everyone i know here in business is having a very hard time of it. Thats the reality and ludicrous flight costs don't help one little bit. Oops there i go again....

Just say its great, never been better!! cheesy.gif

Be careful you don't shoot yourself in the other foot Carmine!!!! You were having a good whine about lack of business a while back! tongue.png

Demographics and spending habits have changed, for many people from many countries ......exchange rates part of the reason ..... Some are just spending their money perhaps more wisely or with more discretion ? ~!

There are still many who come to Samui, more than once a year, some several times a year.... I know several, even in my small world! whistling.gif

Perhaps tourists don't want to stay somewhere that's very expensive and overbuilt with vast expanses of concrete.

Back in the early 90s, Samui was on my must stay list. Chaweng had a good mix of expensive resorts for those that like that sort of thing, plus lots of inexpensive places to stay. Where are the Charlie's Hut type place now? Long gone to be replaced by expensive villas type resorts. The last beach I stayed at was Maenam, and even that was fast falling to the greedy resort developers that only cared about making money, and to h**l with the environment.

Now I, and it seems that many others are voting with our feet not to stay on overdeveloped, expensive places any more.

Samui is quieter than previous low seasons and the last high season was quieter than previously.

A reflection of changes in exchange rates, increase in popularity of Vietnam and Cambodia for inexpensive travel and growth in budget airlines flying to other destinations.

One thing I've noted is unless you have a diverse client base and market to them you will lose.

Lama I beach road has some bars and restaurants full and the rest empty.

Clearly the busy Ines have the right product and atmosphere for customers. Its not always price.

I know a lot of the atmosphere comes from being busy but it must be said a better displayed menu , more inviting ambiance and smiling relaxed staff is a better look.

If its car or bike rental it seems every house shop and hotel even in back road housing areas is willing to rent bikes for 100 baht a day up to 200 depending on type and location ie bophut still really dear.

There is less visitors here but I would suggest mainly a change in type of visitor - more Chinese honeymooners and groups of couples on package tours (the new emerging middle class) who aren't looking to chill out in samui, they are looking to take a package holiday they got sold back home to any destination really) and a drop in Russians for sure but more Italians. Less Brits but still french and German. Less high end more budget savvy.

Less backpackers more choosing full moon party and heading away immediately.

The reputation of samui across Thailand is that its super expensive compared to other areas and this is a deterrent for them.

My work takes me around island businesses and to phuket and bangkok so this is all just my observations and from conversations with travellers.

It is low season but you need to bring the customer to not wait for foot traffic.

You make some very good points.

increase in popularity of Vietnam and Cambodia for inexpensive travel

Indeed. Not everyone by a long chalk wants to stay in a package tour resort. Many, like myself, want to go and find a cheap guest house or bungalow type place, and that is the sort of place that has vanished from Samui.

I bet you don't see many backpackers looking for somewhere to stay anywhere on Samui now, other than perhaps before the FMP.

The reputation of samui across Thailand is that its super expensive compared to other areas and this is a deterrent for them.

NOT a reputation- it's a FACT.

For that reason, I've never stayed there for many years now, and on another travel forum I used to frequent I never recommended Samui, preferring to direct them to Phangan.

Am flying in/out of Krabi/Trang in December for just over 4k Baht for two of us...to Samui with Bangkok Airways would be over 20k.

Its not worth the extra money...simple as that.

The middle path (price and convenience wise) is to use Phuket or Krabi as a gateway and then take the Bangkok Airways flight to Samui from there.

I know the OP & what business he is in, a very difficult & unique one on the island and I do feel for him, But for you other lot, look at yourselves, you know who you are, every year the same sarcasm, doom & gloom.

But hang on, you have been doing this for years, is it in your make up to just whine for the sake of it?

If things have been in downturn since 2007, YES 2007 after you guys failed to see the false boom after the Tsunami, WHY are you still here?

I think you are being rather short sighted here. Why is it mind boggling that some people reach a time in their life where the options to just up sticks and start again are simply an option no longer? Its just not that easy for others to just up and leave either.

If honesty requires the same posting year after year then i'd rather read honest posts than other that write through rose tinted spectacles or simply distort the truth as is their want.

If honesty is negativity then so be it but atlas its honesty and informing readers how you see things and right now i see naff all tourists, and a general air of concern regards tourist/business levels from both long term expat residents and Thais alike.

I am also interested to know what bubble some on here live in with their fantasy posting!! It is indeed mind bogglinglaugh.png

The middle path (price and convenience wise) is to use Phuket or Krabi as a gateway and then take the Bangkok Airways flight to Samui from there.

I don't recall the BA flight to Phuket from Samui as being hugely cheap but in any case taking two flights to get to Samui just isn't going to happen for us....its still a pleasant island even with the rampant construction of recent years but I'm also put off by having to take 500 Baht taxi rides everywhere once I arrive.

Plenty other places in the region where I am not fleeced in every way possible....and more importantly don't feel like its just an exercise in emptying my wallet at every turn.

I think you are being rather short sighted here. Why is it mind boggling that some people reach a time in their life where the options to just up sticks and start again are simply an option no longer? Its just not that easy for others to just up and leave either.

If honesty requires the same posting year after year then i'd rather read honest posts than other that write through rose tinted spectacles or simply distort the truth as is their want.

If honesty is negativity then so be it but atlas its honesty and informing readers how you see things and right now i see naff all tourists, and a general air of concern regards tourist/business levels from both long term expat residents and Thais alike.

I am also interested to know what bubble some on here live in with their fantasy posting!! It is indeed mind bogglinglaugh.png

Not short sighted at all Carmine. Business on the island has been topsy turvy since 2007. As I mentioned on many occasions demographics are changing, some businesses haven't been affected you might say they even prospered as they were able to adapt efficiently.

On the other hand many a businesses have closed or will close due to many factors as you might be aware, the folk that come & buy a bar thinking they will etch a living by having their friends frequent or do not have any business sense.

People who open a business saying but mine is different , without doing any market research or study.

How many posters have you seen here over the years asking about businesses? Heaps , what chances do you give their endeavours? These are unqualified people asking on a forum about starting a business, no wonder they go broke.

I know a bit blaze of me saying why are you still here, I address this quote mainly to people living here with no financial commitment , but like to whine anyway.

We have gone through periods such as this over the years, always seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, but you never see one poster on here saying gee business is great or booming when it picks up.

Many a business have changed their business plans & are trying to adapt to conditions or to future market forces, I know easier said then done with some lines of trade.

Something else another poster mentioned, the proliferation of the rental market for instance.

People forget the first car buyer plan & how many cars were sold.

How many of these are on the market for rent? Did this affect the rental sector? I would say it drowned it with over supply.

I mention this as one example, where it will be affecting a lot of posters on here as they run such outlets.

On the other hand a person I know in the rental market was not going too well, but took an active stance by subcontracting to hotels, to say the least in this instance, his business is growing in an extra competitive field, due to his approach.

To be honest, there is an overkill of a lot of businesses on the island, over saturated, something has to give.

Not hitting anyone on the head, nor am I saying only say rosy things about the island, but & that's a big BUT what does the average tourist reading the forum or whatever other Island discussion board have to do with hard times?

I feel for the long term businesses but what can one say? Things are changing all the time & very few can stay idle & not try to innovate or diversify.

Cheers to all , hope it will all work out.

Edited by Rooo

I agree with you Smokie, Samui needs another airport, the mob of bandits who own the present airport are really holding Samui to ransome. And the taxis are the greediest mob of theives on the island. Bangkok Air have had plenty of time to pay for the airport and now should be made to charge the same mileage rate as elsewhere. Plus their monoply needs to be broken, it is very unhealthy for other businesses on the island.

Edited by oldsailor35

I don't recall the BA flight to Phuket from Samui as being hugely cheap but in any case taking two flights to get to Samui just isn't going to happen for us....its still a pleasant island even with the rampant construction of recent years but I'm also put off by having to take 500 Baht taxi rides everywhere once I arrive.

Plenty other places in the region where I am not fleeced in every way possible....and more importantly don't feel like its just an exercise in emptying my wallet at every turn.

Haven't been to Samui since the songtheaw fare was 20 baht- what is it now- eg port to Chaweng?

Haven't been to Samui since the songtheaw fare was 20 baht- what is it now- eg port to Chaweng?

We went a couple of weeks ago and we phoned the resort to ask about transport. She said it would be 200 baht in songtheaw to Bophut or 400/500 in a private taxi. We ended up going in the Lomprayha minibus for 150 baht.

The day after we arrived we wanted a taxi up to the airport from Bophut, driver wanted 500 baht. We walked a 100 yards to the main road and flagged down a private taxi, got that for 300 baht.

At the Wharf in Bophut they have a big board with the set taxi fares, appears to be about 100 baht per kilometre, total rip off.

Perhaps tourists don't want to stay somewhere that's very expensive and overbuilt with vast expanses of concrete.

Back in the early 90s, Samui was on my must stay list. Chaweng had a good mix of expensive resorts for those that like that sort of thing, plus lots of inexpensive places to stay. Where are the Charlie's Hut type place now? Long gone to be replaced by expensive villas type resorts. The last beach I stayed at was Maenam, and even that was fast falling to the greedy resort developers that only cared about making money, and to h**l with the environment.

Now I, and it seems that many others are voting with our feet not to stay on overdeveloped, expensive places any more.

I loved Charlie's Hut. I was sad when that went away.

Not a new thought, but to restate the obvious:

A simple bus system, preferably with an automatic electronic card charging system, would benefit Samui tourism immensely. The current system adds a large cost to tourist budgets, generates much ill will (how many people have vowed to never return after bad transport experiences?), puts more and more cars on the road, and leads to many inexperienced motorbike riders creating havoc for themselves and others. Buses would also get some of drunk drivers (at least some farang drunk drivers) off of the roads.

The lack of such a system creates a tremendous cost in time, money, and injuries/deaths.

Considering the layout of Samui's roads, such a system would be quite easy to set up, given the political will. The total lack of any such political will makes me quite pessimistic about the overall business trajectory of Koh Samui. Because of the greater and greater strain on the road system, quality of expat life here will suffer as well, IMHO.