Samui dead!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you haven't noticed..

There is a recession in Europe/Russia/N. America for several years now..

..and it's starting to show.

Its not a lack of cash that's keeping some of us away...its value for money.

Where do you go to obtain "value for money" ?

Vietnam, Cambodia, Trang, Malaysia....and on and on.....!

Every year we get this"is samui dead"...........well its dead for some and its busy for others.The busiest places on samui are the roads,and they are beginning to be a pain in the arse,more cars,bikes,trucks etc and no where to widen the roads

And nowhere to park. Dare you park on Chaweng or Lamai Beach roads, you will find a long scratch down your paintwork as the taxis will tell you, "the curbs are reserved for us". And Samui's invisible traffic police are where ????

Perhaps tourists don't want to stay somewhere that's very expensive and overbuilt with vast expanses of concrete.

Back in the early 90s, Samui was on my must stay list. Chaweng had a good mix of expensive resorts for those that like that sort of thing, plus lots of inexpensive places to stay. Where are the Charlie's Hut type place now? Long gone to be replaced by expensive villas type resorts. The last beach I stayed at was Maenam, and even that was fast falling to the greedy resort developers that only cared about making money, and to h**l with the environment.

Now I, and it seems that many others are voting with our feet not to stay on overdeveloped, expensive places any more.

Menam has still a lot of this old style bungalow places and that old beach feeling. It's wonderful. And so other places on Samui as well. Chaweng? Also a lot of inexpensive resorts right on the beach and more than ever modern, clean guest houses in the second row behind. Some for a few hundred Baht with aircon and Wifi.

Many people know that. People who don't know that, but would be interested to come to such places, are maybe reading Samui forums like that and ask themselves better not to come, if it is 'that terrible'.

Perhaps tourists don't want to stay somewhere that's very expensive and overbuilt with vast expanses of concrete.

Back in the early 90s, Samui was on my must stay list. Chaweng had a good mix of expensive resorts for those that like that sort of thing, plus lots of inexpensive places to stay. Where are the Charlie's Hut type place now? Long gone to be replaced by expensive villas type resorts. The last beach I stayed at was Maenam, and even that was fast falling to the greedy resort developers that only cared about making money, and to h**l with the environment.

Now I, and it seems that many others are voting with our feet not to stay on overdeveloped, expensive places any more.

Menam has still a lot of this old style bungalow places and that old beach feeling. It's wonderful. And so other places on Samui as well. Chaweng? Also a lot of inexpensive resorts right on the beach and more than ever modern, clean guest houses in the second row behind. Some for a few hundred Baht with aircon and Wifi.

Many people know that. People who don't know that, but would be interested to come to such places, are maybe reading Samui forums like that and ask themselves better not to come, if it is 'that terrible'.

Yep I agree, with Birdman! thumbsup.gif

..... not only Maenam, but BanTai, Ban Por have nice resort and beach areas in all price ranges from 290.00 baht to sky's the limit with some... but many moderately priced and good value! (some areas on the west and south coast too!)

People have choices if they care to look, food and drink generally much cheaper too on the north end of Samui...

It's probably why one sees many of the same people returning year after year, and some more than once a year....

Chawang and Lamai, are much higher rent districts, prices for consumers are reflected with that.... wink.png

..... not only Maenam, but BanTai, Ban Por have nice resort and beach areas in all price ranges from 290.00 baht to sky's the limit with some... but many moderately priced and good value! (some areas on the west and south coast too!)

People have choices if they care to look, food and drink generally much cheaper too on the north end of Samui...

It's probably why one sees many of the same people returning year after year, and some more than once a year....

Chawang and Lamai, are much higher rent districts, prices for consumers are reflected with that.... wink.png

You have to be kidding Jimmy...the abundance of cheap rooms in Chaweng across from the beach road at under 1000 Baht or the cheap huts in Lamai?

The cost of accommodation is not really an issue on the island...one thing which is plentiful in all budget ranges.

You have to be kidding Jimmy...the abundance of cheap rooms in Chaweng across from the beach road at under 1000 Baht or the cheap huts in Lamai?

The cost of accommodation is not really an issue on the island...one thing which is plentiful in all budget ranges.

I can fix a room on beach road Chaweng for 500 baht in five minutes.

I can fix a room on beach road Chaweng for 500 baht in five minutes.

Only cos it takes you four minutes to guzzle a free beer! B)

So I can stay far away from the sand on Chaweng or right on the sand on many Phangan beaches for same price- no contest. Phangan wins every time.

The middle path (price and convenience wise) is to use Phuket or Krabi as a gateway and then take the Bangkok Airways flight to Samui from there.

I don't recall the BA flight to Phuket from Samui as being hugely cheap but in any case taking two flights to get to Samui just isn't going to happen for us....its still a pleasant island even with the rampant construction of recent years but I'm also put off by having to take 500 Baht taxi rides everywhere once I arrive.

Plenty other places in the region where I am not fleeced in every way possible....and more importantly don't feel like its just an exercise in emptying my wallet at every turn.

Haven't been to Samui since the songtheaw fare was 20 baht- what is it now- eg port to Chaweng?

We went a couple of weeks ago and we phoned the resort to ask about transport. She said it would be 200 baht in songtheaw to Bophut or 400/500 in a private taxi. We ended up going in the Lomprayha minibus for 150 baht.

The day after we arrived we wanted a taxi up to the airport from Bophut, driver wanted 500 baht. We walked a 100 yards to the main road and flagged down a private taxi, got that for 300 baht.

At the Wharf in Bophut they have a big board with the set taxi fares, appears to be about 100 baht per kilometre, total rip off.

Thanks. Guess I won't be rushing back soon then.

A few hardy travelers arriving yesterday at Lomprayah, Maenam...It's not totally dead!

Nov%2525202015-22.jpg

Fixed price chart, for Lomprayah passengers ... for the mini van service which drops people off at their hotel...all quite well organised too!

Nov%2525202015-12.jpg

So they built a new pier at Maenam then. I came to Samui at the old pier many, many years ago, but for a long time just a few poles in the water to remind me where it used to be.

A few hardy travelers arriving yesterday at Lomprayah, Maenam...It's not totally dead!

Nov%2525202015-22.jpg

Fixed price chart, for Lomprayah passengers ... for the mini van service which drops people off at their hotel...all quite well organised too!

Nov%2525202015-12.jpg

So they built a new pier at Maenam then. I came to Samui at the old pier many, many years ago, but for a long time just a few poles in the water to remind me where it used to be.

It is not a new pier, an additional one, main pier still at Nathon. I think you can only go to Phangan from Maenam.

Talking numbers, when I got off the ferry from Surat Thani to Samui on Sat 10th Oct about 11 am, 8 other people got off at the same time. The Lomprayha minibus service was excellent, only 2 couples to be dropped off.

So I can stay far away from the sand on Chaweng or right on the sand on many Phangan beaches for same price- no contest. Phangan wins every time.

There is a beach on KPG where the average price of a room is more expensive than the average price of a room on a beach on Samui. There are resorts right on Chaweng beach which coast about the same like many resorts right on beaches on KPG .... etc etc. Comparing like that is pointless. Sure, both islands are more expensive than the mainland. So is Phuket, Koh Chang, Koh Lanta, Koh Kood etc etc. But I would say Samui is also very affordable, because it has in all price ranges a lot to offer for everyone.

Edited by Birdman

There is no doubt, that all the islands have some nice areas, that are reasonably priced to being very expensive ... Mae Haad on Koh Phangan is certainly one area that is reasonable prices resorts, depending on which resort one chooses..thumbsup.gif

Tons of choices, for quiet areas or "party" areas and all the three islands...

As for the Lomprayah pier at Maenam, the one shown is a year or three old, replacing the old one that used to be in the same area...

The early Lomprayah ferry from Tongsala around (7 am?) goes to Nathon, but there is also one that leaves Tongsala around 11 am (the one that comes from Chumphon) again another leaves KP around 4.20

It should be noted that during stormy weather the Lomprayah ferry sometimes arrives or leaves from Nathon...

Check Lomprayah .. or Seatran websites for time tables...

The resort next to me is getting a lot of bookings and inquiries now for December - March ..... they will be coming! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Arrivals in Samui are the highest they have ever been. It's the kind of tourists that is changing.

Many more tourists now are Chinese, Russian, or Boutique hotel guests. They never leave their resort while here. They stay in the hotel bar drinking. They eat in the hotel restaurant, and they go on tours organised through the hotel.

So businesses located in the tourism precincts are struggling, while resorts are making a fortune.

Edited by bilboinnit

I like Lamaii beach but won't pay the crazy flight fares any longer. Roughly 5000Baht each from BKK to Samui. Not going to do the cheaper flight and then take a bus either. So we fly into Don Muang, taxi to Jomtein Beach. Much easier, much cheaper.

You can get a taxi from Surat Thani airport too. It's no further than going from Don Muang-Jomtien.

I like Lamaii beach but won't pay the crazy flight fares any longer. Roughly 5000Baht each from BKK to Samui. Not going to do the cheaper flight and then take a bus either. So we fly into Don Muang, taxi to Jomtein Beach. Much easier, much cheaper.

You can get a taxi from Surat Thani airport too. It's no further than going from Don Muang-Jomtien.

How much would this taxi cost?

Double whatever it says on the meter :)

Double whatever it says on the meter smile.png

Oh come on you guys!...facepalm.giftongue.png

... the buses are cheap and clean from the airport, fixed price joint ticket include the ferry, then the mini bus services are also quite reasonable and not that much of an ordeal to get to a hotel ...

Yesterday I saw at least ten Safari trucks running around between Maenam and Big C, and they were not all filled with Chinese...rolleyes.gif but everyone was a bit wet! wink.png

But a lot longer and more expensive. It's about the same time from the airport to the ferry as it is from DM to Jomtien, and then you have the ferry and a taxi ride on Samui.

Arrivals in Samui are the highest they have ever been. It's the kind of tourists that is changing.

Many more tourists now are Chinese, Russian, or Boutique hotel guests. They never leave their resort while here. They stay in the hotel bar drinking. They eat in the hotel restaurant, and they go on tours organised through the hotel.

So businesses located in the tourism precincts are struggling, while resorts are making a fortune.

You could be right.

This is my 10th year coming to Lamai and I have never seen the bars so empty. They also seem to stay open as long as there are punters.

I was walking back at 0330 last night and loads were still open with music playing.

Definitely a change of tourist type though I am sure that will change next month. Speaking to a bar owner, they all seem to be banking on a good Dec and Jan.

Iv just returned from a week long trip to Samui. I can understand that in the past the island must have been quite charming, in fact a holidaymakers dream find. Unfortunately these days it's nothing more than an overpriced has-been. Any charm that previously existed is now long gone and has been replaced by an overpricing greed that seems to have spread itself throughout the island.

I personally can't think of any compelling reason to return and probably won't.

It’s like reliving previous years treads about Samui this time of the season, and when later reading various statistics about annual incoming passengers, the numbers are always up, up, and up – however some years small percentage only, whilst other parts of Asia are down…

I agree with user “bilboinnit” in post #79 – it’s the kind of visitors that have changed.

Some years in October, November, and early December has been loaded with tourists – a few years ago I think topped – but the last two years the number has been more down to “normal”, due to not so many Russians and visitors from other countries suffering with currency exchange rate and/or financials in general.

I still remember the first period I visited Samui, back from 2001 and a few years ahead, where it was normal many places closed from November 1st and until Xmas, reopened between 15th and 20th December – resorts were normally full from 22nd or 23rd – now most places keep open all year.

I have a number of friends who used to come to Samui on backpacker terms – that’s how they originally came here decades ago – but the later years their preference of fan-huts have been replaced with decent aircon-room, and the 30 baht fried-rice-chicken and free drinking water from Street kitchen-style diners has been changed with more up-end restaurants; so even some of regulars has changed.

And I also notice that the young folks today – those we “old-timers” would expect to be backpackers – are traveling on quite a different budget level; they demand nice aircon rooms, good restaurants and trendy cafés, discos rather than bars – just take a look at Chaweng Beach – even their shopping expectations are not for the cheap copies, but genuine brand names.

On top comes the numerous high-end 5-star resorts – actually the highest concentration in Thailand – that pops up every time land that used to hold old-time backpacker place is sold; for kind of guest who gladly pays astronomically amounts for accommodation, looked with more modest eyes. I also have few friends coming on such a budget level, friends who don’t care so much, or at all about price – or “Bandit” Airways’ fare – but just wish to pamper themselves. People you may not notice much outside the resorts, except for at trendy fine dining, special arranged tours or private boats/cars, and perhaps high-end brand name stores.

Oops, think I’m repeating myself from last year...whistling.gif

If you cast your mind back you will remember that for many years Burma was blacklisted as a tourist destination by many western tourists who did not want to support the Burmese junta with their tourist dollars.

Thailand is at least fortunate to have a lot of Chinese tourists who have never heard of political correctness.

If things are quiet now then the best thing to do is go with the flow and cater to the cinese by at least putting all menus and signs in zChinese.

There is a beach on KPG where the average price of a room is more expensive than the average price of a room on a beach on Samui. There are resorts right on Chaweng beach which coast about the same like many resorts right on beaches on KPG .... etc etc. Comparing like that is pointless. Sure, both islands are more expensive than the mainland. So is Phuket, Koh Chang, Koh Lanta, Koh Kood etc etc. But I would say Samui is also very affordable, because it has in all price ranges a lot to offer for everyone.

If it is the beach on KPG that I am thinking of about 80% of the rooms are in 4 or 5 star resorts, so of course that is going to raise the average room rate.

If Samui is dead (or dying) can someone explain to me why Lomprayah advised me yesterday that they were adding another daily run to and from Donsak later this month (on top of the one they added ~18 months ago) surely if no one was coming they wouldn't need 4 round trips a day.

Snark aside, there are still people coming, the clientele might be changing but that is true of everywhere, even backpackers won't accept what people in their price range considered luxury 20 years ago. Sometimes you just have to look at your business case again and see what needs to change.