Wife needed for driving license

RayD

My one year temporary motorcycle is just about to expire so I went to the office to get a five year one.

I'm on a non imm o. The office asked for a medical certificate, OK, easy. Address certificate from immigration because no work permit, okaay, bit more difficult because immigration is 50 kms away, but doable, and then stumped me by asking for my wife to come to the counter! I'd just flogged 80 kms from one end the province to the other so nipping home to get her not on. Insisted, must talk to wife. No wife, no license. So, no license.

This seems to be a new one?

To get a five year licence you need:

The one year license

Passport and copies

Medical certificate

Address certificate or work permit

500Baht

What is there to talk about?

BTW my office has a girl who speaks better English tan my Thai, and there was no misunderstanding.

It's recommended for the test if your Thai isn't too hot but the Thai needed is quite rudimentary, I didn't have problem with it.

I was taken aback by their attitude because they couldn't have been more helpful when I got the one year. Different officer I guess.

Dabhand, yes I thought of that. Unfortunately wifey had switched phone off and was taking a nap while the farang was away. And, yup, my little lotus blossom is one of those.

Apparently you have a year to do it so I'll get the paperwork together and try again in a few weeks. If they refuse again I'll ask for the supervisor as apetly suggests and if still no go I'll take a bus to the next province as kwaibah suggests.

Dabhand, yes I thought of that. Unfortunately wifey had switched phone off and was taking a nap while the farang was away. And, yup, my little lotus blossom is one of those.

Apparently you have a year to do it so I'll get the paperwork together and try again in a few weeks. If they refuse again I'll ask for the supervisor as apetly suggests and if still no go I'll take a bus to the next province as kwaibah suggests.

How do they know you have a wife?

Your wife switched her phone 'off'?

I'm pretty sure that no thai lady goes anywhere near the off button on her phone ever. Very suspicious. wink.png

Why not just ride your bike to the next province?

Ahh .. Our local DLT isn't the provincial HQ and he asked for my wife to come and fill in the firms which were all in Thai .. Neither he or anyone else in the center wanted to lose face by attempting to speak English - so I found some college kids walking past outside.

Also print up this and work down the check list - nothing about wife attending

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88